Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Been dipping in and out of this, well done, that's good progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Been dipping in and out of this, well done, that's good progress.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Hey Diego - well done on all your progress and PBs of late! Hard to keep track of them all :D (a good complaint).

I second what Neady says - you'll do well in Connemara. I ran it last year (Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/284303826) and I loved it - but my main observation was that the HOTW has quite the exaggerated reputation. Yes, it's quite a long drag but not overly steep, the only thing is it's late in the day so you'll be running it on tired legs. But you have plenty of training in the legs - much more than I had last year, so if you get yourself to the bottom of the hill in a decent shape, you'll be fine. Nice little sharp descent afterwards, and then what I thought was the hardest, the 2 flat km to the finish when you can hear the speaker already.

The main thing is to not overdo it on the initial climb out of Leenane. After that, there's a long, very nice downhill stretch where you can clock many easy km's at a decent pace. The scenery is unreal - I remember being in awe all the time ("I'm running Connemara!!") and it provides a great distraction. I hope you'll love it as much as I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great work D and enjoyed the report. Funny how I know your 10 mile pb and I can never remember my own :eek:

Looking forward to some racing in April but meanwhile keep whetting my appetite for racing.

nop98 wrote: »
    Hey Diego - well done on all your progress and PBs of late! Hard to keep track of them all :D (a good complaint).

I second what Neady says - you'll do well in Connemara. I ran it last year (Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/284303826) and I loved it - but my main observation was that the HOTW has quite the exaggerated reputation. Yes, it's quite a long drag but not overly steep, the only thing is it's late in the day so you'll be running it on tired legs. But you have plenty of training in the legs - much more than I had last year, so if you get yourself to the bottom of the hill in a decent shape, you'll be fine. Nice little sharp descent afterwards, and then what I thought was the hardest, the 2 flat km to the finish when you can hear the speaker already.

The main thing is to not overdo it on the initial climb out of Leenane. After that, there's a long, very nice downhill stretch where you can clock many easy km's at a decent pace. The scenery is unreal - I remember being in awe all the time ("I'm running Connemara!!") and it provides a great distraction. I hope you'll love it as much as I did!

Ah excellent, thanks for info N....and I have saved off your link to the race there as will likely to do a pace band for it so will note hill info on it using your strava info. Looking forward to it as like Ballycotton it's a run I heard about quite a few years back!

• Advertisement

denis b wrote: »
    Great work D and enjoyed the report. Funny how I know your 10 mile pb and I can never remember my own :eek:

Looking forward to some racing in April but meanwhile keep whetting my appetite for racing.

Haha very good, yeah it's gonna be a while before I do a 10 mile race again so guessing the next chance I will have to break it might be the RNR half marathon in August. Hoping a good few more months training in me at that stage.

Good stuff, I think you are going to blow away many pbs this year as your training has been catching my eye with it's structure.

Monday 7-03-2016

3.1m recovery run on the treadmill, 10kph & 1% incline in 29:56.
    Legs definitely feeling it from Ballycotton race so kept the effort easy enough.

Tuesday & Wednesday

Nothing, early morning start on Tuesday and a good bit of time spent travelling up and down the country for work both days.
    Originally had planned bringing my running gear with me and getting a run done in the Phoenix Park on Tuesday evening but caught up with a mate instead. Was going to do some S&C work back in the hotel when I got there but was so tired I said I'd get an early night so was in bed at 10 which is absurdly early for me.
    Flew back home to Kerry then on Wednesday after work

Thursday 10-03-2016

AM
    Strength & Conditioning work
    3 x 15 reps double leg squats with 5kg kettlebell
    3 x 15 reps single leg squats on each leg with same kettlebell
    3 x 15 calves raises with kettlebell
    3 x 15 kettle bell swings with 5kg bell

PM
    6.5m in 58:33 @ 9min/mi
    Easy paced run but picked a good out/back route that has a good hill at the start/finish. Felt pretty tired doing this run and definitely could feel a bit more of that cold coming on. It's been there or thereabouts all week since last Sunday morning but not fully blown yet. Jacked tired a lot though.

Splits
    10:02
    8:52
    8:49
    9:01
    8:57
    8:38

Friday 11-03-2016

Rest day

Saturday 12-03-2016

4.5m in 38:02 @ 8:27min/mi broken down into 1 mile warm up (up hill), 3 miles @ half marathon pace and a mile down hill to cool down.
    Really nice morning and said I'd head into Tralee to see some of my clubmates running in the Tralee Half/Full marathon. Energy levels not the best so was happy with my decision not to race today.
    Wanted to get a run in at home to start off the day nicely and get some more miles in on this easy week. First mile was at an easy pace but up hill, then 3 miles on the flat so ran those around 8min/mi and then finished up with around 0.5 mile downhill. Effort wise this run felt good but it was short really.

Splits
    9:28
    8:04
    8:21
    7:57

Can feel my left Achilles a teeny bit after this so will see how this is tomorrow before I run again. Now and again I can feel my Achilles after hill runs, often been the case and I think this may have been down to the S&C work I did on Thursday and running that evening afterwards. I need to be more careful and try keep that stuff onto the non-running days I have.

Into town to see the race finish and just caught my mate really nailing his goal time on the half. He was going for sub 1:30 and came home just over 1:27. Some fine running with a 5 minute PB for him.
    Also some other highlights were another club mate finishing second in the men's half with another fine run. Looking in good shape for his planned marathon later in the year and training very well.
    The female race in the full was won by a clubmate with some fine running in 3:30. She was not in the best nick after the race as she is struggling with a stomach bug but that is some time to get in those conditions for her. She was a few mins off her PB but her time for the distance have me very envious at times but in the 50-54 age class she can more than match and beat many half her age in both genders. Some going that!
    Plenty of other club mates running too and all seemed pleased so was nice to see them finish with so many great runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Hey D, should try icing Achilles for 15 mins or so after run, when acting up, if
    You put some ice cubes in food bag, hold on Achilles with towel works really well.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Hey D, should try icing Achilles for 15 mins or so after run, when acting up, if
    You put some ice cubes in food bag, hold on Achilles with towel works really well.
    Cool ta for that, will give it a go!

Sunday 13-03-2016

6.2m easy effort.

Late enough to start the run on the fine country roads down here at 6:15 this evening but wanted to do my last run of the week on the road and not the treadmill. Got away with it before darkness took over!
    My plan was to do a nice easy effort 10K/6.2m to finally take my weekly mileage above the 20 mile threshold for the first time since the marathon itself. Outside of that it was the first week in October that I last broke 20 in training. Very nice evening for a run, not a breeze and very calm. Picked a route that was about as flat as can be down here (mindful of the Achillles since yesterday) and it felt grand throughout. Small feeling in it this evening but not bad at all, will be careful with hill and the likes this week. Got yet another new blister, cursed at the moment with them on both left and right feet. My 1000 mile socks (I have about 7 pairs) have given up on me errr!

Avg pace this evening was 8:30min/mi....splits as follows
    8:48
    8:20
    8:13
    8:40
    8:21
    8:34

Weekly mileage 20.3miles, yah! That 0.3 makes me happy and also got out four times this week too.
    Plan for next week is the same, try edge a little bit more into the early 20's and see how we go. Only working 3 days this week so should be good opportunities to get some decent runs in.

• Advertisement

Monday 14-03-2016

Rest day

Tuesday 15-03-2016

4m steady, avg pace was 8:24min/mi.
    Uneventful run, effort felt pretty consistent throughout.

Splits of
    8:29
    8:14
    8:32
    8:23

Wednesday 16-03-2016

Strength and conditioning work
    3x 15 reps squats with 5kg kettlebell
    3x 15 reps on each leg single leg squats with 5kg kettlebell
    3x 15 reps single leg raises with 5kg kettlebell
    1x 15 reps kettlebell swings (these seem to irritate my knee the way single leg squats used to so will be careful with building them up)

Thursday 17-03-2016

11m LSR (more steady than slow but effort was comfortable)
    Avg pace 8:35, avg heart rate 160bpm

Longest run since DCM so pretty pleased with this, first 3 miles was on what is a regular route for me but miles 3-7 was a new route for me which was nice outside of the new dogs to encounter. Particularly pleased with the consistency of the pace in the middle of the run. Last mile was tough enough as there is a consistent drag effect on it which even on short runs can be felt but it reminded me of the marathon training where the last mile or so on these runs were always tough so just ran through to the beep on the watch and that was that. Seemed to have earned yet a new blister for my troubles, my fourth in recent weeks so not sure what is causing that but have a new pair of runners in the post. Also I need to start trying some other socks.
    Small twing again in the achilles after this run so will give this another week and probably get physio on it if it's not clearing up. I have two more runs on the schedule for this week, 6-7miles between both so will take another rest day and then get those in Saturday and Sunday.

Splits for today were
    8:55
    8:34
    8:16
    8:25
    8:27
    8:29
    8:31
    8:40
    9:09

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Read back to your buggy parkrun. You're flying!! Congrats on the double 10 mile PB, from what I've heard, Ballycotton is a tough enough course, especially at the finish so well done!
    Good call on not running Tralee. Don't forget - especially for the longer races - to allow roughly a day per mile raced as to allow your body to fully recover and maximise all the adaptations you've banked.
    How's the achilles? As G says, icing is great post run for reducing inflammation but no harm in having a physio check it out. Depending on where the weakness is, you can strengthen it with specific exercises. Good luck!

Read back to your buggy parkrun. You're flying!! Congrats on the double 10 mile PB, from what I've heard, Ballycotton is a tough enough course, especially at the finish so well done!
    Good call on not running Tralee. Don't forget - especially for the longer races - to allow roughly a day per mile raced as to allow your body to fully recover and maximise all the adaptations you've banked.
    How's the achilles? As G says, icing is great post run for reducing inflammation but no harm in having a physio check it out. Depending on where the weakness is, you can strengthen it with specific exercises. Good luck!

What's with the double posting on your log??!! :D:D

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Thanks very much, very happy with how the year has gone. I think the marathon effects in both negative and positive ways has hung for about 6 months as that cycle of training was possibly even harder on my body that I realize!
    Achilles is actual grand today thanks, even doing heel raises today I cannot feel anything dodgey with it so it is a funny one. Doing the ice trick and will see how it goes and due back to the Physio for an update on S&C work. On the major plus side I think the knee knack is proper gone, kinda afraid to say it till I maybe go through another marathon cycle maybe later this year!
    For sure on that 11 mile run yesterday I was glad that I had not done the race, there was nothing to gain from it barring maybe a softish pb but a risk of injury with the hilly route as well.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    What's with the double posting on your log??!! :D:D

Very special setting for that I guess!!

Friday 18/03/2016 & Saturday 19/03/2016

Nothing

Sunday 20/03/2016

6.2m easy (incl mile 5 divided into 0.1m alternating almost sprints/recovery)

Had planned to run yesterday for probably 3 miles and then 4 miles today but yesterday was a lost day with having to go up to Kildare to clean our old home after our tenant moved out without notice. The joys!
    Anyways so with that I rejigged my ideas into an easy 10K today with some 150m fast bits! First 4miles were grand enough however I stopped after two miles as my left foot (location of Wednesday's blister) was not happy. Decided to remove my sock and ran without a sock on that foot then and it felt better. Might try pick up some light socks/liners and give them a go. Noticing that my feet seem to be getting extra sweaty at the moment even at easy pace and that moisture is causing me grief there. Getting more air in there might help a bit.
    Anyways back to the run after 4 miles I said I would do a bit of speed endurance work based on notes I had got off the coach in my club. So that's 150m sprints for between 300-600m. In the end I did 5x150m approx with the same recovery between at an easy pace. I was counting to 20 slowly to do this so it seemed a second every third stride or so. My watch is in miles so alternating every 0.1 of a mile for this too. Felt sufficiently tough but haven't done this for a few weeks so I didn't go at 100 percent, probably 90-95 percent but I did an extra rep instead.
    After that then it 1.2m or so to cool down so all done just under 53mins with an overall avg pace of 8:30min/mi.

Just three runs this week as it turns out but upped the mileage with the long run so 21.2miles is the total for the week. Have a proper tough 10K race next Saturday so will likely have reduced mileage this week and at easier effort. No Achilles pain after today which is nice and no new blisters either thankfully!

Monday 21-03-2016

4mile club run, first 1-2m was a warm up run to a spot in Tralee where we did some sprint work. We had a good warm up and some stretching before doing the sprints. 10x30metres with two minute recoverys between sprints. Another 1-2m run back to the cars to cool down. Enjoyable session this and got some good cues from the coach which should help benefit over all distances. I need to try work on my stride length so he gave me a few tips on exercises to try for that. Will incorporate them into my weekly schedule.

Tuesday 22-03-2016

Nothing

Wednesday 23-03-2016

3.1m easy pace run, avg pace was 8:57min/mi

Thursday 24-03-2016

Nothing, jacked tired today so just going to take it handy for a day or two before the 10K race on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Which Race are you running, best luck with it.

diego_b wrote: »
    I need to try work on my stride length so he gave me a few tips on exercises to try for that. /QUOTE]

Hey Diego - care to share. Interested in this as I have made some changes over the last 2 years.

• Advertisement

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Which Race are you running, best luck with it.

A tough hilly one in Ballybunion, have done it the last two years...it's a good test!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck in the race.:)

diego_b wrote: »
    I need to try work on my stride length so he gave me a few tips on exercises to try for that. /QUOTE]

Hey Diego - care to share. Interested in this as I have made some changes over the last 2 years.

No worries Denis, 3 different ones, butt kicks, high knees and then one that I have no name for but basically standing with your hands against a wall in a similar position to a calf stretch but it's kinda running on the spot with driving your knees upwards for 5 reps so you finish on the leg you started...then switch to starting on the other leg. Guess the idea of this is to stretch out tight hip flexors.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Best of luck in the race.:)

Thanks very much!

Cheers for that D and best of luck with today's racing.

Cheers for that D and best of luck with today's racing.

No probs and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race!

Singer wrote: »
    Have a great race!

Ta very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck at the race today!

• Advertisement

Good luck at the race today!