Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great stuff D good to see you after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done D! another PB :) Completely missed you in the GAA hall :o probably need new glasses :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Great stuff D good to see you after :)

Ta very much, indeed good to meet ye. What's your next target race I never asked you?

Well done D! another PB :) Completely missed you in the GAA hall :o probably need new glasses :D

Thank you kindly, no worries at all. I'll catch you next time! We weren't there too long as was heading back to Kerry. Was home at 10pm that night, having had two pit stops on the way down...long day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done D, another great pb.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done D, another great pb.

Thanks G, nice to set a marker for the year ahead...all going well!

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 10

#latenightpostingsuperbowlabitofablowout

Sunday 29-01-2017

Planned: Rest.
    Actual: Raheny 5 mile race, including 1 mile warmup.

6miles in total a nice chunk of my 5mile pb time.

Monday 30-01-2017

Planned: Easy 50min Run.
    Actual: Rest.

Tuesday 31-01-2017

Planned: Easy 60min Run; Core and Flexibility.
    Actual: 6.2mi in 60mins @ 9:40min/mi.

Took an out and back route out towards the coast from home. It was pretty dark for the second half of the run. Was wearing a reflective top so felt okay to be seen but would have liked to have brought my head torch with me for me comfort. Legs felt fine following the race, small bit tired but nothing and and were able for the hillier route I chose without issue.

Wednesday 01-02-2017

Planned: (Lactic Resistance Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 14-16 x 400m @ 110-115% of GMP w/ 90sec Recovery Jogs, Easy 15min cool-down.
    Actual: This session requires about 1hr 15/20mins and simply didn't have time to get it done in the morning and then with juvenile coaching it would have been a case of doing it at 8/8:30 and with that would not sleep well so decided to carry it till the next day.

Thursday 02-02-2017

Planned: Rest
    Actual: (Lactic Resistance Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 14 x 400m @ 110-115% of GMP w/ 90sec Recovery Jogs, Easy 10min cool-down.

Did this in the morning before work, starting around 7:30am, cut 5 mins out of the warm up so I could get back home to see my daughter again before she went off to school. I find these interval sessions with some many reps challenging on the head, I much rather half mile or full mile reps but I got them done fine. The last 3-4 were tiring but manageable.

Target pace for the intervals was 7:26-8min/mi (1:50-2:00 for the 1/4 mile). Actual achieved was 1:45, 1:49, 1:52, 1:50, 1:51, 1:51, 1:52, 1:51, 1:52, 1:52, 1:52, 1:50, 1:53, 1:46.

Warmup : 2.06mi in 20min @ 9:42min/mi
    Cool down: 1mi in 10min

Total mileage covered: 8.45miles

Friday 03-02-2017

Planned: Easy 45min, 8x 12sec Short Hill Sprints, EZ 5min Jogging Warm-Down.
    Actual: Continuing with the everything a day later this week and carried it over to Saturday. Just did some calf exercises which I had neglected all week.

Saturday 04-02-2017

Planned: 30min XT; Core and Flexibility Training
    Actual: Easy 45min, 8x 12sec Short Hill Sprints, EZ 5min Jogging Warm-Down.

Felt fresh doing this and first run on a Saturday in ages, 6.2mi in 1:06:45 @ 10:45min/mi (4.75mi in 45min @ 9:29min/mi, 8x12sec sprint + 2min recoveries, 0.57mi in 5:41min @ 9:49min/mi). Top speed 5:39min/mi.

That wrapped up the week with a total mileage of 26.65 miles.

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 11 (First Blood)

#stillwatchingthesuperbowl

Sunday 05-02-2017

Planned: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (70min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down; Core and Flexibility Training
    Actual: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (75min @ 100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down.

Originally had planned to do this run on some of the Tralee marathon course having recced the rest I had not run on before yesterday in the car. Turns out there's only about 7-8 miles of the route I have not run the right direction on before. Some I have done in training runs, some in races and even the bit that was a complete unknown to me I have cycled so I have my bearings. There was a suggestion of a cinema trip this afternoon with my daughter and wife to see the Lego Batman movie so I changed my plans and did a run from home on a similar hilly exposed route to save time. Starting in the mid morning I took off to pick up some of the Wild Atlantic Way (plus the hills and wind it brings). Having chatted with one of the pacers for the race online during the week he was saying to me to consider going with them for 3:45 but I think it's too much. I think I am in with a shout of 3:50 if things continue to go well and the conditions on the day are favourable but for today's run I said I'd try 3:45 pacing (8:35min/mi). Got on fine really but with hills and wind I couldn't see myself holding that for a full 26.2 and I don't think I want the experience of running a painful negative split in the circumstances of going out way too fast on the day. Anyways plenty of time to worry about that stuff.
    I did cheekily work out my pacing midrun today and figured if I went from 70-75mins I could get my first half marathon distance run post DCM 2016.

Session broke down as follows:

2.13mi in 20min @ 9:22min/mi
    8.87mi in 75min @ 8:27min/mi
    2.1mi in 20min @ 9:35min/mi
    Total 13.1 miles in 1:55:05

Also tried out some salt sticks on this (for electrolyte replacement instead of High Five zero which I have used in my two marathons to date) and been trialing Kinectica's gels over the last few long runs and going fine. They are bit more palatable that High Five's are I find. But I suspect after 3/4 I'd be sick of them also. Have tried Cola and Berry flavour....very nice.

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 11 (First Blood: Part 2)

Monday 06-02-2017

Planned: Rest or 20-30mins cross training
    Actual: Core and flexibility work, calf exercises. Did these in the mid morning after having a half day off work for the Superbowl. What an amazing final quarter that was, was delighted that I stuck with it.

Tuesday 07-02-2017

Planned: Easy 45-50min run, core and flexibility run
    Actual: 4.8miles in 45mins @ 9:24min/mi. Got this in before work, mornings getting brighter so only had the head torch on for 15-20mins. Summer is coming.

Wednesday 08-02-2017

Planned: (Aerobic Power Intervals) - Easy 20min Warm-Up, 5 x 1 mile @ 105-110% of goal marathon pace with 90 second recovery jogging between, Easy 10-15min cool-down.
    Actual: (Aerobic Power Intervals) - Easy 20min Warm-Up, 5 x 1 mile @ 110% of goal marathon pace with 90 second recovery jogging between, Easy 13min cool-down.

No walk on wednesday to school today for me as my wife was working from home today so she was able to bring our daughter up to school. Even though the run was going to take 1hr 15-20mins I didn't start till 7:50 as I wanted to spend some time with our little lady before heading out. Run went well, took a simple pretty flat out and back route with a target pace of 7:43 to 8:10min/mi for the mile reps. These whilst tough at this hour of the morning were manageable. Full session broke down as follows:

2.07mi in 20min @ 9:41min/mi
    5 x 1 mile intervals, 7:40, 7:44, 7:36, 7:42, 7:37
    1.34mi in 13min @ 9:43min/mi

Total of 9 miles in 1hr 17mins.

Thursday 09-02-2017

Actual: Rest

Friday 10-02-2017

Planned: Easy 45min, 8x12 short hill sprints, Easy 10min warm down
    Actual: Easy 45min, 4.85miles @ 9:17min/mi. Up in Dublin for work and caught for time a little between work and going to catch up with friends. So I dropped the sprints/recoveries as it would have taken the session to around 70 mins long. Took in some of the DCM route running up through Stoneybatter and onto the North Circular road and into the park. Nice memories thinking back to last October. Some tasty food in Crackbird after that and poker. All was good.

Saturday 11-02-2017

Planned: Easy 30min Run or 30min cross training
    Actual: Easy 30min, 3.4mi @ 9:06min/mi. Not sure what was going on with this one as I should have been running a lot slower but felt so easy. In my head I should have been racing this weekend as there was an annual 10mile race on in Tralee on Sunday but with a wedding in Galway today/tonight it was a non starter. Sorry to miss it as I figure I have a 10mile pb to break as well whenever I race the distance again. I had thought about giving the parkrun a go in Templemore (was at my parents home in Laois and it's only about 15mins away) but with not getting home from Dublin till 1am I figured best to let it slide and just run around home.

Total mileage for week: 34.15miles (wohoo finally into the 30s)

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 12

Sunday 12-02-2017

Planned: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (80min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min c/d; Core and Flexibility Training
    Actual: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 25min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (80min @ 100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 15min c/d

After a pretty hectic few days, went from Kerry to Laois, Laois to Dublin, Dublin to Laois, Laois to Galway, Galway to Laois over 2.5 days it meant a later start than normal for my long run on Sunday. Not starting till 4:20pm meant I was going to have to deal with some darkness late on but figured it would be grand. Starting off from my parents house I tipped out the old N7 and then broke off to head across the backroads for the next 10 miles or so, I hadn't ran from this spot off the old N7 before (though I know the roads from my childhood but it's been a long time since I was down some of them and the N7 motorway ploughs through the middle of it all now so it just looks different, The next 5 miles were a small bit unnerving as my phone packed it in for some reason when I was double checking my map at a tricky new looking spot (figured sure if worse comes to worse I can always go back the way I came) so I just ran on. It was nice after about 8 miles running I spotted a well known landmark exactly where it should have been so all was well. Darkness was starting to come in then and the wind and rain but I drove on at my planned marathon pace. Got a bit cold during the cool down section so I cut it down by 5-10mins as I couldn't see underfoot anymore. Better safe than sorry!

Run broke down as follows:
    13.6mi in 2:00:22 @ 8:51min/mi (2.64mi in 25min @ 9:28min/mi, 9.37min in 80min @ 8:33min/mi, 1.59mi in 15min @ 9:38min/mi)

Monday 13-02-2017

Planned: Rest or 20-30min cross training
    Actual: Rest....travelled back home to Kerry

Tuesday 14-02-2017

Planned: (GE)- Easy 50min Run;
    Core and Flexibility
    Actual: 5.3mi in 50min @ 9:28min/mi, ran at lunchtime. Small bit tired this week but the legs were finest.

Wednesday 15-02-2017

Planned: (Lactic Resistance Intervals)- Easy
    20min Warm-Up, 8x 800m (half-mile)@ Yasso Pace w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 20min Warm-Down
    Actual:

2.13mi in 20min @ 9:23min/mi
    8x 0.5mi @ Yasso Pace (Target pace for the intervals was 3:45-3:50) 3:40, 3:44, 3:45, 3:43, 3:40, 3:42, 3:45, 3:30
    2.12mi in 20min @ 9:38min/mi

Total of 9.3miles in 1hr 20mins.

This went much better than I expected, for comparison with my training for DCM 2016 doing this same session back in September I got 3:55, 3:54, 3:48, 3:54, 3:53, 3:52, 3:58, 3:56 (Target was 3:50-4:00) so I certainly seem to be a bit faster.

I particularly happy that I was able to be bang on 3:45 at the slowest reps and for the last one which had a small climb in it I gave it my level best and got 3:30.

Thursday 16-02-2017

Actual: Calf exercises, 25min cycle

Friday 17-02-2017

Planned: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), Easy 10min c/d
    Actual: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), Easy 10min c/d

6.2miles in 1hr 6mins

Saturday 18-02-2017

Planned: Easy 40min Run or 40min cross training
    Actual: Easy 40min, 4.3miles @ 9:17min/mi.

That wrapped the week up with 39.1miles. Should have taken a tally before starting off today and I'd probably just ran for the extra 8-9 mins just to break 40 miles but that should come this week anyways.

So this day 4 weeks the race should be done, so far so good with the training as it's getting to a peak now over the next two weeks I am hoping the body continues to play ball. Training is getting a bit easier now with getting more runs done in brightness, part of the reason I signed up for this is that I wanted to prove to myself that I could train for an event like it on the road irregardless of the time of year. The weather gods in fairness have been very nice I think this winter has been very mild in general.

• Advertisement

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 13

Sunday 19-02-2017

Planned: Easy 40min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (90min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 30min Warm-Down; Core and Flexibility Training

Actual:

Tralee junior parkrun with my daughter, 1.2mi in 18.47 @ 15:17min/mi

After a gentle warm up run with my daughter doing the junior parkrun I then drove to a point 5/6 miles into the planned marathon course to start my training run. Took off then running from Tralee to Ardfert to Banna (taking in a good bit of my club's annual 10K route) and off onto the part of the course I hadn't run before between miles 15-21 of the planned route. Quite a lonely run at times but conditions were not bad, misty and a bit of chill in the air so some of the nice views were blocked. When finishing my marathon tempo run section of 90mins I had originally 30mins on my plan to run but I saw a sign that said Tralee (and where my car was, on the outskirts of the town at least) was 10K away. Cue apt swear word but anyways I said I'd run for another 10mins and see where I was at. In the end I just did an extra 15mins than planned to get back to my car. The road I was running on at this point was a bit unnerving at that point as cars were only just giving enough room and no hard shoulder. Hopefully this section of the route on the day will be well managed but we'll be running the opposite direction and from I can recall from a race two years ago it's better, unfortunately you don't get too many closed roads doing races so you learn to live with traffic.

Run broke down as follows
    3.23mi in 30min @ 9:17min/mi
    10.6mi 90min @ 8:30min/mi
    4.96mi in 45:45 @ 9:13min/mi

Total of 18.8 miles in 2:45:47

Unfortunately after my bit of route recce it was announced during the week that the route for the race has been changed due to logistical issues. Not really a surprise to be honest as I'd heard of at least one issue of late with them trying to get marshaling for the event sorted. Now the route has been changed to 2x laps of what is the current half marathon route, not really a fan of the laps idea and it will be less scenic but I think it possibly will be faster and certainly will be more sheltered which is no harm. Tomorrow I can going to run the half marathon route (weather permitting), have done it before but not in one session and not all at marathon pace.

Monday 20-02-2017

Tuesday 21-02-2017

Planned: Easy 50min Run; Core and Flexibility
    Actual: Can't recall why this ended up being a treadmill run, did 4.66 miles in 50mins at home on the treadmill.

Wednesday 22-02-2017

Planned: (Aerobic Power Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 6x 1600m (one-mile)@ 105-110% of GMP w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 15min cool down
    Actual: No way could I get this session done today so I carried it over to Thursday when I was off work with my daughter on midterm. My evening was taking up with juvenile training, got to lead my first session (happy just to be leading the younger session of the two that night). Pretty unnerving but got through it okay and the kids seemed to enjoy it. The head coach in the club is busy with work at the moment so will probably get a few more opportunities to lead the sessions over the coming month. My daughter came along as well and loved it which was nice.

Thursday 23-02-2017

Actual: (Aerobic Power Intervals)- Easy 20min w/u, 6x 1 Mile @ 110% of GMP w/ 90sec Recoveries, Easy 15min c/d

This was a tough session that I ended up doing in the afternoon, Storm Doris had eased a bit since morning but for interval 1 and 2 and then 5 and 6 it was quite exposed and I got a bit of a battering with cross winds. Funny on the last interval it was settled for a min and there was a lovely complete rainbow to my left but right then the rain started and over the last 5 mins of the interval and the 15 minute cool down I get soaked. Odd run but I got my targets so happy with it.

2.18mi in 20min
    6x1miles, target for the intervals was 7:43-8:10 (Actual was 7:43, 7:40, 7:36, 7:40, 7:40, 7:29)
    1.57mi in 15min

Total of 10.5 miles in 1:28:21

Friday 24-02-2017

Planned: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), Easy 10min Jogging Warm-Down
    Actual: 6.3mi in 1:06:27. 4.7mi in 45min @ 9:34min/mi, 6x12sec hill sprints, 0.98mi in 10:14 @ 10:25min/mi

Left this the evening time to try get 24 hours between the end of the run on Thursday and then this one. Ended up running in complete darkness for the most of it and there was a good win blowing but aside from being thought a bit odd my parents who were down to visit for the weekend it went grand. They never seem to listen when I tell them I generally train in all weather (unless it's dangerous) as you never know what a race throws up. I have a little curious one I've done a few times around bad weather initially subconciously but now deliberate where I put on my CNM 2016 t-shirt to remind me how terrible the weather was that day and I got through it and a good pb at the time. I do believe the mind can be tricked into accepting almost whatever you throw at it and it needs to be conditioned too.

Saturday 25-02-2017

Actual: Decided that after the extra mileage earlier in the week and also I need to rejig things in the week ahead (probably pulling the mid week long/speed) session a day earlier to Tuesday that I wouldn't run today. Physically doesn't feel like there would have been an issue doing but figured I'd possibly gain more by taking a day off. Did some calf exercises and core work instead.

Total mileage for the week was 41.36 miles.

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 14

Sunday 26-02-2017

Planned: Easy 40min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (90min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 30min Warm-Down; Core and Flexibility Training

Actual:

Really got blown out of it on this run, I started off with the easy section on a regular 5K route for people in Tralee (albeit into a head wind) and the one that will used on the marathon day for the 5K/10K runners. When I came around to where I had started after 30mins I was starting out on the half marathon route (what we'll be looping 2x on the marathon day). The seriously purple sky had me thinking ah feck and true enough the heavens opened and I got soaked right through....lovely with yet another two hours to run. Anyways I just ran on, found the route fine on the day but the weather was the real challenge. Here's hoping it will stand to me on race day. To finish up I did a few loops on what will be the final 1-1.5 mile stretch of the race....I had almost dried off and of course got another soaking.

Run broke down as follows
    4.27mi in 40min @ 9:22min/mi
    10.38mi in 90mins @ 8:41min/mi
    3.17mi in 30:25min @ 9:37min/mi

Total of 17.8 miles in 2:40:30

Monday 27-02-2017

Tuesday 28-02-2017

Planned: (Lactic Resistance Intervals)- Easy
    20min Warm-Up, 8-10 x 800m (half-mile)@ Yasso Pace w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 20min Warm-Down (swapped from Wed as would be up in Dublin for work and wouldn't be able to fit it in)
    Actual: As above, did 8x intervals.

2.13mi in 20min @ 9:22min/mi
    Target for the intervals was 3:45-3:50 (actual achieved was 3:45, 3:48, 3:47, 3:47, 3:47, 3:50, 3:51, 3:45)
    2.06mi in 20min @ 9:45min/mi

Wednesday 01-03-2017

Planned: Easy 50min Run; Core and Flexibility (swapped from Tuesday)
    Actual: Late enough doing this, didn't start till 9:15/20 an ran around Clondalkin where I was staying with my brother. I tried some Ososlo style loops of housing estates....well more up/down each terrace and then up to Newlands junction and back home then. Conditions were a bit better up in Dublin than the last few runs had been in Kerry, bit windy but no rain.

Thursday 02-03-2017

Friday 03-03-2017

Planned: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), Easy 10min cool down
    Actual: 4.76mi in 45min @ 9:27min/mi, 4x 12 sec sprints, 0.54mi in 5min @ 10:04min/mi.

This was done in the morning before work back home in Kerry and I got yet another soaking. Was freezing doing the sprints so decided to leave it at 4x instead of 6x and get home and get out of the wet clothes. Flight to Manchester that evening with my wife and daughter for the weekend (back home Monday morning). Packed enough clothes for running on Sat and Sun which I planned to fit in.

Saturday 04-03-2017

Actual: Rest, pretty fecked tired so decided a rest would be more worthwhile. Plenty of walking anyways so probably ticked the box with the cross training in that regard. My daughter enjoyed her first time in Old Trafford, least United scored but had to be a bloody draw.

Total mileage for the week was 37.9 miles.

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 15.1

Sunday 05-03-2017

Planned: Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (60min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down; Core and Flexibility Training

Actual: Very disappointed with myself that despite knowing if I got up early on Sunday morning I could have got this run in as planned. Too tired with all the going and slept in till 9ish (we needed to get a bus at 9:40) so said I'd do it later. Then after a day in Legoland Discovery Centre, Sealife and then Trafford Centre by the time we got back to the hotel I was done for again. Didn't let on too much to my wife but told her I was disappointed that I could have got up and got it done without impacted our plans but I was just too lazy. Figured it would mean getting it done Monday and then not messing up the rest of the week too much.

Monday 06-03-2017

Actual: Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (60min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min c/d; Core and Flexibility Training;...(carried over from Sunday)

Got back to Kerry around lunchtime and did a quick unpacking (I have a bad/good habit of unpacking immediately once I get home from anywhere). Something to eat and the started my run around half 3.

I hit the target paces I wanted but yet again wind/rain ensued throughout, bit frustrated with weather over the last few weeks of training. Well used to running in it but will definitely have a definitive Goal A, B and C (pace bands even) for conditions that might exist on race day as if they are the way they have been for the last few weeks they will play a part.

2.11mi in 20min @ 9:29min/mi
    7.08mi in 60min @ 8:29min/mi
    2.11mi in 20:30min @ 9:42min/mi

Tuesday 07-03-2017

Planned: Easy 45min Run; Core and Flexibility
    Actual: 4.7mi in 45min @ 9:36min/mi

Ran in darkness after work around 7pm so back on the head torch, lashing rain throughout so worn my running jacket (generally don't use the jackets on long runs but fine on short stuff) to keep dry.

Wednesday 08-03-2017

Planned: (Aerobic Power Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 2x 3200m (two-miles) @ 105-110% GMP w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 20min c/d
    Actual: Rest, with juvenile coaching between 6-8pm and finishing work at 5pm it wasn't a runner and having rest day was no harm. Planned to carry it to Thursday morning.

Thursday 09-03-2017

Actual: (Aerobic Power Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 2x 3200m (two-miles) @ 105-110% GMP w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 20min c/d

Started this around 7:40am before work this morning, decent amount of fog around but no wind/rain and not cold so hopefully have turned a corner on that front for a few weeks.

Broke down as follows:
    2.06mi in 20mins @ 9:41min/mi,
    2 x intervals (Target pace for the intervals was 7:43 (110%) - 8:10 (105%), actual was 7:42min/mi (15:25min in duration) for the first and 7:46min/mi (15:33min in duration) for the second. I had to do a 180 turn during the second interval as came to a crossroads where there was some traffic to the schools/factory in the area and with the heavy fog I stopped for a few secs and then turned around and lost a few seconds.
    2.11mi in 20mins @ 9:39min/mi. Total of 8.3miles in 1:12:52

Summers on way D, have no fear, but I hear ya on all the rain. Looks like things
    ticking along nicely, how's the body Holding up.

Summers on way D, have no fear, but I hear ya on all the rain. Looks like things
    ticking along nicely, how's the body Holding up.

Indeed just got to me a bit over the last few weeks with the longer runs, been a bit of a mental battle at times to put myself out doing speed/marathon pace work in it.
    The body is holding up very well actually, touch wood no niggles going into it and this being my third marathon cycle I've never got to this late in the game without something through wear and tear. I did have the calf injury early on from the race in November but that has cleared up with the exercises I was prescribed.

Tralee Marathon 2017 15.2 One week to go...

Friday 10/03/2017

Planned: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), Easy 10min c/d
    Actual: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (2min recovery between each), Easy 10min c/d

6.5miles in 1:06:17

Saturday 11/03/2017

Planned: 30min easy run or rest

Having squashed things a little bit this week with moving my long run to Monday I said I'd take this as a rest day irregardless of how I felt.

Total mileage for the week: 30.8miles

This time next week it will be all over, lovely day today down here so hopefully bodes well for the week ahead. My car showed 16.5C at one stage...I'd like something sub 10 degrees if that can be arranged thanks! Conditions akin to DCM 2016 would be perfect. Clear, still and a small bit of a cooling chill in the air.

• Advertisement

Tralee Marathon 2017 week 16 race ready....

Sunday 12-03-2017

Planned: Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (40min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down; Core and Flexibility Training

Actual: Ran around home, weather was pretty decent from what I can recall. Bit of a headcold going on which would be about right for a taper for me.

Run broke down as follows:
    2.1mi in 20mins @ 9:33min/mi
    4.73 in 40mins @ 8:28min/mi
    2.69 in 25mins @ 9:34min/mi

Monday 13-03-2017

Tuesday 14-03-2017

Planned: 40min easy
    Actual: Squeezed this in under a bit of pressure at lunchtime, 4.35mi in 40min @ 9:12min/mi. Legs were feeling very fresh for this and hard to keep the pace down. Head cold seemed to have passed. Really nice and sunny for this, would have happily ran for a few hours if I could.

Wednesday 15-03-2017

Planned: (Fartlek)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 8x60sec ‘Fast’, 60sec ‘Easy’, Easy 15min cool down
    Actual: As above and got this done at lunchtime as well. With juvenile training yesterday evening between 6-8 I wanted to get it done earlier in the day and in daylight. Could feel the zip in my legs for this and was hitting sub 5K pace on the intervals getting down into the low/mid 6 min mile pace (to date I have never done a 5K with all sub 7min/miles).

Thursday 16-03-2017

Friday 17-03-2017

Total mileage for this training week : 19.5miles.

Training wraps with 408.68 miles over the 16 weeks, due to the calf injury I had in November I lost some mileage over the first 4 weeks but since then it's been pretty much on plan and on pace.
    Unfortunately I did not get to a 10mile or half marathon race during the plan so not 100% where I am on the target front (my expectation that it's been 6 months since I raced a half marathon that I would break my pb of 1:43:42 when I race the distance again, similarly a year since the last 10 miler and the 1:18:52 is possibly a few minutes soft now). I do feel I have pushed on a bit more over the winter and comparing my training with training for Dublin (I was on the same plan) I have increased pace on the faster/pace work (doing my best to keep the easy bits easy).
    The pace groups for the race on Saturday are 3:30, 3:45, 4:00 etc. Starting into training I was expecting to be able to beat my time from Dublin of 3:57:34 and I think barring a bad day that should be the case. The course has been changed to a two lap course which will be a new experience for me but favourable to run an even strategy and my plan for the day (if weather conditions are favourable) is that I will start the race with the 3:45 pacers and stick with them. I am risking a positive split with this strategy but the last 6 weeks work has all been in mind with the goal of 3:45. Saying that if you offered me a 3:4x:xx time now I would be thrilled with it.

Goal A for the day is going with the 3:45 pacers and staying with them throughout. Goal B is sub 3:50, Goal C is to break my pb from DCM 2016 of 3:57:34. If waking up to start the race on Saturday and it's very bad weather I plan to adjust my targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

The very best of luck this weekend diego. You've a seriously consistent block of training behind you for this race. I really hope that you hit you're A goal but as you said, if conditions aren't favorable, you have a very smart B and C goal. Very much looking forward to seeing how it goes for you and reading the report :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great training block, D! Best of luck achieving your goal and really hope conditions are favourable for it!!! Excited to see how you'll do!!! Have a great race. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Neady83 wrote: »
    The very best of luck this weekend diego. You've a seriously consistent block of training behind you for this race. I really hope that you hit you're A goal but as you said, if conditions aren't favorable, you have a very smart B and C goal. Very much looking forward to seeing how it goes for you and reading the report :)

Thanks very much Neady. The block has gone well and barring a few down weeks and silly racing in November I am kinda looking at this at two marathon blocks back to back and seeing how it goes for me.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Great training block, D! Best of luck achieving your goal and really hope conditions are favourable for it!!! Excited to see how you'll do!!! Have a great race. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Thanks A, fingers crossed the weather gods are good and the pacers are as good as the lot Nike plan to use for Breaking 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck on Saturday and hope it all goes well for you.

• Advertisement

Best luck D, hope weather plays ball, have a great race.

Best of luck on Saturday and hope it all goes well for you.
    Best luck D, hope weather plays ball, have a great race.

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

If you are reading this tonight, get to bed already! Best of luck and enjoy it. I bet you'll PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good luck Diego!

Singer wrote: »
    If you are reading this tonight, get to bed already! Best of luck and enjoy it. I bet you'll PB.
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow!
    nop98 wrote: »
    Good luck Diego!

Thanks lads, in less than 24 hours it will be done. Fair wind whipped up here today so hopefully that blows itself out overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck D, have a great race.
    PB all the way!!

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck D, have a great race.
    PB all the way!!

Thanks L!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

The very best of luck today D. No better man to figure out how to adapt to the racing conditions today. Use that training block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck today. Hope the weather is better down there than it is up here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fanbloodytastic, D!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huge congrats:D:D:D

Thanks very much everyone, I may have had the race of my life there. Will do up a full report later but despite conditions looking like cack starting off I went with Goal A of 3:45 (3:44:30 on the pace band), went through halfway with the Pacers and moved ahead of them after 16/17 miles. Slowed a bit through mile 22/23 and they came right back up behind me but managed to get a final push over the last 5K to come home in a gross time of 3:43:49 (net time 3:43:41). Really am so chuffed as it was bloody hard at times (willing myself over the last mile) but once I kept my head my body did what I needed it to do.....genuinely could not have predicted the time but the pace groups are such a huge advantage and protection from the wind. Just can't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Fantastic!! Great result and very well deserved. Congratulations !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Brilliant run D , Congratulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

That's a brilliant result, and well deserved after that block of training. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done Diego! Splendid stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Brilliant, never doubted for a minute that you had that kind of finish in you. Delighted for you - these conditions obviously suit you :) Can't wait for a full run down on the 26.2 miles. Enjoy the well deserved celebrations. That's two cracking training blocks and marathons that you have to show for your hard work.

Brilliant running D, really well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Delighted for you! Enjoy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Super run Diego. Never doubted your ability to think on your feet. Great run all the same and in trying conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done on the massive PB!! Enjoy the recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done D, fantastic result.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Brilliant, never doubted for a minute that you had that kind of finish in you. Delighted for you - these conditions obviously suit you :) Can't wait for a full run down on the 26.2 miles. Enjoy the well deserved celebrations. That's two cracking training blocks and marathons that you have to show for your hard work.

Thank you kindly, I seem to be able to adapt to them alright. I hate bloody heat to be honest. Today I ran in a singlet, same as I did for Dublin and even at that I wish I had the figure to run topless!
    Brilliant running D, really well done.

Thanks G, a car load of Dubs (down for the match I guess) gave me a big cheer at one be stage and was wondered had you made the journey south?
    Singer wrote: »
    Delighted for you! Enjoy it :)

Thanks B, one 12oz steak later now I am pretty good!
    denis b wrote: »
    Super run Diego. Never doubted your ability to think on your feet. Great run all the same and in trying conditions.

Thanks Denis, and I caught your post this morning before I started and it helped focus to remind myself that I might need to adapt.
    Well done on the massive PB!! Enjoy the recovery.

Thanks a mill, will do for sure as I don't want calf issues again like I had after DCM due to doing something silly!
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done D, fantastic result.

Thanks a mill L, just all came together for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Wow D that is some result and well deserved after such solid training well done and enjoy the celebrations. :)

Not me D, must be some of your other fans :D, well deserved cheers none the less.

• Advertisement

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Wow D that is some result and well deserved after such solid training well done and enjoy the celebrations. :)

Thanks a mill A, thrilled with it as I felt I had a 3:4x:xx in me for the day but not what I came home with!
    Not me D, must be some of your other fans :D, well deserved cheers none the less.

Haha thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Massive PB and so well deserved D after another great training schedule. delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Brilliant result. We look forward to the report but put the legs up and get yourself some rest and food first!

Younganne wrote: »
    Massive PB and so well deserved D after another great training schedule. delighted for you.

Thanks Anne, such a great feeling when the training pays off!
    Brilliant result. We look forward to the report but put the legs up and get yourself some rest and food first!

Ta very much hilly, burned off some adrenaline there doing housework early this afternoon so going to take into the report now.

Tralee Marathon 2017 race report

Preamble
    Having got through my training for DCM 2016 relatively unscathed bar a minor calf niggle (right calf) in the last few weeks I was toying with the idea of doing another marathon early in 2017. I liked the idea as I knew it would get me over the winter with some targeted training and hopefully prevent me doing silly things like too many races. I also wanted to see could I manage the training when the simple thing like the lack of daylight hours and milder summer weather (well whatever you call it in Ireland that we generally get in late Summer/Autumn) would likely be a challenge to deal with. My target race was going to be the Tralee marathon, a home marathon where I could train easily enough on the course (even though they changed it after I'd done 3 long runs on it) and could sleep in my own bed the nights before a race. Pat Hooper used to always say that the great thing about the Dublin marathon was that you could sleep in your own bed the night before. Well I wanted that down this end of the country. All in all I said I'd sign up and start into the training, if things went well then the marathon would be great to do so early in the year and if things were not going so well I could drop back to the half marathon. No harm in it really I figured!

Training
    Week 1/day 1 (Nov 27th) instead of doing the prescribed easy 45min run I did a 10 mile road race (Stook 10) and promptly injured my left calf on the flying mile. I was absolutely bunched with it at the time but I was able to do some easy running a few days later. Missed some runs and gave it a week or 2 whilst easing off the training before getting it checked with my physio. Thankfully the introduction of some specific calf exercises sorted out the issue by around week 6/7 of the 16 week plan I was on. And up until early I was doing these 3 times a week, they then eased back to once a week and probably nothing for a month at least now so will start back into them in a week or so when the legs feel right again.

Following that I was able to stick to the plan and completed a 10K race on New Years (new pb of 46:15) and then the Raheny 5 miler at the end of Jan (also a pb of 36:25) so I knew I was getting faster. I had decided that I would fully commit to go for the marathon post Raheny as that would likely mean the calf stuff was well sorted. Unfortunately I was not going to be able to race a 10 miler or half marathon in the run up to the race so I didn't have a real barometer for where I was at for the longer distances. I was following the same Running Shoes Guru training plan as I did for Dublin so I could tell in comparison with intervals and the like I was getting faster and my easy feeling pace was a bit faster this time around (I didn't really bother with using my hrm during training and decided to rank each session out of 10 for effort so least when looking back at my personal training log I could tell how I was feeling for that pace). In the 5 weeks prior to the race I started looking at the pace groups for the day which for me was going to 3:45 or 4:00 or else run on my own. I was encouraged by a few on Strava to go for the 3:45 group so I focused my marathon training pace sessions and the interval work which range from 105-110% of marathon pace. Worst of all for me were the Yasso intervals which require you to run half a mile in your target finish time for the race (3:45 aka 7:30min/mi aka pretty much my 10K pace) but doing these early in the morning is horrible. Saying all that including the long runs (I run up to 2hrs 40/50mins (the plan only has you doing 2hrs 30mins but I add 10-15mins extra easy pace running at the start or the end of the long runs), I was able to hit my target pace. The conditions in the last month or so have been horrendous and I can remember on my second longest training run of 2hr 40mins get really blown out of it and soaked about 30-40mins in. I was chafed to bits and knackered after it but I was able to get it done pretty much on target.
    So coming to race day that left me in two minds which had me quite anxious do I go for the sub 3:45 (felt it was playing with fire a bit) or do I play it safer and go for sub 3:50 (felt I would get this barring a mistake in going out too hard early on). Weather was going to be a key factor for me with this but I wanted to use the pace group.

Targets
    Prepped my final targets in the days before the race and decided I would pick one for certain over the course of the first half with how it was going.

Goal A for the day was sub 3:45 (I had a 3:44:30 pace band on), starting the race with the 3:45 pacers and sticking with them throughout.
    Goal B for the day was sub 3:50 (I had a 3:49:30 pace band underneath Goal A band), planned to start with the 3:45 pacers and do the first lap with them and presumably end up trailing them for much of the second half.
    Goal C for the day was to break my pb of 3:57:34 from DCM 2016 (I had a 3:57 paceband on underneath the other two for this). Any strategy for this was probably going to have to come on the fly have clearly made a mistake going for the 3:45.

Race report
    Arriving to Wetland in Tralee for the start of the race weather was really crap, heavy wind blowing and driving rain. Cursing the weather I was and thinking feck it...training for a 3:45 and thinking I needed perfect conditions and these were not them. Took shelter inside for 20mins before the race having done a very brief warm up of two short 2-3min runs. Debated starting the race in a running jacket but given that was wet already I figured what's the point and it would just annoy me very quickly. With that I went for the same outfit I worn in Dublin (quite fond of Under Armour short for running) and my club singlet. The scarity of material means there's less for the rain to stick too and helps keep me cool. Stuck a bin bag on and out to the start line after saying seeya later to my wife and father who were doing the 5K event that was starting 30mins later.

Bumped into some familiar faces and wished them luck, the wind seemed to have eased a bit and rain back to a drizzle. I knew the first 2.5 miles was the most exposed so I decided go with the 3:45s for that at least and see how the pace feels. I said high to the two pacers in the first mile and introduced myself, one of them I had known from Strava and seeing at local races.

Mile 1
    Here we got another marathon, initial thoughts of why am I doing this again dissipated quickly and focused on the task at hand. The start was not too congested and got into my stride with the first few 100 meters. The half and full races started together so you ran with a mixture of both for the first half of the race. Split 1 was 8:41, bit slower than I wanted with 8:34s the target but I was going to have a long way to run to gain anything lost at the start back.

Mile 2
    Shielded myself as we ran out along the canal but positioning myself towards the back of the pace group. With about 10 people ahead of me I was well covered from the windiest part of the course. Second half of mile 2 is on a gravel track so have to be careful with the footing but as you get out towards the bay you are just holding steady to turn your back to the wind.
    Split of 8:36 here.

Mile 3
    Little bit of drag in this mile as you run along a laneway which had plenty of water each side but was tipping away now. Wasn't checking my watch but just checking the beeps for the miles. 8:20 for this mile so I figured we on target now for the finish time.

Mile 4
    Steepish climb in the mile to the first water station, shortened my stride and baby stepped my way up. The pacers had pulled ahead of me by about 5-10 seconds but I didn't mind that as I knew the next mile was fast and figured I'd hold my effort and catch up to them. Took a bottle of water and a few sips before dispatching it. 8:37 here.

Mile 5
    Fastest part of the course here as you go back in towards the town and through a housing estate. Unfortunately I had to make a brief pit stop here so didn't manage to ease back up towards the pacers but needs must and a number 1 had to be done. 8:10. First gel was taken here and every 5 miles up to 20 when I had my last, four and done seems to be my limit for gels, even changing to Kinetica for this cycle and having three different flavours on board made only a slight difference in being palatable).

Mile 6
    Draggy section going out of town and the pacers were still a bit up the road from me but I just held the pace. Hoped I'd get up nearer to them for mile 7-8 as there was going to be a head wind to deal with there as you head towards the coast again. Another water stop here, can't recall if I took a bottle or not. 8:16 for the split.

Mile 7
    This was going to be another challenge so I pulled up close to the pace group for this mile and the next mile to shield against wind. Not really a fan of this section of the route as it's open to traffic and traffic is traveling fast with an 80kph limit. 8:16 for the split here too.

Mile 8
    Turning off the main road we'd now be into a short sharpish downhill for a few hundred meters before some ups and downs and good climb to come soon. Passing another water station here I took a bottle (kids size bottles) and this time I added half a high 5 zero tab too it and drank most of it over the coming mile. 8:33 for the split.

Mile 9
    We started our climb here that would last for around 3/4 mile. This is the toughest climb of the race but just stuck with the pace group throughout. One of the pacers indicated the target (house just at the top) we were aiming for so I kept my head up and my stride short and dug in. I think I pulled ahead of the pacers here a bit maybe. 8:39 for the mile

Mile 10
    Fast mile here as you're back to where you were at the top of mile 4 and you run down the same hill you climbed there. Just let the legs go and naturally went with the downhill. Could see 7:xx for pace on the watch but wasn't minding that too much as it was only going to be short. 8:26 for the split here.

Mile 11
    Coming back in from Blennerville now with the wind at your back I actually eased off here a good bit and let the pace group catch back up and eventually overtake me. I took my time taking a gel here and did a check on the body. Loosened out the arms. Knew we'd be getting near the starting area now and would hopefully see my wife. 8:45 split.

Mile 12
    Hurtling along now we seemed to be making good pace now, I could overhear the pacers working out their strategy. I think they said they were aiming for an 8:30 mile here. It is fast and flat so sounded right to me, just stuck with them. 8:25 I recorded it as.

Mile 13
    Again turning towards the coast you face the wind a bit again but I was able to pick out the half marathoners around us now as they were starting to push ahead and offered some protection from the wind. 8:10 for the mile here.

Passing through the start/finish line at halfway I didn't note the time on the clock but from what I can tell from my GPS it was 1:51:06 approx.

Saw my wife twice here and she gave me a nice cheer.

Mile 14
    Into where the fun would begin....the second lap, I was happy to date with how things were going and figured I am good for a sub 3:50 here and I would just keep it going at the same pace/effort. Small bit bleary but it's more from the concentration I find and simply running for a few hours. 8:28 for the split here. Got a nice cheer from a clubmate and her kids here (been helping out with the coaching in my club means the kids know my name as well now which is nice).

Mile 15
    Much smaller group this time going out into the wind towards the coast. We were motoring here and I have 8:47 recorded for the split. We passed two guys here, we seemed to blast past them really.

Mile 16
    Weird one here is that I felt a slight ripple in my right calf, was wondering was it the beginning of a cramp. Decided there's not too much I can do about it and just keep going. I had been taking a few salt chews here and there in the hope they'd help keep things nice and hydrated. Passed more club mates in a car here and got another nice cheer. 8:35 for the mile here.

Mile 17
    Last time running up the same climb as mile 4, things were slowing down here and I was dropping back from the pace group like first time around but I knew I wouldn't need a comfort break this time around so said I'd catch up in the next mile. 8:34 split here.

Mile 18
    Riddle me this, not sure why but I made a move. I picked up some pace coming down the hill here to move about 10-15 seconds ahead of the pace group and then locked into the target pace for the drag out of town. 8:28 for the split.

Mile 19
    Motoring along now starting thinking about the 3:45 a little bit, I knew we were something like a minute faster than 3:45 so figured just hit the splits and you'll do it. Passed a few people here, 2/3 that I can recall, 8:36 for the mile here.

Mile 20
    Ideally I should have still been with the pace group for this part as you'd a good chance of a decent bit of wind here but I was maintaining the gap ahead of the group. No particular reason as to why I racing like this but I had keyed into an effort and wanted to hold it. 8:25 for the mile here. I passed through 20 miles in 2:49:49 which was the fastest I'd done 20 miles in ever but a long shot. I started thinking that it's just a good 10K here now and you will get sub 3:45.

Mile 21
    Still trekking away on my own here, passed a few here. One guy who reduced to walking. Coming off the main road again now to the same water station as mile 8. I took a bottle of water here and washed my face here. Had lost a good bit of salt but was okay with it as was taking some on through the high five zero and the salt chews. Calf was holding fine, little ripple now and again but it was fine. 8:52 here. Could see two runners ahead of me that I seemed to be gaining on.

Mile 22
    Undulating up and down here. 8:47 for the mile here. Was doing okay but could feel it a bit now.

Mile 23
    The last tough climb started in the second half of the last mile, another runner stopped just a the foot of the hill...she went to the other side of the road for a sec but just said hi to indicate she was okay. Really had to dig in here now as despite the 3:45s being within ear shot about 20 secs behind me I was on my own. Shortened the stride again and just told myself of the downhill to come after this and give it your best. I knew some time would be lost but I couldn't exactly push it as was afraid the body would scream too much. 8:35 for the mile here. Just as I came to the top of the climb here one of the pacers shouted out to me go on D keep her lit. My head was just starting to drop and it gave me the last bit of effort to get up the hill.

Mile 24
    Body really starting to feel it now, couldn't really make any gains on the downhill and just jogged down it my best. 8:41 and I was starting to drop a bit. I could hear the pace group gaining ground on me and they were right up behind me now. I just set in my mind now to just stay ahead of them if I could, a fella pulled up beside me and started to talk to me. To be honest he was wrecking my head and I was only fit to give one word answers. Not being impolite here as best I can but I don't to talk when racing and at this stage of a race I can't.

Mile 25
    Final kick for home, I left my chatting buddy behind me. Another fella from the pace group pulled ahead of me and was gone about 20 seconds down the road. I was doing okay here now just going my best, 8:23 was the split here. I can't recall noted this on my watch at the time but I had moved ahead of the pace group again. Got a great cheer from some clubmates here again at the Rose Hotel. Going past the final mile marker here, I never mentioned but they were very sparse throughout and way off, I could hear the pacers say to the guys behind me that they knew from the last time around it was exactly 1 mile to the finish from there and that a 9minute mile would give you a sub 1:45. I knew I had that left in me so just gave it my best.

Mile 26 and to the finish
    Final turn for home now, 8:24 was the split I recorded here so I was going faster than I felt I was legs. I just started thinking 8 mins, then 4 mins to go. I had two guys ahead of me but figured I wouldn't catch either.
    As we crossed the road one dittered and I passed him by. Making the turn into the wetlands the last tall guy who had passed me early in mile 25 was a few seconds ahead and seemed to have someone running with him. I could see the finish line now with low 3:43:xx on it so I focused on the tall lad and gave it one last push over the last 20 meters and finished 1 second ahead of him.

Crossing the line I literally dropped onto my wife (I am 5'10 and she is 4'11) and held on for about 10 seconds. My legs were screaming but the job was done and I just couldn't believe it.

Chip time was 3:43:41, taking almost 14 minutes off my time from DCM 2016. Genuinely staggered to have pulled that time out of the bag.

Met a few people I knew after the race and chatted briefly but I just wanted to head for home. Legs were bunched but I was just so elated. Home then to spend time with my family and out for a nice meal last night.

First half/second half (estimated from GPS maps as did not note it at the time)
    1:51:06/1:52:35

Gross time/Net time
    3:43:49/3:43:41

Position 51/203 (16th MS, 44th M)

Strava link

• Advertisement
Advertisement