Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland -v- England - Sunday June 7th 2015 1pm, Lansdowne Road

• 05-06-2015 10:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

So 20 years on from the infamous riots, England return to our shores for an International Friendly. This time we hope the security homework is done and attitudes are wiser, followed by a decent curtain raiser to our crucial Euro 2016 Qualifier with the Scots Saturday week.

We showed up well in Wembley 2 years ago with a respectful 1-1 draw and I feel the same result will be the outcome this weekend.

PS; I suspect there will be plenty of FIFA bribe taking chants ringing out from time to time Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ill go for a 1 1 draw it's now 30 years since England have beaten us or the last 6 games. 4 of those 6 games have ended 1 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Ill go for a 1 1 draw it's now 30 years since England have beaten us or the last 6 games. 4 of those 6 games have ended 1 1.

The logic behind that is so wrong. Even if it is 1-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The logic behind that is so wrong. Even if it is 1-1.

I said the same thing before the last England game . We love a 1 1 in a game we aren't expected to win Germany and Poland already in this campaign. The game will mean more to Ireland and although they have better players i'd be surprised if we didn't get a draw. I was also just pointing out that it's 30 years since they have beat us not saying it's going to be 1 1 just because games 20 odd years ago finished 1 1 against them.

Hopefully Ireland can win this. Beating England in a sporting event is right up there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I can see a lot of people missing the match because of the 1pm Kick off.

My prediction score draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hopefully Ireland can win this. Beating England in a sporting event is right up there

How immature of you, we've all moved on, you're still living in the dark ages, we've now matured as a Nation yada yada yada etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

England 3-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Does anyone know how ticket sales are for this match...a full house on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Match live on UTV/ITV for those of us without Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

If the England fans are on the ball they should bring over a heap of brown envelopes for the dear leader of the FAIlure association.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If the England fans are on the ball they should bring over a heap of brown envelopes for the dear leader of the FAIlure association.

Doubt it. Being Irish is knowing more about the English than the English know about you tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

signostic wrote: »
    Does anyone know how ticket sales are for this match...a full house on Sunday?

At a ridiculous €70 a ticket I'd be very surprised. The early kick off won't help either. How I long for the days of the £20punt south terrace tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is the early kick of to stop people getting bladdered before the game?

sugarman wrote: »
    Would gladly take a hammering tomorrow if it meant a win against the Scots.

I'd imagine a hammering would set us up well for the Scots game alright!

Agree with the sentiment of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Yea, same approach as the likes of United/Liverpool, Celtic/Rangers fixtures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How immature of you, we've all moved on, you're still living in the dark ages, we've now matured as a Nation yada yada yada etc etc etc
    I am not sure if thats being sarcastic and even if its sarcastic which way is it sarcastic :eek:

Its a minor work of art (that post):cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

At a ridiculous €70 a ticket I'd be very surprised. The early kick off won't help either. How I long for the days of the £20punt south terrace tickets.

Yeah 70 euro for the cheapest ticket is ridiculous ,even more so as its a friendly.
    1pm kick off is nonsense too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah 70 euro for the cheapest ticket is ridiculous ,even more so as its a friendly.
    1pm kick off is nonsense too.
    My ticket was cheaper than €70, I got it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

My ticket was cheaper than €70, I got it for free.

:rolleyes:
    The ticket prices were 70,90 and 120 euro plus fees on the Ticketmaster website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sugarman wrote: »
    Sky no longer have the rights, setanta do.

It's live on setanta ireland.

Not everyone has Setanta Ireland either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

:rolleyes:
    The ticket prices were 70,90 and 120 euro plus fees on the Ticketmaster website.

I got mine for 60. South Stand Lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i predict a riot lol

really the days of all that soccer hooliganism is all over and it should be a good sporting occasion. We play England every 2 years here in the rugby and theres never any trouble. Going to the Waterford/Cork match so will not see the england game.

I dont care if england beat us 5-0 i just want to beat scotland (they seem to be the smuggest of the lot when they beat us)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i predict a riot lol

really the days of all that soccer hooliganism is all over and it should be a good sporting occasion. We play England every 2 years here in the rugby and theres never any trouble.

Because the rugby and soccer fans that come over are comparable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

fullstop wrote: »
    Because the rugby and soccer fans that come over are comparable...
    i was behind a group of england fans last march during the rugby and they were singing soccer chants and shouting abuse. i agree there very different but the odd group would be similar to soccer fans

remember the kid they showed on the tv in 1995 i wonder will he be at the game ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I'm English and have lived here since 1993 and that match was the only time I've ever been ashamed of my country trying to explain we're not all like that seemed pretty futile at the time.Thankfully times have changed and hopefully Sundays game will be all about football and nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Frankly I think England are currently much stronger than we are.

If they are anyways interested, or put out a strong team, they will win

But like other posters, I don't care who wins, it's just a friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I forgot the match was such an early kick off so I am on a flight during the match and will miss it. I don't think it'll be a great game, to be fair.

My first hope is that it will pass without incident. My second hope is that England don't lose so that I can go to work on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Vast majority of the English hooligan element have been banned now. Nothing at all will happen fortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I punted 4 tickets for this game for €50 each on behalf of guys in my work who bought the duo package to get to the Scotland game in the Irish end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Mint Sauce wrote: »

WTF is wrong with you people? Have fire, electricity, the wheel or the beatles arrived in your town yet?

FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

i predict a riot lol

really the days of all that soccer hooliganism is all over and it should be a good sporting occasion. We play England every 2 years here in the rugby and theres never any trouble. Going to the Waterford/Cork match so will not see the england game.

I dont care if england beat us 5-0 i just want to beat scotland (they seem to be the smuggest of the lot when they beat us)

You reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Beefy78 wrote: »
    My second hope is that England don't lose so that I can go to work on Monday.

And if they do lose it'll be a nice long weekend for you, win win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I did not realise this was on until yesterday. No mention of it over here in the media. Nobody really cares.

€70 is a bit mental, is it anywhere close to sold out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Is it on any FTA channel?

ITV are showing tennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ITV are showing tennis.

You are a day early buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ITV are showing tennis.

Tomorrow is the 7th

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Got sorted with a free ticket to this. Hoping for minimum riots.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Tomorrow is the 7th

Aah..... Goddam it!

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    WTF is wrong with you people? Have fire, electricity, the wheel or the beatles arrived in your town yet?

FFS.

I thought Mr Big Shots had become smarter about keeping Mr Big Shot under control since the Celtic Tiger got himself well and truly fooked !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

theteal wrote: »

€70 is a bit mental, is it anywhere close to sold out?

Pure greed by the FAI, hard to believe an Ireland v England fixture would't sell out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Got sorted with a free ticket to this. Hoping for minimum riots.

I think the vast majority of paying fans will be happy enough in the knowledge that there was one or two free tickets handed out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Mr_Muffin wrote: »

Pubs are closed in the area until after the game too, so it will be very hard for people to get bladdered.
    i predict a riot lol

Agree with you on both counts. I follow Fulham and I travel to England most weekends for games. The police have things sown up when it comes to football violence. I can't remember the last time I saw trouble in or around a football ground and I have been to the likes of Leeds, Chelsea & Millwall over the past few years.

Personally, I am far more interested in beating the Scots and I also think that the Scotland game could be a far nastier affair on and off the pitch than the England game. I think it'll be a draw tomorrow but I am worried about the result of the Scotland game as we need to win that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I'm lovin' it.

I wouldn't expect any clowning around from the Riot Squad ! ^ ^ ^ ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Saw that the other day captioned 'burgerking away'

Yeah it was Mcdonald's ultras away to Burgerking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Its mad to think you can get cheaper tickets for next weeks qualifier then tomorrows friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Looking forward to this tomorrow, got a couple free tickets late in the day and making a day of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Guaranteed that a section of the home end will be booing GSTQ. Not looking forward to it tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement