Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great training, I can't take the caffeine gels either, plays havoc with my stomach.

Enjoy the taper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Younganne wrote: »
    Great training, I can't take the caffeine gels either, plays havoc with my stomach.

Enjoy the taper.

Ta very much!

I don't\have never drank tea or coffee so guess no surprises really that it doesn't sit too well with me.

DCM Training week 14 part 2

Monday 10/10/2016

Core and flexibility work

Tuesday 11/10/2016

Easy 50min run, 5.13miles @ 9:45mins/mi

Wednesday 12/10/2016

Lactic Resistance Intervals, easy 20 min warm up, 8x half mile intervals @ Yasso pace with 90 seconds recoveries between each, easy 20 min cool down.

Broke down as follows
    2.1mi in 20min warmup @ 9:35min/mi

Target was 3:50-4:00 for the half miles, results as follows:

3:48
    3:54
    3:52
    3:52
    3:58
    3:56

2.1mi in 20min cool down @ 9:39mi/mi.

Total distance incl jogging recoveries 9.16 miles.

Thursday 13-10-2016

Rest

Friday 14-10-2016

45min easy, 6x12 second hill sprints, 10min cooldown.

I didn't bother stopping the watch after the 45min easy warm up so the average pace is a bit screwy overall. Warm up was approx. 9:40min/mi.

Overall distance was 6.26miles.

Saturday 15-10-2016

Choice of 40min run or 40 min cross training, figuring I had hit just over 40 miles for the week and this is supposed to be a taper of sorts I went for a cycle instead. 47min very easy, covering about 11 miles on a nice crisp morning.
    Also I could feel my right calf a small bit this morning (not a pain but more a sensation) so if I feel tomorrow I might just drop the planned 1hr 40min run.
    Up in Dublin on Monday and Tuesday for work so planning to move my easy run from Tuesday to Monday and do the last 5 miles or so (would likely do more if I don't run tomorrow) of the final stretch of the DCM route. If it is another day off tomorrow, seems to be a lot of rest days on the plan in the late stage not really a problem.

Total distance for the week 40.55 miles.

DCM Training week 15

Sunday 16/10/2016
    Was feeling the calf a small bit so decided to play it safe and postpone the long run. Felt very tetchy about missing at running the weekend having done some cycling on Saturday but felt I needed to give the body a chance.

Monday 17/10/2016
    Bad start to the day, was staying up in my parents house in Laois before going to work in Dublin. Somehow managed to hit my left Achilles off the bottom of the radiator and it was pretty sore for a bit decided it was just more of a awkward knock than anything to worry about. That evening up in Dublin I got the Luas out to Milltown and then picked up the DCM route and started from there around the 19 mile marker and back to my car in Stephen's Green. Having missed the previous day's long run I cut it back a small bit and decided I was going to do 20mins easy, 45min marathon pace, 15/20mins easy depending on what was left of the run. Managed to leave my gps watch in the car so I ran this as a naked run, I did record it with the Strava app on my phone but tried to pace it by feel and just used the stop watch on my normal watch....worked grand enough.
    It was nice to run the route, been almost a year since I ran that part of it and get a refresher on some of the inclines/declines of it. Reasonably comfortable throughout, calf felt fine but could feel it a bit....not a pain but a sensation. Couldn't resist a fast finish over the last half mile of the route, got a good run with the lights so tipped away at probably half marathon pace through the lights over the canal as they went green just in time and then down Mount St through the finishing area....see you in a week for a hopeful repeat.
    Caught up with a mate from college to watch United against Liverpool in Sinnotts so standing room only for two hours but I didn't mind. Legs felt alright.

Ran 7.9miles in 1:16:11 @ 9:37min/mi.

Tuesday 18/10/2016
    Having carried my long run into Monday I dropped the 45min easy run.
    Was traveling back to Kerry that night anyways so didn't get home till well after dark.

Wednesday 19/10/2016
    The plan for today was Aerobic Power Intervals, broke down as easy 20min warm up, 2x3200m/2mile @ 105-110% marathon pace with 90 second recoveries, easy 20 min cool down.

This run went pretty well, decided to stick with the 105% of marathon pace for the intervals so that's about 8:40min/mi. To be honest I think I have overcooked some of the shorter intervals on the plan and figure the calf issues this week have been a bit of a side effect of that. So for the first 2 mile interval it took 17:21 and the second one was 17:23. I keep them nice and steady and focused on keeping to prescribed pace.

Today distance was 8.23miles in 1:16:16.

Thursday 20/10/2016

So bite the bullet on the calf stuff today, just said I might as well get it checked and had my first physio session of this marathon program. I went to a physio in my village instead of the regular guy I go to in Tralee. It was more spur of the moment and sent her a text to see if she had any appointments. Had one two hours later as she had a cancellation! Thankfully the verdict from the physio was the same as I thought and it was just tightness, she did about 30 mins work on it and then around 10 mins on the other side just to check that. Legs felt a lot better afterwards and she was happy no issues but just some tightness and I would be grand.

Did some core and flexibility work that evening as well.

Friday 21/10/2016

Plan had 45mins easy, 6x12 sec hill sprints, 10min c/d. Scotched all that and did a 50min easy run instead. Not taking a chance with the calf which was feeling way better, sprints and the like not going to do any benefit for DCM day for me and just going to over strain now. I got out at 7:20 or so in the morning so had to have the high viz vest on and a head torch as it was still pitch dark starting off. Run went grand and covered 5.13mi @ 9:45min/mi. Funny I often meet no one on the road most parts of the day I run but yet this morning I meet 3 people out walking and saw another one a good distance away. Nice to have some kindred sprints in the black dark mornings!

Saturday 22/10/2016

Option of 30min easy or a rest day today and having missed a run earlier in the week and the calf was feeling fine. Did 3.17 miles @ 9:29min/mi.

That wrapped up the week with 24.43 miles which included my first physio session of my training plan for Dublin and my first missed run. Was anxious earlier in the the week up till getting checked with the physio on Thursday....should have done this earlier in the week but no harm caused thankfully.

Into the final week now, week 16 of training starting tomorrow with 20mins easy, 40mins @ marathon pace, 20mins....what a handy run I think.
    Raring to go now for DCM day and particularly today I felt very good running....that after a late night at a ball and not getting to bed till 2am. It will be early nights from here on in.
    Thankfully in a lot better shape this year at this stage than I was last year and starting into the plan that was a key goal for me, no interest in running marathons if it proves to be too much for me in training.

For the marathon I have decided to say hi to Mr&MrsStew before the race and stick in/around them for most of it. If I am feeling good I will hopefully push on over the last 4/5 miles but if you offered me 3:59:30/59 as my finish time I would happily take it. The mind is set now and I happy to declare my goals.

Goal A: 3:59:30
    Goal B: Beat last years time of 4:12:54
    Goal C: For me, with a marathon it will always be to finish....running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

All the best for Sunday, D! I'll be out there with my polka dot balloons to cheer you on!

All the best for Sunday, D! I'll be out there with my polka dot balloons to cheer you on!

Thanks C, will keep an eye out for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck on Sunday, hope it all goes to plan.

Best of luck on Sunday, hope it all goes to plan.

Ta very much, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I've butterflies in my tummy for you Diego, best of luck on Sunday. You've a great training block behind you, there's no doubt that you've earned a sub-4, go out and bring it home :) and enjoy the day

Neady83 wrote: »
    I've butterflies in my tummy for you Diego, best of luck on Sunday. You've a great training block behind you, there's no doubt that you've earned a sub-4, go out and bring it home :) and enjoy the day

Nice one thanks Neady, I've a small taper head cold this week as a distraction but will be all good for Sunday! Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+1!! have a great race on Sunday D, you've had a solid bank of training so fingers crossed for good conditions on the day :)

Firedance wrote: »
    +1!! have a great race on Sunday D, you've had a solid bank of training so fingers crossed for good conditions on the day :)

Thanks FD, very happy with how it went to still be in decent nick after getting through the training. Just the little oul run itself now, be grand like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Have a good one D, will be in cheering hope to see you on the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck, have a great race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck! Looks like we'll be aiming for similar times so will keep an eye out for you!

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Have a good one D, will be in cheering hope to see you on the course.

Thanks G, looking forward to it!
    Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck, have a great race.

Thanks Anne, trying to ignore those "warm" weather forecasts there.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck! Looks like we'll be aiming for similar times so will keep an eye out for you!

Indeed I just saw the post on your log with your goal times. Best of luck with your race as too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

All the best for Sunday and that A goal !

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    All the best for Sunday and that A goal !

Ta very much, hoping the weather gods are more favourable than rumoured but that's an uncontrollable and all going well should be able to stick with the pacers at worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Nice and steady D and that A Goal is yours. Cant see why you wont knock it flat. Will be watching out for you on the big day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Have a good race Sunday, diego_b. If you put your bib no on the DCM thread I'll watch you bring the sub-4 in.

denis b wrote: »
    Nice and steady D and that A Goal is yours. Cant see why you wont knock it flat. Will be watching out for you on the big day.

Thanks Denis, hoping that will be the case barring weather conditions really not suiting me!
    Have a good race Sunday, diego_b. If you put your bib no on the DCM thread I'll watch you bring the sub-4 in.

Ta very much and will do, picked it up this evening so all set!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Your goal should be no problem. Looking forward to you bringing it home :)

Singer wrote: »
    Your goal should be no problem. Looking forward to you bringing it home :)

Thanks B!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck D, have a great race.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck D, have a great race.

Ta very much and hope you're well set for it!

• Advertisement

DCM Training week 16

Sunday 23/10/2016

Last long run of the plan of it could be called that,
    Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (40min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down

This broke down for me as:

2.08mi in 20min @ 9:36min/mi
    4.43mi in 40min @ 9:01min/mi
    2.61mi in 25min @ 9:35min/mi (miscalculated my turning point so rather than have a 10 min walk and risk getting chilly I ran a bit further but easy pace).

Total distance was 9.13miles in 1hr 25mins.

Felt a cold coming on but nothing too bad really and figured it would come and go within the week. Last year I had been taking Sambucol as a booster for the immune system, recommended by Derval O'Rourke in her first book but had not bothered this year. Picked up a bottle today and started dosing!

Monday 24/10/2016

Rest day
    Cold arrived, just a bit stuffy and stayed solely head/nose related for the week.

Tuesday 25/10/2016

Easy 40min run for today, 4.15mi @ 9:39min/mi.
    Did this after work, wasn't too hard to keep the pace down as the cold was still working it's way through the system.

Wednesday 26/10/2016

(Fartlek)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 8x60sec ‘Fast’, 60sec ‘Easy’, Easy 15min Warm-Down

Had some hassles trying to get a GPS signal starting off, rarely experience those kind of issues with my watch so just took off into the run for a bit to see would it pick up and it didn't. Stopped after 5 mins and restarted again, worked fine 2nd time around.
    Don't feel so pacey doing this kinda work at the moment, I was getting down to 10K pace (been a while and seem to be only think half marathon and marathon pace these days) I would say but was wary to push it any faster than that. Session flew by though.

5.24 miles in total.

Thursday 27/10/2016

Rest day

Friday 28/10/2016

Last run of my training plan for Dublin, 30 minute easy run...I actually ran 30 and a half minutes to do 3.1 miles. Can never leave the 0.1 of a mile out the. Avg pace was 9:50min/mi. Starting the run at 7:25am in complete darkness and finished in complete darkness. Head torch and hiz viz vest and away you go, find it a bit surreal running in the countryside in darkness but to be honest with the high viz and head torch possibly more visible than would be other times during the day. One thing for sure that running straight out of the bed/in darkness is that keeps my easy pace proper easy.

Half day from work so left home with my wife just after 1:20pm and collected my daughter from school and hit the road to Dublin at 1:40pm via my parents place in Laois....child dispatched! Got into the expo around 5:45pm yesterday evening, going against the traffic is sweet! Picked up a few extra gels, brief little chat with Frank Greally (he can't run unfortunately due to a bad cold that took him out for 3 weeks but he will give it ago next year again, best of luck to him) whilst I was purchased a long sleeve running top from one of the DCM stands. Back down my parents place then afterwards via a nice burger from Five Guys (big fan and glad to finally see them set up here). Doing as little as possible today (Sat) so said I'd do my log update.

Saturday 29/10/2016

Rest day

Weekly total was 21.62 miles and signing off on the plan with 454.71 miles over the 16 weeks. It's the same amount of miles I covered in week 3-18 of the boards marathon plan last year but coming out of training in much better shape thankfully and a clean slate on the niggles....I think! Certainly the last month or so has been way better than last year was in that I only missed one session and that was through precaution than need, last year I was down to 3 not so great quality runs for most weeks of the final month. Hopefully bodes well.

That brought me up to 980.1 miles for the year.

All going well on Sunday I will achieve a few of my years goals during the race, 1000 miles, a new pb at the marathon distance and if it goes to plan on the day a sub 4 hour time.

My bib number is 11815...keep thinking it's a phone number of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best, DB.

Murph_D wrote: »
    All the best, DB.

Ta very much DM and best wishes to you as well!

Will get the report done later/tomorrow but came home in 3:57:34. Delighted with it, ran the first half behind/beside the 4 hour pacers and crossed the half way in 1:59:06. Decided then to run my own race proper for the second half.
    Finished strongly over the last 3 miles to get a negative split with 1:59:06/1:58:28. Thrilled with it all!!

Very nice to meet up in McGrattans there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant D!!! great run to follow your solid training, great to see you on the course and in McGrattans :) Celebrate now, you've earned it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Very well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done, great result

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great time! Well deserved, congratulations!

chickey2 wrote: »
    Great stuff!

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Whooooooooooooooooop well done and well deserved, can't wait to read a blow by blow account :)

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done, great result

Thanks a mill, delighted with it. Got the goal A with a bit more for good measure!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Great time! Well deserved, congratulations!

Thanks very much BG, it was great coming in over the last mile knowing I had it and just emptied whatever was left in me.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Whooooooooooooooooop well done and well deserved, can't wait to read a blow by blow account :)

Thanks very much Neady, was very emotional at the end but thankfully was wearing shades so no one could see me bawling my eyes out. Exorcised the demons a bit over the knee niggle that hampered last time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done D and accomplished in some style. Great pacing job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Must have been a lovely feeling for that last mile, knowing you had it in the bag and soaking up that atmosphere. Over the moon for you, really am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Great stuff. Well done. I know how you feel. I ended up giving the lady who gave me my medal a hug like a big sap.

Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant D!!! great run to follow your solid training, great to see you on the course and in McGrattans :) Celebrate now, you've earned it!!

Thanks very much FD, cheers for the great cheer. Gave me a good boost into the toughest part of the course...I think it is at least!

denis b wrote: »
    Well done D and accomplished in some style. Great pacing job.

Thanks Denis and nice to catch up with you afterwards!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Must have been a lovely feeling for that last mile, knowing you had it in the bag and soaking up that atmosphere. Over the moon for you, really am.

Thanks very much, the support here has been great between stuff online and in person today!
    It was for sure, I took in plenty in the first half or so and spotted many faces in the crowd...funny seeing people I haven't seen since the same event last year but it was nice. It was business time then for the second half but the last mile or so is something else and even though I was tired I drove it home my best. I had set my mind on a sub 4 gun time as well (pesky AAI results go on that of course) but got it with 30 seconds or so to spare.

Great stuff. Well done. I know how you feel. I ended up giving the lady who gave me my medal a hug like a big sap.

I'd say they got plenty, I couldn't talk for a sec then.
    Oh stop and when I crossed the line I met an old work colleague, former Olympic marathoner Pat Hooper and that with me done for then. Tears were flowing and he got a big sweaty huge for himself! Nice moment and just added to the general special feeling.

What to do with all this adrenaline now, not the best sleep ever. Body feeling not too bad though just can't sleep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Congrats on the sub-4. Nice negative split!

tailgunner wrote: »
    Congrats on the sub-4. Nice negative split!

Thanks a mill, your race report from Berlin was a fine awakening for me about staying calm and letting the race come to you. The first mile with (even 10-15 seconds) behind the 4 hour pacers was kinda mad with crowds. I think we went past the mile marker around 9:3x. That time was gained back after another 3 miles or so, just trusted in the pacers and stayed calm as I could. Then by halfway the race was there for me and plenty of clear roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done D great result, you looked to be cruising at mile 19, training really
    paid off.

Advertisement