Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rep. of Ireland -v- England - Sunday June 7th 2015 1pm, Lansdowne Road

123457»

Comments

Trilla wrote: »
    Kinda weird what ad came up in the middle of this discussion - see attached

Some of the ads are based on your browsing history is it not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The game didn't make a good impression;
    https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/607639259793588224

Luckily, I was out at our parish priest's silver jubilee celebration mass, and missed the second half.
    :D

Unfortunately, I saw the first half.
    :(

Think the jubilee mass was more entertaining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Ireland fans booing Sterling was extremely embarrassing. Some people need to get a life.

Not really Liverpool fans arent happy at Sterlings attitude.

Booing Englands anthem was embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Who was booing Sterling, and why ?
    Didn't quite get that

Irish or English fans ?

Disgruntled Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Just shows that nearly all levels of atmosphere are directly related to drink. We were the best fans in Poland because we were all constantly out of our tree. Stoke has a fiercer atmosphere than Arsenal because its a working class town with a drinking culture before matches, whereas the Emirates has a high % of middle class Londoners driving in for the game. If the game was on at 7pm it'd have been completely different. Probably as well that it wasn't. Next week is the big one

Absolutely. It's why away fans in the Premier League are louder than the home side. P!ssed and on a day out, of course you're going to be louder than those home fans who turn up straight from work or their dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Sadler going after Delaney.

brevity wrote: »
    Sadler going after Delaney.

What he say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What he say?

Went on about John Delaney being a bit of a hypocrite because prior to the 5m euro thing he was asking for fairness and transparency but since then there hasn't been clarification on the funds that the Irish FA got from FIFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

RoryMac wrote: »
    The booing of GSTQ didn't really come across on Setanta, was it widespread?

The anthem wasn't really booed, a few idiots. But when it was turned into a terrace chant it was booed down. I don't see a problem with drowning out the oppositions songs though.

I'd no problem with the Sterling boos either, it seemed to affect him. He had a terrible game. If people want to sit and politely applaud everyone i'd recommend the theatre or opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    The match wasn't sold out so it's not simple economics. Next time we play England in a friendly a lot of people won't pay that money again for such an overhyped fixture.

How many people payed €70?? Most people sitting around me had bought the season ticket. I'd say there was maybe 3-5000 full priced tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

296D7DF900000578-3114325-image-a-11_1433697893902.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

mikeym wrote: »
    Not really Liverpool fans arent happy at Sterlings attitude.

Booing Englands anthem was embarrassing.

Wow. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

SantryRed wrote: »
    The boos for Sterling are embarrassing.

He clearly didn't fancy it today once it going and appeared to be doing all he could to get off the field. Job done from the crowd, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Paully D wrote: »
    He clearly didn't fancy it today once it going and appeared to be doing all he could to get off the field. Job done from the crowd, no?

He hasnt "fancied" it for months now. He is brain dead if he thinks the likes of Madrid are thinking of signing him. Not near good enough yet. He should bite the hands of pool for a 100k yearly salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Really crap game. Not a lot of interest on display from both teams. It could have done with a bit more excitement, instead it felt like a dress rehearsal for the next time the two sides meet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They should have penalty shootouts after friendlies that end in a draw (or even if there is a winner) especially pre tournament friendlies .

makes the finale more exciting, someone will win.
    might keep everyone there until the end
    England (and Ireland) need the practice.

a team can practice penalties until the cows come home, but doing it in front of 40-45,000 people, I think would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

mikeym wrote: »
    Disgruntled Liverpool fans.

I didn't realise it was a Liverpool game? Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Yawn, I've just woken up, what was the final score?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Yawn, I've just woken up, what was the final score?

Football was the winner. Or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

It wasn't exactly thrilling, but I thought Ireland played pretty well! I think if we can play similarly against Scotland we'll win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

cson wrote: »
    Was gonna say; you'd love to get them as your #1 seed in a qualifying group. We'd actually have a chance of getting a couple of results.

No we would'nt, cos we are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It's a friendly with two unexciting sides, what do people expect? it wasn't the worst game I've ever seen. If people are saying it was the worst then they must not watch a lot of the mid-low level teams in the Prem. Plus it was a good RESULT for Ireland, number 60 vs number 15(I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ebbsy wrote: »
    No we would'nt, cos we are crap.

yes we would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

rarnes1 wrote: »
    10868292_730469377063506_567595751398913447_n.png?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=f87fefbf72685b39912b68dad9c27242&oe=5601FF0E&__gda__=1443170767_6081c61161dd20b0ba15351208b73e24

uby1txO.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

elefant wrote: »
    It wasn't exactly thrilling, but I thought Ireland played pretty well! I think if we can play similarly against Scotland we'll win.

I think one of the most frustrating aspects of watching Ireland is knowing that if they just showed a bit more belief and played a bit more freely, they would be a match for just about any 2-4 seeded team. Too many times they show timidity in competitive matches, only to show good form in friendlies.

It's Ireland's tactic to 'keep things tight and nick a goal'. That's okay for your scrappy away games to thorny customers like a Georgia or Albania, especially early in the campaign, but when you get to the business end of things, you have to show guile against the teams above you, and it's doubly needed when points have to be got. That's the situation Ireland find themselves in right now. It may be Ireland's tactic v. Scotland again, but I ask when has it ever worked when needed? It ended badly for Trap's last campaign, and Kerr limped out with a 0-0 to the Swiss that time. Nothing worse than watching the gutless 0-0 when you need a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

elefant wrote: »
    That's putting it mildly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

They should have penalty shootouts after friendlies that end in a draw (or even if there is a winner) especially pre tournament friendlies .

a team can practice penalties until the cows come home, but doing it in front of 40-45,000 people, I think would be interesting.

Only so long as the penalty shootout had no bearing on the official outcome of the match in the case of a draw. Don't need managers playing more conservatively in friendly games because of an all or nothing (or considerably less) share of ranking points on the line.

briany wrote: »
    Only so long as the penalty shootout had no bearing on the official outcome of the match in the case of a draw. Don't need managers playing more conservatively in friendly games because of an all or nothing (or considerably less) share of ranking points on the line.

Oh, Absolutely, it's just for shíts & giggles, to give the fans something to cheer about, especially after a drab 0-0 draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I actually think that's a very good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Are there tickets available for the match against Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Are there tickets available for the match against Scotland?

Sold out.

Hoping to come across a couple somewhere.

Has anyone any experience of buying tickets off done deal? Are they more than likely genuine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Ireland have now gone unbeaten in their last seven England matches, with England's last victory over 30 years ago.

Take that, England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Winning 1 and drawing 6, such a Irish thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Ireland have now gone unbeaten in their last seven England matches, with England's last victory over 30 years ago.

Take that, England.

Yeah I'm sure they really care about that, how many tournaments have they been in them 30 years compared to Ireland?

I actually think that's a very good idea.

I've been saying (thinking) it for years,

you'r having your 2-3 pre tournament friendlies, and after the 90 minutes, regardless of the score, have a penalty shootout,
    Your going into a tournament where a game could very well end up in a penalty shootout scenario, so why not practice them in front of a crowd,

Think back to 2002 and our shocking penalty shootout performance against Spain, perhaps a 'friendly' shootout mightn't have changed a thing, but who knows! practice is practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Think back to 2002 and our shocking penalty shootout performance against Spain, perhaps a 'friendly' shootout mightn't have changed a thing, but who knows! practice is practice.

Dave Connolly regularly took penalties for his club in real match situations prior to that, so unfortunately not sure he could be helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've been saying (thinking) it for years,

you'r having your 2-3 pre tournament friendlies, and after the 90 minutes, regardless of the score, have a penalty shootout,
    Your going into a tournament where a game could very well end up in a penalty shootout scenario, so why not practice them in front of a crowd,

They practice all week though, you'd hope anyway.

I don't know.... it seems like a good idea but you can't replicate the pressure of a tournament shoot-out. I was at Wembley two weeks ago to see my team get promoted on penalties. It was the most nerve-wracking experience I'd been through probably since Euro 96. I've seen us in competative shoot-outs before but it all counts for nothing when the stakes at that high. I can only imagine how the players felt.

Tbh better technical players tend to be better at high pressure penalties and that more than anything else has been behind Ireland and England's high-profile failures, IMO.

The other thing as well is that you're giving potential opposition information on your penalty takers. Everyone can easily research where Robbie Keane & Wayne Rooney like to hit their pens but when it goes down to 4th, 5th, 6th takers and beyond its unlikely that scouts have much information to brief their goalkeepers on.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The other thing as well is that you're giving potential opposition information on your penalty takers. Everyone can easily research where Robbie Keane & Wayne Rooney like to hit their pens but when it goes down to 4th, 5th, 6th takers and beyond its unlikely that scouts have much information to brief their goalkeepers on.

Very true, and I actually did expect someone to flag that up as I was writing yesterday, but it could also be used to give them a bum steer!!
    i.e. every practice penalty a non regular taker might take could be left/right every time, and them come the crucial shootout, they could go straight down the middle ala panenka and become the hero!

Advertisement