Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grow max lime

• 05-06-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭

anyone use this and opinions on it.also who supplies it.grassland???.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

mahoney_j wrote: »

I have not used it but GG has I think. It is 80% stronger than gran-lime. However it is a hydrated(burnt) lime product. What this means is that it is an alklai as opposed to a product that reacts to acid.

If you PH is nearly right it will bring your ground above 7. Also it needs rain after spreading and if it gets wet in the bag it is a disaster and dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Spread 2Tonne of ordinary ground limestone to the acre and forget all this mumbo jumbo. All you're paying for is fancy packaging and good marketing. Even Teagasc say it's mad expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Spread 2.5bags/acre back in Feb deliberately left some areas without, would 100% notice the difference _ greener lusher grass where it was spread even on v old pasture and had v good response to early fertility after.
    But had rep from philisite crowd here a month ago and he tested with probe into ground and the reading on that was the same as reading I had before I spread Gromax

I also got probe off him to test an area where lime was tipped last year before spreading so it should b a lot higher! But twas the same as all other readings so you would have to question the accuracy of his probe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Basted of stuff to spread tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Not using this but using phisolith. Myself and another lad in dg using it. Everyone telling us its a waste of time but he reckons it has alot to do with how well his breeding went last yr. Already was a terrific herd but even better now.
    He also went with 24 units of N every round instead of his usual 27 to recoop the cost of it.
    I know last yr was a great grass yr and all but he grew more grass.

Any way way we're spreading it here last 4 yr. Definitely on older leys I see a big difference in grass quality and growth. I missed one spot in a paddock and you could see that 2ft section down along the field all yr where the ciws wouldn't eat down well at all.

This yr out farm got 2t ground limestone (needs 5t/ac in total)
    and 2 bags of phisolith per acre. Last field I only had enough for the headlands and grass is alot more lush and grows faster on headlands and headlands don't get as much fert as the centre of the field does.

Jeez I sound like a sales man there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

ellewood wrote: »
    Spread 2.5bags/acre back in Feb deliberately left some areas without, would 100% notice the difference _ greener lusher grass where it was spread even on v old pasture and had v good response to early fertility after.
    But had rep from philisite crowd here a month ago and he tested with probe into ground and the reading on that was the same as reading I had before I spread Gromax

I also got probe off him to test an area where lime was tipped last year before spreading so it should b a lot higher! But twas the same as all other readings so you would have to question the accuracy of his probe?

ph is a strange thing to measure at the best of times, changes with temp etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Would growmax/philisite/slag over time do as good as ground lime?
    There's some low lying ground here that could do with something & quad is best mode to access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Not using this but using phisolith. Myself and another lad in dg using it. Everyone telling us its a waste of time but he reckons it has alot to do with how well his breeding went last yr. Already was a terrific herd but even better now.
    He also went with 24 units of N every round instead of his usual 27 to recoop the cost of it.
    I know last yr was a great grass yr and all but he grew more grass.

Any way way we're spreading it here last 4 yr. Definitely on older leys I see a big difference in grass quality and growth. I missed one spot in a paddock and you could see that 2ft section down along the field all yr where the ciws wouldn't eat down well at all.

This yr out farm got 2t ground limestone (needs 5t/ac in total)
    and 2 bags of phisolith per acre. Last field I only had enough for the headlands and grass is alot more lush and grows faster on headlands and headlands don't get as much fert as the centre of the field does.

Jeez I sound like a sales man there
    Well that's proof that it isn't as useless as some farmers say.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Well that's proof that it isn't as useless as some farmers say.

All I say to lads go get half a tonne of it and spread half of a few paddocks and see if you think it made a difference.
    that's what we did

• Advertisement

Spread 2Tonne of ordinary ground limestone to the acre and forget all this mumbo jumbo. All you're paying for is fancy packaging and good marketing. Even Teagasc say it's mad expensive.

Has anybody here used it and moved back to ground limestone and for what reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Basted of stuff to spread tho...

What's the problem spreading it, is it not the same as spreading fertiliser?

tanko wrote: »
    What's the problem spreading it, is it not the same as spreading fertiliser?

It is very dusty and it spreads very heavy. i find that 1 bag to the acre is equivlent to 1/2 bag of Urea spreading rate. However it is a bit better this year as bigger granuals and it seems not as dusty

It is very dusty and it spreads very heavy. i find that 1 bag to the acre is equivlent to 1/2 bag of Urea spreading rate. However it is a bit better this year as bigger granuals and it seems not as dusty

Tell me about it I was only supposed to spread 1 bag /ac ended up as 1 and a half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Tell me about it I was only supposed to spread 1 bag /ac ended up as 1 and a half

What does it work out at per tonne, 20 a ton here to get the normal stuff spread and delivered....

jaymla627 wrote: »
    What does it work out at per tonne, 20 a ton here to get the normal stuff spread and delivered....

210/t iirc
    spread a bag /ac a yr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Dragging up an old thread rather than derailing the thread on restoring ungrazed land.

Seen this Growmax mentioned on there and decided to read up about it to see what it was. From reading the blurb on it, it would seem that it is akin to Supersoil in some of the claims it makes: x1.7 TNV of ground limestone (debate about usage of TNV rather than NV), 50% higher pH than ground limestone and can last for up to 2 years (no mention of lower timespan although says 'typically 2years').

After reading threads on various forums (mostly from around 2016) it would seem that there was a lot of scepticism about this product.

If it is anything like what is said it would suit some ground we have that would be inaccessible at the minute to a trailed spreader with ground lime. Longer term when the ground is firm enough we could switch to the ground lime.

So, has there been any independent research on this product and its claims?

Advertisement