Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

All the very best D. Will be keeping an eye out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Hope all goes well! Do the Kingdom proud. Solid training block so no reason you'll need to consider anything apart from the A goal.

Ta very much, yup A goal all the way!
    denis b wrote: »
    All the very best D. Will be keeping an eye out for you.

Thanks Denis, give it your best as I’m sure you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Best of! Say hello afterwards if you’re around, will keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck tomorrow have a great day.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Best of! Say hello afterwards if you’re around, will keep an eye out for you.

Will do, will head for McGrattans so hopefully meet a few boardsies there.
    Younganne wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow have a great day.

Thanks A, best of luck to you and your pacees!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow D, A goal all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Cya at the PB table in McGrattan's tomorrow :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Have a great race tomorrow D, put the cherry on top of a fantastic year and enjoy it all :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck for tomorrow!

• Advertisement

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow D, A goal all the way!

Thanks L, fingers crossed now!
    Singer wrote: »
    Cya at the PB table in McGrattan's tomorrow :pac::pac::pac:

Hahaha with a bit of luck anyways!
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Have a great race tomorrow D, put the cherry on top of a fantastic year and enjoy it all :)

Thanks S, hopefully so now but feel I am in bonus territory so can’t complain with it really!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck for tomorrow!

Thank you kindly!

Dublin City Marathon 2017 race report

TLDR
    Chip Time: 3:54:53 (Target Sub 3:40, started with a 3:39:30 pace band on to counter for the extra few hundred meters that would be ran)

Goal A: Sub 3:40
    Goal B: Break my current pb from Tralee 2017 (3:43:41)
    Goal C: Break my DCM 2016 time (3:57:34)
    Goal D: Finish

Distance: 26.2miles (26.53 on my GPS, I was easily 0.1m out from the first mile having to go the long way around onto Leeson St for starters, I used the mile markers/total race time/pace band as reference to how I was doing...checking after each mile)
    Avg overall pace: 8:52min/mi (from my watch)
    Avg heart rate: 165bpm (max recorded was 176, 94% of max 188bpm)
    Training plan used: Running Shoes Guru plan, 3rd time on the plan.

Toughest race I've ever done, was on target up to halfway...by 16 miles I was reverting to plan B of 3:43 but at 20 miles I had to walk for the first time ever in a race. It was so hard after that with a race/walk strategy of a 0.5/1mi running with maybe 30 seconds walking at spots. Just ran of gas. Had to have a right chat with myself as to what I was at and reverting to plan C to ensure to beat my DCM 2016 time (3:57:34).

Preamble
    Having been to the expo on Friday I had the laziest day I possibly could on Saturday, proper taking it handy!

Left my parents place in Laois around 7:00 that evening after eating all I was planning to eat for the day. Got to my brothers place in Clondalkin just after 8 to watch Katie Taylor get the job done and become world champion. Also watched the Joshua fight, highly/surprisingly entertaining.

Laid out all my gear for the morning in the room, and got my breakfast prepped before going to be around 11. Slept pretty well and the alarm went off at 6am then (straight away to the toilet, no caffeine needed here). Shower, gear on, breakfast and out the door with my wife around 7:00am to head into town in the car. Parked in Stephen's Green car park as per last year. The difference in 10-15mins earlier from last year meant it nice and calm! My wife walked down with me some of the way towards Baggot St before heading on her way to meet the another runner's wife from home that she's friends with and they were going to Phoenix Park and then to Milltown before getting to finishing area.

I met a few people I knew doing the race in the baggage area, incl denis_b and I comparing notes and strategies for the day! Said hi to younganne at the pacer tent and with that dropped my gear into the nice volunteers. On my way to the green wave, all was feeling pretty good. Nerves seemed to be good, had been told I seemed to be very on edge this week about the race coming up. Certainly I had a knot in my stomach over the last few days with it.

Anyways a gentle warm up and another toilet trip I had a banana as the first wave were starting. We were moved into position then, I stayed about 20 seconds in distance to run from the 3:40 pacers. At 9:10 we were off.

Mile 1-3 (8:17, 8:00, 8:22)
    I held my position and tried not to weave too much, it was very congested at the front of the wave and this lasted all the way right through a lot of the first 10-11 miles with getting clipped more than once. Took the long way around the bend onto Leeson St. but with the slight downhill it comes back so.
    The first water station in Stoneybatter was utter carnage and I just skipped it, knew there was another one coming up soon enough.

Mile 3-6 (8:13, 8:18, 8:06)
    Met my wife and her friend as scheduled after Mile 4, same place as last year (on the other side of the road thought). Took some water at the 5 mile stop and took my first gel. I had noted already I was fairly sopping through with sweat so was concerned was I putting too much effort in at the pace and also was taking some salt tabs to offset the loss of salts. Was pretty close up behind the pacers now..

Mile 7-9 (8:23, 8:05, 8:18)
    Huge noise in Castleknock as always, was starting to feel the heat and whilst I was wearing sunglasses I was wishing I had a hat or visor on instead maybe. At the spot the road tightened up a lot and again congestion was an issue.

Mile 10-12 (8:15, 8:19, 8:25)
    These miles seemed to go off pretty uneventiful really. Passed Dave 700up Brady just after James Hospital. Some achievement having the many under his belt. Someone asked what age he was, he said 67. I said young, meaning years young and he laughed. Keep it going!
    Took my second gel after 10miles.

Mile 13-15 (8:22, 8:24, 8:23)
    Through the halfway point here, checked my watch and it was 1:50:12...it was about 30 seconds off target but I was right behind the pacers so just figured I am going to stay right here now....best laid plans and all that. The run out to Crumlin was fine, not much wind if any at all I felt there. Still warm though and was looking forward to turning my back to the sun.

Mile 16-18 (8:22, 8:29, 8:49)
    Going down into Terenure I was feeling that I was slipping back a small bit from the pacers so was starting to have first thoughts about a switch in plan. Figured I'd 10 miles or so to go and with 2-3 min in the bank I could slip back by 10 seconds a mile without too much a problem. Things started to turn pretty quick then, mile 17 I was fighting hard. Got a good cheer from a mates girlfriend and that gave me a good boost to keep it going for another mile. Pace was dropping though.

Mile 19-21 (9:16, 9:10, 10:59)
    Plan B was slipping away at a rapid pace here now and my head was starting to find it tough going to compute running the rest of the race with how I was feeling. I had at least two blisters on my left foot which weren't helping things. I just focused on seeing my wife at Milltown and to ensure to keep running to there. I saw here and then stopping for a second to take a drink off here. Told her I was struggling, she offered some words of encouragement and I kept going. However within half a mile I was gone, that little climb at Milltown and I was walking at the top of it. First time ever in any distance of a race incl training and I had to stop running. Was pure annoyed and swore loudly. I walked for a minute or two and then got it going again. I couldn't consider walking for that long for the rest of the race. I think it was here I went past KennyG and MrsMc, serious support there and thank you. Same with a colleague from work just after them. I started thinking what could I do here now...hoping there wouldn't be much walkingb but it came back one I went around the corner from them. I felt a bit embarassed to be honest but I had so little left to to give. I got running again now after taking an orange off a lady before we turned onto Clonskeagh Road.

Mile 22-24 (11:29, 11:28, 9:22)
    Had to stop to walk again at the AIB/UCD entrance there, I got a shot of the start of a cramp in my right calf/achilles area. The 3:50 pacers passed me, same spot the 4:10 pacers passed me in DCM 2015. I waved at the ballloons themselves. Anyways Goal C was still on if I could limit the walking stuff. It was a bit stop start on Roebuck Road and one over heartbreak hill I walked a lot of Fosters Avenue before running as far as Nutley Lane. I had said to myself no more walking but going past a bunch of Crusaders I stopped again and took a drink from the bottle I was carrying...they gave me a good shout and I got going again. I was thinking two good miles and I'll be comfortably under 4 hours and should be faster than last year.

Mile 25-Finish (9:39, 9:11, 4 something)
    Onto Merrion Road and I was passing people at a good rate getting down into the high 8min/mi pace at times before another walking break before the RDS for 10 seconds. I knew it would be over soon so just said just find a pace and hold it through the finish as best you can. Got some shouts from a work colleague here near the US embassy, spotting AGYR as well (great job)....all helped to keep the final push going. I seemed to be passing a few people here and getting into the loud part. Crossing Mount St bridge I finally seemed to be feeling okay again and ran fairly solidly all the way through to the finish line with low 3:55:xx on the green wave clock. Was so happy to be done, I met Pat Hooper again afterwards and he gave me a hug, told him it had been so hard from about 16 miles but told him I at least managed to get it done and quicker than last year. Will recover well and hopefully see him in Raheny at the end of Jan.

I won't lie I was very disappointed to have missed out my target so much and though at worst originally I could get a pb. I have some thoughts as to what went wrong in training (not enough mileage, should increase the volume of simple easy mileage). Mistakes around the two half marathons in September (Charleville really hurt more than any race had before and having picked up an injury I needed at least two weeks to recover from that), diet/weight (I am carrying 3kgs at least too much at the moment), sleep (I need to take it a bit easier with stuff at home, I can be pottering till 10-10:30 at night before sitting down so find it hard to sleep after that and general stresses of life maybe encroaching too much on trying to get quality into training. I had a feeling in recent weeks that I was possibly in better shape going into the Tralee marathon and that definitely seems to be the case. The marathon is one hell of a tough race when it doesn't go your way but I am happy that I still was able to keep going even if it meant walking. Comparing notes with denis_b earlier he had a similar thought to me about how dubgal taught us well about having multiple goals and the lessons from the novice thread still hold through.

Afterwards I met my wife and went for a short stint to McGrattans and caught up with some boardsies (well done to you all) before grabbing something to eat and hitting the road for home (well to Laois at least).

Chip time 3:54:53 (1:50:12/2:04:41)
    Gun time 3:55:09

Strava Link

Thanks for the support and well wishes on a tough day.

What doesn't kill you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great report even if it didn't quite go to plan. I really think doing a detailed report helps you figure out what went wrong and what you can learn.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Great report even if it didn't quite go to plan. I really think doing a detailed report helps you figure out what went wrong and what you can learn.

Thanks C, I had time enroute to think about a few things so said I’d get them written whilst fresh in mind.

One thing I left out there was in hindsight when I noted to my wife a few weeks about maybe have been in better nick 6 months ago that I should have adjusted my plans accordingly. Either maybe paced it myself for a 3:45 or even gone with the 3:50s and worked with that. I expect I left a 3:4x time out there anyways with a bad approach on the day.

Great meeting you yesterday D and sorry it didn't go to plan but congrats on gritting it out.

You've had a fantastic year to date so head up and onwards to the next goal.

Great meeting you yesterday D and sorry it didn't go to plan but congrats on gritting it out.

You've had a fantastic year to date so head up and onwards to the next goal.

Thanks A, nice to catch you before the off. I can’t complain really with how it’s gone and in a way it’s given me some work to do. Donadea will be a test but looking forward to it and getting back to training next week.

• Advertisement

diego_b wrote: »
    Thanks A, nice to catch you before the off. I can’t complain really with how it’s gone and in a way it’s given me some work to do. Donadea will be a test but looking forward to it and getting back to training next week.

Forgot you were doing Donadea. 14 weeks from Saturday . . .:eek:
    See you there:D

Forgot you were doing Donadea. 14 weeks from Saturday . . .:eek:
    See you there:D

You will indeed, never ran anything close to the distance before so it will be a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done D you didn’t look like you were struggling at all. Sorry you didn’t have a good day well done for sticking it out sorry I missed you in mc grattans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Sorry to hear that you had such a tough race D but fair play to you for sticking it out till the end. Recover well and hopefully you will bounce back with a great result in Donadea.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done D you didn’t look like you were struggling at all. Sorry you didn’t have a good day well done for sticking it out sorry I missed you in mc grattans

I must have been hiding it well, but my wife didn't think I looked the best from what she had seen me like before in the races at a similar point. Tbh my head had gone at that stage as well. Thanks all the same, there was a lot of Raheny Shamrock clubmembers dotted through the course, really good support there for all!

jake1970 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you had such a tough race D but fair play to you for sticking it out till the end. Recover well and hopefully you will bounce back with a great result in Donadea.

Thanks L, once I could keep it going and not actually stop moving I said I'd get it done. Hoping the experience and knowledge gained will stand to me in time and for sure it's definitely going to be an inspiration over the next few months at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

A great honest report D, likewise you looked cool and calm in the last half a mile, and more alert than me!!! You were gone past when I realised it was you. Well done to you on your grit and determination, something that's just as important as putting in the training miles when it comes to marathons. Recover well!

A great honest report D, likewise you looked cool and calm in the last half a mile, and more alert than me!!! You were gone past when I realised it was you. Well done to you on your grit and determination, something that's just as important as putting in the training miles when it comes to marathons. Recover well!

I knew my wife was going to be somewhere around the neck of the woods so was keeping an eye to the crowd there.
    Thanks AM, I've put it behind me now so on/faster/longerwards!

Catching up here...

Took a few days off from running after the marathon and did a bit of traveling between work up the country and heading over to Manchester for a United game. Legs were well recovered by Wednesday and come Thursday evening I was toying with the idea of a run. I was not back down home to Kerry till around 9 so said I'd leave it another day. The marathon had hung around in my head a bit the first half of the week, I was annoyed & disappointed with how it went but using it as motivation for training for the 50K in Donadea. Ultimately I did manage to get around quicker than last year so that's something positive I can take away from it but anyways I expect I will be back marathon time hunting in the second half of next year between either Berlin (fingers crossed on the ballot) or else Dublin (might do that anyways even if I get Berlin but actually pace it for 4 hours or something like that....a nice day out sure!). For now it's into training for Donadea 50K.

Friday 03-11-2017

3.1 mile easy in 30 mins @ 9:38 min/mi.

Saturday 04-11-2017

5.5 mile very easy in 1:09:30 @ 12:35 min/mi with my wife. Her longest run in ages, she stopped to walk for a minute after 3 miles or so and the same again at 4.5 miles. Hoping to maybe try get to run with her more often maybe as an extra run at the weekend.

Sunday 05-11-2017

6.5 mile easy in 60 mins @ 9:18 min/mi.

Total mileage for the week: 15.1 miles.

Changing my log to a Monday-Sunday from my previous Sunday-Saturday tallying. Will be following the 4hr training plan from Gary O'Hanlon from the Donadea 50K fb group with some adaptions on the suggested paces. After some discussions on the race thread I am going to go with the 4hr 30min target for my training, that equates to a 3:45 marathon which whilst I didn't do that in Dublin I did do just under 3:44 in Tralee in March and I think due to poor approach/pacing on the day in Dublin I left a 3:4x time out there.

Donadea 50K 2017 - Week 1

Monday 06-11-2017

4 mile easy in 36 mins @ 9 min/mi. Met up a local running group for this one, it was lashing wind/rain but the company made the run pass nicely. I was however late so the first mile or was me playing catch up as there were about a minute up the road from me but caught up with a few after around a mile. Will try get to more of these and try work my runs on Mondays & Thursdays around them.

Tuesday 07-11-2017

5 mile easy in 47 mins @ 9:25 min/mi. Uneventful run barring an encounter with a cattle lorry driver who was not too inclined to slow down much and took the heart out of me as he barrelled past with me standing in the ditch.

Wednesday 08-11-2017

8 miles was on the plan but I was on the road late with the car so didn't get to start this till nearly 9pm so just did 5 miles easy in 46:27 @ 9:17 min/mi.

Thursday 09-11-2017

1.04 mile easy w/u in 10 min @ 9:33 min/mi, 30 mins tempo @ marathon race pace (3.6 miles @ 8:24 min/mi).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Oh my god D I admire your commitment straight into it again you deserve to have a super run for your commitment alone. Best of luck with training :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Oh my god D I admire your commitment straight into it again you deserve to have a super run for your commitment alone. Best of luck with training :)

Thanks A, it’s a bit of a hobbie as much as anything so like tipping away at it!

Donadea 50K 2017 - Week 1

Friday 10-11-2017

On the plan I am following there was 9 mile easy run scheduled, looking at how my mileage was stepping up for the week and the general tiredness after a two day training course at work I decided to take a rest day one day early.

Saturday 11-11-2017

Free day on the training plan, but having taking a rest day yesterday I did 5 miles easy instead. 5 miles in 46:22 @ 9:22min/mi

Sunday 12-11-2017

Plan was for 12 mile, 8 @ easy pace and 4 @ what seems to be about 90% goal race pace (I am coverting the plan from a 4hr to 4:30hr target) so 9min/mi that worked out for me for the faster bit.
    I took in some loops on the run doing two laps of a figure of 8 circuit. It was grand but I did feel a bit tired in the last few miles. Run broke down as 8mi in 1:13:46 @ 9:14min/mi, 4mi in 35:12 @ 8:47min/mi. Got the paces all wrong really as the first 8 should have slower and guess the second section of the run would have felt nicer.

Total mileage for the week was 35.6 miles

Donadea 50K 2017 - Week 2

Monday 13-11-2017

10 min wam-up, 40 x 20 secs hills on medium gradient with jog back recovery on the plan.Did this in the morning before work, Mondays, Thursdays and Friday are days when I don't have to do the school run as my wife works from home also those days so opportunities to do training before work. Not so bad starting a run in the dark and then it gets bright whilst running after work is all in the dark.

This session worked out as 4.3 miles in 42:11.

Tuesday 14-11-2017

9 mile easy, did this after work and before the match :-(. Felt comfortable throughout but over dressed with tights and running jacket (hard to call the weather at the moment but it generally really cold and frequently wet on runs). Having cooled the pace a bit more on the easy stuff it does make it easier to get the mileage in. 9 miles in 1:25:30 @ 9:30min/mi.
    Stomach feels like crap tonight though, trying to eat the dinner when I didn't really want it was a chore....wouldn't mind throwing up now to be honest to get rid.

I'm only catching up on your log now Diego, really sorry to hear how DCM went for you. It's no consolation but mine went just as bad - it was my first time ever having to walk in a marathon too, if I could take the proud out of proud finisher on my top, I'd do it. Fair play to you for toughing it out.

Ditto on Donadea, I'm interested to see your progress on Garys plan. I kicked off the plan too (next step is to start logging it now). The man knows how to make you work. I'm also feeling the need to slow down the easy days as my legs are still in a hoop form the 20 hill repeats on Monday. This will be a tough slog me thinks.

I'm only catching up on your log now Diego, really sorry to hear how DCM went for you. It's no consolation but mine went just as bad - it was my first time ever having to walk in a marathon too, if I could take the proud out of proud finisher on my top, I'd do it. Fair play to you for toughing it out.

Ditto on Donadea, I'm interested to see your progress on Garys plan. I kicked off the plan too (next step is to start logging it now). The man knows how to make you work. I'm also feeling the need to slow down the easy days as my legs are still in a hoop form the 20 hill repeats on Monday. This will be a tough slog me thinks.

Thanks Neady, I hope you do a write up if you feel like sharing as I guess there's a lot to be learned from when things go badly than when things go well. Sounds like we were in a similar boat so on the day, no interest in walking these things tbh so not planning on that happening again barring injury or something like that!

Ah cool, those plans of his are making me balk a small bit but I am going to customise them for sure, particularly the Wednesday type speed stuff as I think I simply don't in general have enough miles in my legs to follow it to a t even if changing the paces and I'd definitely pick up a calf injury. I think subbing in a day of core & flex work for one of the running days might keep the niggles away.
    As it turns out I am off work&running sick today anyways, found out earlier my family up in Laois (whom I was with Thursday-Sunday last week) all had the same bug. It'll pass! Back at it tomorrow all going well.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 15-11-2017

On the plan (with adjusted pacing) was 3 x 2 mile @ 8min/mi pace with 1/2 mile recovery in 4:30 between each 2miler but I was off work sick with a stomach bug and running was not going to be a runner for the day unforunately.

Thursday 16-11-2017

NCT for my car on Friday morning so had a few bits to sort out in town in the evening for that so met up with some clubmates and did just over 5 miles with them. I ran on for a few more miles myself then to take it to 8 miles (9 was on the plan but watching the jump in mileage from week to week with aiming to be around 45 in total rather than going over 50).
    8 miles in in 1:14:41 @ 9:20min/mi.

Friday 17-11-2017

Plan had 7mile tempo 5 @ 7:30 pace last 2 @ 7:20 pace on it. I was a bit caught for time after work and as this was first time doing some real pace work since DCM so I decided to just do a 5 mile tempo run @ hm pace. That worked out as 5mi in 39:12 @ 7:50min/mi.

Saturday 18-11-2017

8 miles easy on the plan for today, was on the road most of the day with family/Christmas stuff and got to Laois in the evening time (doing the Gingerbread Run with my wife in the morning, haven't ran a race with her in ages). Headed out on the road around 8pm after the United game and did 6.5 miles easy in 1:00:14 @ 9:16min/mi.

Sunday 19-11-2017

14.5 miles on the plan for today, 10 of those to be easy and 4.5 of those to be around 90% of planned race pace so around 9min/mi or so.

This ended up being 12.7 miles in total, broken down as 0.3 mile w/u for the Gingerbread Run, 6.2 miles running at very easy pace (11:17min/mi) during the race itself with my wife. Wrapped the day up with 6.2 miles on the treadmill then late yesterday evening after getting home to Kerry around 9:20pm. I did 4 miles easy pace (10kph) and then increased the pace (11kph) for the last 2.2 miles. This took a few seconds shy of an hour. I debated should I run onto to 8 miles just to get the 14.5 mileage in total but given this was my first attempt at doing a decent double, I'd hit the time on feet requirement for the day and that I'd already hit my mileage target for the week I left it when it hit 10K on the treadmill.

Wraps the week with a total mileage of 45.5 miles, my highest of the year so far despite the two marathon training cycles I've done already this year. Looking at the plan for the week ahead I am not sure if I'll crack 50 miles for the first time yet but I will probably clock my highest ever weekly mileage total.

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 3

Monday 20-11-2017

7 miles easy on for today and 7 miles easy done in 1:05:44 @ 9:23min/mi. Legs are fairly tired today but I generally find that after the treadmill vs road running.

Tuesday 21-11-2017

10min w/u, 3 x 2 miles @ hm pace (4x2mi @7:10 is on the plan for 4hr runners but I changed it) with 1/2 mile recovery in 5 min between each, 5min c/d

This was tough enough going but got the job done, heart rate had crossed into upper zone for the third 2mi interval but it seems I was running a bit quicker then, Was aiming for around 8min/mi but the charge on my watch was low so couldn't have the backlight on. Pretty happy with how this went doing it almost on feel with just checking the watch with my head lamp every mile or so to ensure I was on pace.

Session broke down as follows:

1mi in 10min @ 9:55min/mi,
    2mi in 16:02 @ 8:03min/mi,
    0.5mi in 4:47 @ 9:31min/mi,
    2mi in 15:53 @ 7:56min/mi,
    0.5mi in 4:51 @ 9:42min/mi,
    2mi in 15:47 @ 7:54min/mi,
    0.5mi in 5min @ 10:14min/mi

Total of 8.5 miles in 1:12:30

Wednesday 22-11-2017

8 miles was on the plan for the day but I had kinda planned to swap things around and bring my rest day forward and run Thursday instead. Idea was copper fastened when the road either side of the house was flooded with streams taking a short cut and also a lot of flooding in general around the place so left it be for the day.
    Did some core work and calf exercises yesterday evening instead.

Thursday 23-11-2017

Rest day on the plan for today but was taking the swapped Wednesday run instead. Up earlier than normal around 6:30 this morning so took to the treadmill around 7:15 and did 10K in just over 60mins instead. On course for 50 miles for this week so watching the total mileage so that doesn't become almost 55-60 miles if I stick to the plan too religiously so cutting a few miles from a few days. Toying with changing the planned Friday speed session (currently similar to Tuesdays run but 3x3, that is probably 2x3 for me) into maybe another 7/8 mile easy and then doing a speed session at the parkrun on Saturday morning with 1mi wu before and 1mi c/d after.

Friday 24-11-2017

10min easy, 3 x 3 miles @ hm pace with 1/2 mile recovery in 5 min between each 3 mile was on the plan for today but with the parkrun in mind for the morning and the step up in mileage I have taken in the last two weeks I traded this for 8 miles easy. Ended up doing this on the treadmill (starting Stranger Things for accompaniment for these things) so that worked out as 8 miles in 1:18:08 @ 9:46min/mi.

Saturday 25-11-2017

8 mile easy on the plan for today but this was going to be my second speed session for the week planning to use the local parkrun for this. Last Saturday of the month is pacer day so I figured I'd use the 22 or 23 min pacer for this depending on how I was feeling. Got to the park around 9:15 and got in a warmup mile and ran the reverse of the route just to check the surface if it was slippy after a cold night and also got a toilet visit in. Joined the group at 9:28 so just got to say hello to 1 or 2 and with that we were off, the 22min pacer took off pretty quick but I locked into what I felt was a good pace and just decided to hold that without looking at the watch until after two laps, after the second lap I think it was 14:5x on the watch so I knew I wouldn't go under 22 (pacer was about 15-20 secs up the road) but I knew the 23 min wouldn't catch me now either. Pushed on a bit to try close the gap on the pacers but didn't make much ground. Once once we got to maybe 200 meter to go I gave my final push, I think I should have went sooner than this but out of practice with 5Ks. Crossed the line to see 22:12 on my watch after I stopped it, official time was 22:10 so happy with that. It's my second fastest ever parkrun (though the 22:07 I got that day back in April was changed to 22:37 as they decided to address some timing issues by adding 30 seconds to everyone's time) so today as 22:10 goes down as my new parkrun pb. Happy with that as pretty sure I can break it, maybe not before the year is out but I do like the idea of trading the second speed session a week on the plan for the parkrun on a Saturday. We'll see on that score.

1mi w/u in 10:14 @ 10:15min/mi
    Tralee parkrun in 22:10 @ 7:08min/mi
    1.3mi c/d in 11:43 @ 9min/mi

5.4 miles in total

Sunday 26-11-2017

15 miles on the plan for today, ended up running 16.2 miles over the course of the day. Tralee junior parkrun with my daughter, 1.2mi in 16:56 @ 13:43min/mi.

After I got home then I had a small snack and headed out onto the road to take in a local half marathon route (a particularly tough one but would be running at easy pace) as part of my run. I have to admit finding this tough enough going now, up to about 8 miles of the route is steady climbing so I was pretty tired for the second half of the run but with two miles downhill and the rest pretty flat I got the job done. Ended up finishing the run about a mile away from home so just walked the rest back as I had enough miles done for the week. 15 mile in 2:18:14 @ 9:13min/mi.
    I carried a small 250ml bottle of water with me for the run and was glad of it had to have to sip every few miles, kinda had to ration it a bit though as would have taken more on if I had it.

Total for the week: 51.3 miles (highest ever weekly total and first time going over 50).

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 4

Monday 27-11-2017

8 miles easy on the plan for the GOH 4 hr plan for tonight, just did 6.2 miles easy on the treadmill in 60 mins.

Tuesday 28-11-2017

8 miles easy again on for tonight, ended up doing 8.5 miles easy in 1:19:35 @ 9:23min/mi. Nice clear evening for it with plenty of moonlight for company on the run.

Wednesday 29-11-2017

14x400m intervals on the plan for tonight so I took this as 10min easy warm up, 14x400m @ hm pace with 60 secs recoveries, 10min easy cool down. I had to go into Tralee this morning evening so did my session in there on part of the green way there. Pretty draggy section of path so I was alternating up and down on the drag for each rep. Sometimess two down, followed by two up. I was aiming for around 7:40-7:50min pace, as it turns out I was hitting sub 7:40s for some of the down ones and going over 7:50s for the ups. No matter really I guess but it was such a cold evening I was wary to push it too much.

Total of 6.7 miles in 1:00:30.

• Advertisement

Thursday 30-11-2017

The plan had 7 miles easy on but I could feel a small bit of calf niggle, nothing bad but enough to get me to opt for a rest day. Just did some core work and calf exercises that evening then watching the tele.

Friday 01-12-2017

Plan had 10min w/u with 9 mile tempo but after missing a day and considering doing the parkrun again in the morning I opted to just do an easy run in the dark after work. 8 miles easy in 1:14:35 @ 9:19min/mi. Calf was grand for this thankfully even with the last half mile of my general running route having a steep enough climb (I get to do this most times I run!). Funny going outside to the bin then later on that night around 12am it was lovely and clear with a full moon....joked with my wife I am planning on going running some night at that hour for the craic of it. I just think those clear nights with a full moon are simply stunning.

Saturday 02-12-2017

The plan had this down as a free day but I was thinking of a blast at the parkrun again like last week. Awful lazy in the morning when I got up and was thinking of the day ahead with Christmas shopping due to be tackled at some stage. We've a wedding in Wicklow next weekend so that weekend is a write off for shopping so left the running/stuck to the plan/had fancied 50 miles up again but feck it. All the shopping is done now so happy days.

Sunday 03-12-2017

Plan for today had 15.5 miles, with 10 miles easy and 5.5 miles a bit faster (probably 90 percent race pace it seemed). I figured I'd break this down as around 9:20 min/mi for the first bit as a lot of my easy run are at the moment and then 9 min/mi or so for the second bit. Ended up doing it a bit quicker overall, I think that was down to the extra day off and felt a bit fresher for the run than I did for last week's long run.
    I took in a local 5K route for some of this run, doing four laps of it as part of the run. Pretty handy as no need to carry water when running and could just stash a bottle and have a sip after each lap....kinda what I expect Donadea will be like in ways.

10 miles in 1:32:41 @ 9:16min/mi
    6 miles in 52 mins @ 8:40min/mi (it had started to lash raining so I wasn't going to walk half a mile in that so just ran to bring it up to 6 miles)

I ran in normal summer weather gear today, t-shirt and shorts and was grand for the most part though now and again I would feel a bit cold on the easy runs. Hard to plan what to wear on race day but guess I don't need to worry about that yet.

Total mileage for the week: 45.4 miles (down a bit from last week but that was due to the extra day off).

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 5

Monday 04-12-2017

7 miles easy on the plan for today, 7 miles easy done on the treadmill in 1:07:50. I generally do these easy runs at 10kph on the treadmill (it's in metric but I convert from imperial to metric before starting...11.265KM is 7 miles) and sometimes varying pace up by 0.5kph, playing around the incline a bit of getting bored by trying to hold easy effort. The pace always feels quicker on the treadmill than on the road though. My watch has a treadmill function (I think it works on an accelerometer) and it gave an avg pace of 9:40min/mi for the run and it got to 7 miles within 10-15 seconds of the treadmill getting the same distance.

Tuesday 05-12-2017

Tonight was a tough one, 10min w/u, 5 x 2 miles @ what I estimated to be around half marathon pace on GOH's 4 hour 50K plan. In the end I went with 10 min w/u, 4 x 2 miles (aiming for sub 8 min/mi for the miles here) with 60 sec recoveries and a 7 min cool down. I was hardly gonna stop at 9.8 miles after jogging for 5 mins. Happy with how this went, so for each 2 miles I ran 1 mile one direction, turned and ran back the way I came so lost a few seconds on the 180 degree turn. Was hoping to be under 16 minutes in total each time and what I got was:

15:47@7:54min/mi
    15:28@7:43min/mi
    15:45@7:53min/mi
    15:44@7:52min/mi

I pushed the second rep a bit more and it made the 3rd and 4th a bit harder heart rate/effort wise but got the job done. Watching to the total mileage for the week I left it at 4 intervals instead of doing 5.
    Total of 10 miles incl warm up, intervals, recoveries and cool down.

Wednesday 06-12-2017

Another 7 miles on for tonight, another 7 miles on the treadmill....this time in 1:07:24. Watch only recorded this as 6.7 miles but I go with the distance from the treadmill so left it at that. I was doing more messing around with the pace so maybe that caused issues with what learning my watch (if it can do) with treadmill mode.

Thursday 07-12-2017

Up in Dublin for work and caught for time after work before going to a Second Captains show with my brother. 5 miles was on the plan but with the time I had got 4 miles done before changing and going to meet him. Pretty cold but even with that the hat and gloves had to come off after a mile or so. I started my run from the Memorial Gardens top of O'Connell St and ran towards Mountjoy Sq and towards Croke Park and around that general area taking in the Customs House. Annoying having to stop a few times with traffic lights but what can you do. 4 miles in 37:03 @ 9:15min/mi.

I generally do these easy runs at 10kph on the treadmill (it's in metric but I convert from imperial to metric before starting...11.265KM is 7 miles) and sometimes varying pace up by 0.5kph, playing around the incline a bit of getting bored by trying to hold easy effort. The pace always feels quicker on the treadmill than on the road though. My watch has a treadmill function (I think it works on an accelerometer) and it gave an avg pace of 9:40min/mi for the run and it got to 7 miles within 10-15 seconds of the treadmill getting the same distance.

Wholeheartedly agree with all of this, converting to metric and finding it much harder. Very hard to do those sessions on the dreadmill and so boring. Fair play for sticking it out and for nailing all of the plan so far, you're doing incredibly well. You'll be toeing the line very well prepared :)

Wholeheartedly agree with all of this, converting to metric and finding it much harder. Very hard to do those sessions on the dreadmill and so boring. Fair play for sticking it out and for nailing all of the plan so far, you're doing incredibly well. You'll be toeing the line very well prepared :)

Thanks Neady, trying my best with it....finding it a bit odd converting the plan with some of it comes naturally with what pace I am able to do on a given day. Small bump in the road with not getting my long run in this weekend but it's going well enough so far.

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 5

Friday 07-12-2017

Plan had 8 miles easy, due to an department night out after work and having to travel back down to my parents place ahead of a wedding the next day I brought forward the rest day on the plan

Saturday 08-12-2017

Free day today but I did 5 miles instead before hitting the road for a wedding in Wicklow. 5 miles in 46:28 @ 9:17min/mi.

Sunday 09-12-2017

The plan had 15 miles on it for today, 12 @ easy pace with last 3 around 90% race pace. Unfortunately after a hectic few days travelling and late night I was shot when I got back home to Kerry in the evening time. I said to my wife around 7 before taking into unpacking that I could just go to bed tbh, she said why not leave the running and I was a bit relieved with someone offering me an excuse. A friend of mine down here recently collapsed after coming home from a run so it's in the back of my mind and my wife's mind to watch things a bit more (same mate is okay, not sure what happened but he got 4-5 days in hospital for tests). Having been away from home since Wednesday evening and sleeping in a different place each night since I had to acknowledge the tiredness I felt. Simply I was knackered and figured rather than doing the run just to get the mileage there was possibly more benefit in a rest day. I did take advantage with the time and got the unpacking done and house back to normal before an early night.

Wraps the week with 33 miles which is disappointing but real life stuff just got in the way too much this week. This week is pretty busy again but hoping to at least get 5 days in running all going well.

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 6

Monday 11-12-2017
    The GOH plan had a tough one on this evening, 10min warm up, 8x 1 mile @ what I guess is half marathon pace. Gave this a go but ended up leaving it at 6x 1 mile, I was finding too hard to hold pace for what should be relatively comfortable pace. I did note it took me a long time to warm up on the cold evening, maybe it might have been an idea to have done 20 min warm up before getting into the reps. On the last marathon plan I did, 20 min was standard warm up before similar sessions.

8:01
    7:44
    7:49
    7:46
    7:53
    7:56

8 miles in total for the session incl warm-up, recoveries and cool down.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 12-12-2017
    9 miles on the 4 hour plan for tonight but constrained for time with my daughter's school play to attend in the evening and that I am not looking for a 60+ mile week this week I did 5 miles easy on the treadmill at lunchtime. Took a few seconds north of 48 mins and comfortable throughout. Felt guilty going on the treadmill during the day time which was relatively nice down here but I thought I could get the run done quicker in the time given with less gear needed to be put on for the run indoors than outdoors requires at the moment. By the end of my run the torrents has opened outside so felt pretty happy and another ep of Stranger Things 2 down. SMRT.

Wednesday 13-12-2017
    Another speed session on the plan with 3x3 mile @ hm pace with 1/2 mile recoveries but I was back on the treadmill again this evening after work. I only had time to do a 10K so just did it at easy pace (60 mins) before heading for juvenile coaching. First time doing coaching in about two months (it's been postponed a few times and was away for 3 others) so wanted to get back into that before the new year starts. I finished Stranger Things 2, great show that....really enjoyed it over the last few weeks on the treadmill primarily. Hope they make more as the young cast as a whole are brilliant to watch and the 80's setting never fails to entertain....what wonderful hair, where's that Farrah Fawcett hairspray when you need it.
    What to watch next now, Person of Interest has been recommended a few times to me and I see Younganne is treadmilling with it so might give it a go...there's a few seasons in that so should last for a bit. Conditions terrible down here again today (Wed) and on a half day from work so hoping it eases so can get a decent run in during the weekday daytime for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

The Handmaids Tale is a good show although I don't know where you can get it from legit sources. I enjoyed Godless on Netflix - a small few episodes with a decent cast - it's a Western.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wednesday 13-12-2017
    Another speed session on the plan with 3x3 mile @ hm pace with 1/2 mile recoveries but I was back on the treadmill again this evening after work. I only had time to do a 10K so just did it at easy pace (60 mins) before heading for juvenile coaching. First time doing coaching in about two months (it's been postponed a few times and was away for 3 others) so wanted to get back into that before the new year starts. I finished Stranger Things 2, great show that....really enjoyed it over the last few weeks on the treadmill primarily. Hope they make more as the young cast as a whole are brilliant to watch and the 80's setting never fails to entertain....what wonderful hair, where's that Farrah Fawcett hairspray when you need it.
    What to watch next now, Person of Interest has been recommended a few times to me and I see Younganne is treadmilling with it so might give it a go...there's a few seasons in that so should last for a bit. Conditions terrible down here again today (Wed) and on a half day from work so hoping it eases so can get a decent run in during the weekday daytime for a change.

Billions and/or Better Call Saul are well worth a watch.

The Handmaids Tale is a good show although I don't know where you can get it from legit sources. I enjoyed Godless on Netflix - a small few episodes with a decent cast - it's a Western.

Ta for tips there M, The Handmaids Tale looks interesting for sure. Hadn’t heard of Godless (but I enjoyed Westworld, a western of sorts!).

Billions and/or Better Call Saul are well worth a watch.

Thanks there J, have seen Better Call Saul but not Billions. Good cast so will have a look at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement