Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Callan man has legal challenge rejected by the high court

Options
  • 05-06-2015 6:24pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/marriage-ref-challenge-2144931-Jun2015/
    THE HIGH COURT has denied two applications to challenge the result of the marriage equality referendum......
    The second application was being brought by Kilkenny gardener Maurice Lyons. He sought to challenge the result on a number of Constitutional grounds.

He argued that the proposal was repugnant to the constitution because it brought uncertainty to it.

Lyons said that the referendum would require a number of statutes to be introduced and that these were not seen by the people ahead of the vote.

He also argued that the referendum was passed by only 37% of the Irish citizens who are registered to vote.

The decision by those to ‘stay at home’ and not vote should be considered a desire to maintain the status quo, he argued.
    In rejecting the appeal on this argument, Justice Kearns said that this was a “very radical submission”.

The State, namely the Attorney General and Referendum Commission, argued that the referendum was passed by the Irish people with a “thumping majority”.

Justice Kearns made reference to this and said that the size of a majority “has been identified by the Supreme Court as a fact that can be considered significant.”

Costs were also awarded against both men with the judge adding that he “may have taken a different view had any substantive arguments been made.” This was not the case.

Urgency

Earlier, both applicants had requested that the proceedings be adjourned to allow them time to review responding submissions from the State.

Justice Kearns refused this request for the adjournment saying that “this is a matter of urgency”.

“There could be couples with serious illnesses with plans that could be put on hold,” he said.

I'm happy to see the judge reject this type of nonsense and also that the judge is making them pay costs. It's only right the tax payer doesn't fit the bill for this type of time wasting.

I had a good google yesterday to find out if this guy had any previous track record for legal stuff and it seems he does - http://www.politicalworld.org/archive/index.php/t-3269.html
    Maurice Lyons from Kilkenny has been imprisoned in Midlands Prison, Portlaoise since 2/07/09. He refused to accept a separation order. Technically he is in contempt of court for not acknowledging a judicial order of separation, granted to his wife and him although he never requested it. As an apparently devout Catholic, Maurice has never desired or agreed to a separation and believes that the State has not made a serious effort to bring about a reconciliation in his family - something that Irish law mandates before a divorce or separation is considered - and so the State is acting illegally, as well as against God's law.

The National Men's Council of Ireland are pursuing this case on Maurice's behalf.

From what I hear locally he's a pretty religious chap, I sort of find it amusing that he rejects the states intervention in his own marriage when they allowed his wife a separation order but he wants the state to control everyone else's via the constitution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Not sure if he was represented by a firm of solicitors but when he was jailed for contempt regarding the legal separation/divorce that his wife consented to but he didn't saying a reconciliation was a possibility etc., this crowd sent a letter to Min. for Justice > https://rationshed.wordpress.com/2009/07/02/ireland-letter-to-the-minister-of-justice-re-irregular-arrest-and-detention-by-the-gardai-of-husband-who-wants-to-maintain-the-integrity-of-his-marriage/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

These crackpots should be fined for wasting court time. Absolute farcical nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'd say the poor ex wife was never happier to get away from this loon. Good for her. Another pathetic John Waters type.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

road_high wrote: »
    These crackpots should be fined for wasting court time. Absolute farcical nonsense.

They basically have been, they now have to pay costs upwards of 20 to 50k, thing is, whoever is backing them are likely going to pay these costs. But still

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Cabaal wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/marriage-ref-challenge-2144931-Jun2015/

I'm happy to see the judge reject this type of nonsense and also that the judge is making them pay costs. It's only right the tax payer doesn't fit the bill for this type of time wasting.

I had a good google yesterday to find out if this guy had any previous track record for legal stuff and it seems he does - http://www.politicalworld.org/archive/index.php/t-3269.html

From what I hear locally he's a pretty religious chap, I sort of find it amusing that he rejects the states intervention in his own marriage when they allowed his wife a separation order but he wants the state to control everyone else's via the constitution.

That's the way it always is with those types, one rule for me a different for those i don't agree with. A good current example of this atm is that family in america on tv with like the 17 kids, where the son molested 5+ women including his sisters but he asked jebus for forgiveness so why are people so upset by it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

He also argued that the referendum was passed by only 37% of the Irish citizens who are registered to vote.

The decision by those to ‘stay at home’ and not vote should be considered a desire to maintain the status quo, he argued.
    I lol'd. This is totally how elections work, right? :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Of for feck sake,

http://www.thejournal.ie/court-marriage-referendum-2152014-Jun2015/
    Men press on with their legal challenges against the marriage referendum

AN APPLICATION FOR a stay restraining the issuing of a certificate verifying the result of the same sex marriage referendum will come before the Court of Appeal later this week.

Advertisement