Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Good week D, good job holding back, sounds like you finished nice and
    fresh good going.

Thanks G, indeed it was comfortable enough really...pushed on the last couple of miles but aside of that it was grand out.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great weeks work D training seems to be going well your HM sounds so effortless and a nice time even holding back. :) think you are enjoying the training a lot more this year when you don't have the injury to contend with.

Thanks A, that's the primary plan this year is not to get injured again so trying more of a balance with cross training, strength etc. I felt lucky to get my goal last year so pretty relaxed with this year so far and the runs are more interesting albeit shorter. It's a differently methodology of training that was recommended to me so curious to see how it goes!
    Really I just want to get through the plan and not get injured again. It's very different to last year, between not being on the same plan as others I know and not having the novices thread but tipping away at it. How's the knee btw?

Firedance wrote: »
    Sounds lovely! well done on almost sticking to the plan :p, bodes well for the big day :)

Haha thanks AM, I was very much enjoying the first few miles, don't ever do races in company like that but said I need to slow it a back bit with more of an eye on the plan. Maybe shouldn't have bothered....ask me after Charleville the weekend after next!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice going on Saturday Diego :) That's a fairly lumpy run too I'd say?

Looks like training is going really well and more importantly, you're enjoying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

It's doing ok D thanks for asking main goal for last week was the LSR Sunday and got through that. Keeping up the extra stretches and it's getting better but still there so will just have to watch it.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice going on Saturday Diego :) That's a fairly lumpy run too I'd say?

Looks like training is going really well and more importantly, you're enjoying it :)

Thanks very much, there is plenty of climbing alright but this year I felt it grand enough. The hill is mile 12 is tough going, in the full marathon there's one around mile 22 that many seem to walk.

For sure so far so good and yup enjoying it, keeping me feeling fresh and interested!

Hope your recovery is going okay for you.

It's doing ok D thanks for asking main goal for last week was the LSR Sunday and got through that. Keeping up the extra stretches and it's getting better but still there so will just have to watch it.

Fingers crossed it keeps steady for you!

DCM Training week 9 (Part 1)

Sunday 04-09-2016
    Moved the planned run from Friday evening due to the half marathon on Saturday morning. Left it till late in the evening to do the run..sometimes instead of a full day off I will do a training session one morning and then train again the evening of the next day....sometimes this can work out as 36hours which can work well for recovery for me.

This was 45mins easy with 6x12 seconds hill sprints and 10 minutes to cool down. Run went well with an avg pace in the warm up of 9:30min/mi approx, legs seemed grand after the half marathon which was nice. Sprints didn't seem to cause much issue barring it was getting dark at the time....around 9pm. 10 minute cool down run to finish up, covered 6.2m in 1hr 7mins for the full session.

Monday 05-09-2016

Planned rest day, was a bit twitchy as wanted to go running but let it go.

Tuesday 06-09-2016

45min easy run with some core and flexibility work on the schedule for today. My club were meeting up do some trail running in a nice woods in town so said I'd go along and figure a nice way to get my run done and meet up with a few people for a chat. Easy enough pace throughout, one section of the laps (we did four, with each lap getting longer) we were doing has a short climb in it but that was it really. Nice run and first trail run of the autumn. Back home afterwards and did 30 minutes of core and flexibility exercises.
    The GPS is not much good in these runs with a lot of tree cover but it recorded 4.11miles in 45mins with an avg pace of 10:58min/mi. Not sure of the distance as could be longer and the pace is probably off but going on effort it felt pretty fine.

Wednesday 07-09-2016

Was looking forward to this session, 20mins easy with 4x1mile @ 105-110% of Goal Marathon pace (90 second recoveries) and 10-15mins cool down.

Small bit of a delayed start on this one as I forgot to charge the watch so was toe tapping for 10 minutes hoping a fast charge would do the job....thankfully it did even though I started the run on 10%. Yeah Polar M400 being able for what turned out to be an 8mile run using GPS and also a heart rate monitor. It had 8% left when I was done. Some little machine!

Anyways back to run, in the first 20mins I covered just over 2miles...again nice and easy pace averaging 9:35min/mi.
    Into the intervals then I was aiming for 8:15-8:40min/mi. Typically doing this kind of work I've been on the faster side of things.
    First mile split: 8:27
    Second mile split: 8:26
    Third mile split: 8:11
    Fourth mile split: 8:18

Happy with how it went overall, I checked my watch at 0.25 of a mile to see was I on target...in/around 2 minutes passed for the first 0.25. Third interval was too fast really and that section of the road has a bit of an incline in it so I should have eased it back. Meant the fourth interval was tougher than should have been as my heart rate had not fully dropped down before starting it.

15 minutes then to cool down (avg pace of 9:34min/mi for that) with a 5 minute walk then at the end.
    Covered 8.08 miles over the course of 1hr 13 minutes. These sessions are probably my favourite of the plan really, 1 mile intervals are challenging but I enjoy it. Also you get long enough to try ensure to get the pacing right, shorter stuff I feel I probably push then too hard but some of that is simply lack of practice at 400m/800m runs.

DCM Training week 9 (Part 2)

Thursday 08-09-2016

Rest day was on the plan but in prep for a cycling event at the weekend I did a short 13min cycle on my 3mile running loop, just a full gear check.
    Some strength work then after that.
    Squats with 10kg kettle bells, 4x10 reps
    Single leg squats with 5kg kettle bells, 4x10 reps
    Bridges with 10kg kettle bells, 4x10 reps
    Heel raises, 4x10 reps

Friday 09-09-2016

On the plan for today was a fartlek session, 30min easy w/u, 4x 20secs fast with 40secs recoveries, 5min cool down.
    Got this done at lunchtime, the fast bits were fun reaching top speeds of low 6min/mi and a 5:45 in the final interval. Covered just over 4.2m in 38 and a half mins.

Saturday 10-09-2016

This weekend is a bit odd as there's no run let alone long run on the plan. Today had 30min cross training so I participated in a local school fundraiser with a 40K cycle. When the cycle started I kinda went with what appeared to be the faster group and stayed with for the first 14K, before easing back a bit. We split off then about 10 mins after that and with that I was on my own and I picked up a lead car in front of me. For the next hour or so I saw no one bar that car and came home in 1hr 34mins (41K). From what I can tell I was the first finisher as a few people took an escape road to the finish at 25K. I met the lead driver afterwards and he was complimentary saying he was finding it hard to stay ahead of me (ego massaged, check). To be honest I wasn't too interested too have too leisurely a cycles today as with no run this weekend I wanted a good workout plus there was a match on tele I wanted to be home for! My longest ever cycle in distance and time!

Total running mileage for the week 22:58.

Next week changes things on the running front a bit with my final race pre DCM in Charleville next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

You jumping to the dark side as well:D well done on the win. When do the
    swimming lessons start.

You jumping to the dark side as well:D well done on the win. When do the
    swimming lessons start.

Haha thanks, at some stage! I used to be able to when I was younger but will need a lot of work. I won't be shying away from running anytime soon. Have a few goals in mind for next year, they will formulate after Dublin. Will be doing Connemarathon (maybe the full) again or London if I get lucky in the ballot. I think the bike can be complimentary on the endurance side of things and plan to keep it in my weekly schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Yay another cycle / running log :D Fair play to you, that's some cycle!

Yay another cycle / running log :D Fair play to you, that's some cycle!

Haha thanks, we'll have to be careful or the logs will be ejected!
    This is an event I have my eye on for next year -> http://www.dingleadventurerace.com/
    A few of my clubmates including club head coach have partaken in it the last few years and looks like fun. Of all the aspects to it it's the mountain run/hike run I would be most concerned about....running up Mount Brandon sounds like a real challenge....never mind the cycle up Conor Pass!

I would like to maybe do the Ring of Kerry cycle as well next year, will need to get used to decent stints in the bike before that. Even with 40K on Saturday I was thinking an hour of this stuff is about enough for now!!

diego_b wrote: »
    Haha thanks, we'll have to be careful or the logs will be ejected!
    This is an event I have my eye on for next year -> http://www.dingleadventurerace.com/
    A few of my clubmates including club head coach have partaken in it the last few years and looks like fun. Of all the aspects to it it's the mountain run/hike run I would be most concerned about....running up Mount Brandon sounds like a real challenge....never mind the cycle up Conor Pass!

I would like to maybe do the Ring of Kerry cycle as well next year, will need to get used to decent stints in the bike before that. Even with 40K on Saturday I was thinking an hour of this stuff is about enough for now!!

Ooohhhh that looks like fun!!!! might stick that onto my new 'things to try next year' list :D thanks D!

They can just try and eject us, jealousy is all it is :p

Ooohhhh that looks like fun!!!! might stick that onto my new 'things to try next year' list :D thanks D!

They can just try and eject us, jealousy is all it is :p

No probs, have done two half marathons over that neck of the woods in the last few years and I really like it. If it's a clear day at all you get some great views.

It's just cross training sure!!

Best luck Sunday D have a good one.

Best luck Sunday D have a good one.

Thanks G!

• Advertisement

Best of luck Sunday D

Best of luck Sunday D

Thanks A!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow D,the Dingle half was a training run are you racing tomorrow and if you are whats the target?

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow D,the Dingle half was a training run are you racing tomorrow and if you are whats the target?

Thank you kindly! Dingle was a training run for sure, felt very comfortable. My current pb is 1:46:54 from the Rock and Rock Half marathon. Tomorrow's target is 1:45:xx. I would love to say 1:44:59 but I would be surprised. Will be using the 1:45 pacers and seeing how it goes.

The very best of luck D! have a great race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

diego_b wrote: »
    Thank you kindly! Dingle was a training run for sure, felt very comfortable. My current pb is 1:46:54 from the Rock and Rock Half marathon. Tomorrow's target is 1:45:xx. I would love to say 1:44:59 but I would be surprised. Will be using the 1:45 pacers and seeing how it goes.

Have a good one tomorrow!

DCM Training week 10

Sunday 11-09-2016
    On the plan was a rest day, suppose no harm after the 40K cycle the previous day. Found it really odd and a bit agitating not to be running at the weekend but trying to stick to the plan.

Monday 12-09-2016
    50min easy run on for today, completed that at an average pace of 9:30min/mi. Avg heart rate of 139bpm. Covered 5.27 miles in that time.
    Splits of 10:13, 9:22, 9:25, 9:27, 9:00.

This was an out and back run that starts with a fairly hefty climb for most of the first mile but you have that same hill as a really nice downhill to finish. It's the same hill I use for my hill sprints when doing them.
    Can't recall too many thoughts about the run but I do think I was feeling a bit tired doing it.

Tuesday 13-09-2016
    60min easy on the plan for today, covered 6.4 miles in the session with an average pace of 9:23min/mi. Splits of 9:29, 9:19, 9:23, 9:19, 9:19, 9:22. Average heart rate of 138bpm.
    This run felt very easy, pace wise it was a little bit quicker than the evening before but felt so much easier.
    Also did 30min core and flexibility work after the run.

Wednesday 14-09-2016
    The big session for the week and I guess the reason why there was no weekend run last weekend. The plan was 20min warm-up, 14-16 400m/0.25mile intervals @ 110-115% goal marathon pace with 90 second recoveries and 15min cool down. A right doozy of a speed session!
    I figured I'd be covering 9-9.5miles in the run so planning a route for this was a bit challenging as I try to my speed work on the flat, also for mental reasons ahead of Charleville I wanted the experience of long long straights as that's what I will on Sunday when racing the half marathon.

Out the door around half 5, 20 minute warm up covering 2.1mile @ 9:32min/mi.
    I was afraid that I would lose count when doing the intervals so my plan for keeping mental note of what interval I was on was to refer to each interval as an associated player from the 1998/99 Man United squad. This worked really well aside for some reason I skipped Ronny Johnson (Number 5) completely and went straight to Jaap Stam (6). I can even remember doing as I was just turning after the recovery section after the 4th interval and I just jumped to 6. Anyways no matter really as the plan said 14-16 and I ended up doing 15. Using this technique I can actually remember each interval associated with the squad player really well. I will use it again in future but not forget how to count!!

My target pace for the 0.25miles splits was 1:56-2:03 and the results were as follows.
    1. 1.57
    2. 1:58
    3. 2:00
    4. 2:02
    5. Brain fart
    6. 1:58
    7. 1:59
    8. 2:00
    9. 1:58
    10. 1.59
    11. 1.55
    12. 1:54
    13. 1:57
    14. 2:01
    15. 2:01
    16. 1:54

Really only 15 as mentioned I skipped number 5 altogether!

15min cool down then, covering a mile and half @ 9:57min/mi.
    The whole session took 1hr 23mins to do and covered 9.44miles in total, my longest midweek run in a long time. It was a tough session but enjoyable, legs tired in the last one or two intervals but prior to that the 90 second recoveries were bang on and no problems hitting my target times.

Thursday 15-09-2016
    Rest day

Friday 16-09-2016
    The plan had 45mins easy with hill sprints but owing to the little half marathon on Sunday I forgoe the hill sprints completely and just did the 45minutes. I went out at 7:30/45 in the morning to do this and it was really really lovely.
    Legs took a bit longer than normal to warm up but the run was effortless.
    4.75miles later @ an average pace of 9:28min/mi, average hr of 138bpm.
    Splits were 9:27, 9:24, 9:26, 9:25.
    I have rated this run as a 2/10 on the perceived effort scale, maybe running in the morning made it just seem so easy but was very happy after this run especially given the session on Wednesday.

Saturday 17-09-2016
    30min run or 30min crosstraining with core and flexibility work on the plan for today. Not doing either and keeping things on the down low as much as possible, exercise consisted of a 20/30 min stroll on Banna Strand this afternoon.

Total mileage for the week: 25.86

Early to bed tonight and on the road to Charleville early in the morning for final race pre-DCM.

The very best of luck D! have a great race.
    Singer wrote: »
    Have a good one tomorrow!

Ta very much, once marathon training is not taking too much out of me this week the race gods should hopefully smile down upon me!!

By my watch 1:43:43...so so happy with that. Stuck to the 1:45 pacers up to 10 miles and then pushed on. Delighted!!

Over 3 mins knocked off my time from the Rock and Roll Half marathon in August.

Fantastic! congrats, look forward to the report :)

Fantastic! congrats, look forward to the report :)

Thank you kindly, just sitting down to do it now!

Charleville Half marathon race report

Preamble
    This was to be my third and final attempt at a sub 1:45 half marathon this year. I started the year with 1:50:34 pb from Dingle 2015, broke that in wild and windy Connemara 1:48:39, again in a lot of blistering pain in Limerick with a 1:47:44 and with another windy run in the Rock and Rock Half marathon in Dublin getting 1:46:54. In both Limerick and Dublin I had gone out without using the pacers at my own 8 min/mi pace but in each instance it didn't work out... Limerick was a sort point quite literally as the route should have favoured me...I thought...and the god forsaken blisters. Also quite simply I wasn't up to the time.

Prep
    Saturday was the freeist day I have had for a very long time, my wife and daughter were heading up the country so I was going to be home along for the entire day. As someone who works from a home office Monday through Friday this was not going to really be a running, also with conserving energy for the race to follow I couldn't horse into a few things around home that I would like to tackle. I "like" to do housework in an a bit of an odd way but moreso I like keeping on top of it. To kill some of the day I went into town to clear the car and pick up a few bits of pieces I have meaning to get. Killed another hour strolling at the beach before spending the evening catching up on some tele on the sky box. Gear prepped for the race and to bed around 11pm for a 6:30am alarm call.

On the road this morning at 7:20 and arrived in Charleville just before 9am. Atmosphere building nicely around and bumped into a few familiar faces from home that were doing the race too. Took advantage of the mini track to do a warm up, did just over a mile nice and easy pace with some dynamic stretches as well. The weather appeared to be playing ball as I walked with a neighbour up to the start area. We compared notes for plans for the day, I told him that I was going to go out with 1:45 pacers and see how it went. He was debating 1:30 or 1:35, he went with the faster bunch setting a 10K and half marathon pb and had to stop 5 times. Delighted for him but sounds like a tough race!
    Spotted who I thought was FBOT to the side of the starting area sheltering from the rain that had arrived. Had a quick hello and indeed it was him, nice to meet you M and well done on your race today!
    Into the pack and found my 1:45 pacing group, couple of minutes past the hour and we were off.

Mile 1
    Quick start to this race with a bit of kick downwards the street, nice to start that way but not nice to look forward to for the finish. Settled into pace quickly enough and as we turned the first corner (we would not see another till after 5 miles) I slotted nicely into place behind the pacers. Time to camp!
    Split: 7:51

Mile 2-4
    Pretty much just holding pace now at this point and rattle off the miles.
    I noted in the fourth mile that the tongue in my left runner was starting to annoy me ala Dingle two weeks ago and I was debated what to do. I knew I'd have to stop to adjust it and just at the four mile marker I took off to a gateway to the side to do it and then back up into the group. There wasn't any real wind as such but I was holding a position right in the middle of the group and close enough behind the pacers for any shelter that might be needed.
    Splits: 7:47, 7:55, 7:57

Mile 5
    Was doing some checks in this one as to how I was feeling, I remembered after 5 miles in Limerick that I was starting to feel the effort. Today was different, my breathing was very steady and we were holding the pace very nicely. The beauty of an 8min/mi target is that you just have to remember your 8 times tables for your mile times!
    Split: 7:54

Mile 6
    Finally a turn, the group cheered! We were tipping in the road towards Kilmallock. There was a bit more support on the roads at spots here and that was nice. In fairness it was a wet day so fairplay to those who got out to support. Pacers were doing a really good job, keeping people informed where we were at. 10 seconds ahead of target for the most part at each mile.
    Split: 7:55

Mile 7
    Into Kilmallock, took my gel here and managed to dispatch the wrapper into a bin...I hate running with the sticky thing in my hand and don't like putting the empty back into the flipbelt either. We went past a large flag for the Bru athletics club. Nice support in fairness to them and each of the water stops was done well with plenty of helpers big and small ensuring everyone got a bottle if they wanted one. We went through half way here in 52:27 so still on target.
    Split: 7:59

Mile 8-9
    Bit of work to do on these miles it felt but just put the head down and kept at it, I started to think I am okay at this pace and get to 10 miles and then see where you're at. I noted from earlier that those around me seemed to be breathing a lot heavier than I was. When the pacers told us to push at spots I was able to respond and keep up with them fine.
    Split: 7:55, 7:54

Mile 10
    Important mile this one and tough enough to be honest, there was a bit of climbing as such. Nothing bad but you could feel it in the legs. We were still on target within a few seconds under going by the mile markers. I knew it was going to be tight for the 1:45 but the pacers were getting us there. Out onto the main road at the end of the mile and the final water stop. I took a bottle and a small sip from it, gave my face a bit of a splash to wash off the sweat/general rain.
    Split: 8:01

Mile 11
    Nice bit of coaching from the Eagle AC pacer here who took the lead of the group with his mate Graham going to the back. He told us the mind will start to trick you now to relax but don't do it, we had passed a good few people in the last mile or so and seemed to be going well as a group.
    I stayed at the top of the pack and actually side by side with the pacer for a bit before just naturally easing on a bit. By the end of this mile I seemed to have clear road ahead of me and decided I was going to give it a good push now. A pb was in the bag comfortably, sub 1:45 was there and if I was getting selfish now thinking I reckon I could get under 1:44.
    Split: 7:46

Mile 12
    Flying it, loving it....feeling so strong and passing people at a steady pace
    Hoping I could maintain the pace but I knew the last mile had a kick in it and would sting a bit.
    Split: 7:27

Mile 13
    Definitely feeling it now, getting a bit leggy getting back into the town proper. Not looking at the watch now as I couldn't really push it anymore and it was a case of que sera sera. Running along the road towards the finishing area now it was nice to see the crowds again. Some nice support here going past the Dunnes car park.
    Split: 7:43

Mile 13.1
    Turned into the laneway now for the finishing straight and gave it one final push, there was no sprint finish but I got down to a fast 5K pace and ran right through the finish line as it rolled to 1:44.
    Checked the watch and 1:43:43, estastic and gave a whop/cheer/shout/screech or something plus a fist pump. Just delighted to finally go sub 1:45 and to get it by such a nice margin.

On the official results my gross time was 1:44:00, my chip must not have registered at the start so I only have that time to go on. My watch gave me 1:43:43 and comparing with my neighbour who started two pace groups ahead of my getting 12 second difference between his gross and net times I am going to take the 1:43:43 as my net time. I also clocked a nice negative split of 52:27/51:16. The route does allow for that being pretty flat throughout barring one steep bridge and a little draggy climb in Mile 10.

Strava link

After the race I bumped into some clubmates and neighbours, quick hello to FBOT as he was leaving. Sorry not to get to chat to you proper but will catch up in Dublin late October all going well!!

Did a cool down jog back down the course to meet up with a clubmate who was coming in to finish her first ever half marathon. I ran in some of the way with her and left her off then with her mate to finish the race. Delighted for her!

Have to say I really enjoyed the race, it's very well attended from clubs in the surrounding areas/countries and in comparison to Limerick (current home of the Munster Championships) it's simply a vastly better race in many ways. I will be back.

Sounds like a great race D, and a brilliant report, delighted for you getting your goal and then some :) take it easy now for a few days, your training is going so well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done, plenty under the 1.45 there, paced very well and lovely report. Enjoy some easy ;) runs this week .

Sounds like a great race D, and a brilliant report, delighted for you getting your goal and then some take it easy now for a few days, your training is going so well!

Thanks very much, I was thrilled with it to be honest. Those few miles of pulling ahead of the 1:45 pacers felt so good really to push on. Tis nice when you put the foot down and there's still some gas in the tank and you can go with it.

Will do, today has the option of 20-30mins cross training or rest, would like to go for a spin on the bike but if I do it will be very easy.

Younganne wrote: »
    Well done, plenty under the 1.45 there, paced very well and lovely report. Enjoy some easy runs this week .

Thanks very much, I forgot to mention that your fine report from last week provided some inspiration at times. Just said to myself keep it steady, in Dublin and Limerick I kinda failed to follow my own proven strategy for half marathons and that's to focus on getting a steady pace to 10 miles and then go for it. Had a small mental battle for a few mins at times yesterday (maybe a lack of confidence from the two races above) but at 10 miles I just said 3 miles....come on and give me 3 miles.

Will be taking it easy this week, the specific session on Wednesday is not bad at all I think. 5x1 miles @ 105-110% of marathon pace so will go for the 105% which is around 8:40min/mi I think....we'll see how recovery goes over the next few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done D and congrats on the PB. You have made great progress this year and hopefully this will result in you having a really great DCM.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done D and congrats on the PB. You have made great progress this year and hopefully this will result in you having a really great DCM.

Thanks very much L, tipping away and progressing nicely for the moment!
    Just have to be good now and fingers crossed DCM goes well, nice to have the proper focus on it now for the next 5-6 weeks with no races or anything else to distract.

Nicely Done D, good strong finish, looks like training going really well. congrats on PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Nice one, congrats on the PB. That last mile is a killer alright

Nicely Done D, good strong finish, looks like training going really well. congrats on PB.

Thanks G, it was a strong finish till the last mile but I was a bit cooked then but nothing unmanageable! I knew going out the route this last bit is gonna sting later!! So far so good on the training and the body is holding together which the main thing for me as much as anything.

Nice one, congrats on the PB. That last mile is a killer alright

Ta very much, oh it really is....I was just saying to myself just do another 8min/mi and you'll be safe here. Also doing the mental maths for how many minutes left to run to just keep going!

Great stuff D well done :)

Great stuff D well done :)

Thanks A!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

More good progress here Diego, well done and keep it up!

More good progress here Diego, well done and keep it up!

Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Fantastic going, well done D.

Savage going Diego, great to see such progress form all the work wohoooooo

... and the best part of your report is at the end, you enjoyed the race :) That's what its all about.

aquinn wrote: »
    Fantastic going, well done D.

Thanks A, still very happy with it and got to see some nice pics from the race last night. Some good gurning going on towards the finish, maximum effort!
    Savage going Diego, great to see such progress form all the work wohoooooo

... and the best part of your report is at the end, you enjoyed the race :) That's what its all about.

Thanks very much Neady, indeed it's a great re-enforcement to see some nice progression over the year. Ah yeah I sometimes like to think when I am old (In fifty years I would ideally like to be one of those 70/80 year old happy out chaps that you see tipping away getting their races done) I have made some good memories in these races over the last few years and they'll stick with me.

DCM Training week 11

Sunday 18-09-2016

Charleville half marathon

Between the warm-up, race and cool-down it was just over 15 miles for the day.

Monday 19-09-2016

On the plan was a rest day or 25-30min cross training so I took a short cycle of 25mins @ easy pace covering 6 miles. Legs felt finest after the half marathon which was nice. Finding I am needed a bit more sleep but that's it really.

Tuesday 20-09-2016

Easy 45-50min run plus core and flexibility work on the plan for today.

Did this after work, and covered 5.21mi @ 9:35min/mi.
    Strength work afterwards

Single leg squats with 5kg kettle bells, 4x10 reps
    Heel raises, 4x10 reps

Wednesday 21-09-2016

Aerobic Power Intervals, easy 20min warm up, 5x 1 mile @ 105-110% of goal marathon pace with 90 second recoveries, easy 15min cool down.

2.1mi in the warm up @ 9:38min/mi
    Target pace for the miles were 8:14-8:40, splits were as follows
    (8:39, 8:36, 8:26, 8:23, 8:22)
    1.5mi in the cool down @ 9:59min/mi

Covered 9.14miles in the session which took just over 1hr 23mins.

Enjoyable pace session and after being nice to myself in the first few intervals I felt that I could have done more of them if needed to. I am not sure if I could have went much faster as the legs were tired but running the distance was fine.

Thursday 22-09-2016

Rest day as planned, working up in Dublin.

Friday 23-09-2016

The plan had 45min easy with 8x12 sec hill sprints and easy 10min cool down. Knowing I wouldn't be back down in Kerry till late that evening I said I would get my training done up in Dublin via my first ever running commute. Staying with my brother out in Clondalkin I had left my clothes in work the evening before and packed very light for night, basically running gear plus tracksuit. Up at 6:45 and on the road at 7...I ran a route that got me onto the grand canal about 10 minutes after leaving the house and heading into town from there. It was a bit of a novelty to me to be honest and barring a few cyclists I ran all the way in as far as Inchicore without encountering much at all. Very nice route, little bit run down in the spot between Ballyfermot and Bluebell but I will do it again possibly next time I am up. Got to work in 7.6miles/1hr 23mins/9:28min/mi. Shower and changed in work and at my desk for just after 8:30am. Nice way to get around the bus strike as well!

Saturday 24-09-2016

The plan had 30 min cross training or 30 minute run.
    I headed into town to see the endurance race going on in the park, spotted The Artist who should be formerly known as Ososlo doing her thing and honestly one of the most comfortable looking runners I have ever seen with both 4 and then 6.5 hours on the clock at the two times I was in the park. Well done again on your great achievement and best wishes for the recovery and your next challenge. I walked two laps with a mate who was doing the 6 hour event and he was struggled a bit to get his first ever marathon distance done with 3 laps to go. He asked would I walk with him (would have ran as well but he wanted the company and to talk) and to give his legs a chance. I said hi to A as she went past us on our first lap...she seemed in good form, I think she underrates herself though with such a fine result.
    No running myself for the day but plenty of inspiring sights!

That left my weekly mileage at 36.98 for the week. Highest in probably a year and the body is holding well. The week ahead should be similar mileage with 15 miles done today as well but that's for next week's report.

DCM Training week 12

Sunday 25-09-2016

The planned run for today was:
    20min easy, marathon pace tempo run (80mins @ 95-100% goal marathon pace), easy 20min warm down

20min easy @ 9:34min/mi, 2.10mi
    80min mp @ 9:02min/mi, 8.86mi
    21min easy @ 9:46min/mi, 2.14mi

Total distance covered was 13.1miles in 2hr 1mins....I ran for the extra minute just to get the full half marathon distance in.

Started the run at 8am as due to a busy schedule for the day I needed to get it out of the way early.
    Odd weather conditions for this run as I got soaked three times and then due to the wind had dried off before the next shower. Effort wise the run felt very easy. Took a gel on this run, first one outside half marathon races in a while, it went down fine....need to practice taking a few more of them over the longer runs.

Home then, breakfast and a shower and off to juvenile cross country coaching with the club for an hour at 11am. This was enjoyable helping out the head coach with the training, still very much finding my feet with it all.

After that then it was into Tralee as a local school was holding a fundraiser 3K and 5K event. My daughter (4.5 years old) wanted to run it so my wife and I did that with her, really nice trotting alongside her as she ran nearly the whole distance through the town park and back out onto the footpaths on a short loop. She fell twice of course but got up and went on about her business and had a few short walking breaks but very impressed with her running as much as she did. Just over 28mins it took us. It's an annual event so we'll be back and with the Junior Parkrun due to start in Tralee before the year is out I guess our little one is going to be running a bit more. We got some really nice pictures at the event as a local photographer who attends most running events in the town was on the route. Treasured memories and pictures!

Monday 26-09-2016

30min cross training for today so I did a 6 mile cycle around our village in around 26mins. After that 30mins core and flexibility work.

Tuesday 27-09-2016

50min easy run, covered 5.3m @ 9:27mi/mi, 143bpm.
    Got this run done at lunchtime, can't recall the run too well but I have it marked down as 2/10 in my training log so the effort was easy for me to do that.

Wednesday 28-09-2016

Big session on for today, Lactic Resistance Intervals.
    20min warm-up, 8xhalf mile @ Yasso-Pace with 90 second recoveries, easy 20min cool down.

Yasso pace for me is 3:50-4:00 so that was the target for the half mile splits.

20min warm-up, 2.11mi @ 9:29min/mi
    Half mile interval 1: 3:52
    Half mile interval 2: 3:53
    Half mile interval 3: 3:49
    Half mile interval 4: 3:48
    Half mile interval 5: 3:52
    Half mile interval 6: 3:51
    Half mile interval 7: 3:53
    Half mile interval 8: 3:47
    20min cool down, 2.07mi @ 9:39mi/mi

The 1st and 6th interval were into a headwind and were tough going but I was determined to get my time. For the intervals that were the fastest times, these were the ones were I tuned out a bit and just focused on form and breathing. Weather conditions weren't the best and second wet/windy run of the week but very happy with the session.
    Also debuted my nop style visor and it worked very well, kept some of the race wind off my face so will use it again in the future.

Total distance for the session was 9.16mi in 1hr 21mins.

Thursday 29-09-2016

Rest day was on the plan but I did some strength work watching a match on the tele at home.
    Single leg squats with 10kg kettle bells, 4x10 reps
    Heel raises with 10kg kettle bells, 4x10 reps

Friday 30-09-2016

Hill sprints for today, 45min warm up, 6x12 second hill sprints with recoveries, 10min cool down.
    I was out the door about 7:15 in the morning before work to get this done before work as was going to be travelling up the country after work. Getting to time of year where the hours of brightness are coming into play!
    Glorious morning and definitely made me think that I'd love to be able to run every day before work if I could. The hardest part is simply getting out the door but the effort on these morning runs is so much easier, heart rate is always lower and typically all the fastest times I have set in races have been in the morning time.

45min warm up, 4.68mi @ 9:36min/mi
    Sprints, 6x12 second sprints with 2min recoveries
    10min cool down, 1mi @ 10:13min/mi

Maximum pace achieved was 4:45min/mi....now if I could only do that outside of a 12 second sprint. Having not done these for a few weeks I picked a slightly less steep hill so was able to go a bit faster.

6.31mi covered in 1hr 7 mins.

Saturday 01-10-2016

40min easy run or 40min cross training for today so I went with the run.
    Up at my parents home in Laois so got my run done around 10am. The pace was slightly too close to marathon pace but the effort felt so easy and tipped away....was sorry not to be doing my weekend long run this morning but I have been doing them on Sunday morning so will stick with it.
    Covered 4.33mi in 40mins @ 9:15min/mi.

That left me with 40.1miles for the week and very happy with that, I remember looking at the weekly total as it was on Wednesday and thinking I might hit 40 miles for the first time ever this week knowing what I would likely run in the sessions remaining in the week. I never managed this distance before, this time last year whilst in the midst of really sh*tty knee pain I got to 39.42 miles in training for DCM 2015 and took until March before that pain went away.
    This year I am on a very different plan with a later peak and shorter taper. Due to dropped sessions last year I ended up started tapering at the start of October so my endurance simply was not there on DCM day to run the 4 hour I originally wanted (I started the race with a 4:05 pace band).
    This year I have no niggles as it stands with two long runs to go between tomorrow and next Sunday. Both have the same easy/marathon pace/easy structure.
    The plan I am on says that as it stands I can run a marathon with the training I have done so far.....I am a bit curious about that!
    Certainly my mileage (albeit not in the form of having a proper LSR at the weekend) is as high and even higher than it was last year at this time so I guess the proof will be tomorrow four weeks!

DCM Training week 13

Sunday 02-10-2016
    Easy 40min, 90min @ 95-100% marathon pace, easy 30min.

Was up at my parents house in Laois for this one so got out early to start my run at 8:15 I think it was. I ran from my birthplace to the next town over to where I went to secondary school. Really really cold morning starting off with some heavy fog. Didn't have gloves with me so I had to warm up my hand a few times over the first mile or so but eventually with some gradual climbing over the first 20 minutes or so that it passed. Cracking morning for a run then, so nice and crisp and the run felt effortless. Practiced a few gels on this run and all went down fine. The marathon pace section was all good, was wondering how that would go. Felt sorry dropping back to easy pace for the last 30 mins but with 240 mins run it left me with 17.33 miles for the day. It was very nice to run past my old secondary school and think back on some nice memories and up through the town at 9/9:30 on a Sunday morning whilst things were pretty sedate.
    Mentally and physically I was very happy with the run and hope to feel as good come Oct 30th as felt I could have ran the rest of the marathon distance comfortably enough.

40min easy @ 9:43min/mi, 4.12mi, 150bpm (monitor seemed take a bit to settle down, had not wet it before hand I think)
    90min mp @ 8:56min/mi, 10.09mi, 148bpm
    40min easy @ 9:38min/mi, 3.11mi, 141bpm

Monday 03-10-2016
    Rest day

Tuesday 04-10-2016
    Easy 50mins today, completed this at lunchtime covering 5.23 miles @ 9:34min/mi.
    Strength work then in the evening....I sneak these in sometimes whilst waiting for my daughter to settle herself to sleep. Only takes 20-25 mins with the recoveries between sets but very worthwhile.

Single leg squats with 10kg kettle bells, 4x10 reps
    Heel raises with 10kg kettle bells, 4x10 reps

Wednesday 05-10-2016

Aerobic Power Intervals, easy 20min warm-up, 6x1mile @ 105-110% marathon pace with 90 second recoveries, easy 15min cool down.

20min warm-up, 2.10mi @ 9:29min/mi

Target time 8:14-8:40 for the intervals
    8:06
    8:11
    8:09
    8:11
    8:09
    8:01

15min cool down, 1.5mi @ 10:05mi/mi

The first interval of these was too fast but I felt I'd set a marker so decided to try keep the pace up. Got through almost 3 more fine, the last 2 were tough work tough.....thought maybe towards the end of the fourth interval that I was going to bonk as was not feeling 100 percent. Similar sessions for the rest of the month will be slowed down. Silly boy.

10.28 miles covered in total.

Thursday 06-10-2016
    Rest day on the plan, had considered doing some core and flexibility work this evening but was fecked tired so took a proper rest day.

Friday 07-10-2016
    Work had been quiet this week but won't be next week so took a day off. In the morning I went for an easy 60min run. The plan for the day had 45min easy run with 6x12 second hill sprints but my legs were still only recovering for the overdoing it on Wednesday. Decided to keep it nice and steady and tip away an easy pace. 6.23mi @ 9:38min/mi.

In the afternoon my wife and daughter took the ferry from Tarbert (Kerry) to Killimer (Clare) to spend a few hours in Clare for the novelty of it all. Funny how a car ferry can entertain a 4.5 year old. Spent an hour in Vandeleur Gardens before they closed (they have a parkrun there, we will be back) and also found a really shiny new playground just outside Kilrush. Nice afternoon!

Saturday 08-10-2016

Easy 40mins on the plan for today so took that in Killarney before the Women's Mini Marathon my wife was running in. I ran around the national park, it a nice spot and I think i would like to do a few hours around here running sometime. A form of local (45mins) running tourism beckons!
    Covered 4.1miles at 9:47min/mi. Mindful of the 3 hour run planned for tomorrow so said be smrt and go slow.
    My wife got herself a pb in the 10K with 30 seconds off her previous best so very happy with that. Good few clubmates running too with one coming third in the 5K and another coming third in the 10K and a few pbs around as well it seems. My daughter was very interested in it and it seems small kids can run it too. Maybe next year will try run it with her...they allow men to run the event...a few do in those circumstances, running with kids and partners. A family event which is good to be embraced I think.

That left me with 43.17 miles for the week, a new highest ever total. Not sure if next week will beat that as tomorrow I will hit 19/20 miles in the run but the other runs in the week will differ. I figure that once the run is over tomorrow that a taper of sorts, certainly in regard weekend runs begins.

• Advertisement

DCM Training week 14 Part 1

Sunday 09-10-2016
    Easy 45min, 90min @ 95-100% marathon pace, easy 45min (+7 min to reach the magic 20 mile mark aka Everest base camp as I referred to it on Strava)

After taking Friday off work and trasping around a bit for half that day and spending a lot of time on my feet over in Killarney yesterday I was a bit anxious about today's 3 hour run as I knew I hadn't been conserving energy and staying off my feet as much I will be prior to DCM day in 3 weeks. Didn't go to bed till 12 last night so said I'd sleep in a bit later till 8 or so and start my run later this morning, have had plenty of practice at early morning runs in the last month or so and thought a good idea to get a run in that would have me running between 11-1 when the weather has heated up a bit more and finish sometime around my hopeful marathon finishing time of 1:10pm!

Worn my club singlet today, shades, flipbelt, shorts (the short list has been shortened to 1 but I have alternate options if needs be), socks (I have many of the same type now) and my runners of course. Bodyglide in the appropriate areas.
    With my runners one small change with lacing on the Kinvaras seems to have sorted out the pain I was getting in the last two half marathons I have raced in them. I just need to leave a bit of slack on the second last loops to the top (the laces connected to the pro lock thing) and that combined with stopping using a the ankle lock lacing sorted it.

Sun cream on today as well, been a while but it was brighter, warmer and later in the day. Left the house around 10am and after a brief walk I was off into it. The plan was to run from my village to Ardfert (where my club is based) and then onto Ballyheigue and back to home. That would have my around my home place around 2 hours 40mins so knew I had a few outs after that if I wasn't feeling up to it.

For the first time in a year I also worn an earphone in one ear and had a few podcasts for the run, felt bad doing that but I have done almost every single run on the my marathon training on my own and just felt like company of sorts for the run.

First 45 mins were very easy, tipped away without issue and even passed a few houses with dogs I have concerns about. Into marathon pace then a few miles outside Ardfert and held that all the way for just over 90 minutes / 10 miles. Some good drags on the road which was good. Been a year since I ran some of this route but good to be back there again and in better shape this year. I took a gel every 45 mins in the run, just to see how I would stomach them...all went down fine barring the one with caffeine which I tested last....ended up required a pitstop. Caffeine stuff definitely off my list as simply not for me....same happened in training last year!
    The effort was higher than last week but I had expected that but was able to stay on pace throughout. Once I went back to the easy 45mins (plus the extra 7mins) it was grandest and I could have stayed running. One encounter with a dog on the road then but he was only a small thing but all bark and no bite thankfully.

Finished on 20 miles with a few seconds to spare under 3hours 7mins.

45min easy @ 9:43min/mi, 4.63mi, 140bpm
    90min mp @ 8:56min/mi, 10.07mi, 156bpm
    45min easy @ 9:49min/mi, 4.59mi, 145bpm
    7min easy extra @ 9:46min/mi, 0.71mi, 144bpm

After this now the weekend runs will drop in distance but maintain same structure. Midweek will hold steady and just need injury/niggle free for another 3 weeks.

Well done D great training for dcm expecting great things.

Nice looking splits Diego, you're looking solid for DCM :)

Well done D great training for dcm expecting great things.

Thanks A, feeling good which is great and no side effects from the 20 miles yesterday, wohoo!

Nice looking splits Diego, you're looking solid for DCM :)

Thanks v much, hopefully now...the body has accepted the training much better this time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement