Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Summer Withdrawals Thread

• 05-06-2015 9:12pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭

At this time for the last 37 Fridays we've had absolutely amazing entertainment to look forward to, now this week we have nothing, I really need to hear stories of other peoples misery to make me feel better about myself :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sigh

*looks out window*

sigh...

*picks up remote*

sigh...

*puts down remote*

sigh...

*looks out window*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭tafkach

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sigh *puts down remote*

*picks up remote*

*for the first time in 37 weeks doesnt feel like throwing the remote though the television*

*puts down remote*

Oh, Mrs Browns Boys is on BBC.

sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I remember that County Anon chap used to start this thread every summer.

*sigh*

*sigh*

I always felt that lad was trouble.

Acted the maggot, y'know? One of those messers down the back of the class, y'know?

(Wonder can I annoy him into coming back?)

• Advertisement

Um...The Clare Balding Show starts on BBC in a few mins.

She was on the late late once, should we watch that?

I always felt that lad was trouble.

Acted the maggot, y'know? One of those messers down the back of the class, y'know?

You're right, he always was a bit...Unruly ;)

Anybody hear 'Callan's Kicks' before? Let's just say, when Ray D'Arcy's new TV show starts (boo-urns) Mr. Callan may not be first on the guest list :)

What'd he say? In between the Micheal D Higgins laugh bollocks?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah I remember this time last year being excited about the World Cup starting and Billo's last hurrah

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Peter Kay on Chatty Man

• Advertisement

Ah I remember this time last year being excited about the World Cup starting and Billo's last hurrah

*sigh*

Ah, stop it, you're killing me!

What'd he say? In between the Micheal D Higgins laugh bollocks?

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20792316%3A0%3A%3A

I clicked on that, and it wanted to download it to my phone.

Oliver Callan jokes on my phone.

Jesus, Welshie, that's not cool, man. Not cool at all.

:-D:-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just start a Graham Norton Show thread.

Love it or hate it - I always miss it. Friday night just isn't the same :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

At this point in time, I haven't got much to add ... hope the Summer Interlude goes well for everyone.

I watched this epic documentary about the legendary US Talk Show host Johnny Carson last night. It's a long one, but if you are interested in that kind of thing it's well worth a look. I couldn't find any reference to misery guests anywhere, for some reason ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭tafkach

Friday is just not the same without having something to give out about... I mean, if you take away giving out, there's not much left that I'm good at.....

Well, I'm okay at "acting the maggot", and I'd pass at "shooting the breeze", but definitely world class at giving out about Tubridy...

tafkach wrote: »
    Friday is just not the same without having something to give out about... I mean, if you take away giving out, there's not much left that I'm good at.....

Well, I'm okay at "acting the maggot", and I'd pass at "shooting the breeze", but definitely world class at giving out about Tubridy...

TFI Friday is back on Channel 4 at 9pm :)

This is what 'The Late Late Show' SHOULD be like! :D

90's nostagalia continues tonight on Channel 4 with the excellent-looking documentary 'The 90's: Ten Years That Changed The World', followed by the repeat of TFI Friday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

90's nostagalia continues tonight on Channel 4 with the excellent-looking documentary 'The 90's: Ten Years That Changed The World', followed by the repeat of TFI Friday :)

Sounds like Kathy Burke narrating. Perfect.

• Advertisement

Was the 90's actually good? Or is everything else just bollocks?

Jesus, I am in wicked form today.

Kinky Afro - magnificent record :)

Was the 90's actually good? Or is everything else just bollocks?

Jesus, I am in wicked form today.

It didn't seem great at the time, but everything (and I mean everything) has turned to shite since then.

Maybe we don't need the LLS back. We should just come on here a bitch and whinge about everything.

Like why the f*ck multipacks of crisps have such small bags in them?

RayM wrote: »
    It didn't seem great at the time, but everything (and I mean everything) has turned to shite since then.

Britain had Britpop and Cool Britannia, Ireland had the Celtic Tiger.

It was da good times, I tells ya!

I remember trying to stay up late to watch 'The Word' knowing that everybody would be talking about it in school on Monday morning :)

The Hobbit is on ITV now.

Back in the 90's i probably wouldn't be bored to tears by this type of thing.

Britain had Britpop and Cool Britannia, Ireland had the Celtic Tiger.

It was da good times, I tells ya!

Not to mention Italia '90, USA '94, all those Eurovision wins, Father Ted...

Louise Wener.

Schwing.

• Advertisement

Alex James says he dies a little inside when he hears the word Britpop?! :eek:

He tried to get the word officially trademarked for a beer he was bringing out!! :eek: :mad:

Went to a few all-nighters at Cream Liverpool back in t'day.

*sigh*

I love the scornful tone of voice with which John Humphrys said 'pop groups'.

Damien Hirst and Keith Allen - true visionaries.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was at Knebworth :cool:

• Advertisement

Di's death was terribly sad, etc, but the whole mass-grief thing was hilarious.

I didn't get it myself, Ray - of course it was tragic, but I didn't know her personally - only through what was said in the papers. I still think it was the British press that encouraged the public that they had to be sad.

Good stuff :)

Although there could have been more mention of Suede - their early records are widely acknowledged as being the start of Britpop.

I didn't get it myself, Ray - of course it was tragic, but I didn't know her personally - only through what was said in the papers. I still think it was the British press that encouraged the public that they had to be sad.

Back in 1998 (coinciding with her first anniversary), Christopher Hitchens made a witheringly funny Channel 4 documentary about it.

Damien Hirst and Keith Allen - true visionaries.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

From various reports I have received, Keith Allen would appear to be a proper wnanker. Never heard a good word about him.
    So Keith Allen came to review our show, but instead of watching any of it, just got drunk, moved some crash mats, thus nearly causing serious injury to a young, but brave Ben Moor (who did the jump anyway – though I may have pushed him) and then walked out after one sketch and tried to beat up our theatre manager.

He then went on TV to say that the Oxford Revue was as you would expect, rubbish. This was probably an accurate review, but it would have been nice if he’d stayed to have his expectations confirmed. Looks like I'’ve been having walk-outs for a long time.

http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/7/8/2005/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

*sigh*
    What's the story there? Was he banned or did he go?

I used to love his posts on the Marian F thread.

EDIT.

I see he has been banned.

But WHOOOOOOYYYYYY

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ray-darcy-were-not-reinventing-the-wheel-for-new-chat-show-31301562.html
    Ray will be taking over the slot previously occupied by Brendan O'Connor's Saturday Night Show.

For months it was rumoured that the broadcaster would be fronting an Ant and Dec-style Saturday Night Takeaway, but 50-year-old has said it will be a standard offering.

"It's going to be a chat show. We're not going to reinvent the wheel," he said.

Oh well.

Miriam starts this week, and then Darcy starts in September.

Saturday Nights, where did it all go wrong? :(

#BrendanForever #RayDarcyNever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

At the time, I was nine years old and living in west London.

And I don't think me or my mother will ever forget when we went to Kensington Gardens to lay flowers for Di.

I was given the responsibility of laying the flowers, but the place was so crowded that it was impossible to stoop down. So I had to throw them.

I can't quite remember what my throw was like - but regardless, the flowers landed such that the plastic covering came into contact with a candle... :o:o:o

After my mother tried to put the flames out, the two of us ran out of there as fast as we could.

We couldn't help but laugh about it. And we still do to this day. :o:D

While all this was going on, of course, Mother Teresa also died. And, quite naturally, not many people noticed - even considering the fact that she and Di knew each other well, and indeed had walked hand-in-hand through the Bronx less than three months before...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/a-bronx-tale-hugs-and-kisses-for-diana-and-mother-teresa-1256668.html
    http://mapeel.blogspot.ie/2007/09/two-women-for-ages.html

:D:D:D:D:D

Somewhere in an alternate Universe, that fire spread, was interpreted as a call to arms to those who were angered by the Queen's reaction to Diana's death, and ultimately led to the Monarchy being routed and Britain being declared a Republic.

May I ask GHG, what compelled you and your mother to go and lay flowers? Did you want to, or did you feel you had to?

(Insert obvious joke about candles and Elton John tribute songs)

Skid X wrote: »
    http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/ray-darcy-were-not-reinventing-the-wheel-for-new-chat-show-31301562.html

Oh well.

So it really will just be Ray interviewing the usual unreinvented procession of chefs/people who lost or gained weight/RTE employees?

What's the point in that? That nonsense was only tolerable cos Brendan threw in the odd wind up comment.

And the jokes at the start...sob...I loved the crap jokes...

From various reports I have received, Keith Allen would appear to be a proper wnanker. Never heard a good word about him.
    So Keith Allen came to review our show, but instead of watching any of it, just got drunk, moved some crash mats, thus nearly causing serious injury to a young, but brave Ben Moor (who did the jump anyway – though I may have pushed him) and then walked out after one sketch and tried to beat up our theatre manager.

He then went on TV to say that the Oxford Revue was as you would expect, rubbish. This was probably an accurate review, but it would have been nice if he’d stayed to have his expectations confirmed. Looks like I'’ve been having walk-outs for a long time.
    http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/7/8/2005/index.html

I do like his daughter, though. :o:o:D;)

Ray will be taking over the slot previously occupied by Brendan O'Connor's Saturday Night Show.

For months it was rumoured that the broadcaster would be fronting an Ant and Dec-style Saturday Night Takeaway, but 50-year-old has said it will be a standard offering.

"It's going to be a chat show. We're not going to reinvent the wheel," he said.
    Oh well.

Plus, Miriam's show has probably had its day. :o

Completing ten years on air is a tremendous achievement. However, it's probably fair to say that 2011 was the last good year for the show.

Since then, the quality of the guests has noticeably declined - and any big ones they have managed to book, like Daniel Radcliffe last year, haven't been able to deliver everything that they have promised.

And while Brendan's enthusiasm never wavered, Miriam's clearly has - which might also explain why she only wore a dress once in 2013, and not at all last year... :o

Somewhere in an alternate Universe, that fire spread, was interpreted as a call to arms to those who were angered by the Queen's reaction to Diana's death, and ultimately led to the Monarchy being routed and Britain being declared a Republic.

:D:D:D

I'm not against the monarchy - though I think it would be great if Scotland became independent.

And following the SNP's virtual clean sweep last month, surely the next referendum can't be too far away.

Meanwhile, all the TFI inspired retro goodness of this weekend failed to include a mention of the bleeeedin Prodigy (or Progidy, as more than one person I know called them).

Yeah! Smack My B*tch up! I swear lads, I do think it's a good song. I'm not just going along with this nonsense in any way, shape or form!

(Though Firestarter and the previous album ruled).

I do like his daughter, though. :o:o:D;)

Yeah, I like Lily.

But not her Dad.

May I ask GHG, what compelled you and your mother to go and lay flowers? Did you want to, or did you feel you had to?

(Insert obvious joke about candles and Elton John tribute songs)

I guess we felt we had to. :o:D

We also went to RAF Northolt when her body was flown back from Paris. We didn't actually enter the airfield, but we did see the plane coming in to land.

Yeah, I like Lily.

But not her Dad.

If she can come up with this song about her brother, then I wonder how a song about her father would go... :o:D;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement