Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Yes, all signed up. Gill signed me up for Birthday present, signed up for Charlaville as well.

Nice present that and good stuff on Charleville, plans are coming together nicely!

Friday 26-05-2017

Day 26 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below)

45min easy after work, 5 miles @ 9:03min/mi. Pretty toasty this evening doing this.

Saturday 26-05-2017

Day 27 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below)

30min tempo run (half marathon effort), 3.7 miles @ 8:06min/mi. Got a right soaking on this one, anyways job done. Didn't have time for much longer but ideally would have started with some easy running before the tempo bits but just went straight into it.

Wraps the week with with a total of 22 miles across a decent mix of pace and surfaces.

Sunday 27-05-2017

Day 28 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below)

Late night at a wedding in Mullingar last night so as away without our daughter took the lie in instead of going for a run before checking out. Excellent day/night at the wedding catching up with friends from home.

Back to Kerry around half 7 this evening and got the unpacking done (bad or good habit of mine depending on how you look at it but generally unpack straight away as soon as I get home.

Watched the Indy 500 or more so last third of it and then went for a run just after 9pm. 40min easy, 4.3miles @ 9:24min/mi. Battle vs the midges going out that late, not sure who won as I certainly consumed a few and they had a nibble at me. Anyhoo protein on the fly...

Monday 29-05-2017

Day 29 of the 30 day challenge (completed as part of the run below....wohoo one day left and not missed a day yet)

Brick session this evening.
    30 min cycle, 7.56mi @ 14.9mph
    30 min run, 3.3mi @ 9:07min/mi

Tuesday 30-05-2017

Day 30 of the 30 day Kinetic Revolution challenge completed, pretty happy to get done on schedule.

30min easy, 3.2miles @ 9:21min/mi

Wednesday 31-05-2017

40min easy, 4.4miles @ 9:24min/mi during my lunch break.
    Fairly scorchio out there.

Thursday 01-06-2017

Nothing (as planned)

Friday 02-06-2017

Double nothing (50/50 on the planning).
    Had been up to Dublin for work for Thursday and Friday so said I'd play it by ear when I got back home. With family coming down to visit on Saturday I went with the non running option and some housework instead.

Saturday 03-06-2017

60min easy run, 6.4miles @ 9:24min/mi.
    Really enjoyed this run and took in a hilly route some had some ups and downs. Ran from home to the inlet/pier/cliffs about 2.5 miles away and found a few new laneways around there to build up some of the distance and get a better view of the cliffs.

Total running mileage for the week: 21.6 miles

Sunday 04-06-2017

Tralee junior parkrun with my daughter, she's getting better with pacing on this and did her longest continuous run on the second lap. Probably about 250-300 meters. She was spurred on by a few to try pass out and that she did. Came home in just over 17:01 (she was given a time 30 seconds slower in the results but no matter). Very easy 1.2miles jogging for me.

Brick session
    20.5K cycle in 54:24
    40min run (4.5miles @ 8:52min/mi)

Monday 05-06-2017

My club's annual Open Sports event for the kids in the area. Good fun was had and some fine running from the kids in the club and others from the surrounding area. Got to take part in a family relay run with my wife, daughter and temporally adopted daughter of the head coach in the club. We went in the order of my daughter first, coach's daughter second, my wife and then me to finish. Figured we'd probably be last out of the 6 teams so I didn't mind to be taking it home to finish if that was the case.
    So funny watching them lineup at the start and our little 5 year old lining up for her leg beside parents and bigger kids but she gave it her best and got the baton handed over well. Coach's daughter did very well and got a place back for us and we held that then to finish second last or 5th shall we say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Best of luck in DAR this weekend Diego :) Looking forward to the report already. Hope it all goes to plan and that's it's an enjoyable race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

^^^Is that this weekend? +1 to the good luck wishes! have a blast and most importantly... ENJOY :D

Neady83 wrote: »
    Best of luck in DAR this weekend Diego :) Looking forward to the report already. Hope it all goes to plan and that's it's an enjoyable race.
    ^^^Is that this weekend? +1 to the good luck wishes! have a blast and most importantly... ENJOY :D

Thanks very much, been a bit off form this week with some stomach issues so hoping that's cleared by the weekend. Seems likely the kayaking section of the event might be cancelled due to the wind, think we'll know today or tomorrow at the latest. Not sure what it means (in real feel terms but guess it's down to danger) but if it's Force 5 the kayaking is off....currently forecasted F7/F8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck D, enjoy the occasion, its only wind be brave :D

diego_b wrote: »
    Thanks very much, been a bit off form this week with some stomach issues so hoping that's cleared by the weekend. Seems likely the kayaking section of the event might be cancelled due to the wind, think we'll know today or tomorrow at the latest. Not sure what it means (in real feel terms but guess it's down to danger) but if it's Force 5 the kayaking is off....currently forecasted F7/F8.

Saw that on FB, looks like they preparing people for it being cancelled. I can tell you from experience that kayaking in Force anything doesn't end well so they'll be making a good call :D Makes it a different race without the kayak but still fun :)

Saw that on FB, looks like they preparing people for it being cancelled. I can tell you from experience that kayaking in Force anything doesn't end well so they'll be making a good call :D Makes it a different race without the kayak but still fun :)

Yup it reads like that, what can you do really. They are very experienced at this stage so no doubt will make the right call. Funny enough I thought I had some kayaking training lined up last Sunday but didn't go ahead due to the wind. It's been like that at the moment down here.

Best Luck D, enjoy the occasion, its only wind be brave :D

Thanks G, haha will do!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 06-06-2017

45min, 5miles @ 9:08min/mi.
    Wasn't feeling the best since morning due to stomach cramps and etc etc that goes with that. Wanted to do a run as scheduled, said I'd play it by ear and just did an out and back run. Managed it fine but the simple action of running didn't help the guts much!

Wednesday 07-06-2017

Not eating much today, second day in a row without dinner as couldn't hack it knowing the likely outcome. Juvenile training cancelled tonight due to weather, I had cancelled my assistant coaching duties as was not up to it really with how I was feeling and if the cramps (which were still coming now and again returned). Great prep in a race week this!!

Thursday 08-06-2017

Managed a bit more eating today, pasta for dinner was progress...and no side effects.
    Said I'd give the treadmill a go, did 5K in 34mins and no side effects too so happier now.
    Hopefully have put that behind me now, used to get this kinda thing maybe 4 years ago before losing the weight and used to put it down to food poisoning. After two bouts in a few months (incl a New Year's Eve in bed) I was referred for a colonoscopy in case of ITB or Crohns but not the case. Guess sometimes something disagrees with me!

Anyways I am sure I'll be grand for Saturday, not too concerned with times for the event as no point of reference for it really but looking forward to giving it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow D, enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Enjoy the race tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Best of luck

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow D, enjoy!
    Enjoy the race tomorrow!
    jk23 wrote: »
    Best of luck

Thank you all kindly!

Kayaking is off so tis just running 1K to the bike, cycling for 20K, running up Mount Eagle and back down again (around 7.5K), cycle for 11.5K and then another 1K run to finish....be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Thank you all kindly!

Kayaking is off so tis just running 1K to the bike, cycling for 20K, running up Mount Eagle and back down again (around 7.5K), cycle for 11.5K and then another 1K run to finish....be grand.

Is that all?? No bother to ya! :D

Dingle Adventure Race (DAR Sport) report
    aka Blood, Sweat but no Tears

So my first adventure race, had been looking forward to it as been focused on it over the last 6 weeks or so (with some trail running and 4/5 brick sessions). Not really a significant amount of time to do a proper training cycle for it but was happy enough with it for what was on the cards for the day baring the mountain run and I was right enough about that as it turned out!

Arrived in Dingle around 7:30 and got registration sorted, met some friends and clubmates from my club who were competing as well.

My wave (3) was due to start at 9:30, we had been asked to have our bikes in the transition around before 8:50 so had plenty of time to get that done. College friend of mine was taking part so we tipped down with our bikes together and walked back catching up a bit. Atmosphere was building up nicely around the start area and we watched the Full competitors take off at 9am. Michael O Muircheartaigh was doing a bit of mc work which was nice, each wave got a different yarn before they started.

After a short delay (I think they were allowing each wave to clear transition) before we started at 9:40am. Conditions were not too bad, bit of a wind whipping around and they warned up we'd get it a few times on the bike legs and to be careful.

Run 1
    Ran down at a decent pace to the transition and got my bike, dipped my timer on the wave out as instructed and given a time of 00:04:24 (joint 30th fastest overall for that leg). The distance to run was less than a K and I averaged 4:25km pace for it. Cross the road and onto the bike and away we go.

Cycle 1
    For this cycle we'd be doing the same route as we run for the Dingle Half marathon and I got to cycle it a few months back in a cycling event so fairly used to it. I gained a few places and lost a few places throughout so not really sure how I was going at that stage. We got caught to dismount at the exact same place as we did in the cycle a few months back as the win was simply too much, it's weird really as it's only for just for about 100 meters but anyways dismounted and ran alongside the bike. I figured for the planned 20K here it would take me around 55 mins based on training and not to burn my legs up. The distance was actually almost 21K as once we got to Dunquin we had take a sharp right and then get up a seriously step segment. Everyone around me dismounted for a few mins and ran alongside the bike (as suggested in the briefing at the start). Dropped my bike at the rack and dippped my timer, 00:59:10 (176th).

The fun begins....run up Mt. Eagle
    This was the going to be tough as just not used to this sort of thing, as it turned out it was glorified hike in regards the pace we could travel at. Some parts were really steep and some parts eased so could make up some time and run those parts. Conditions were tough enough with a heavy wind as we got up higher and pretty foggy but all felt safe to be honest and marshals were frequent. Seeing the lads and ladies flying down hill was something else, the pace they could travel at was very impressive. I was hoping to gain some time back myself, thinking maybe I could get up the mountain (3.75K) in 30 minutes...in reality it was a lot slower than that I reached the top and dipped my timer to get a time 00:38:14 (133rd fastest and pretty pleased with that). The marshal up there said well done to us but I took a second to say fairplay to him and give him a pat on the arm, it was really exposed at the top and he was going to be up there a few hours. Nice guy for the brief exchange we had.

Run down Mt. Eagle
    Started off a good pace running down the boggy land, checking my GPS I was hitting low 4:xx K pace, felt I was in control enough as with boggy land it was grand as while you sank a bit with each foot you couldn't fall. Then we got onto the trail again properly again after about 3-4mins and with that down I went and scraped the underside of my right forearm along the gravel. Got up quickly with the assistance of another fella who was coming up. Said I was fine and away I went. Could feel the sting on my arm and looked down to see a nice bit of blood from at least 3 cuts. Feck it says I..figured I am going to have to slow down a bit now or else risk falling again. Also had a debate for about 2 minutes whilst running figured I would have to stop and get acquainted with my first aid kit. Bit the bullet and stopped, all in all it maybe 4 minutes to do a quick patch work job....tried a plaster but no joy with getting it to stick. Ended up with some gauze and tape...that lasted about 15mins before getting removed by the wind. Back running but taking it easier as really wasn't comfortable with the downhill stuff at all. With about half a K to go I had another slip but that was minor and simply bounced off my arse and back up again into my stride. I am no John Lenihan when it comes to mountain running and was glad to be down - 00:31:20 (375th terrible position for that leg). If doing the event again in future I am really going to have to practice down hill (and not roads) running.

Cycle 2
    Back onto the bike now and with a bloodied arm and a wet ass from the second fall I had some venting to do so gave it a good blast all the way back to Dingle. Hit a top speed of almost 54kph on one of the downhills and passed around people in the 11.5K. Back to the drop off point for the bike and dipped my timer before the start of the final run to get 00:31:34 (163rd).

Final run
    Passed two people on this last stretch back to start/finish line. 00:04:09 (76th) for this final leg.

Final position 219/476
    Total time 02:48:51

Afterwards I caught up with the few others I knew doing the event and eveyone seemed to enjoy the challenge. It's been nice to do something different for the last month and a bit but looking forward to get back road running proper (I really love tarmac!!) and building up my mileage. All roads to DCM 2017 now!

Breakdown
    Start to Bike transition - 00:04:24 (30th fastest)
    Cycle 1 - 00:59:10 (176th)
    Run up Mt. Eagle - 00:38:14 (133rd)
    Run down Mt. Eagle - 00:31:20 (375th)
    Cycle 2 - 00:31:34 (163rd)
    Run from bike to finish - 00:04:09 (76th)

Such a shame the kayak was cancelled as it ads a whole different element to the race but well done on your first AR! +1 to the hiking up the hills, it definitely takes some practice both up and down as drastically different than a hilly road race. Sounds like you prefer the road running though D? You wouldn't try another one?

Such a shame the kayak was cancelled as it ads a whole different element to the race but well done on your first AR! +1 to the hiking up the hills, it definitely takes some practice both up and down as drastically different than a hilly road race. Sounds like you prefer the road running though D? You wouldn't try another one?

Yeah it was a pity as was looking forward to trying that aspect but they def made the right call as the wind was not a runner for it.
    I did enjoy it alright AM but I just felt very slow on the trails and found it unnerving on the way down (steeper in spots that I was used too)...even before falling. Never the most confident on unstable footing...tried ice skating once and was clinging to the side for an hour and will never do skiing.
    Expect I will do the event again next year as I enjoyed it and it's realitively local and cheap for such an event.

Great report Diego and delighted to hear you'll be back to more :). Sh**e luck with the fall but thankfully no lasting damage. Sounds like a great course, I don't think I've ever been up Mt. Eagle.

How did you fuel for the race? Were you eating on the bike?

Great report Diego and delighted to hear you'll be back to more :). Sh**e luck with the fall but thankfully no lasting damage. Sounds like a great course, I don't think I've ever been up Mt. Eagle.

How did you fuel for the race? Were you eating on the bike?

Thanks Neady, pretty happy with the first 6 months of the year so thinking similar for next year maybe so it might slot in nicely again between training plans for road racing.

Fuel wise I had my normal overnight oats about 6:30 before leaving home. On the first cycle I was planning on eating some of my Gilly bar (homemade flapjacks from David Gillick's book) but at the stage I was going to do it it was too windy so I took the bar with me on the hike and managed about a third of it but just didn't feel like it. Even with water I had a pure dry mouth so just left it. In hindsight a banana just before the start of the race might have been an idea (have done that with half marathons with a similar early start leaving home) but I didn't feel low on fuel.

The Full event goes over Mt. Brandon, not been up that yet myself...not planning to try run it on my debut up there!

Sunday 11-06-2017

Nothing, pretty tired most of the day but it was a productive day as was in watching my daughter at the junior parkrun and a small bit of shopping for a few hours after that before couch surfing for the evening.

Monday 12-06-2017

Bit stiff since the race on Sunday, hips and backside feeling it a small bit but back on the road this morning. Just the 40 min easy run before work, 4.4 miles @ 9:10min/mi. Suspect it will be easy running only this week, stag party next weekend up around Lough Key so planning to try get some meandering on the roads done up there if I can.

stag party next weekend up around Lough Key so planning to try get some meandering on the roads done up there if I can.

Will you make the parkrun there on Saturday morning? It's gorgeous, especially the post run coffee/scone sitting on the terrace overlooking the lake afterwards :)

Will you make the parkrun there on Saturday morning? It's gorgeous, especially the post run coffee/scone sitting on the terrace overlooking the lake afterwards :)

Ooh now that's an idea, I must find out some plans from the organizer as when we need to be and where (going up Friday afternoon/evening anyways. Parkrun sounds nice, there is some activities planned for the Saturday (Boda Borg!?!) but fingers crossed that's not till afternoon time...update it's 2pm so planning to make that parkrun. Not sure where we're staying yet but hopefully it's near enough to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done on DAR! Especially the mountain....

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on DAR! Especially the mountain....

Thank very much, they have announced next years date of 9th June so have added it to my diary...maybe full event next year.

Thank very much, they have announced next years date of 9th June so have added it to my diary... maybe definitely doing the full event next year.

Fixed your post :)

Fixed your post :)

Haha thanks!

Tuesday 13-06-2017

55min steady, 6.2miles @ 9min/mi. Took in a newish route near home. Very warm evening so even though the pace wasn't that fast it felt more a steady than easy effort.

Wednesday 14-06-2017

Nothing

Thursday 15-06-2017

45min easy, 5miles @ 9:11min/mi.

Friday 16-06-2017

Nothing, just the 4.5 hours in the car from Kerry to Lough Key in Roscommon for the stag party.

Saturday 17-06-2017

Lough Key parkrun
    Got to bed around 3/3:30 on Friday night so wasn't so sure about making this but it looked to be about 10-15 minute drive from where we were staying so set my alarm for 8:20 and said I'd see then. Woke up around 8ish and waiting for the alarm to go off and said right feck it we'll give it a go....all my housemates for the night(s) were fast asleep....and still in bed when I got back 2 hours later.

Did a warm up of sorts, pretty short 8 minute run (0.8 of a mile).

Fast start into the run, was a bit boxed in behind a group for the first mile or so, seemed to be targeting 25min from the sounds of things but couldn't really pass. There was a lady with a dog, tbh the path was very tight as she was trying to pass people (and groups of people) on a woods trail/path that probably could fit 2/3 people at most across so was glad to get clear of all that when space opened up. Only gained 1 position in the second half of the run but kept the effort constant throughout....uugh effort.

Finishing time was 23:14 (20th place) which is a minute a bit slower than my parkrun pb....kinda thought I'd get down into the low 22s but being honest I was pretty tired and the route was nicely challenging with some ups and downs on the trails. Reminded me of some aspects of the Lakes of Killarney half marathon that I did in May around the national park near Ross Castle.

Hope to be back again in future, I think I've soft course PB to break there.
    Ta for the tip on that AGYR, as I think I would have missed it otherwise.

Weekly total: 19.4 (need to start doing better on this score)

When I got back to the house one of the lads had an inflatable kayak so we took that out on the lake for a bit, good fun that....wouldn't go near the sea with it though but nice for a lake.
    Highly recommend Boda Borg in Lough Key which we did in the afternoon. Think Crystal Maze without the crystals (and the dome) and all of your team in the room together trying to figure out what to do.

Sunday 18-06-2017

Back home to Kerrry.

Monday 19-06-2017

45min easy, 5miles @ 9:02min/mi.
    Pretty scorchio doing this run at home after work, didn't have time to stay out longer as needed to be back for my wife to go to her training. She's doing well at the moment getting out a few times a week and did a tough 10K race on Saturday.

Tuesday 20-06-2017

Haven't been to club training in a while so said I'd pop along to the last session in the field before it goes road based for the next few months. We did some laps to warm up (the full field is kinda L shaped and about 800 meters). Then some dynamic stretches. Into intervals then, first set was 3x1 minute fast with 30 second recoveries, second set was the same, third set was by request (not from me) changed to 30 sec fast with 1 minute recoveries.
    In total we ran about 3.1miles exactly, pace avg @ 8:55min/mi but it seems I hit 5:33min/mi at one stage during an interval....no wonder some of them felt fairly uugh.
    A lap to cool down then and that was that.

Wednesday 21-06-2017

Last night of juvenile coaching before the summer break, good fun was had.
    After that I went to Banna and did a 45 minute easy run on the beach. First run on the beach in a few months. 4.6 miles @ 9:45min/mi. A few people on the beach but cool having nearly an entire beach to yourself. Probably a few more than we got engaged here on New Years Eve in 2008 (I thought the place would be empty that day but still people around walking!). Funny now living relatively close to the place where we got engaged, still makes me smile at least thinking of it.

Also bought a wetsuit....I would like to start doing some sea swimming.
    Sure have the runners, have the bike...maybe next year.

Also bought a wetsuit....I would like to start doing some sea swimming.
    Sure have the runners, have the bike...maybe next year.

It's getting kinda dark over here ;)

It's getting kinda dark over here ;)

I'd like a balance of a few things going on really! Kinda like the idea of trying out different events be it pure running (DCM 2017 going to keep me busy for the next while but some cross training could fit in) or else a bit of multi sports event.

I'd like a balance of a few things going on really! Kinda like the idea of trying out different events be it pure running (DCM 2017 going to keep me busy for the next while but some cross training could fit in) or else a bit of multi sports event.

I'm only kidding but I hear ya, it's enjoyable to mix it up. I'm not sure that I quite fit over in the dark side but I'm not doing enough running to be over here either :)

I'm only kidding but I hear ya, it's enjoyable to mix it up. I'm not sure that I quite fit over in the dark side but I'm not doing enough running to be over here either :)

Haha no worries, I knew you were but said I'd try explain myself! I fancy maybe trying (and probably hating) some cross country this year. The time of year is not great for DCM training but might try get in a few of the runs down here in Sept/Oct. Masters ftw!!

• Advertisement

Haha no worries, I knew you were but said I'd try explain myself! I fancy maybe trying (and probably hating) some cross country this year. The time of year is not great for DCM training but might try get in a few of the runs down here in Sept/Oct. Masters ftw!!

I'm not entirely sure you have explained yourself D!! It's a slippery wet slide to the darksise, next thing you'll be buying a pair of budgie smugglers:D

Ha! you're kidding right? You do more running than most on top of everything else, you'd be most welcome over here - see how the bike and or swimming is creeping into lots of logs here recently :D Never understood why the forum was separated so much TBH we all have stuff we can learn from each other :).

D definitely try the XC!!!

I'm not entirely sure you have explained yourself D!! It's a slippery wet slide to the darksise, next thing you'll be buying a pair of budgie smugglers:D

How's the cycling going G :D I see Murph, Ferris and FBOT did an aquathlon last weekend :pac:

How's the cycling going G :D I see Murph, Ferris and FBOT did an aquathlon last weekend :pac:

They were only bathing their old tired legs after a hard training session nothing to see here.. :) haven't done much last while cycling but will get back to it over summer to help out with recovery days.

Haha I am 100% certain that won't happen!!

Thursday 22-06-2017

Nothing

Friday 23-06-2017

60min easy, 6.6miles @9:05min/mi.
    Felt like I could run a lot longer but was thinking about heading into town for the parkrun in the morning.

Saturday 24-06-2017

Tralee parkrun, did this as a progression run of sort...had an idea of the first lap at 9 mins, second at 8 mins and third lap as fast as my little legs would carry me. Tried to use the 27 min pacer for this but after a few hundred meters when the crowd had opened up he was running alongside the very good 25 min pacer so just decided to hold the pace I was at and even dropped back bit. Felt pretty comfortable at this and then at the end of the second lap I started to move up a bit and passed the 25 min pacer.
    For the last half a K or so I opened it up and pushed on for a good strong finish passing a few, I had heard someone come up close behind me but said with this finishing time/position I should be able to hold the position so gave a good push for the last 100-200 meters through the line. Enjoyed the run and like always went away thinking I should incorporate parkrun into my training more.
    Position 30th overall with a time of 23:46.
    Mile splits of 8:11, 8:06 and 7:27 for the 3 laps.

Did 0.65 of a mile to warm up and cooldown so that's 4.4 miles for the day bringing the weekly total to 23.7 miles.

Local 5/10K race on tomorrow that I intend to race, not decided what distance but not expecting a pb in either as the pace is simply not there at the moment.
    It's two laps for the 10K which is a bit annoying but more inclined to do the longer race.

• Advertisement

Catchup on the log

Sunday 25-06-2017

Kilmoyley 10K race report

This is my third year attending this local event and kinda a fixture on the calendar now. The last two years I have ran the 5K on the car with my daughter in the buggy but this year she's long gone from that. Unfortunately was wife was sick all week with an infection so said she wouldn't run herself but would walk it with my parents who were down for the weekend and our little lady could cycle it. It's a bike friendly event for the proper little ones.
    In my case then it meant I could actually race it myself, was debating over the 5K or 10K but said I'd give the 10K a go as I was well enough familiar with the course and the drag in the first half of it and felt I'd lose out more at 5K effort than I would at 10K effort (even though I'd have run the same lap twice) if trying for a pb which one is want to do on such occasion.

Anyways lined up about 3 rows back from the front and we were off, passed a few in the first few 100 meters but after that it was bedding down for the first lap. Had changed my watch into KMs and had a target of 4:36 per KM to aim for 46 flat. 46:02 being my pb from the Great Ireland Run.

First lap of the race, steady enough here and hard to tell who was a 5K or 10K person on the day but passed a few over the first lap. Bit of a climb half way through the first lap but hoping it wouldn't sting too much second time around.

First lap, splits of 4:24, 4:36, 4:27, 4:36, 4:44
    22:47 for the first 5KM

Second lap, into the business end, was on pace to go sub 46 for the first time so just said hold it as best as I could.

It was tough going over the last few km but expected that and felt I'd held the pace well enough, looking back I lost too much time on the climb in the 7th K but should have been a bit faster after that but hadn't much left in the tank and just pushed my best.

Splits of 4:36, 4:54, 4:34, 4:42, 4:29
    23:15 for the second 5KM

When was racing towards the line I could see 45:57,8,9 on the clock and I crossed with it just gone to 46:0x I thought. I didn't know till later that 46:02 was the time I was given (race was timed by hand), I was 10th overall, 8th male.
    Tbh not too disappointed with that as said to my wife I think outside of maybe a 10 mile or half marathon pbs are not on a cards at the moment as not been doing any pace work and mileage isn't high enough. Equalling my pb was not a bad showing but even another second faster would have been nice.
    I did think though at 9K I had it and I really gave it my level best over the last K (passing my wife, daughter and mother as they had about 300 meters left to go on their walk), my daughter tried to chase me on the bike with her little legs going like 90...pretty funny to see but she wasn't getting near me. I did have to go wide around few people here and there over the last K to pass people so might have saved a few seconds if I didn't have to do that but anyways, confident I can break it another day but looking at the plan as it is for the rest of the year it might have to wait until New Years Day next year!

Incl warmup, total mileage was 6.8 miles

Monday 26-06-2017

Nothing

Tuesday 27-06-2017

Run with some clubmates in the evening time over around Banna.
    3.1 miles in 29 mins or so, 9:16 min/mi. Was happy enough to leave it at that as my legs (specifically hip flexors) were very tired post the race on Sunday.

Wednesday 28-06-2017

45 min easy, 4.8 miles @ 9:20 min/mi.
    Lunchtime run during work hours, sopping wet after this one and it wasn't raining. Odd kinda weather at the moment but guess humidity must be high enough. Legs all good again though.

Later that evening I took my new wetsuit for a brief outing in the sea, wetsuit works as expecting in that you do not get cold but yet you do get wet (that was my something new I learned that day). My swimming needs an awful lot of work, think it's mainly my breathing which I seem to be able to do about 10-12 strokes, getting a few breaths in and then have to stop. Anyways not really a surprise but might look to get some lessons if I can fit them into life in general.

Thursday 29-06-2017

75 min cycle, 17.4 miles/28 K
    Not been on the bike (aka marathon cross trainer) since Dingle Adventure race so wanted to get a decent spin in. Took in a few villages in a loop which had some of the coast and some nasty wind for about a 20 min stretch (destroyed my avg pace which was 13.9 mph over all).

Friday 30-06-2017

50 mins easy, 5.5 miles @ 9:11 min/mi.
    After 8pm getting out to do this so late enough start but peaceful evening and nice one for it.

Saturday 01-07-2017

Listowel parkrun

These event is into it's 11th week now and I haven't managed to get over to it yet to date (had a near miss last weekend but had to go Tralee direction as had to pick up something afterwards). Anyways, arrived a little bit later than planned and just time for 0.6 of a mile to run around some of the course in reverse and catch some of the briefing. No real target for the day but knowing the park from previous non parkrun events there I know it's got a good climb in the first half of the lap so not really a pb course. In my mind I said maybe I'd try sustain a half marathon approx (8min/mi ish) pace around for the 3 laps and managed to hold that steady enough to come home 10th (2nd in my age cat with 23:55).
    Comfortable enough run, passing a few at ease over the second half of the run and found it a good session with the hills. Could see myself doing this course again for training purposes as it's tougher than Tralee which is relatively flat.

Incl warmup and cooldown: 4.3 miles

Total mileage for the week: 24.5 miles

And to start a new week (last week before DCM 2017 training plan starts)

Sunday 02-07-2017

Woke up way too early at 5am, dosing for about 30 mins before checking out the goings on in Belfast. Some going there A!

AM
    Tralee junior parkrun with my daughter, huge pb for her today taking over a minute off her previous best. Dunno where it came from to be honest but she seems to have grown a few cms over the last month or so and was able to run for longer and faster today. We celebrated her great run with pancakes afterwards! And we picked up her first pair of boots for camogie.
    1.2 miles there in total as I ran around with her.

PM
    60 minutes easy, 6.6 miles @ 9:06 min/mi
    After busy morning with my daughter I went for a 20 min nap before starting this run in the mid afternoon. After about 40 minutes I was feeling very much into the run and thinking that over the next few months going to be upped the mileage a good bit but all systems go for that.

Glad to see I'm not the only one napping :D well done on the 10k, hand timed though so possibly a pb in chip timed event...

I can recommend swim coaching, it's amazing the difference when you go from doing something wrong to right can make almost immediately.

Glad to see I'm not the only one napping :D well done on the 10k, hand timed though so possibly a pb in chip timed event...

I can recommend swim coaching, it's amazing the difference when you go from doing something wrong to right can make almost immediately.

Haha indeed I had one on Saturday as well in the afternoon too, just the 20 mins. Indeed I do think it's a sign of getting older but feck it, I def use it sometimes before going for a long drive or a hard training session!

Cool, when I was a kid I kinda self taught on holidays (we used to go to Wexford a lot as being from Laois I couldn't have been further from the sea) and got lessons after that. Def will try get something sorted before end of the year, guess with the wetsuit can swim some of the cooler months! Good luck with your one too!

Monday 03-07-2017

Rest day

Tuesday 04-07-2017

50min easy, 5.4miles @ 9:16min/mi.
    Evening run this, nice cool evening for it....picked a route with a few decent hills.

Wednesday 05-07-2017

30min easy, 3.3miles @ 9:08min/mi.
    Ran this before work, just took in the regular 3 mile loop near where I live and patched on a bit at the end. Very handy pace.
    Drove up to Laois after work then with work in Dublin on Thursday & Friday.

Thursday 06-07-2017

Docklands 5K

Early start to my day to travel up from Laois for work and then a busy day of course. In my laziness I drove over towards the start area and got a parking spot around 6:30 just outside the Clayton Hotel area....very handy.

Warm up 1 (about 50mins before the start), 1.25mile @ 12:42min/mi. Ran this over the first/last mile of the course. Noted the bit of wind that we'd probably get a bit of coming back from the Point. Some dynamic stretches.

Warm up 2 (about 25mins before the start), 0.65mile @ 10:54min/mi. Some more easy jogging with strides.

Into the starting pen now and I lined up towards the front of the 25min group, spotted Wubble Wubble and Singer in the sub 20 pen so I ducked in for a min to wish them both the best. Met a friend from college then (chap I did the Dingle Adventure Race with) and he was in the sub 20 pen too. Carrying a knee niggle from Astro he wasn't expecting anything too fast, myself I said to my mate that I was sure it wasn't going to be a pb run but all going well I'd be sub 22 (pb is 21:41 from the Kerry Road Championships that I did a week after the Tralee marathon, not gone sub 22 since!).

So we were off, first K felt good and not too much weaving. Glanced down at the watch before we turned over the Liffey and could see 4:18 pace...pretty happy with that and just said see if I could hold it. Paced a few people here who I guess started in the sub 20 people pen but should have been a bit further back. First K, 4:18 (going on my watch, as missed all the markers during the race).

Second K, holding the pace still and whilst it is flat I do find the tiniest bit of a drag in this section. 4:15 for this K and then I started to think is there an unlikely pb on here. Was feeling the effort but thought I could hold the pace.

Third K, come on the point....just waiting for the turnaround now. Spotted the leaders coming down the other side. Oh to be that fast. Around the bollards and then to try drive on a bit more. Had a big fella in front of me here so that shielding the wind a bit. Effort was feeling tough now and felt I was slowing a bit. 4:31.

Fourth K, damn 5Ks, I hate 5Ks...if this was a half marathon I'd be getting an hour plus at comfort before the pain comes in....with a 5K be doing well to get 10 minutes before the hurt comes. Good crowd support here but the legs would not go faster. I knew any brief notions of a pb were gone with the pace dropping into the 4:30s. Figure just hold where you're at and hopefully a sub 22 and my second fastest 5K time. 4:36 for the K here.

Fifth K, this run back up the quays seems long....just moving as fast as I could now. Going through the 600 meters to go mark I tried to do some maths to guess a finish time but head wouldn't compute beyond just run.
    Could see the finish gantry way up ahead and just kept the push going now, hard as I could....yurning, gurning, huffing and puffing. Could see the high 21s on the clock. Tried to push but nothing there, crossed the line with 22:1x on the clock. 4:23 for the final K.

Chip time for the race was 22:12.

Took a few off to the side here after this leaned on a fence, was proper fecked.
    After that I wandered back and met WW, Singer...well done again lads. Also bumped into Testosterscone and said hi for a sec.
    Met my mate from college and despite the knee knack came home in 20:41. His girlfriend was also running and she got a pb...sub 25 I think.

Small bit disappointed not to have gone at least sub 22 as have had parkruns on bumpier courses with faster times but guess you can only go as fast as you can on a given day. I haven't been training for this race specifically but thought with the nature of the course I would be a bit quicker. Anyways excellent event in fairness too it and nice size crowd for a city race, with being in the goldilocks zone for not being congested really. Hopefully be back again next year.

Total distance incl warmup 5.5 miles

Friday 07-07-2017

Rest day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done, D, and thanks for supporting the Cru race!

• Advertisement
Advertisement