Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Late Summer Withdrawals Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Skid X wrote: »
    From various reports I have received, Keith Allen would appear to be a proper wnanker. Never heard a good word about him

Pa Allen's contribution to popular culture is a novelty football record (Vindaloo) and starring in one of the worst music videos ever made (Blur's 'Country House')

:O :pac:

New hashtag for Miriam's show:

#staythere

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

New hashtag for Miriam's show:

#staythere

:)

I would love it if the continuity announcer said "I can see the tears in your eyes, and to be honest, I'm not far behind you ... because it's time for Stay there, I mean Saturday Night with Miriam"

Will there be a new series of Callan's Kicks over the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sure Jaysus, what are we watching now? Kate Humble's wandering round with some goats on BBC2.

Tasty goats.

Ryan 'Tubs' Tubridy has just announced that there will be a 'Best Of The LLS' series running over the summer for a few weeks on a Friday night - highlights from the past series.

*crosses fingers for the Ryan O'Neal interview*

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Ryan 'Tubs' Tubridy has just announced that there will be a 'Best Of The LLS' series running over the summer for a few weeks on a Friday night - highlights from the past series.

Is it going to be on the 6.1 news? You know,after the sport and before the weather...

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For a few weeks, one night would be plenty? What happened to them instead showing a film even some 80's stuff, if we wanted the best of the LLS we could just go on Youtube for gems like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXi8OG0jCz8&feature=youtu.be&t=930

You could have one 'Best Of' show with just the musical acts. Albert Hammond! Russell Crowe! Chris De Bur...er, Soak!

• Advertisement

But ... but ... I enjoyed Chris De Burgh's LLS Medley.

Justice for Chris! Let's see that again! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

8 more weeks to go

*sigh*

It's times like these ... I think a trawl of the Youtube for some Classic LLS is in order.

Johnny Devaney tells it like it is! Some of the phone calls used to be good, young Tubridy wouldn't be able for real people ringing in ...

It was 53 years ago today ...

http://www.todayfm.com/player/podcasts/The_Anton_Savage_Show/The_Anton_Savage_Show/36682/2/Gay_Byrne_on_the_53rd_Anniversary_of_the_Late_Late

... that the Late Late Show began.

Gay Byrne spoke to Anton Savage today. Anton might get his chance in the LLS big chair one day. There might be a gap between Ray Darcy and Lottie Ryan.

Omar Sharif has passed away, aged 83. :(

Here he is on the LLS last year...

http://youtu.be/vBFIiXxz8y4

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Omar Sharif has passed away, aged 83. :(

Here he is on the LLS last year...

http://youtu.be/vBFIiXxz8y4

RIP

Well that's the running joke done away with now.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well that's the running joke done away with now.

Yeah, sad to see him go. A great actor with a personality to brighten every room entered.

RIP the late late Omar Sharif.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

The Best of the Late, Late Show starts on RTÉ One at 10:40pm on Friday 24th July.
    This week on The Best of the Late Late Show, Ryan invites us to have a look back at some of his favourite moments from this seasons show. With music from legendary songwriter Albert Hammond, there is also the hypnotic Keith Barry, an insightful Margo and a very entertaining John Cleese.

M

brian_t wrote: »
    The Best of the Late, Late Show starts on RTÉ One at 10:40pm on Friday 24th July.

They should give the studio to some transition year class to interview people on the streets instead of wasting valuable broadcasting bandwidth on a friday evening with repeated rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

You could have one 'Best Of' show with just the musical acts. Albert Hammond! Russell Crowe! Chris De Bur...er, Soak!

Yeah, as long as they don't start again force feeding us tosh like Mike Denver and Derek Ryan rubbish.

Yeah, as long as they don't start again force feeding us tosh like Mike Denver and Derek Ryan rubbish.

Will they have Bosco, Zig and Zag, Dustin et al, singing 'We All Stand Together'? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

An optimistic title. Although John Cleese was surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Another chance to see Ryan Tubridy ambush Paul Murphy with clips of terrorist atrocities from around the globe.

"What do you think of that Paul? Well!?"

Another chance to see Ryan Tubridy .....

Two chances actually - they are giving this programme the usual Late Late Monday repeat.

Dermot O Leary, Eva Longoria and Russell Crowe are among Ryan's guests next week.

And Chris De Burgh, Mary Berry and Graham Norton the week after.

So is this on tonight or what?

Eh?

Edit: Oh, right. The other posts. I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

...Which, now that you've mentioned it, they probably will.

:o:o:o :rolleyes: :D:);)

'The Breakfast Club' just started on Film 4 :)

Hey, hey, hey, HEY!

Ooooooo-ooooooooh, whoooaaaaa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

When I first heard about this "Best of the Late Late Show", I honestly thought it was a joke.

Now I can't help but wonder why it was commissioned. Were viewing figures on summer Friday nights really that poor? Was there that much demand from viewers? Does Ray D'Arcy have anything to do with this?

:o:o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In fairness, that John Cleese interview was the first time I've laughed at Cleese since A Fish Called Wanda. Tubridy did well, I thought.

If I was Late Late host and Keith Barry was the guest, it'd go like this.

*slaps hands on desk*

"Keith, welcome back on the show. Been a few weeks.

Soooo...still a douche?"

Take a big breath in aaand...whiplash.

• Advertisement

When I first heard about this "Best of the Late Late Show", I honestly thought it was a joke.

Now I can't help but wonder why it was commissioned. Were viewing figures on summer Friday nights really that poor? Was there that much demand from viewers? Does Ray D'Arcy have anything to do with this?

:o:o:o :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

I agree, it's rather lazy. The LLS now gets repeated, can be streamed, exists on Youtube etc etc. If there is a good interview that you missed (yeah, I know) most of the population will find a way to catch it again. Showing a compilation of the previous years shows is cheap but does not make good television

There might be some mileage in showing some real classic interviews from years ago. They could maybe trawl the archives for Kenny Live, Saturday Live, Trom agus Eadrom etc too and make a nice series (if the recorded programmes still exist).

There might be some mileage in showing some real classic interviews from years ago.

I've never seen the "Gaybo Laughs" DVD but I assume is was some attempt at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I agree, it's rather lazy. The LLS now gets repeated, can be streamed, exists on Youtube etc etc. If there is a good interview that you missed (yeah, I know) most of the population will find a way to catch it again. Showing a compilation of the previous years shows is cheap but does not make good television

There might be some mileage in showing some real classic interviews from years ago. They could maybe trawl the archives for Kenny Live, Saturday Live, Trom agus Eadrom etc too and make a nice series (if the recorded programmes still exist).

I did not watch it and do not intend to. The good guests on it one can watch on Youtube and the like anyway. This show is in terminal decline anyway and generally has worsened since Tubridy took over.

I agree it would be far better to trawl the archives and bring us back interviews with important guests, performances by good singers and bands and groundbreaking issues being discussed. Shows like the above and the old LLS would be the ones.

What we have today is a self serving media married into certain entertainers and sportspeople. Typical Tubridy fare for the next season: Louis Walsh and new band, Ruby Walsh talks Cheltenham, Galway races, etc., Keith Barry hypnotises and speaks to the dead, and heaven forbid boyfolk 'legends' Mike Denver & Derek Ryan team up for a duet.

Saturday at 11.55pm on RTE2, you can see Mr Nice - The Howard Marks biopic.

Why does that get a mention here? Cos that's the one they were plugging when Rhys Ifans invented DLB aka Dainteh Little Buggah!

What's a DLB?

Who is DLB?

Why do you all keep saying DLB? etc etc

M

Eva Longoria is on the Best of tonight, pure amazingness...

Eva-Tayto.png

Also on is Russell Crowe who did a bloody blinder with a guitar if memory serves correct, telling the audience to stop clapping in the process. Demo O'Leary on too.

Eva-Tayto.png

Looks good enough to eat :pac: :O

I never actually saw the Russell Crowe interview though i heard all about it.

M

Imelda May on it now, I'm so feckin confused, am I on drugs tonight or what?

Oh they're still doing competitions!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My young lady is after running downstairs......."Mam, why are you watching Frozen without me" lol :D

We're all a lost cause watching the bloody repeats during the summer!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Beauty and brains, Eva was a wonderful LLS A lister.

This was a recorded interview wasn't it because you can hear the LLS show talking amongst themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I did not watch it and do not intend to. The good guests on it one can watch on Youtube and the like anyway. This show is in terminal decline anyway and generally has worsened since Tubridy took over.

I agree it would be far better to trawl the archives and bring us back interviews with important guests, performances by good singers and bands and groundbreaking issues being discussed. Shows like the above and the old LLS would be the ones.

What we have today is a self serving media married into certain entertainers and sportspeople. Typical Tubridy fare for the next season: Louis Walsh and new band, Ruby Walsh talks Cheltenham, Galway races, etc., Keith Barry hypnotises and speaks to the dead, and heaven forbid boyfolk 'legends' Mike Denver & Derek Ryan team up for a duet.

I agree, that would be good to see. I think it'd be very interesting to see the full interviews, from the Late Late Show - of which we only see very short clips in programmes like Reeling In The Years and other documentaries - of the more current affairs type topics that the Late Late Show covered over the last 40-50 years.

They'd give a good account of the changes in Irish Society over the last 40 years.

There are a good few clips of interviews from the Late Late Show and RTE current affairs programmes in this documentary about the campaign over the years for rights for gay and lesbian people.

I think it'd be very interesting to be able to see these full interviews.

Holy ****, Russell has whacked on the weight!!!

• Advertisement

That was a brilliant performance in fairness. He could whack out an album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

monkey9 wrote: »
    That was a brilliant performance in fairness. He could whack out an album.

He's a big fan of Johnny Cash, so I guess he'd also be an Ernest Tubb fan.

here are some great Ernest Tubb performances:

Graham Norton on this best of now.

A warm up before the main event: Sinister Lord of Evil, Chris De Burgh.

Next Friday the fourth and final "Best of" has Kim Catrall and Bono and The Edge.

This was posted on Youtube today: almost all of the 1984 LLS tribute to Josef Locke (90 minutes)

Lovely stuff. Those extended tribute shows were usually very entertaining.

• Advertisement
Advertisement