Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

annapr wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow D... are you racing it or training run?? Loved your description of the Dingle Half, definitely on my bucket list.

Might spot you somewhere tomorrow! :)

Thanks Anna, am I planning to try race it proper as a final race before DCM. If you spot a fella in blue St Brendan's AC masquerading around the 1:40 pacers but probably falling short by a minute or so. That's me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

diego_b wrote: »
    Thanks Anna, am I planning to try race it proper as a final race before DCM. If you spot a fella in blue St Brendan's AC masquerading around the 1:40 pacers but probably falling short by a minute or so. That's me!

Hah, I will be at least 15 min behind you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow, have a great race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

All the best for tomorrow!

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, have a great race.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    All the best for tomorrow!

Thanks lads!

• Advertisement

Friday 15-09-2017

Plan: Easy 45min, 8x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), EZ 5min Jogging Warm-Down
    Actual: As above, 6.3mi in 1:06:11 (4.89mi in 45mins @ 9:12min/mi, 8x12sec sprints, 0.54mi in 5:25min/mi @ 9:56min/mi)

Saturday 16-09-2017
    Plan: 30min XT
    Actual: Rest

Total mileage for the week: 27.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Enjoy the race :)

Will do a proper update tomorrow but came home with a new pb of 1:40:23, 1:21 faster than my last best time in July. I started with the 1:40 pacers but after 9 miles I dropped off the back of the pace group. The sub 1:40 wasn't there today but very happy with the time.
    Nice to catch up with a few familiar faces from round these parts, some fine running on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done!! Enjoy the PB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Will do a proper update tomorrow but came home with a new pb of 1:40:23, 1:21 faster than my last best time in July. I started with the 1:40 pacers but after 9 miles I dropped off the back of the pace group. The sub 1:40 wasn't there today but very happy with the time.
    Nice to catch up with a few familiar faces from round these parts, some fine running on show.

Congrats on yet another PB. How many is that this year? :pac:

• Advertisement

DCM 2017 - Week 11

Sunday 17-09-2017

Plan: Easy 20min, 70min @ 95-100% Goal Marathon Pace, Easy 20min Warm-Down.
    Actual: Charleville Half Marathon

Got to Charleville for an early enough time of 8:45 and parked behind the fine indoor GAA hall. I wasn't certain if there was parking up that way but it was a grand spot right beside registration and a 5 min jog up to the start line. I had been up at 6:25 so had my normal overnight oats before hitting the road around 7. Foggy/cold morning but it looked like it was going to clear and pretty ideal conditions really.
    I had prepped two pace bands for the run, I only really needed one but I wanted to have both for reference, my plan for the day was to go with the 1:40 pacers (second time I've done this and knew it could lead to a tough day but I wanted to push the boat out a bit). My plan b was going to be 1:41 which would give me a pb of 44 seconds. Previous best was 1:41:44 from Run Killarney in late July and my goose was proper cooked that day after about 8 miles and finished with some 8min+ miles over the last 5K.

I took in a nice easy pace warm up running out the first mile of the route and then back home again through the finish early. Just reminding myself of the tough draggy finish. Figured whatever was gained in the first fast mile would be handy back there in the last mile. Bumped into Rob Heffernan then so got a quick picture with him, I just said hi and exchanged his catch phrase "Drive on". Nice fella.

Lining up for the off just beside the 1:40 pacers, both are from down my neck of the woods so had said hello a few times over the morning as I met them. I told them I'd be hanging out the back of the pace group but I'd hopefully still be with them near the end. Got a tap on the shoulder a min or two before the start and it was KennyG of this parish so we chatted away for min or two over the plans for the day...with that we were off.

Mile 1: 7:33, Mile 2: 7:28, Mile 3: 7:29, Mile 4: 7:28, Mile 5: 7:31
    Quickly into the pace here but that was okay, first mile is beneficial in that you're naturally quicker here at a low effort and after that you just lock into it. Running with the pace group meant this was easy enough to maintain as the miles ticked off. We were bang on target going past the mile markers relative to the cumulative time for the race and pace band I had for 1:39:30. My watch was anything for 5-10 seconds out over the first half and similar in the second half....it clocked me at 13.24 miles for the race. First water stop in Mile 4 was a bit messy, there was more water than people realized so no need for some of the cutting across some were doing. I felt okay with the pace, but after heavy enough (for me) training this week my legs felt a bit creaky...first thoughts about maybe not holding this pace to the end.

Mile 6: 7:29, Mile 7: 7:29, Mile 8: 7:33, Mile 9: 7:31, Mile 10: 7:46
    Coming into Kilmallock there was a nice bit of support around, last year it was quite wet so not so many people around then as there was today.
    The pace group seemed to gain a bit of speed as we turned through the town. I dropped back about 5 seconds but was okay as took my gel in mile 7 just after the second water stop and then pulled up with the group again. Holding steady for another few miles with the group I thought I was doing okay but coming into Mile 9 I said I think I might have to let the group go. I had had a few surges to keep up the pace and was feeling pretty leggy. I started to think a bit about the main thing being DCM and how much did I want to push this....I was on course for a good pb but could I hold onto this with the group. Some really good support from the pacers checking out how people were. I was working out in my head with 4 miles to go that if I just kept faster than 8min/mi I would be good for a nice pb. With those thoughts I was now about 5-10 seconds off the back of the group now and with that I just let it go.

Mile 11: 7:46, Mile 12: 7:42, Mile 13: 7:54, Mile 13.2: 1:44 (7:01 min/mi pace)
    Could still see the balloons up ahead and sometimes they felt nearer than others but I just said hold the effort and if there's something left in the last mile or so you can try a final push. They had gone through the start line a few seconds ahead of me and knowing the pacers I knew they'd be bang on with 25-30 seconds in the bank at the end so guessed if I could be within 30 seconds I still might get sub 1:40. Passed a few people over the last few miles and had 1/2 pass me as well. Coming to the last mile now I was really just willing it to be done. It feels really slow as you turn the final corner with the drag up towards the entry to the finish area. Nice crowd support here cheering everyone along. I had one last check of the watch as we went past the 13mile marker to see would I nab my A goal yet but it was not on. I still gave it my best to finish strong and crossed the line with 1:40:44 on the clock (net time was 1:40:23). A new pb by 1:21.
    Overall very happy with the race/run, possibly with more focus/taper for this race I might have been able to stick with the pace group for longer or to the finish. As it stands my next proper race half won't be until sometime next spring I guess, after the Donadea 50K so hopefully keeping up consistency and injury free I should be good to be a nice bit faster next time out.

Caught up with a few familiar from home afterwards and met KennyG and FBOT too, excellent running from both. Hit the road then and was home around half 2.

Warm-up: 2mi in 18:34 @ 9:15min/mi
    Race: 1:40:23 @ 7:36min/mi (49:39 first half/50:44 second half)
    Cool-down: 0.5mi in 5:31 @ 11min/mi (race on soggy grass pitch, seemed like a good idea at the time)

Monday 18-09-2017

Plan: Rest or 20-30min XT
    Actual: Some stretching and foam rolling on the back baller to help the stiff calf/achilles.

Very well done on the PB, D!

Congrats on yet another PB. How many is that this year? :pac:

Haha thanks, there's been a few alright. Hopefully can keep chipping away at times across the board.
    Very well done on the PB, D!

Ta very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done D, congrats on the PB.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done D, congrats on the PB.

Thanks L!

Tuesday 19-09-2017

Plan: Easy 45-50min Run.
    Actual: Achilles not happy so no running and just some calf exercises.

Wednesday 20-09-2017

Plan: (Aerobic Power Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 5x 1600m (one mile)@ 105-110% of GMP w/90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 10-15min Warm-Down.
    Actual: Really paying for the half marathon, so just completed core work and some calf exercises.

Thursday 21-09-2017

Plan: Rest
    Actual: A massive two miles on the treadmill in 25mins, things seemed to picking up / yet still a bit gingerly.

Friday 22-09-2017

Plan: Easy 45min, 8x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), EZ 10min Jogging Warm-Down.
    Actual: No ill effects from the treadmilling the previous day so was planning to do another run on the treadmill but went into town with my wife and daughter for culture night stuff. When we got home I decided to leave it be and run the next day as per plan.

Saturday 23-09-2017

Plan: Easy 30min Run or 30min XT
    Actual: On the road again.....3.3mi in 30min @ 9:08min/mi. Conditions not the best but so happy to be back on the road.

Total mileage for the week: 20.9. If things are going okay next week I plan to swap that Wednesday night session instead of the one that is planned as it's easier than doing half mile reps at 7-7:15min/mi pace.

DCM 2017 - Week 12

Sunday 24-09-2017

Plan: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (80min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace, or GMP), Easy 20min Warm-Down.
    Actual: As above but it was a slogfest. I was town this morning for the junior parkrun where I was timekeeping. After that then my plan was to run home (I estimated that the distance/time to cover was about spot on). Starting my run at 10:30 I meandering out of the town city and hit the long drags that is the Tralee-Ardfert-Ballyheigue road. I felt okay out as far as Ardfert and funnily enough then I met some parents/kids I know from my AC who'd been at the parkrun and were now taken part in a school cycle. Some joked I was only this far. Tipped away for another 20 mins or so but then I noted the heat (I was wearing long sleeves but pulled up as I thought it would be cold, can't judge the weather at the moment), my back was proper soaking so was loosing fluid rapid. I stopped for a quick pee in a field entrance and I actually seemed to wobble for a second. As I was about to start running again a guy in a car stopped and asked was I okay/did I want water/he was joking that I knew what I was in regards training/I was wearing my DCM 2016 finishers top. I said I was grand but would take some water (I was actually proper parched and hadn't left any on the route for myself). After that I felt a bit better and got back into it. Got it going again but tbh it was just a hard run, maybe the half marathon still in the system (of course it is), maybe the heat or maybe the achilles (which I could feel maybe 2/10, which on previous injuries has been okay to work with so going for it) was making it all a lot more effort.
    Just coming to end of the mp tempo section a few miles from home I passed a walker who asked was I training for the marathon and I said I was, she asked what time was I hoping for and I said 3:40. She said wow, inside I was laughing when thinking how I was feeling today what was I thinking....anyways hopefully back on plan as much as possible now....and I'm done with races between now and DCM day. A local 5K next weekend has been kicked to touch, not even going to do it as a training pace run and I also this weekend I was looking at doing the inaugural Listowel Endurance festival where a 3 hour run was one of the distances on offer and I was going to use it for my weekend long run but it wasn't a runner really and the loop they were using has a nasty enough pull...running that 15-20 times was not going to do my any favours.

Session broke down as:
    2.15mi in 20min @ 9:17min/mi
    9.5mi in 80min @ 8:25min/mi
    2.13mi in 20min @ 9:31min/mi.

This evening then I did some core exercises and also some calf exercises too.

Monday 25-09-2017

Plan: Rest or 20-30min XT.
    Actual: Rest.

Tuesday 26-09-2017

Plan: Easy 50min Run.
    Actual: 5.5mi in 50:32 @ 9:11min/mi, legs pretty stiff doing this but all fine otherwise. Calf exercises after that.

Wednesday 27-09-2017

Plan: (Lactic Resistance Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 8x 800m (half-mile)@ Yasso Pace w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 20min Warm-Down.
    Actual: (Aerobic Power Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 5x 1600m (one mile)@ 105-110% of GMP w/90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 10-15min Warm-Down.

I swapped out the session for the missed one from last, simple reason being would be running at a slower pace (7:40-8min/mi vs 7-7:10min/mi) even if for a longer duration I felt would be less risky with calf/Achilles. Got the job anyways, effort was high but manageable.

Session broke down as follows:
    2.18mi in 20min/mi @ 9:12min/mi
    5x1mile, Target for intervals was 7:40-8min/mi, actual was 7:55, 7:54, 7:49, 7:52, 7:50 (on the slower side than I hoped but that seems to be where I am at at the moment)
    1.16mi in 11min/mi @ 9:26min/mi

9 miles in total for the session.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Good stuff D. I know the feeling when it comes to sliding around the pace bands. That session was well worth putting the gear on for :D

denis b wrote: »
    Good stuff D. I know the feeling when it comes to sliding around the pace bands. That session was well worth putting the gear on for :D

Thanks Denis, off this particular plan (3rd time using it) I find the Wednesday session the hardest by far. It seems to work in a few ways and certainly does a job on fatigue. It’s not a plan that contains 20 milers which seem to be tried and trusted for many but this one works well for me. After the months of knee pain I had after my first DCM I am very wary of long slow runs...so a midweek interval and then a weekend mp tempo work well for me.

• Advertisement

Thursday 28-09-2017

Friday 29-09-2017

Plan: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), EZ 10min Jogging Warm-Down.
    Actual: As above, 7miles in total for the run in 1hr 7mins. Took in a new route (well about a mile of it I had not run before) and went well. Always wary of running roads that not that familiar with mainly due to dogs. Feeling a bit of form starting to come back.

Saturday 30-09-2017

Plan: Easy 40min Run or 40min XT.
    Actual: 4.3mi in 40:37min @ 9:14min/mi, early enough for me on a Saturday morning starting this around 8:15. Legs a bit tired but all seems well.

Total mileage for the week: 39.7miles.

DCM 2017 - Week 13

Sunday 01-10-2017

Plan: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 30min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (90min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace, or GMP), Easy 20min Warm-Down.
    Actual: 3K race with my wife and daughter, 1.9mi in 29:33 @ 15:27min/mi.
    Once I got home after that I went and did my own run. The run went well apart from after 9 miles where I hit a head wind for a few miles and it was really defeating having to push the effort to try hold the pace. Hit my overall average pace but outside of those few miles it was going to plan. I stopped briefly after 11 miles to take a gel and some water and to get my breath back after the wind but back into it after that.

3.33mi in 30min @ 9min/mi
    10.62mi in 90min @ 8:29min/mi (aiming for 8:25min/mi)
    2.05mi in 20min @ 9:49min/mi

Total of 16 miles in 2hr 20mins.

Monday 02-10-2017

Actual: Rest with some calf exercises

Tuesday 03-10-2017

Plan: 50min easy
    Actual: 6mi in 54:32 @ 9:06min/mi, picked a new route (I have it in reverse as part of longer runs) that I didn't know the exact distance or time it would take me to run. It was about 5 mins longer than plan so just kept tipping away to bring it up to 6 miles even. Nice bit of climbing in mile 3-4 of the run and then ups and downs after that.

Wednesday 04-10-2017

Plan: (Aerobic Power Intervals)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 6x 1600m (one-mile)@ 105-110% of Goal Marathon Pace w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 15min Warm-Down
    Actual: as above, I didn't get this started till 7pm last night so was mostly ran in the dark. Silly me didn't change the batteries in my head torch so by the time I was into the 3rd interval of the 6x1600m it was pitch dark and the light in my torch was almost gone. Ended up calling it a day at 5 reps as I'd slowed down due to not being able to see well. Not worth twisting my ankle on the potholes on route. Did the warm down using the flashlight on my phone.

Session broke down as:

2.15mi in 20min
    5x1 mi intervals (Target for the reps was 7:40-8min/mi), actual was 7:47, 7:43, 7:34, 7:42, 8.
    1.6mi in 15min

Total of 9.4miles in 1hr 20mins 15 secs.
    During the last 15 minute cool down I had surreal experience of something small, black and furry running across my path and through my legs. It trod on my big toe on my right foot and hit my left calf. Took the heart of me, going by size/speed and as to where it hit me on the calf it maybe a cat but no idea.

Thursday 05-10-2017

Actual: Rest but will do some core work and calf exercises later

Friday 06-10-2017

Plan: Easy 45min, 6x 12sec Short Hill Sprints (full recovery between each), EZ 10min Jogging Warm-Down.
    Actual: As above, up at Laois at my parents place so took in a tour of a few sights, old church, graveyard and then a masspit another few miles after that. Did my hill sprints on a proper steep stretch so could feel it a bit on the 5th and 6th but job done. Total of 6.6mi in 1:06:19.

Saturday 07-10-2017

Plan: Easy 40min Run or 40min XT.
    Actual: 4.6mi in 40:15min @ 8:45min/mi, more looping around my birthplace. Pace a bit higher than expected but effort was easy. Hope it bodes well for the longest run of my plan tomorrow.

Total mileage for the week: 44.6miles

DCM 2017 - Week 14

Sunday 08-10-2017

Plan: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 30min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (90min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace, or GMP), Easy 30min Warm-Down.
    Actual: As above, ran from my parents home to Roscrea....looping through the town and back out the same way again. Longest run of my plan but went well, felt quite warm during the run and sweated a lot but hit my target paces pretty well on what is a long straight draggy route...very akin to what the worse of DCM brings at spots.
    Took two gels on the run, just for practice again....will follow the same plan as I have done for the last two marathons with a gel every 5 miles, last one likely taken @ 20 miles as I can't really hack them after that. I carried a water belt (with high five zero loaded) with me this time and much better having to hand than having stashed it in places. During the race I will do as I have done in the last two marathons in having some high five zero tabs with me and dropping half a tab into the bottles on the run. Works well and I can keep a bottle with me between stops, stick it in my pocket or discard.

3.3mi in 30min @ 8:47min/mi
    10.80mi in 90min @ 8:20min/mi (aiming for 8:25min/mi)
    3.4mi in 30:20min @ 8:57min/mi

Total of 17.5 miles in 2hr 30mins.

Followed up with some core work watching Green Bay @ Dallas....late one but a good one!

Monday 09-10-2017

Actual: Rest with some calf exercises

Tuesday 10-10-2017

Plan: Easy 50min
    Actual: 51:35mi on the treadmill, 5miles.

Wednesday 11-10-2017

Plan: (Lactic Resistance Intervals)- Easy
    20min Warm-Up, 8-10 x 800m (half-mile)@ Yasso Pace w/ 90sec Recovery Jogging Between Each, Easy 20min Warm-Down
    Actual: 7.4mi in 1:04:31, target for the intervals was 3:30-3:40, actual was 3:36, 3:35, 3:40, 3:42, 3:42. Left it at 5 intervals as could feel left hamstring. Better safe than sorry. Did the full warm down and whilst I could feel it little felt it would be fine with a day or two rest.

Thursday 12-10-2017

Actual: Rest, calf exercises, hamstring exercises and core work.

Friday 13-10-2017

Actual: as above, 7mi in 1:08:28. Hamstring felt fine, did the sprints as per plan so all good.

Saturday 14-10-2017

Plan: (GE)- Easy 40min Run or 40min XT
    Actual: 4.5mi in 40min @ 8:54min/mi.

Total mileage for the week: 41.4miles.

DCM 2017 - Week 15

Sunday 15-10-2017

Plan: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (60min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace, or GMP), Easy 20min Warm-Down.
    Actual: As plan, all good apart from having to stop for a min during my tempo run due to a dog that is really grinding the gears a bit.

2.2mi in 20min @ 9:03min/mi
    7.3mi in 60min @ 8:14min/mi (aiming for 8:25min/mi)
    2.2mi in 20min @ 9:14min/mi

Total of 11.7 miles in 1hr 40mins.

Monday 16-10-2017

Tuesday 17-10-2017

Plan: 45min easy
    Actual: 4.8mi in 45:17 @ 9:24min/mi. My watch has given up it's ability to be charged so have a new one ordered from Amazon on priority shipping. Having to resort to recording runs on my phone. Also more dog fun, different little so and so this time.

Wednesday 18-10-2017

Plan: (Aerobic Power Intervals) - Easy 20min Warm-Up, 2x3200m (two miles) @ 105-110% GMP w/ 90sec Recovery between each, easy 20min Warm-Down.
    Actual: as above, broken into 3 separate sessions on my phone for ease. Happy with this and no dog issues!

2.2mi in 20min @ 9:05min/mi
    4mi in 31:05min @ 7:43min/mi
    2.2mi in 20min @ 9:21min/mi

Total of 8.4mi in 1hr 11mins

New watch arrived today, thank you Amazon so will get a few runs in with it before DCM.
    It's just the upgrade from my old watch so gone M400 to M430 with wrist based HRM. Have configured the screens to be the same as my old watch so outside of being shiny and new it shouldn't make any difference.

Won't miss my old watch

Thursday 19-10-2017

Friday 20-10-2017

Actual: as above, 6.7mi in 1:06:17. Was hitting 4:20-30min/mi pace on the sprints which is about as fast as it can get for me I think. Good test of all systems which seem fine.

Saturday 21-10-2017

Plan: Easy 30min Run or Rest
    Actual: With a stag party to be attended in Cork I took the rest day, otherwise no issues running.

Total mileage for the week: 31.6miles.

DCM 2017 - Week 16

Sunday 22-10-2017

Plan: (GMP Tempo)- Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (40min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace, or GMP), Easy 20min Warm-Down.
    Actual: As above, with an extra min and a half to hit the 10miles.

2.2mi in 20min @ 9:07min/mi
    4.9mi in 40min @ 8:08min/mi
    2.9mi in 26:23min @ 9:09min/mi

Total of 10miles in 1hr 26min 28secs.

• Advertisement

Guess it's time for cards on the table....

Goal A: Sub 3:40, planning to use the pace group until at least halfway...maybe longer up to 22 miles depending on conditions on the day and how it's going.
    Goal B: Break my current pb from Tralee 2017 (3:43:41)
    Goal C: Break my DCM 2016 time (3:57:34)
    Goal D: Finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Goal A: Sub 3:40, planning to use the pace group until at least halfway...maybe longer up to 22 miles depending on conditions on the day and how it's going.

You’ll have to remind me of your club colours D I’ll be out on the bike suppprting so will keep an eye out for you.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    You’ll have to remind me of your club colours D I’ll be out on the bike suppprting so will keep an eye out for you.

Ah very good A, baby blue singlet with St. Brendan's AC on it. I'll be wearing sunglasses if it looks remotely like sun is going to shine!

Race ya to the line D :). Our stats and targets are pretty much the same. Could be quite the battle on Mount Street :D

Race ya to the line D :). Our stats and targets are pretty much the same. Could be quite the battle on Mount Street :D

Haha I see that alright, you’re starting in Wave 1? I’m back in Wave 2, the 3:40 pacers are at the start of that Wave so I signed up for there.

Haha I see that alright, you’re starting in Wave 1? I’m back in Wave 2, the 3:40 pacers are at the start of that Wave so I signed up for there.

Good idea. Have been toying with the idea of dropping back to Wave 2. I prefer to run out of sight of pacers (purely psychological). Will see nearer the day but will probably go without pacers. Must think a little deeper about this.

• Advertisement

Good idea. Have been toying with the idea of dropping back to Wave 2. I prefer to run out of sight of pacers (purely psychological). Will see nearer the day but will probably go without pacers. Must think a little deeper about this.

That’s fair enough, generally my best results have came through even pacing with a faster final 5-10K depending on half or full marathon so pacers help that. Saying that if the pace is too fast it can hurt a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck Sunday D, have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck D! Have a great race :)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best Luck Sunday D, have a great race.
    Best of luck D! Have a great race :)

Thank you both kindly!

Monday 23-10-2017

Tuesday 24-10-2017

Plan: 40min easy
    Actual: 4.4mi in 40:25 @ 9:12min/mi

Wednesday 25-10-2017

Plan: (Fartlek)- Easy 20min Warm-Up, 8x60sec ‘Fast’, 60sec ‘Easy’, Easy 15min Warm-Down
    Actual: As above, broke down as follows:

2.18mi in 20min @ 9:11min/mi
    8x60sec fast, avg pace varied between 6:16-7min/mi
    1.58min in 15min @ 9:31min/mi

Total of 5.6miles in 50min

Thursday 26-10-2017

Actual: Actual

Friday 27-10-2017

Plan: 30min easy
    Actual: 3.1mi in 30min @ 9:31min/mi

Saturday 28-08-2017

Actual: It will be rest

Total mileage for the week: 23.1
    Total mileage for DCM 2017 training: 440.7 miles completed
    (DCM 2015 was 497.53, DCM 2016 was 454.71, Tralee 2017 was 408.68)

On a half day today from work so travelling up the country and will go to the expo this evening to collect my pack, very handy day planned for tomorrow then. Best of luck to all running, see you on the other side!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck, no doubt we'll meet at some stage, whether it be before, during or after :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The very Best of Luck Sunday D , have a great run.

Best of luck, no doubt we'll meet at some stage, whether it be before, during or after :D

Thanks J, and you too. Make sure it's after though as you should be up the road from me. Wave 1 start? I'm in Wave 2.....all going well I get my 3:39:30 and you get 3:29:30....we can maintain the 10min gap and I'll see you in McGrattans!
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck!

Thanks and fingers crossed!
    The Muppet wrote: »
    The very Best of Luck Sunday D , have a great run.

Ta very much, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck on Sunday, have a good one!

Good luck on Sunday, have a good one!

Ta very much!

Very best of luck on Sunday, D... I like your D goal :) not that you'll need it. Hope to see you after!

Very best of luck on Sunday, D... I like your D goal :) not that you'll need it. Hope to see you after!

Thanks Anna, mind yourself between now and then! Hopefully catch a few boardsies with my wife in McGrattans.

Thanks Anna, mind yourself between now and then! Hopefully catch a few boardsies with my wife in McGrattans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Hope all goes well! Do the Kingdom proud. Solid training block so no reason you'll need to consider anything apart from the A goal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement