Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 6

Thursday 14-12-2017

9 mile easy on the 4 hour plan so I went with 8 miles easy. On a half day from work so took that as early as I could at 12pm. Weather had been awful all morning so was expecting a soaking. Thought it was as going to cold enough so had layered right up running tights and whole shebang but wasn’t too bad and I managed to get the run done between showers.
    8mi in 1:10:49 @ 8:51min/mi.

Friday 15-12-2017

Free day so took the free day!

Saturday 16-12-2017

8 miles easy on the plan for today so went with that. Did it in and around Tralee for a change. My daughter and my wife were at the birthday party of a classmate so I had a free pass for a few hours. For about half of the run I took in some trails around Ballyseedy Woods (nice place and have ran here a few times on club runs but never on my own). The rest was on the road.
    8 miles in 1:14:45 @ 9:20min/mi.

Sunday 17-12-2017

Plan for today had 15.5 miles (first 11 easy and then last 4.5 miles @ around 90-100% race pace). Ended up doing 16 miles in total, broken down as:

11mi in 1:39:52 @ 9:05min/mi
    4.5mi in 37:33 @ 8:20min/mi
    0.5mi in 4:46 @ 9:30min/mi

Total of 16 miles in 2:22:10.

I ran to a local 3 mile loop about 2-2.5 miles away and then did 3 laps of the same loop before taking the alternate road home (a road I run a lot on). The loop was handy as could leave my water in one place and just take a sip every lap. Weird weather as sometimes I had to put up my sleeves and other times would have to pull them down. Took a few salt taps on the run and one shot blok I had. The effort went up a bit on the faster second part but I felt like pushing it on when I could have taken it easier but getting down to the 8min/mi felt good after a decent distance run. Next weeks 16 mile long run is all at easy pace so will get more practice on loops and holding back the pace a bit more then.

Total mileage for the week: 51.2 miles (highest ever from a few weeks back was 51.3).

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 7

Monday 18-12-2017

7 miles easy on the plan for today, did this on the treadmill in 1:07:58. Bit of messing around with the incline at times to elevate boredom even though I was watching a movie. Could have done this run on the road but with the increase in mileage I do figure a run or two a week is probably a good idea as I get used to 50+ mile weeks. Of course need to do more S&C work but running 6 days a week at the moment so find it hard to find the time but need to be more disciplined there.

Tuesday 19-12-2017

The 4hr plan had 3x2 miles intervals on the plan for tonight but I didn't have time to do this sort of distance tonight due to a funeral I needed to attend and a meeting after that so I decided on a shorter faster session. Legs tired enough again so was curious what pace I would be able to get too. My run worked out as 10min warm-up, 4x800 metre intervals at 5-10K pace with a 5min c/d. My 800 intervals worked out at 3:41, 3:45, 3:40, 3:40. That's about 10K pace really for me but I couldn't go any faster!

4 miles in total for the session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

You are flying along there Diego. Great training.

Re Persons of Interests I've been watching it for a good while now and think I'm on Season 3, the 2 oldest started watching it last year and were done and dusted in no time:rolleyes:, I don't get much time to watch TV so enjoy the catch up's on the treadmill and it takes the boredom away!!!

Have to line a few more up so will check out the recommendations you got!!:D

Younganne wrote: »
    You are flying along there Diego. Great training.

Re Persons of Interests I've been watching it for a good while now and think I'm on Season 3, the 2 oldest started watching it last year and were done and dusted in no time:rolleyes:, I don't get much time to watch TV so enjoy the catch up's on the treadmill and it takes the boredom away!!!

Have to line a few more up so will check out the recommendations you got!!:D

Thanks Anne, the last two weeks have been tough...not really the running itself but life outside of that. Finishing up work tomorrow for the week or so so should be able to work my training in well enough then. Could do with a quiet 7 weeks or so!

Cool, I've had two friends recommend it over the years so I've got season 1 ready to go now at some stage. Seems to have gone on for a few years now so will take a bit of work! I prefer to watch a few eps here and there of things rather than binge too much on stuff.

Wednesday 20-12-2017

8 miles easy on the plan for tonight so was on the road as soon as I could after work as was heading for coaching at my AC's last juveniles session of 2017. Legs were pretty tired to be honest and glad of today (Thursday) off. Looking forward to the 9 mile tempo run tomorrow though as I am sure I'll be feeling fresher for that.
    8 miles in 1:13:00 @ 9:07min/mi.

The juveniles session ended with a sprint off between the coaches, yours truly came second aka last out of the two male coaches on the night...it was like sprinting in treacle to be honest as had no real drive.

Thursday 21-12-2017

Free day

Friday 22-12-2017

The plan had a 9 mile tempo run on for today (not incl warm up or cool down) with the first 7 miles around hold marathon pace and the last 2 faster. Off work for the day, being nice to myself take my birthday off work every year whenever I get away with it!
    In the end I did just over 11.1 miles for the session, it broke down as:

1.03mi in 10min @ 9:37min/mi
    9mi in 1:13:18 @ 8:11min/mi (last 2 miles fastest 7:57, 7:47)
    1.07mi in 10min @ 9:19min/mi

Saturday 23-12-2017

8 miles easy for today, got my wires crossed and thought it was 7 miles. Overall 7.1 miles in 1:04:13 @ 9:03min/mi. Forgot to charge my watch, gps died about halfway through the run but it seemed to have guessed it pretty right whatever way the watch works it out when that happens.

Sunday 24-12-2017

16 miles easy on for today. Up at my parents place with my wife and daughter for a few days for Christmas (nice handy Christmas was no cooking this year or anything!!). Wanted to do a looped route to test my mentality a bit for this sort of stuff, the loop I used was around 1.8-1.9 miles long so I ran 9/10 laps (genuinely lost cost). Happy with how it went due to the easy but it was tough enough going as each laps had two railway bridges to cross (one long drag and the other a shorter/steeper affair). I took a small sip of water on each lap from a bottle I had stashed enroute and took a salt tab every 3 miles. Not used gels yet on the long runs, not felt a need to take the yet.
    16 miles in 2:25:00 @ 9:04min/mi.

Total mileage in 53.2 miles for the week (new highest ever total for a week). Hope you all had a lovely Christmas!

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 8

Monday 25-12-2017

Santa delivered this morning, all went great and one happy lady! Whilst the others went to Mass, I got out on the road...8 miles easy was on the GOH plan for today but my legs were pretty tired (and felt a small bit guilty being away from the family) so said I'd tip away with it and maybe call it a day at 7 miles. Very few cars on the road and of course the village was dead as could be. Around 5 miles in I said I'd leave it at the 7 miles for the day and set my bearings for home. All done in 1:04:15 @ 9:11min/mi.

Tuesday 26-12-2017

10 miles on the plan for today, after a day off shopping in Baghdad (aka Kildare Village) I was fairly tired at home this evening and was stalling something shocking before heading out for my run. I had my gear on for a good half an hour before getting out the door. I even stopped for a quick game of snakes and ladders with my wife and daughter before getting out. I said I’d do 10K at worst/probably not the full 10 miles but in the end I did 8 miles in 1:13:23 @ 9:10min/mi. Pretty cold out so got to try out some nice Puma (Boltpack) leggings that my sister got me for Christmas. Usain Bolt has never trained for a 50K though!

Will catch up a bit on the log but do a 2017 wrap / 2018 plans another time when I've given it a bit more thought.

Wednesday 27-12-2017

10x800mi intervals with jog 400mi recoveries was up for today, unfortunately this was also a day of packing an absolute car load of toys etc and getting back home way too much later than would have liked. I was informed by my good wife that I wasn't going running as it was too late / too windy. Tbh I was exhausted and was happy with the excuse so that was that, first and only run missed over the Christmas period.

Thursday 28-12-2017

7 mile easy run for today, wondered should I do the missed session from the previous day but with a long tempo run up for tomorrow I just did the easy run on Thursday evening. 7mi in 1:05:19 @ 9:20min/mi.

Friday 29-12-2017

9.5 mile tempo on the plan, completed as per that....broken down as:

1mi w/u in 9:2 @ 9:22min/mi
    9.5mi in 1:18:02 @ 8:13min/mi...pushed the boat out a bit on the last two miles of this also getting down to between 10K&HM pace.
    0.5mi c/d in 4:56 @ 9:45min/mi

Pretty happy with that.

Saturday 30-12-2017

Free day as per plan.

Sunday 31-12-2017

Plan for the day had 16.5 mile (12 mile easy, last 4.5 mile faster) but I had a different idea. Won an entry to a 5K race in Tralee which had a fast course but decided I'd work some easy miles in before the race (I only had time for 4) and then do some more afterwards on tired legs (to bring me up to 13.1miles for the day and also a roundish total mileage for year). I am not in pb nick for the 5K so figured I'd try run it hard but not so hard I wouldn't do the 5/6 miles afterwards.

4mi easy in 37:05 @ 9:15min/mi
    Optimal Fitness 5K Race in 22:25 @ 7:06min/mi (my pb for 5K is 21:41 from back in April)
    6mi easy in 55:27 @ 9:14min/mi

The race went well, I enjoyed it much more than I do a normal 5K and was chatting over the first 2 miles to a few people including the mom of a current high flying Kerry girl who was leading the women and was in second place overall in the race. I am sure she didn't need me to say it but I told her she's a class act and should be very proud (she thanked me and then thanked me after the race said I'd given her good motivation which was nice). Coming into the last mile I said I'd see if I could catch a few people, I got maybe 3 people so and over the last 500 metres the 10K race merged into the same route (we merged with 37/38 min 10K runners) so I gave a good gee up roar to a fella I know (he's paced me at a few events) to push it on a bit. We had a good laugh about it afterwards and he said I'd helped, it was nice to have a roll reversal for a change!!
    Splits for the race were 7:15, 7:19, 6:49, 6:21 (pace over the 0.1mi).

Total mileage for the week: 46.1 miles

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 9

Monday 01-01-2018

Happy new year to you all!

Instead of doing the 10K race in Beaufort I've done for the last few years I said I'd do the parkrun double day instead with Listowel at 9am and Tralee at 11am. Even managed to go do some grocery shopping in between which was handy. I had 8 miles easy on the plan for the day so I did warmups before each run to get the mileage in.

1mi warm up in 10:32 @ 10:25mi/mi
    Listowel parkrun 5K in 24:34 @ 8:10min/mi

0.8mi warm up in 8:03 @ 10:01min/mi
    Tralee parkrun 5K in 24:10 @ 7:47min/mi

Excellent atmosphere at both events and was very happy I went to do them, didn't seem such a nice idea when I got up at 7:30am on my last day off work but once you're up it's grand.

Tuesday 02-01-2018

8 miles easy up for today, due to the storm I ended up doing my run on the treadmill and left it at 10K as was going to circuit training at my AC with my wife later.
    Treadmill 10K in 1:00:21 @ 9:35min/mi.

1hr 15mins of circuit training after that, haven't done this for quite a few months but it was good fun. Not likely to be making this too often but we've inhouse babysitters this week with family staying with us so took advantage of that.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 03-01-2018

15x35 hill reps for today, this worked out as 4 miles in 38:18. How I approached this was I did a 10 min warm up and then at suitable hill tried to get down to low 7 min/mi (5K pace) for 35 secs before jogging back down the hill for a minute and going again...finished with 5 min easy cool down. Tiring enough stuff but got them done to plan. Quite a cold evening so wary overcooking it and pulling something but went okay.

Thursday 04-01-2018

8 mile easy on for today, 8 mile easy in 1:13:51 @ 9:14min/mi completed after work.

Friday 05-01-2018

In two minds for Fri/Sat/Sun, I am thinking to take the second half of next week's plan (which has a hm race on Saturday) and do that this weekend instead. I'd have the same mileage in my legs if it was this time next week albeit with a midweek tempo run in place of the hill reps I have done. Marathon Club Ireland are hosting an event in Listowel tomorrow morning with a half and full marathon on offer. I think I might give the half marathon a go (not a pb attempt!) and then do a 90min easy run on Sunday as per next weekend's plan. That means this weekends proposed plan with the 6 mile on Sat and the 19.5 mile on Sunday will go to next weekend instead.
    Today had a 10 mile tempo run on but it's going to become a rest day instead with the race tomorrow now.

Saturday 06-01-2018

So I went with the half marathon in Listowel instead of the 6 mile easy, first time attending a MCI event and I did enjoy it.
    I used the event as a dry run for Donadea in regards what I was wearing and had a bag at the start/finish area that I could pick and drop stuff as needed (this was very very handy to have).
    Arrived over to the event about 45 mins before the scheduled start time and it was freezing cold so had layered up to keep warm. Was trying to decide what to wear for the race and went with a singlet, baselayer, hat and gloves.
    I met a friend before the race and he asked me what did I expect from the race, I said I didn't know but my pb is 1:40 so I guess maybe 1:45 or something like that but that I was planning to run it an even effort and see how it went. We had to do 14 laps of the park to get the half marathon distance in (and they were bang on with the measurement on that, they told us before we started that each lap was 0.94 or 0.96 of a mile...can't recall which but 14 laps gave me 13.12mi for the run). There is a tough enough climb on the lap so hitting that each time was fun but good practice for when hills seem to grow as fatigue starts to increase.
    Mentally I found this interesting, I had my phone in my pocket and earphones too if needed but I didn't...kinda zoned out a good bit which was nice and just trundled the laps down...even lost count at times but with only 14 to do it wasn't too bad unlike the full runners who had 28 to do. I did have to stop for a min after 4-5 laps to stick on some bodyglide on the underside of my upper arms. I had started the race with the baselayer on under my singlet but I warmed up very quickly, the hat was off after a lap or so and the gloves after another few laps and then a bit later I managed to take off the singlet and base layer whilst running downhill and got the singlet back on without disrupting the bib too much (good oul magnets). After a lap with just the singlet (and a new singlet at that) I could feel the chafing starting so made the call that rather than another 9-10 laps of that I'd stop for 30-40 seconds and get the stuff on...much happier I did and instant sorting out. Normally when running with just a singlet I do have the stuff on but I didn't plan on changing as figured with the temperature the coldness would persist.

In the end I actually came home in 1:51 but I finished the last laps strong getting down to proper half marathon pace so I had plenty left in the tank and would have had a much better time on a flatter course. I was 6th out of the 17th half marathon runners on the day so happy with that as well. Definitely recommend an MCI event if there's one near you, handy way to get the mileage in.

Total mileage for the event was 14.1 miles with 0.5 miles w/u before and 0.5 miles afterwards.

Sunday 07-01-2018

No chance was I going to do the 19.5 miles today so I went with the planned 90min easy run that was down for next week's weekend which had a half marathon on the Sat. Heading into town with my wife who was going to Mass with our daughter, I ran in most of the way and then a loop around Tralee before meeting them at the shops. Grand way to get the mileage in without disrupting the order of the day. That worked out as 10 miles in 1:32:53 @ 9:17min/mi. It was a bit icy underfoot on some of the sections in the town and had one slide/slip, thankfully managed to catch an esb pole which was nicely positioned to save me getting slap off the ground.

Total mileage for the week: 50.3 miles

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 10

Monday 09-01-2018

The GOH 4 hour plan had a session on for today but I was not feeling 100 percent and a bit stiff around the calves so decided to can it.
    For the record it was, 1 mile @ 10K/90 sec rest, 7 mile @ hm/45secs, 1mile @ 5K. I met with a local running group and just did a short easy run of 4 miles in 37:07 @ 9:16min/mi. Ran with a clubmate who was there, hadn't seen her for a few months so good catch up. Some calf work when I got home after that and all seemed well.

Tuesday 10-01-2018

7 miles easy on the plan for tonight but I decided to get a session in here instead and possibly take a rest day or at most easy day on Wednesday as busy with coaching that evening. I'm holding steady at 50-55 miles a week at the moment and not planning to go much higher in this plan (barring maybe the longer weekend run) so jigging things to suit me with 1-2 sessions a week. So I took 10 mile tempo run from Wednesday and changed that to 1 mile warm up, 8 mile tempo and 1 mile cool down.

This executed as:
    1mi w/u in 9:54 @ 9:49min/mi
    8mi tempo in 1:04:33 @ 8:05min/mi
    1mi c/d in 9:36 @ 9:33min/mi

This felt tough enough (plenty of fatigue in the system and my daughter keeps getting up at night at the moment so sleep not the best quality with that) but the session didn't look too bad on the HRM side of things, my head torch started to die with about 3-4 miles left in the session so helped to keep the pace up to make sure I got home before that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

diego_b wrote: »

Monday 09-01-2018

The GOH 4 hour plan had a session on for today but I was not feeling 100 percent and a bit stiff around the calves so decided to can it.
    For the record it was, 1 mile @ 10K/90 sec rest, 7 mile @ hm/45secs, 1mile @ 5K. I met with a local running group and just did a short easy run of 4 miles in 37:07 @ 9:16min/mi. Ran with a clubmate who was there, hadn't seen her for a few months so good catch up. Some calf work when I got home after that and all seemed well.

Tuesday 10-01-2018

7 miles easy on the plan for tonight but I decided to get a session in here instead and possibly take a rest day or at most easy day on Wednesday as busy with coaching that evening. I'm holding steady at 50-55 miles a week at the moment and not planning to go much higher in this plan (barring maybe the longer weekend run) so jigging things to suit me with 1-2 sessions a week. So I took 10 mile tempo run from Wednesday and changed that to 1 mile warm up, 8 mile tempo and 1 mile cool down.

This executed as:
    1mi w/u in 9:54 @ 9:49min/mi
    8mi tempo in 1:04:33 @ 8:05min/mi
    1mi c/d in 9:36 @ 9:33min/mi

This felt tough enough (plenty of fatigue in the system and my daughter keeps getting up at night at the moment so sleep not the best quality with that) but the session didn't look too bad on the HRM side of things, my head torch started to die with about 3-4 miles left in the session so helped to keep the pace up to make sure I got home before that happened.

Probably not too much harm done in making that decision, more than likely better if anything. Well executed HM on Saturday, keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Monday 09-01-2018
    For the record it was, 1 mile @ 10K/90 sec rest, 7 mile @ hm/45secs, 1mile @ 5K.

Definitely think you made the right call. That's the kind of session that you would leave a goal race at. Fair play you have been sensible in how you have approached training.

Fair play you have a good block done since the marathon. Not too far now

Probably not too much harm done in making that decision, more than likely better if anything. Well executed HM on Saturday, keep up the good work.

Thanks J, that's what I figured for what I have to maybe gain from it I definitely had more to lose. The startline is a month away so just have to get there now.
    Definitely think you made the right call. That's the kind of session that you would leave a goal race at. Fair play you have been sensible in how you have approached training.

Fair play you have a good block done since the marathon. Not too far now

Thanks L, maybe if I'd not had a slight feeling I might have tried it but the fatigue is/was in the body anyways. I have to be mindful as well that the plan I'm following is a 4 hour plan...I'll do very well to get within 30-40 mins of that I think so there's a few sessions here and there that maybe are not quite appropriate for me (yet). Hopefully so, the higher mileage is not causing too many issues yet so been nice to keep up a much higher avg base for the future.

Wednesday 10-01-2018

On the plan was 10 mile tempo @ hm pace but given I did a tempo run on Tuesday evening I had decided this was either going to be a full rest day or else some easy miles but would make a call in the evening. After juvenile coaching from 6-8pm, the heavens had opened up so that tipped the balance towards a rest day. So I just did some calf work and core work whilst enduring Fair City (my wife watches it, why oh why).

Thursday 11-01-2018

Free day on the plan but having taken one yesterday and the tempo run on Tuesday I decided on 8.5 mile easy run. This was done after work in 1:19:44 @ 9:23min/mi.

Friday 12-01-2018

This week's plan had a 3 mile easy run on for tonight but that is based on a half marathon in the morning (did that last Saturday). Last week's plan had a 10 mile tempo which I didn't do due to the hm. Horrible weather conditions down here but the treadmill showed it's merit and just did 10K easy in a bit over an hour on it watching Black Mirror (really loving this series, only caught onto it a few weeks back when I heard of the Star Trek episode they did so watched that back then and now watching it all...brilliant stuff). Rest of the weekend will have me do 3-4 miles easy in the morning and going to tackle the 19.5 mile run from last week's plan (if I get there in comfort I am sure I'll hit 20 as how could you stop at 19.5, it's like stopping at 87mph).
    Will be back on proper plan next week all going well as kinda mish mashing a bit between 2 half weeks but basing it my mileage target for the week so not too hard to work out.

2017 wrap up

Distance|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017|Notes
    3K|-|-|-|-|12:26|Set on the track during Kerry Athletics T&F Championships in April
    5K|28:26|22:55|22:50|21:30*|21:41|Set this one week after the Tralee marathon during the Kerry Road championships and have it as my true pb on an accurately measured course. Silver medal for o35 male :-)
    4M|-|-|-|29:16|28:31|Set during Munster Road Championships in April
    5M|-|-|39:36|38:10|36:25|Set in Raheny in Jan, expect I could break that next time out
    10K|-|48:16|47:15|46:21|46:02|Ran this time twice last year how annoying and it's one I hope to break for sure this year
    10M|-|-|1:26:20|1:18:52|-|Didn't race any 10 milers in 2017 but on my GPS I recorded 1:16:11 during Run Killarney HM, have to do that at a race at some stage to get an official time
    HM|-|1:59:39|1:50:34|1:43:43|1:40:23|Broken 3 times this year, current time set in Charleville when going for sub 1:40, but I think I paid a heavy price in DCM training with a disrupted week before and after this race
    M|-|-|4:12:54|3:57:34|3:43:41|I set this in Tralee in March and went for sub 3:40 in Dublin and come home in 3:54:34 when the wheels came off. I have kept my paceband from that race for 2018
    Total Mileage|176|333.00|846.30|1127.26|1450.10|

Races on the cards:
    Raheny 5 Mile (Jan)
    Donadea 50K (Feb)
    Kerry Road Championships 5K (End of March)
    Possibly Cork City HM (June)
    DCM 2018 (October)

All going well on the injury front and running a higher average weekly base mileage even off training plan I'd hope to hit 2000 miles. I am hopeful of making some good gains off the back of the 50K training for Donadea but need to match the endurance work then with some speed training. I think I can make some improvements across most distances above but it has become apparent to me that I might have plateaued on 5-10K distances so possibly will look to do a proper training cycle for either those or a hm between Donadea and Dublin training.

Thanks for reading, the kudos, thumbs up, support and advice through last year and best wishes to you all for training and racing in 2018.

Saturday 13-01-2018

The GOH 4 hour plan had 6 mile easy on the plan for today (well last weekend) but with an eye to my total mileage target for the week and the long run on Sunday I left it at 4 mile easy in 36:55 @ 9:13min/mi before heading into town with my wife and daughter. Took a pretty easy day and we caught Coco in the cinema in the afternoon, it made my daughter cry in a nice way. Bit of a heartmelter when you see that happen.

Sunday 14-01-2018

On the plan for today was 19.5 mile (broken down as 15 mile easy and 4.5 fast...I was going to do 20 miles of course), this was going to be my longest run since DCM. Had a lie in this morning which was nice and did a few little jobs around the house before getting out for my run after 12pm. I figured it was no harm doing a long run a bit later into the afternoon given that we start the 50K at 10pm so I'll still be running at 2:30pm and hopefully done by 3pm!! Today I didn't finish my run till 3:15 or so. I took in the village nearest to me, ran to it (just under 3 miles), left a drop bag in the ditch with a gel, orange, banana, some drinks and a dry t-shirt if I wanted it (rain was coming) and took in 5 x 3 mile ish laps and then was heading for home on the faster part of the run against the wind for 3 miles or so. I practicised some a fueling strategy using shot bloks every 3 miles, a gel at 10 miles and a salt stick every 5 miles...seemed to work fine. The shot bloks break up the gel taking a bit as I've only ever managed 5 gels in total in a marathon and would be forcing down the last then so thinking of maybe 3/4 for the 50K and a packet of shot bloks too. Did gear practice today as well with shorts, socks, runners, flipbelt today and all seem fine.

I've been doing some reading this week of around Jan/Feb 2017 (and race reports) of Younganne and Murph_D's training for Donadea last year. One section of doubts summarised by from Anne back towards the end of Jan last year caught my eye when reading it and I ended up recalling the sentiment today as around 11/12 miles in the rain came in and the wind whipped up and I felt I was starting to struggle a bit.
    "I believe in myself and my ability to complete this and all these doubts are normal!!" Younganne Jan 26th 2017.
    Thanks for that!

It was quite enjoyable when I hit 18 miles and found myself with a little kick even into headwind with rain....mile 18 and 19 being my fastest miles today with 8:49s on the watch. Mile 20 would have been faster only half of it was cool down.

The run broke down as:

15mi easy in 2:17:52 @ 9:12min/mi
    4.5mi fast in 40:06 @ 8:55min/mi
    0.5mi cool down in 5:07 @ 9:57min/mi

20 miles in total in 3:03:05

Total mileage for the week: 52.7 miles

No idea of training for the week ahead yet as it's not been posted yet but working in Dublin on Mon and Tues (up at 5:30 in the morning for a flight up so that's a bit ugh) but all going well will get some easy miles in tomorrow evening after work.

• Advertisement

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 11

Monday 15-01-2018

Poor nights sleep as always seems to be the case before I fly, always anxious I won't wake up for the flight in the morning so hence I wake up every hour or two throughout the night. Fair annoying regular habit I've had for years.
    After work I just missed a bus so rather than wait 20 mins for the next one (bus takes about an hour to make the journey out to Clondalkin) I figured I'd get the Luas out from town and walk to my brother's place from the Red Cow. Good walk that, about 5K but thankfully the wind and rain held off for 35/40 mins it took. I had ideas about running when I got there before going to the pub with him to watch the match but with a bit of tightness in the calf I figured the walk might ease things out and drop the run.

Tuesday 16-01-2018

4x3 miles @ hm pace with 3 mins recovery on the plan for today, I was still feeling the calf a small bit so headed into work early with the plan to run before work. Bloody bus took an age getting into town from Clondalkin (have tried a few different buses and all take ages) so only had time to do a short 4 mile run...easy pace in 37:18 @ 9:18min/mi. Back home to Kerry that icing, bumpy enough flight and even worse road conditions with snow/sleet for the 45 min drive home from Farranfore. Happy to be home but tired.

Wednesday 17-01-2018

6 mile easy run on for tonight but instead it was a physio visit to address calf issues for me. Thankfully nothing too much to worry about and cleared to run that evening if I wished but I was pretty sore after the work he did so decided to take another day off just to let things settle. This niggle is something I noted with him that I think has come up late in the last few marathon training cycles I've done so just wear and tear really. I can offset it somewhat by actually stretching and foam rolling...something I have become awful with in the last 12-18 months so will get back to doing that now after runs and hopefully help things.

Thursday 18-01-2018

8 mile easy on the plan for tonight and completed as per plan. First mile I took nice and easy and despite being half downhill was over 9:30min/mi. Calf felt fine so settled into normal pace after that and no issues throughout or after thankfully. 8 mile in 1:14:47 @ 9:20min/mi.
    Got absolutely pelted with hailstones in the last 500meters or so from home, face stinging horribleness! New being a good boy stretches employed after the run.

Friday 19-01-2018

7 mile easy/30 rest/1 mile at 10K pace, ending up doing 8 miles at a fastish easy pace...it was all conversational so effort was about right I figure. I went and met a local running group planning to do one lap of a 4 mile route with them and then do it in reverse myself. As it turned out after the first lap a mate of mine who runs the group said he'd run another lap with me so that was grand with me and the time flew. 8 miles in 1:11:30 @ 8:56min/mi. Plenty of stretches when I got back home after this.

Saturday 20-01-2018

Free day on the plan so going to take it instead of trying to catch up mileage ahead of tomorrow's long run.

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 11

Sunday 21-01-2018

21.5 mile (17 mile easy, last 4.5 faster...that's how I look at the training plan anyways as the times quoted have been for a 4 hour 50K runner).

Left this till almost 12pm again on Sunday, meant an extra hour or so in the bed and also the weather was woeful. Figuring I'd be out there for 3 hours and getting soaked within the first few minutes was not going to help things. I wore a running jacket throughout and even the few times I got a bit wet with rain the wind was sufficient to dry me off whilst I was tipping away. Used the same local loop as last week but in reverse and this time I finished on the loop so I did 6.5 almost 5K laps. Each lap meant a mile into a strong headwind, this was taxing enough at times but just focused on the effort and not fight it or drive into it too.

My nice wife collected me when I finished which was great. Practiced fueling strategies again, so happy enough with taking a shot blok every 3 miles and a gel maybe every 6/7 miles (have to decide that but four will be enough on the day I think). I had some flat Coke in my drop bag to try out after 17 miles as per Neady's suggestion a few weeks back...not bad at all now in fairness and it went down fine. Maybe it helped me to a good finish over the fast 4.5 miles.

The run worked out as:

17mi in 2:38:18 @ 9:19min/mi
    4.5mi in 39min @ 8:40min/mi (this appeared as a progression run almost with each mile getting faster...8:39, 8:50 into a head wind, 8:41, 8:34, 8:19 pace for the half mile) so looks like I had plenty left in the tank at the end.
    My wife asked me how I was when I got back into the car and said I was grand, head a bit jaded from running but otherwise fine. Good bit of stretching when I got home then and all is well.

21.5 miles in 3:17:18

Total mileage for the week: 41.5 miles, down from the general 50mpw target but with the physio apt and two missed runs I actually feel better coming off that week rather than if I'd ploughed on for the mileage target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

21.5 mile (17 mile easy, last 4.5 faster...that's how I look at the training plan anyways as the times quoted have been for a 4 hour 50K runner).

21.5 miles in 3:17:18

You're in mighty shape for Donadea Diego, you're training has been impeccable and you've really stuck to the plan, I'm really impressed.

Really looking forward to meeting you :) I'll very much be waddling around and hoping not to be swept up by the 5 hour pacer :D ... training has been done but very much in an ad hoc way.

Neady83 wrote: »

You're in mighty shape for Donadea Diego, you're training has been impeccable and you've really stuck to the plan, I'm really impressed.

Really looking forward to meeting you :) I'll very much be waddling around and hoping not to be swept up by the 5 hour pacer :D ... training has been done but very much in an ad hoc way.

Thanks Neady, hopefully so now and looking forward to meeting you too. The plan has been okay to manage (working life at time around 2-3 short/8 mile midweek runs has been fun) but I would have liked to have been able to work some more pace work midweek with it but happy with the mileage to date and things not creaking too much!

My wife asked me on Sunday could I have ran the distance “today” and I said I think so. Two more laps and I’d have gone past the marathon distance. I need to be careful on the pace side of things on the day I think, I’m thinking on starting off at 4:40 pace (9min/mi) and working from there and finish somewhere in the 4:30s all going well.

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 12

Monday 22-01-2018

8 mile easy on the plan for today, thankfully no issues coming off the back of my long run yesterday. Ended up doing this run in two parts, first half with my wife as part of local running group and the second part on my own as I ran home / she drove.

7.5 miles in total broken down as:

3.87mi in 49:30 @ 12:46min/mi
    3.63mi in 35:20 @ 9:43min/mi

Tuesday 23-01-2018

Another 8 miles easy on for tonight, I had a meeting I had to attend to at 7:30 so needed to get out the door just after 5 to get the run door and dinner eaten. 8.5mi in 1:19:13 @ 9:19min/mi.

Wednesday 24-01-2018

The GOH 4 hr plan had the following on for tonight, 3 x 3 miles @ hm pace with 1/2 mile recovery between each. I had two hours juvenile coaching from 6-8pm so now time to this kinda of a session like this. Ended up doing a run on the treadmill instead.

Treadmill 5 miles (1mi w/u, 3mi @ hm pace, 1mi c/d) in 43:02

Thursday 25-01-2018

Yet another meeting to attend to this evening after work (this week has been the worst in ways to try get runs in), meant not enough time for 8 miles easy so just did 6mi in 56:21 @ 9:23min/mi after work.

Friday 26-01-2018

Originally this week was going to have me racing the Raheny 5 miler on Sunday but that got scotched on Friday evening. My family in Laois has been struck down with a stomach bug and with two weeks before the 50K I am going nowhere near them!! Tbh I was glad of the excuse in ways as whilst I really like the race in Raheny not least because I get to meet many familiar faces from here and up that end of the country in general I didn't fancy yet another late evening on Sunday evening getting back down here.
    The plan for Friday had a progression run on it so decided to scotch it and take a rest day (next planned one not till next Thursday) and stick to the plan for the rest of the week with 8 miles easy on Sat and then 22 miles on Sunday (we'll see on that but will get up to 20 again anyways).
    Did some calf work watching tele and then some core exercises as well.

Saturday 27-01-2018

Another 8 miles easy on for today, did this around 12pm after catching up on some housework this morning. Small bit of exploring with some new routes to keep the brain sweet. 8mi in 1:14:16 @ 9:17min/mi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Shame about Raheny, but you're keeping the main thing the main thing! The social side of Raheny is a shame to miss alright. Your training has been great - looking forward to seeing how you do at Donadea, but also how you'll build on this in 2018!

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »
    Shame about Raheny, but you're keeping the main thing the main thing! The social side of Raheny is a shame to miss alright. Your training has been great - looking forward to seeing how you do at Donadea, but also how you'll build on this in 2018!

Thanks B, indeed and would you believe the race didn’t cross my mind at all till I came back home from my own run this afternoon. Felt I got more out of today with the run and didn’t fancy the trip up and down. Ta, will take a week off after Donadea and then decide on what to target before DCM training. Part of me would like to do a good bit of 5K work and another part of me wants to properly train for a half marathon in June maybe....hopefully break some softish pbs along the way.

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 12

Sunday 28-01-2018

22 mile easy on for today. After two consecutive nights of disturbed sleep from my daughter...does she not understand us runners need our sleep!!

Anyways a few bits and pieces to do this morning at home before going out to run at almost 12pm again / very understanding wife in fairness but she knows the end (for now) is near soon! I had half an idea to drop the laps today and do some more exploring...chatted with my wife about it and she said she was going to suggest the same. I feel I’ve more than ticked the box with the laps stuff over the last two months with my long runs so this was to be going to be my reward as such. Meant I would need to carry some/more supplies with me. Fishing out my running backpack with hydration bladder from the shed and loaded it with what I wanted. High 5 Zero, home made flapjack, some gels even though planned to try use more real food, an orange, running jacket / hat / gloves and a very small bottle of coke for 16/17 miles in. Haven’t used the bag since last summer since Dingle Adventure Race so said I’d run in the general (few miles) away of my local loop I’ve used for the long runs so if it annoyed me I could drop it in a ditch and go looping again!
    Thankfully the backpack was grand and no chafing at all from it though I doubt I could wear a singlet with it. Also had to tuck my t-shirt into my shorts or else it would keep riding up. Feel a bit silly having to do that but less so than the wardrobe malfunction with my top otherwise.
    I also worn a different pair of runners (Nike Pegasus) that I do a lot of my easy runs in. Wanted to do that so I have an alternative pair for race day. My normal Kinvaras that I use in races won’t be used in Donadea as I think the surface has some gravel on spots and they are not hugely comfortable on that of surface. With the Pegasus’s they are grand on that sort of stuff. No blisters so happy with that but could feel not so much room in the toe box but that’s to be expected as even though they are half a size bigger than my normal Saucony Breakthru’s....they actually probably need to be half a size bigger again for the very long stuff. Will do as alternatives on the day if needs be.
    Sipped on my drink throughout the run, getting through half a litre out of the 1 litre I was carrying in the bag. Took two shot blocks, one at 7 and one at 14 miles with my flapjack in between. Took a few salt tabs on the run as well.
    Very happy with how the run went, it got a bit tough after 13 miles when I had a few miles of steady uphill and then turning into the wind. But I held the pace and effort fairly well. Funny how it goes, mile 20/21 was tough but mile 22 was grand out even with the last climb towards home...keeping the head in check I find so important with the longer and longer distances.
    Feel a bit victorious now after a 20, 21.5 and 22 mile long run in the last three Sundays with the last two ones being my longest ever training runs. So with that the taper begins and next weekend has a nice sedate 14 miles at race pace (pace to be decided upon).

22 miles in 3:23:14 @ 9:14min/mi.

Total mileage for the week: 56 miles

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 13

Almost one week till Donadea Day!

Monday 29-01-2018

The GOH 4 hour plan had a 10 mile easy run on for the cards and being honest after the 22 miler I didn't hugely feel like running. That and a lovely daughter that keeps ensuring broken sleep at the moment so fairly tired. I just met up with a local running group in the evening and did 4.5mi in 41:08 @ 9:09min/mi.

Tuesday 30-01-2018

8 mile easy up for today, I was caught for time so only could fit in 7.5 miles in 1:10:15 @ 9:22min/mi. The last few miles were pretty horrible with a head wind and nasty stinging rain. Fairly well soaked and freezing cold from it.

Wednesday 31-02-2018

3 x 2 mile in 10K pace with 1/2 mile recovery between each for today. With two hours juvenile coaching after work and a poxy United game I wanted to watch I hadn't time to get this one in. No harm to bring forward the days rest from the plan a day early. Did some calf exercises and core work watching the game.

Thursday 01-02-2018

Rest day today but I did the session from yesterday instead. On the treadmill 6.5 miles (1mi w/u, 2x2mi @ 10K pace with 0.5mi recovery, 1mi c/d) in 56:04.

Friday 02-02-2018

6 miles easy on the plan for today so I just did 10K on the Treadmill.
    It took a few seconds over the hour (takes me a min or two to warm up to even easy pace running at 7:30 in the morning. It was just easy pace effort throughout with varying incline. Watched another episode of Black Mirror running this, such a brilliant show.

Over the last few days I've been thinking a bit about the pace I would like to run at in Donadea, I've not really focused too much of it so far in training as pace work was generally run 5K/10K/HM effort...on the long runs majority of them was at easy pace and when required to the last 4/5 miles faster I always could (varying last sectors averages of my runs between 8:55-8:20 over the course of the training).
    Sunday's long run has 14 miles at race pace on it so whilst the mileage is not an issue I think running that too fast less than a week out before the race might not be a good idea. On the day I am hoping to run the distance in between 4hr 30 (8:40min/mi) and 4hr 40 (9min/mi). On race day inclined to start off at 9min/mi and work with that....it will mean being between pacers all going well. I am not too hung up on the time and don't want to f it up but don't want to sandbag it either! For Sunday coming I think running circa 9min/mi for the long run should suffice...comments welcome here!!

Saturday 03-02-2018

5 miles easy on the plan for today, ended up doing just the 4 miles which I ran this with my wife in Tralee whilst my daughter was at her music theatre classs. 4mi in 44:46 @ 11:05min/mi. Got a nice smattering of hailstones in the 3rd mile but they were just the right size & force to not sting and not get wet from. If only that was always the case!

Sunday 04-02-2018

Woke up early enough so asked my daughter if she wanted to do the junior parkrun (she's not run it since November as she has so many activities at the moment we don't want her overload it with stuff and just let her do different things) and she jumped that chance. Very good temperatures in the park and they had gritted the surface, all was well underfoot though. In end she came home with a 40 second pb, She ran almost the full distance of the second lap, usually it's very stop/start with even more of that in the second half but she got around very well for her age. 1.2min in 15:20 @ 12:27min/mi.

After when I got home I then did my own run, there was 14 miles race pace on the run but I noted on Strava some fellow Donadea bound runners doing just the half marathon distance so said that would do me also.
    13.1mi @ 50K pace in 1:56:06 @ 8:52min/mi.

Total mileage for the week: 43 miles.

• Advertisement

Donadea 50K 2018 - Week 14

Monday 04-02-2018

6 mile easy on for today, after a half day to enable sufficient recovery from a late night watching the glorious super bowl. I was good and went to bed for 2-3 hours before hand and then sleep in from 4am till 10am so hopefully no damage done but I wasn't missing it. Being on the half day from work was handy as it meant I was able to get my run in before starting work at 1:30. 6mi easy in 56:12 @ 9:21min/mi.

Tuesday 05-02-2018

5 mile easy for today, did this after work....pretty uneventful barring it probably being the first mid week run after work (5pm) that I was able to do in complete daylight throughout. 5mi in 47:02 @ 9:23min/mi. I have gotten very accustomed to running in the darkness and having to layer up (still required at the moment anyways).

Wednesday 06-02-2018

Last run of the plan!!
    10min w/u, 2 x 1 mile in 10K pace with 1/2 mile recovery between each, 0.5mi c/d. Did this at lunchtime and it worked out as 4.1mi in 34:51 with 7:41, 7:26 for the pace intervals.

That wraps the training plan with a rest day on the plan for Thursday, there is mention of a 10 min jog on grass on Friday but we'll see about that as it'll be traveling on that day so suspect that will be canned.
    Until Saturday morning so to "do 10 laps and then f off" as I've seen it amusingly said!

Total mileage for the week: 15.1 miles
    Total mileage since DCM: 635 miles (619.9 of those on the GOH 4hr plan)

As it stands, I am planning to start off running 9min/mi (4:40 finish time pace) for the race and if things are going well I should be able to hold that pretty well and finish reasonably strong over the last 10 miles or so as it another venture into the unknown, this time going past 26.2 miles. All going well I should record a 4:3x time but the main thing for me is to run/manage the race well and ensure to get inside the 5hr cut off. I've never run the distance before and my last few longer races (DCM and Charleville half) have all ended up with a positive split due to trying to race a pace I was not able to sustain. I don't want to have another day like DCM 2017 and barring walking at the aid station I would like to run it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck - I hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Have a great day on Sat, D. Best of luck. Only 10 laps, be grand :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good luck Diego! Go crush it!

Best of luck - I hope it goes well for you.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Have a great day on Sat, D. Best of luck. Only 10 laps, be grand :D.
    nop98 wrote: »
    Good luck Diego! Go crush it!

Thank you kindly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck D, your training has gone really well so just need to go out confident and it will all come together for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck D!! I hope to be down at some point to support, as BG says, only 10 laps :D

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck D, your training has gone really well so just need to go out confident and it will all come together for you.

Thanks A, fingers crossed now. Looking forward to giving it a go, the coach in my club reminded me last night that "all" I have to do is finish within the cut off and I have the club 50K record. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't noted this well over a year ago when the female 50k record entry was added that the male entry was blank so said I fancy that!
    Best of luck D!! I hope to be down at some point to support, as BG says, only 10 laps :D

Nice one AM, you're very good! Absolutely the case, she nicely reminded me that and I won't forget it...even in my case I think do 5 and sure then do 5 more! I always have this thing about getting to halfway in any run, comes from the couch to 5K training 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

The very best of luck on Saturday D. I had planned to head over to Donadea to lend my support but unfortunately that seems unlikely now. Have a great race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck D. Some great training being logged/recorded.

• Advertisement

jake1970 wrote: »
    The very best of luck on Saturday D. I had planned to head over to Donadea to lend my support but unfortunately that seems unlikely now. Have a great race!
    Best of luck D. Some great training being logged/recorded.

Thanks lads, 24 hours from now I'll be running...looking forward to it and my wife tells me I don't seem as anxious as I did before DCM last year so that's a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

All the very best. I hope it goes great and you enjoy it. Great training.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Best of luck!
    aquinn wrote: »
    All the very best. I hope it goes great and you enjoy it. Great training.

Ta very much!

Best of luck D :) you've done phenomenal training, you just need to make it count.

I'm on the fence about running (antibiotics, steroids and chest infection) but I'll be there regardless so I'll cheer you on regardless :)

Neady83 wrote: »
    Best of luck D :) you've done phenomenal training, you just need to make it count.

I'm on the fence about running (antibiotics, steroids and chest infection) but I'll be there regardless so I'll cheer you on regardless :)

Thanks Neady, looking forward to it.
    Ooh that is a nasty dose now, not going to tell you what to do with it...hopefully you're good okay to run but mind yourself!
    See you tomorrow at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race tomorrow. Might see you at some stage!

Just under 4:34 for Diego today.

Well done D, you only got stronger with each loop, you raced it incredibly well. Delighted the plan paid dividends for you :) Really looking forward to the race report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Well done D!!! I'm sure you're delighted with that! BG is the person to ask how to clean the runners now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great time, D! Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Advertisement