Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famiy Law/Divorce/Mortgage

• 05-06-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16

Hi,

I am currently going through a divorce and can no longer pay the mortgage on the martial home my wife and older kids live in.
    I have been applying for interest only for the last year but can not afford to keep it up and pay child support and it's come to me not being able to support myself and go further and further into debt.
    She wants the house in divorce and me to continue paying off the mortgage but that is just not feasible.
    It has not gone to court and I am getting free legal aid which has not given me any advice.
    I was prepared to sell the home and let her have what was left out of it as it is not in negative equity however there is approx 80/100 grand at most after sale if it sold in this slow market and this would not buy another home in the area suitable but all this was refused.
    I am at the point that I am willing to surrender the property to the bank voluntarily as I know I can not afford the mortgage but I am unsure what I can legally do with the property at this point with her living in it.
    Can I sell I try and sell the house? Can I surrender the house?
    Is there a law that means I can not touch the house until the case goes to court and the judge decides even if i am unable to pay mortgage?
    Surley its not in anyones best interest if the bank ends up repossessing as I can not pay.
    Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Legal aid should be advising you on this. Have you had any mediation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 blahbaba

Yes we have had mediation a few times now and it has not resulted in anything she just wants everything there is no negotiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

Legal aid should be advising you on this. Have you had any mediation?

Mediation in family law is a joke....most solicitors prefer to go straight to court. It is a myth.

Advertisement