Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland -v- England - Sunday June 7th 2015 1pm, Lansdowne Road

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,428 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

adox wrote: »
    Ha good man Scholes : "A waste of an afternoon " :pac:

Glad to read that. In my in laws and they only have the bog channels. I was ragin to miss the game but not anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I feel sorry for anyone who paid €70 or €90 for that match. What a let down. At least the Scotland match will be good and fairly priced at that too.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Feel sorry for anyone who paid money for that

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

A decent warm-up for Scotland, possibly, but where are the goals going to come from ?

Also none of the guys who aren't regulars particularly impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

They should have put the football on ITV4 and left the Tennis on ITV for the whole match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't know what people expected tbh. It was a friendly and both sides treated it as such. The tickets were overpriced but that's simple Economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sterling was very poor again today.
    Nobody will buy him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

John Delaney had his hired goons out again to confiscate any banners speaking ill of him

Awful game.

The highlight was when the camera panned to Jack Charlton and Paul Mc Grath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

John Delaney had his hired goons out again to confiscate any banners speaking ill of him

€5mill gets a good few hired goons- and a nice gf

• Advertisement

Sterling was very poor again today.
    Nobody will buy him.

Bigtime

10868292_730469377063506_567595751398913447_n.png?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f87fefbf72685b39912b68dad9c27242&oe=5601FF0E&__gda__=1443170767_6081c61161dd20b0ba15351208b73e24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

England are on a great run and put average teams like us away very easy usually so it's a great result really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

A very predictable draw. 30 years and counting since they beat us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I feel sorry for anyone who paid €70 or €90 for that match. What a let down. At least the Scotland match will be good and fairly priced at that too.

Just back from it and it was woeful. Atmosphere was dreadful and booing GSTQ and Sterling was pathetic.
    niallo27 wrote: »
    England are on a great run and put average teams like us away very easy usually so it's a great result really.

Did you see the game? It was awful. I have been to hundreds of football games all over the world and that was a very good candidate for the worst.

Berserker wrote: »
    Just back from it and it was woeful. Atmosphere was dreadful and booing GSTQ and Sterling was pathetic.

Did you see the game? It was awful. I have been to hundreds of football games all over the world and that was a very good candidate for the worst.

It was rubbish but it was still a good result against a top team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I can't believe i waited 20 years for that. I did enjoy how you could almost here the players whisper however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It was rubbish but it was still a good result against a top team.

England are not a top team. Not anymore.

They are top of their group and qualify easily for every championship. They are a top team. Not the highest level but let's not pretend they are not a serious team.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

They are top of their group and qualify easily for every championship. They are a top team. Not the highest level but let's not pretend they are not a serious team.
    I kinda agree with you but they were rubbish a year ago in the world cup.

They normally qualify well for tournaments but they are in a very easy group this time.

I think I talked myself into thinking they are good to middling .

Its hard to work out what they are but they are a long way off Germany and Spain of a few years ago (and probably soon again) But who else is that Good.

blinding wrote: »
    I kinda agree with you but they were rubbish a year ago in the world cup.

They normally qualify well for tournaments but they are in a very easy group this time.

I think I talked myself into thinking they are good to middling .

Its hard to work out what they are but they are a long way off Germany and Spain of a few years ago (and probably soon again) But who else is that Good.

They qualify because the beat average sides like us easily. That's why I thought today was a good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Ireland fans booing Sterling was extremely embarrassing. Some people need to get a life.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Ireland fans booing Sterling was extremely embarrassing. Some people need to get a life.

Agreed.

Grown men that boo in general look a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It was a friendly warm up match and it wasn't half as bad as you make out. In the 1st half Ireland played well, tapered off in the 2nd half - that's normal for friendly internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Depsite all the hype, it really wasn't #morethanafriendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The booing of GSTQ didn't really come across on Setanta, was it widespread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Just shows that nearly all levels of atmosphere are directly related to drink. We were the best fans in Poland because we were all constantly out of our tree. Stoke has a fiercer atmosphere than Arsenal because its a working class town with a drinking culture before matches, whereas the Emirates has a high % of middle class Londoners driving in for the game. If the game was on at 7pm it'd have been completely different. Probably as well that it wasn't. Next week is the big one

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Just shows that nearly all levels of atmosphere are directly related to drink. We were the best fans in Poland because we were all constantly out of our tree. Stoke has a fiercer atmosphere than Arsenal because its a working class town with a drinking culture before matches, whereas the Emirates has a high % of middle class Londoners driving in for the game. If the game was on at 7pm it'd have been completely different. Probably as well that it wasn't. Next week is the big one

Plenty of truth in that sadly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some people need drink in them to sing songs and chant along.
    Otherwise they get embarrassed and don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Next week is all that matters. Played well for about 65minutes, but next week determines if MON is good enough to be Irish manager or time for change.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »

Who was booing Sterling, and why ?
    Didn't quite get that

Irish or English fans ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Who was booing Sterling, and why ?
    Didn't quite get that

Irish or English fans ?

Irish, presumably Liverpool fans upset over his desire to leave. That's the only reason I can think of.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some people need drink in them to sing songs and chant along.
    Otherwise they get embarrassed and don't do it.

maybe drink is a factor, but also fans respond to what they see.

If the match was competitive, or if the match was exciting, the atmosphere would have been better

Very few real chances in the whole match, for either side

Irish, presumably Liverpool fans upset over his desire to leave. That's the only reason I can think of.

Then that truly is sad
    Can they not just be Irish fans for a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

brevity wrote: »
    Painfully true, that. Why would he want to play for either Ireland or England? Neither of them are going to pull up any trees any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

RoryMac wrote: »

Yep. During the anthems at the start it wasn't too bad, but when the English fans sang it during the game it was quite widely booed. Quite embarrassing. We were laughing to ourselves saying why people couldn't sing over them rather than boo them.

Highlights of the game were big jack at the start, and then English fans chanting about how sepp bought our stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Then that truly is sad
    Can they not just be Irish fans for a day

130810-086-Celtic-Liverpool.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Don't get all the negativity. England had a full strength team out and we have an experimental side with a diamond formation that probably won't be used when we play Scotland. We had a few chances to win the game, Murphy firing wide and O'Shea's header from a corner it could have been 1-0 and would have been a great result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Haven't been a "top team" for a long time now; Italia '90, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Berserker wrote:

Do you watch junior games or just the lucrative one's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Don't get all the negativity. England had a full strength team out and we have an experimental side with a diamond formation that probably won't be used when we play Scotland. We had a few chances to win the game, Murphy firing wide and O'Shea's header from a corner it could have been 1-0 and would have been a great result.

England did not have a full team out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

No, and the Irish fans were doing it with a smile on their face. I was near the English support and they could see we were only laughing and taking the piss. It was all good humoured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

blueser wrote: »
    Haven't been a "top team" for a long time now; Italia '90, perhaps?

Should really have won Euro 96, pretty ordinary at the business end of tournaments since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Not a chance, the ball swerved but that brought it back closer to Given, he should have stopped it.

:pac: The ball was travelling at 69mph, he probably didn't even see it going past him never mind be able to save it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Kinda weird what ad came up in the middle of this discussion - see attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

thelad95 wrote: »
    I don't know what people expected tbh. It was a friendly and both sides treated it as such. The tickets were overpriced but that's simple Economics.

The match wasn't sold out so it's not simple economics. Next time we play England in a friendly a lot of people won't pay that money again for such an overhyped fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    England did not have a full team out

Who were they missing? Walcott, Baines, Welbeck and Sturridge are the only players I can think of that could have started if fit that didn't.

They had perfectly good enough replacements and you could argue that two of them wouldn't start anyways

obezyana wrote: »
    A boring 0-0 today followed by a win next week and no one will care how todays game went. And Ulster football is just as boring as the soccer match.........tune in for the Deise win over Cork later....now that will be entertainment :D

Ulster football is absolute dogsh*te. My point being that today's game almost made it look entertaining by contrast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

England fans today: "He paid for your ground,he paid for your ground,Sepp Blatter,he paid for your ground":pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Was gonna say; you'd love to get them as your #1 seed in a qualifying group. We'd actually have a chance of getting a couple of results.

Advertisement