Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Forum Feedback Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

JT26 wrote: »
    I don't understand how anyone would be in favour of using such sexist childish names like Maureen,Brenda etc they bring nothing to the forum!

They have probably been mentioned more in this thread than they have in the last 5 years on the site. I have never seen them used myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Why is Kess still a mod? He hasn't even logged into Boards for 9 months.

Surely his modship(?) could be taken up by someone else.

Anybody?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I suppose mods take breaks from time to time through external circumstances etc and everyone tries to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Anybody?

Maybe he's posing as another poster. Undercover.

"What up, fellow regular posters. Up to anything that would break the charter tonight?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Keno wrote: »
    Maybe he's posing as another poster. Undercover.

"What up, fellow regular posters. Up to anything that would break the charter tonight?"

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anybody?

I assumed he was with busy with working and travelling. Hopefully he'll be back at some stage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I dont think mods should feel under pressure to check in regularly either, it's a volunteer position after all. As long as enough numbers are there to cover it shouldn't be a problem. The admins do a spring clean now and again anyway AFAIK.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

K-9 wrote: »
    I dont think mods should feel under pressure to check in regularly either, it's a volunteer position after all. As long as enough numbers are there to cover it shouldn't be a problem. The admins do a spring clean now and again anyway AFAIK.

Nobody is asking them to check in everyday, but surely it makes more sense to have Mods who are on every day? Or most days at least.

Looking at Mods and Activity.

Beastys last post was 2 months ago
    Steve 0 posts from what I can find
    Sparks 0 posts from what I can find

Edit: Cat Mods, Nevermind ^ :P

Thanks 4 the fish has 1 post in over a month

Kess/Frisbee have already been mentioned for inactive.

The others, you all made the cut congrats :P

I'm not saying that because these posters don't post they don't do there MOD duties. But I'd definetly be suprised if they where on top of things.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just fyi, Beasty, Steve and Sparks aren't mods of the soccer forum they're Category Mods.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just fyi, Beasty, Steve and Sparks aren't mods of the soccer forum they're Category Mods.

Edited, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The general feeling I'm getting from this thread is that the place is better moderated than it's ever been.
    Is there really any more mods needed? Are people looking for the inactive mods to be replaced or just wanting the title of mod taken away from them just for the sake of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

BMMachine wrote: »
    Honestly, what trolling is allowed? The humour thread seems to be a place where you can troll to your hearts content without much happening. Recent post "bindipping *****" being used to associate with Liverpool fans. So, you can breach the charter by .jpeg or .gif but god help you if you actually type the words?

Inconsistent moderating is my biggest problem with the forum. It seems more of a "who you are" as regards to what you can say and how you can breach the charter
    This. The humour thread is abused by certain fans, one in particular, who just post non stop Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool ****e as a way of getting a cheap dig in without being infracted for trolling. It's clearly trolling, but it's allowed to happen all the time. I don't like Liverpool or Rodgers but All it does is ruin a good thread.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The general feeling I'm getting from this thread is that the place is better moderated than it's ever been.
    Is there really any more mods needed? Are people looking for the inactive mods to be replaced or just wanting the title of mod taken away from them just for the sake of it?

Ya, I'm sure they know better than anyone what is required here so not really a point in discussing it even.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not a lot to add myself other than I agree with what most have said already. I think this place is running as good as I have seen since I joined, fair play to the lads that do it.

Please keep the humour thread otherwise I'll need to find something else to do for the first 10 minutes of my break each day. It is a throlling thread but if you know that going in whats the bother, some of the stuff is comical!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beastys last post was 2 months ago

Sorted!!

Just on the topic of mod numbers, it is something we discuss within the Soccer Mods forum quite regularly. Anyone who is a regular here will know we've had a few excellent mods stepping down over the past year or so, but overall have slightly upped the number. We are fully aware that Kess has not been around for a while but currently feel things have been running quite smoothly anyway (and thanks to everyone, particularly the current mod team, for that).

If at any time the mod team thinks they may need more help (or the CMods think it may not go amiss) we will have another look at the modding resource.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ah the humour thread is great. I love it. I dont get why people think it is trolling when pics a re posted in there that may not be acceptable in superthreads.

You arent allowed to reply in the humour thread as far as I know so you cant really be trolling, being that a troll is usually looking for a reaction.

Its called the Humour thread for a reason.

5starpool wrote: »
    Ya, I'm sure they know better than anyone what is required here so not really a point in discussing it even.

Yeah, almost sure it's a feedback thread! Buy sure ya know the crack.

It's a fair point having an extra mod if required. It's not a full on requirement but it was mentioned earlier and someone did answer the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

adox wrote: »
    Ah the humour thread is great. I love it. I dont get why people think it is trolling when pics a re posted in there that may not be acceptable in superthreads.

You arent allowed to reply in the humour thread as far as I know so you cant really be trolling, being that a troll is usually looking for a reaction.

But the vast majority of stuff posted in there just isn't humorous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well thats totally subjective really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Not for whatever team is doing ****e at that moment. For the rest yeah it is. Sorry Pool fan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Humour is subjective

I don't understand anyway, if you think the majority of stuff isn't funny in the thread, why do you click into it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Beasty wrote: »
    Sorted!!

Just on the topic of mod numbers, it is something we discuss within the Soccer Mods forum quite regularly. Anyone who is a regular here will know we've had a few excellent mods stepping down over the past year or so, but overall have slightly upped the number. We are fully aware that Kess has not been around for a while but currently feel things have been running quite smoothly anyway (and thanks to everyone, particularly the current mod team, for that).

If at any time the mod team thinks they may need more help (or the CMods think it may not go amiss) we will have another look at the modding resource.

Beastys last activity was 25 mins ago. He should have a coup and cull the others. They aint pulling their weight.

Nobody is obligated to click on the humour thread. If it wasn't there the superthreads would have the same posts lumped in with everything else. Be grateful it's there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

fullstop wrote: »
    I don't like Liverpool or Rodgers but All it does is ruin a good thread.

Ruin a good thread? Just what exactly is the humor thread then?

Funny jokes allowed as long as they don't upset delicate sensibilities? Humorous puns as long as they don't make fun of a team? Funny pictures but only if they relate to fictional teams so as not to upset the easily upset?

Its a humour thread. It has funny pictures and gifs. Its a soccer humor thread and so those funny pics and gifs will relate to various teams and players. What exactly is the problem here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not for whatever team is doing ****e at that moment. For the rest yeah it is. Sorry Pool fan!
    Not a Liverpool fan, afaik.

The humour thread fulfils a great function in keeping the 'trolling' to a clearly defined thread.

If there is one single reason the forum is running more effectively this last while, that thread is it!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Offering a bit of feedback myself regards the humour thread, how would folks feel about making it strictly images/vids only like YLYL?

Not a Liverpool fan, afaik.

The humour thread fulfils a great function in keeping the 'trolling' to a clearly defined thread.

If there is one single reason the forum is running more effectively this last while, that thread is it!

Agree completely.

They thread alone has helped cut down the trolling.

Offering a bit of feedback myself regards the humour thread, how would folks feel about making it strictly images/vids only like YLYL?

Isn't that what it is already?

It copied that model iirc

• Advertisement

One thing to be said as well about the Humour thread. With the ban in place for chat its stopped it becoming a proper cesspit of moaning and bitching and back and forth cat calling.

One week Utd are the butt of the jokes, next week its Pool, the following week its Chelsea, the week after it could be a funny OG, it goes on and on.

Any post that has been seriously offensive like one that was posted a few days ago was carded and taken care of it and thats how it should continue as the post wasnt exactly in good humour but pretty abusive.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Isn't that what it is already?

It copied that model iirc

Not really, people make text based posts all the time on it, copying and pasting tweets usually but sometimes attempting to crack a joke. From my point of view it blurs the "no chat" rule a bit too much and makes it hard to enforce in that folks often just say they were trying to be funny in the humour thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Humour thread comes back to inconsistent modding again.

Those who are defending it are the ones most likely complaining about it and derailing it last year. The no Liverpool/United rubbish was brought in to appease them and has now just fallen by the wayside.

It almost exclusively is Mick.

Barring from say taking the text of someones Twitter joke if you cant embed said joke or quote.

I think text based jokes wont really work in that medium and theres very few in there AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not really, people make text based posts all the time on it, copying and pasting tweets usually but sometimes attempting to crack a joke. From my point of view it blurs the "no chat" rule a bit too much and makes it hard to enforce in that folks often just say they were trying to be funny in the humour thread.
    There was a good joke a few years ago about ManU, who were going through a bad run of form, when the Championship was sponsored by Nationwide Building society, where Ferguson fainted while lodging his paycheck and when he woke he asked where he was and was answered "The Nationwide".

"What, already?" was his reply:pac:

Wouldn't that fall outside the new parameters of the Humour thread while still being funny enough to have to go in there?

It's working well as it is, tbf.

There was a good joke a few years ago about ManU, who were going through a bad run of form, when the Championship was sponsored by Nationwide Building society, where Ferguson fainted while lodging his paycheck and when he woke he asked where he was and was answered "The Nationwide".

"What, already?" was his reply:pac:

Wouldn't that fall outside the new parameters of the Humour thread while still being funny enough to have to go in there?

It's working well as it is, tbf.

It would yeah, fair point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The Humour Thread is also very popular among those who read the forum but may not post with over a million views - more than any of the Superthreads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Humour thread comes back to inconsistent modding again.

Those who are defending it are the ones most likely complaining about it and derailing it last year. The no Liverpool/United rubbish was brought in to appease them and has now just fallen by the wayside.

Wrong. That was brought in a couple of months into last season when Liverpool were getting it in the neck.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92724896&postcount=3408

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

There could be stricter rules applied to match threads so discussion stays on course and anyone pushing agendas and such would be carded.

So like the humour thread is less heavy handed the Match thread could be more heavy handed.

Or and it probably not feesible 2 match threads for big games, again 1 for discussion and 1 for a bit of back and forth so it caters for both sides.

Like watching a game with normal commentary or Fanzone

• Advertisement

There could be stricter rules applied to match threads so discussion stays on course and anyone pushing agendas and such would be carded.

So like the humour thread is less heavy handed the Match thread could be more heavy handed.

Or and it probably not feesible 2 match threads for big games, again 1 for discussion and 1 for a bit of back and forth so it caters for both sides.

Like watching a game with normal commentary or Fanzone

IMO, thats a no go. Theres bound to be issues that would kick off both threads and probably at the same time doubling the Mod teams workload.

A dodgy penalty call, offside goal, red card or something that would put both threads up in arms and instead of say 2 or 3 posts to deal with you could have dobule that and in a fast moving thread, like most match threads are, trying to mod both of them would be a nightmare IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

O ya if we could card people who read one superthread see their team mentioned and go back to their own and label a whole set of supporters obsessed.

Mainly cause its makes them look a bit silly.

My biggest issue with the match thread is when reading something mid game, then the next 20 posts to scroll through are all

'goallllllllllllllllllllllllll' etc etc

Alas, we've all done it in a big game etc and I realize nothing can really be done about it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This very thread shows they do get a reaction, though this is the thread to discuss it.

In fairness if somebody is using a humour thread to indulge their obsessiveness about a rival club, well everybody will see through it. Some of the thanks might be more of the laughing at you variety than with you. Everybody is in on the joke really.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

dfx- wrote: »
    The Humour Thread is also very popular among those who read the forum but may not post with over a million views - more than any of the Superthreads.

True, but probably mostly down to the humour thread being open for three years now while the main superthreads have been only going a few weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

so its the one thread that can break the site-wide rule of no trolling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ah seriously let it go. If you think that thread is trolling avoid it. It can be somewhat funny sometimes, a lot of them don't do it for me but it's worth scrolling through the crap to get the good stuff. It's not trolling to have a light hearted dig at someone doing poorly.

Every club is on the end of them over time. You did bring up a few in poor taste the other day that were trolling. Report them and let the mods do the work. If trolling posts are reported then the mods can act and over time we will reduce the number of planks blatantly trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Report it to the admins or feedback or wherever so.
    You won't get your answer here. But at least you won't be flogging your dead horse here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I joined here in 2011.
    There has been a huge improvement in the quality of posters and the quality of modding in the intervening period imo.

A clamp down on blatantly obvious wum's and the continued contributions of some really good posters, right across the whole forum, have all been part of the reason for this.

i'm not sure if I'd change anything about the lot of it tbh, the humour thread is fine, the match threads are a bit mental but easily avoided, and the baiting between certain posters is being kept in check. The boards SF has escalated to probably the first port of call for all football news, opinions, commentaries and stories.....

For me, if it ain't broke.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

The word trolling is being bandied about far too loosely in this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement