Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ARK:Survival Evolved

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

TheKells wrote: »
    I moved to a lake further south, seemed to be busy once upon a time but not anymore.

As for taming a raptor, I tried taming a croc with raw meat but nothing happened at all. Figure that was just a glitch or is there something else I'm missing when it comes to a carnivore?
    Which one was your base, I took a flight south to look around and found a cave and a few bases.

There's a mountain not a million miles from my place that I raid when I can. Barrel up on a Pteranodon, leg it around grabbing metal before I'm attacked by god knows what then bale home to deposit haul.

Very top of the mountain has rocks that are nearly all gold and give serious amounts of metal, also some crystals up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

I'm sorta halfway south, never noticed a cave. Lonestar will know the lake, he has a big wooden fort there and put a sign up about crocodile feeding ground.

Seems i need to get me a flyer then.

*Found a raptor, tried to tame it...it killed me instead! Went back to loot my body and it's gone but the raptor lying unconscious. In process of taming it now, didn't realise they could eat my stuff after they killed me. Ah well, I got a raptor in return

Think I spotted the fort, must see if I can spot your place when I'm on in a few minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

my fort is pew pew and unfinished i logged in after not being on in weeks and my carnivors were eating stacks of meat in seconds, i thought maybe the feeding rate got messed up, i farmed like 500 meat and the rex ate it all in like 30 minuets =s

Anyone able to find the gaellords server at the mo? It's not showing in my favorites any more, showing as online on their site though.

Edit just seen it needs to be updated.

• Advertisement

Does it update automatically? Or does the admin have to log in and do it?

Possibly a manual thing, Laviski could answer that better than me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Ark is free this weekend on steam for anyone who wants to try it out without commiting to buying it.

Ant695 wrote: »
    Ark is free this weekend on steam for anyone who wants to try it out without commiting to buying it.

Was playing it last night with my friend on one of them extinction servers. After dying it was nigh on impossible to find each other again until we both died at the same time and spawned together.

Wait weeks to play ark with someone and spend the whole time wandering about lost!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Was playing it last night with my friend on one of them extinction servers. After dying it was nigh on impossible to find each other again until we both died at the same time and spawned together.

Wait weeks to play ark with someone and spend the whole time wandering about lost!!

Haha yeah dying is a bit of a balls in it but once you get your bearings it should be easier to say I'm down by the huge rock on the beach near the bronto or whatever and have landmarks to find eachother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

*Found a raptor, tried to tame it...it killed me instead! Went back to loot my body and it's gone but the raptor lying unconscious. In process of taming it now, didn't realise they could eat my stuff after they killed me. Ah well, I got a raptor in return

A very easy thing to do is build a taming cage. quite simple to build.

Couple of stone wall foundations in a square. Build some walls at x height depending on what you want to tame.. If only raptors etc, two or three is plenty. Leave space for a dino gate and either a door on the other side or a ladder up. Make sure you have a ceiling you can walk on at the top.

Leave dino gate open, agro dino and run in. Dino follows, close dino gate. Run out door or up ladder. Dino attacks walls, you ko dino with arrows. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    For taming some higher level meanies, build a fridge and generator so you can store prime meat.

I have one set up but currently building a behemoth gate trap for Rex and whatever new big dinos come in the next patches :)

or get some one to carry you on a birdy and shoot narc arrows at the thing pewpew

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Hey guys,I'm new to ark bought it last week. I feel the game is grindy on official servers,do you guys have any servers you play on?.

I would love to play with some of you guys maybe in a tribe so I don't feel lost.

LmnadZ wrote: »
    Hey guys,I'm new to ark bought it last week. I feel the game is grindy on official servers,do you guys have any servers you play on?.

I would love to play with some of you guys maybe in a tribe so I don't feel lost.

I use the server on the first page of this topic.
    Noxin wrote: »
    A very easy thing to do is build a taming cage. quite simple to build.

Couple of stone wall foundations in a square. Build some walls at x height depending on what you want to tame.. If only raptors etc, two or three is plenty. Leave space for a dino gate and either a door on the other side or a ladder up. Make sure you have a ceiling you can walk on at the top.

Leave dino gate open, agro dino and run in. Dino follows, close dino gate. Run out door or up ladder. Dino attacks walls, you ko dino with arrows. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    For taming some higher level meanies, build a fridge and generator so you can store prime meat.

I have one set up but currently building a behemoth gate trap for Rex and whatever new big dinos come in the next patches :)

I have decided that my refusal to hunt herbivores is holding me back big time! At this rate I'd never get to build anything like that.

I have decided that my refusal to hunt herbivores is holding me back big time! At this rate I'd never get to build anything like that.

If you don't have a mammoth you're missing out. Or even a trike. Total game changers. Easy to tame multiples at a time too.

If you don't have a mammoth you're missing out. Or even a trike. Total game changers. Easy to tame multiples at a time too.

I'm too low a level for a mammoth. Have a couple of trikes.

I meant hunting animals for hide/meat. I usually only attack if attacked first. Gotta change that though

If you have a raptor now then that should be a lot easier, although if you're stuck there's a spot between my place and yours one of the lads named dodo beach (According to the bed in the house anyway) that as you can imagine is full of dodos. Easy kills and you'll get some meat and hide from them. Not huge amounts but handy in a pinch.

I need to try tame a sabertooth for farming hide, they're tricky bastards to evade though

Tazzimus wrote: »
    If you have a raptor now then that should be a lot easier, although if you're stuck there's a spot between my place and yours one of the lads named dodo beach (According to the bed in the house anyway) that as you can imagine is full of dodos. Easy kills and you'll get some meat and hide from them. Not huge amounts but handy in a pinch.

I need to try tame a sabertooth for farming hide, they're tricky bastards to evade though

I noticed that, there's a note near there too about his hunt for Rick Grimes.

I've been killed twice by sabertooths and both times I never saw it coming. Just dead and you have been killed by on screen.

I noticed that, there's a note near there too about his hunt for Rick Grimes.

I've been killed twice by sabertooths and both times I never saw it coming. Just dead and you have been killed by on screen.
    That'll be Lone Stone, he left a tamed dodo near my place before named I'm watching you Tazz I think, also a note about Rick in my cooking pot.

Have you been raiding the supply crates at all? Took me ages to figure out what they were, built up a nice stash of stuff though since I realised.

Last one that got me picked me off after an Argeventis made bits of me before hand

So just moved my egg producing dinos into a barn... it's a tad crowded..

2015-08-28_00003_zpsw5bevawt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

anyone doing the free weekend
    hook me up on steam
    will give you the basics on the official server.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭callumsdad

Laviski wrote: »
    anyone doing the free weekend
    hook me up on steam
    will give you the basics on the official server.

Is there a boards.ie tribe?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

everyone is scattered on different servers i think most play on private servers that have reduced taming times and increased resource gathering.

Sadly no tribe on here, would like to join one but didn't seem there was much interest when it was mentioned a few days ago.

Got myself a raptor and went for a wee jog round part of the island. Saw a T-Rex harassing a group of herbivores and a spinosaurus having a scrap with a bunch of trikes and stegos, waterfalls and mountains.

I've missed so much just sticking to the coast seeing the odd carno or raptor rocking up.

I play on an official PVE server for now. Saving PVP for a future date.

The best way to get into a tribe is to find a server which seems to have decent people and start building a base yourself. It's doubtful you'd get invited to an established tribe without at least trying to learn some of the game and building a starting base. People will just think you're there to beg for stuff.
    I've missed so much just sticking to the coast seeing the odd carno or raptor rocking up.

Yup the coasts get kinda boring after a while. Raptor is great for getting around. Nice an fast and at higher levels they can take out anything bar Alphas. Upgrade to a Saber if you get a chance though. Higher base damage.

Also if you want an absolute beast at the moment, take some dodo's and start collecting their eggs. They drop often. Make Dodo kibble and tame a high level Pteranodon. Their roll damage is insane if you spec right.
    Currently mine is around lvl 205 and I can happily hunt Alpha raptors and some low level carnos. Wouldn't even attempt a Rex though.
    They're also the best for getting around the island and seeing the chaos that goes on.
    Currently a 120 Pteran would take 21 kibble and about 1.5 hours to tame on official so not that long. A 120 pure kibble tame would wake at around lvl 171 if nothing goes wrong.

How do you get them to lay eggs? I have two trikes 1 female 1 male, says they are mate boosted, but I have never seen them lay an egg.

Will be getting myself some dodos tonight then.

How do you get them to lay eggs? I have two trikes 1 female 1 male, says they are mate boosted, but I have never seen them lay an egg.

Will be getting myself some dodos tonight then.

It's random. They just drop every now and then but they only last 30 minutes on the ground before they decompose and anyone anyone can pick it up if they see it. If you pick it up it'll ask for a number of days. If you put it into a dino inventory it'll last longer again and a fridge holds it for over 300 days so obviously that's the best way to go about storing them. Just make sure your fridge is in a secure area as there is no pin code locks for it.

Mate pared will drop eggs more often. You also don't need 1m/1fm ratio. 1 male can get his hump on with a tonne of the ladies the lucky bugger :pac:

Also Dodo's take only minutes to tame. Get a big bunch of them to make it quick. You can release them later if you choose. Their kibble also works on the mini monkeys and dolphin.

I'm trying to find a lone anlylo/mammoth/scorpion to knock out and tame but any time I spot one on it's todd a Raptor or Argeventis is nearby waiting to try eat me.

Gonna see if I can coax one down from the mountain away from the nasties and knock it out. could try for a sabertooth as well.

Whats with the bigfoot style monkeys walking about the place? There's one or two that saunter about around my gaff but not sure if I want to try kill them or not.

I'm trying to find a lone anlylo/mammoth/scorpion to knock out and tame but any time I spot one on it's todd a Raptor or Argeventis is nearby waiting to try eat me.

Gonna see if I can coax one down from the mountain away from the nasties and knock it out. could try for a sabertooth as well.

Whats with the bigfoot style monkeys walking about the place? There's one or two that saunter about around my gaff but not sure if I want to try kill them or not.

Was round your way there now, saw a scorpion but had no spoiled meat to try tame it so might still be about when you next log in, was straight ahead and slightly to the right if you were to exit your house. Below the hill.

Some amount of supply drops round that area too. Feel ripped off in my spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I play on an official PVE server for now. Saving PVP for a future date.

The best way to get into a tribe is to find a server which seems to have decent people and start building a base yourself. It's doubtful you'd get invited to an established tribe without at least trying to learn some of the game and building a starting base. People will just think you're there to beg for stuff.

Yup the coasts get kinda boring after a while. Raptor is great for getting around. Nice an fast and at higher levels they can take out anything bar Alphas. Upgrade to a Saber if you get a chance though. Higher base damage.

Also if you want an absolute beast at the moment, take some dodo's and start collecting their eggs. They drop often. Make Dodo kibble and tame a high level Pteranodon. Their roll damage is insane if you spec right.
    Currently mine is around lvl 205 and I can happily hunt Alpha raptors and some low level carnos. Wouldn't even attempt a Rex though.
    They're also the best for getting around the island and seeing the chaos that goes on.
    Currently a 120 Pteran would take 21 kibble and about 1.5 hours to tame on official so not that long. A 120 pure kibble tame would wake at around lvl 171 if nothing goes wrong.

The Argentavis has much better base stats and moves much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

irishmover wrote: »

doesn't move faster, moves for a **** ton longer though

doesn't move faster, moves for a **** ton longer though

Sorry yeh.. A lot more stamina so dont need to start off pumping points into that can go straight for speed.

Was round your way there now, saw a scorpion but had no spoiled meat to try tame it so might still be about when you next log in, was straight ahead and slightly to the right if you were to exit your house. Below the hill.

Some amount of supply drops round that area too. Feel ripped off in my spot!
    Had a mooch around but couldn't see him, tamed a raptor though, didn't realise how stupidly easy they are to knock out.

Yeh it's central to about 5 supply drops so I have a fairly decent stock of most things now ha. Which base s ours, I took a flight south again and couldn't figure out which was yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Played it for free during the free weekend. Computer couldn't really handle it though. Low settings, low memory mode and it still bombed. Got to a stage where I could play it steady enough for a good while. Any news on when its gonna be optimised? The little bit I did play, I absolutely loved it. Never got around to taming anything though :( If I wanna play it again, I'll have to beef up my PC, if they're not gonna do any optimisations any time soon. My computer only has 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drive.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Played it for free during the free weekend. Computer couldn't really handle it though. Low settings, low memory mode and it still bombed. Got to a stage where I could play it steady enough for a good while. Any news on when its gonna be optimised? The little bit I did play, I absolutely loved it. Never got around to taming anything though :( If I wanna play it again, I'll have to beef up my PC, if they're not gonna do any optimisations any time soon. My computer only has 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drive.

I doubt your computer will beable to handle it even with the optimisation. Its coming to Xbox and ps4 in 2016 otherwise you'll have to buy yourself some more ram and probably a new CPU/graphics card.

• Advertisement

Had a mooch around but couldn't see him, tamed a raptor though, didn't realise how stupidly easy they are to knock out.

Yeh it's central to about 5 supply drops so I have a fairly decent stock of most things now ha. Which base s ours, I took a flight south again and couldn't figure out which was yours.

Raptors are a good job, really opened up travelling for me. Pity they can't carry a whole lot.

Mine is the straw hut across the lake from the big wooden fort. Starting to spread out since I don't know how to make stairs. Once I get a bird and a mammoth I'm thinking I'll move somewhere more central but until then this is a decent spot close to both the water and the jungle. Can't be bothered gathering the wood for a proper base without a mammoth.

irishmover wrote: »

more difficult to attack with too though and takes a lot longer to tame.

Currently the Ptera is beast with roll attack if you want something simple and powerful :)

Raptors are a good job, really opened up travelling for me. Pity they can't carry a whole lot.

Mine is the straw hut across the lake from the big wooden fort. Starting to spread out since I don't know how to make stairs. Once I get a bird and a mammoth I'm thinking I'll move somewhere more central but until then this is a decent spot close to both the water and the jungle. Can't be bothered gathering the wood for a proper base without a mammoth.
    I'll drop you over some metal tools if you haven't got any, they should help speed up the gathering a bit. Have you any storage boxes outside?

I'll drop you over some metal tools if you haven't got any, they should help speed up the gathering a bit. Have you any storage boxes outside?

I have metal picks, do the metal axes make that much difference? To the point that large buildings are feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I've been playing on the CCG server since I got the game with a few other mates. The times are all standard, so no speed up tame times etc. Quite tough actually. Its a pretty busy server, and we had our base raided a few times, but we are at a point now where we have a good setup and it would take a lot to cripple us (famous last words)

• Advertisement

I have metal picks, do the metal axes make that much difference? To the point that large buildings are feasible.
    Gathers wood much handier so less effort.

I'll give you a sickle and pike as well. Sickle is great for gathering fiber and the pike is a much better spear so be handy to have them if nothing else.

So I went out on my raptor hunting the supply drops, got a bit lost at night and ended up on a mountain with no idea how I got there(also stumbled upon a spot where you can summon a broodmother..which didn't sound like a good idea) spent a good half hour trying to find my way back to my base. Fecking apex predators everywhere. Tense times!! Especially as I had weighed my raptor down with metal so couldn't outrun anything that seen me.

Plus side, got back to base with a load of metal.

tame an argevis hawk thing, they can fly and also carry a lot of crap better to get one of those if your going mining, dont take to long to tame an hour maybe. easy enough to tranq.

One of the girls left her house open yesterday. Had a little fun

346110_screenshots_2015-09-02_00001%201_zps81xpww5n.jpg

Shame I didn't record it cause it's hilarious throwing sleeping bodies around like ragdolls.

Added a second story onto the gaff and got me a mammoth, they're boss level mother****ers

Found a phiomia saddle very early on. Was out searching for one. Was hounded by like 10 different bugs on top of a cliff, fell off the cliff and was then killed by a Rex. Bye bye saddle.

Had a dodo farm. 2 raptors saw to that and killed me along with them. Twice. Just now tamed myself a phiomia, several days after I died to the Rex.

Getting farms up and running initially is painfully slow. Can't get near enough narco berries for narcotics. Have 2 seedlings now but gonna be forever before they start yielding. Singleplayer starting to bore me. Might join a PvE server.

I want a raptor army so bad :(

Out of interest, how does the game run for you all? My computer isn't a beast by any stretch of the imagination. It's a very basic and elderly gaming desktop. It takes over 5 minutes to launch into the world for me and then another minute or so to stabilise. Running on extreme low memory mode and all settings medium. Initially had all settings to low but there's no difference in performance when cranked up to medium. Once the game's loaded, it runs fairly stable. Occasional 5/10 second lag but is still very playable.

Spent half an hour walking around gathering stone for a behemoth gateway and gate, made both, stuck the gateway down, went to remove some foundations that looked like they weren't being used and I knock the gateway with them....

Bollocks.

Spent half an hour walking around gathering stone for a behemoth gateway and gate, made both, stuck the gateway down, went to remove some foundations that looked like they weren't being used and I knock the gateway with them....

Bollocks.

Two things about the game that really irk me, which also have been expressed by other players:

1) You can't move items after placing them. For example, if you placed a chest incorrectly you can only destroy it. Mortar and pestle, chest, small items that could easily be moved.

2) Many of the recipes are far too expensive. Wood/stone structures in particular. 40 wood for a single wall. Way too expensive for a game. I usually collect 1000 wood on every lumber run but it's all gone on just a few walls. Very over the top I think. Stone is a lot worse.

jaxxx wrote: »
    Two things about the game that really irk me, which also have been expressed by other players:

1) You can't move items after placing them. For example, if you placed a chest incorrectly you can only destroy it. Mortar and pestle, chest, small items that could easily be moved.

2) Many of the recipes are far too expensive. Wood/stone structures in particular. 40 wood for a single wall. Way too expensive for a game. I usually collect 1000 wood on every lumber run but it's all gone on just a few walls. Very over the top I think. Stone is a lot worse.

In regards to the second one a mammoth can streamroll wood collection so I'm guessing they're basing the requirements around owning a mammoth. 1000 wood would be all of 10 mins if even.

thats why i moved to a higher gather rate server :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement