Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

20M LSR done today in the company of some fine fellow novices, it was a pleasure to meet you all today.

My knee felt okay this morning so said I'd give the LSR a go, had 20 quid in my pocket and a plan that if my knee niggle went above 3/10 on the pain scale that I would call it quits. All the way up to 10 miles it felt fine but in the 11th mile then I started to feel tiredness a little bit and I was finding it a little bit hard for a bit to keep up with nop98, oirishfruitie & neilthefunkeone. I could feel a small twinge in my right calf but nothing bad so I was able to maintain pace if the effort was up a bit. We ran up heartbreak hill without issue...it was nice to run it with a bit more miles in my legs this time and felt it fine really. The nice downhill down to Stillorgan Rd was lovely, onto the N11 then I was deciding was it still 3/10 for the knee and it was. We had about 12 miles done and I said I'd assess again at 14miles, we bumped into denis_b and FeenaM then along with lurker Declan on the UCD flyover so we'd a nice group then. I decided to hang back a bit on pace then with Declan and we got down towards Ballsbridge....we were only a minute or two behind the others so was happy to keep them is sight to stay on track on the route. Declan decided to drop back then on the pace so I was on my own for a bit but thanks to traffic lights I caught up a bit of ground on the main group by the British Embassy. My knee was feeling fine at this point so I was glad that I continued when I was having doubts a few miles earlier.
    We ran then towards the finish area at Merrion Sq passing the Schoolhouse Pub near Mount St bridge, the pub where I meet my wife 10 years ago. Next time I see it I will be almost completed my first marathon!

Back onto the start of the DCM route and then onwards for the last 5 miles, the pace dropped significantly at that point. For myself I had been suffering a bit of an upset stomach for the duration of the run, I was out for food last night with some mates and a puck load of chicken was not a good idea ahead of today plus the crap food we ate playing poker last night. It was not a late night at all but not ideal preparation.
    This section was busy with plenty of road crossings, tight foot paths and tourists around St Patrick's Cathedral but we ploughed on. My knee thankfully at this stage was absolutely fine as was the calf from a good few miles earlier. My efforts on focusing on getting my knees up a bit more in my stride seems to have helped the loading I was normally putting through my knee.

The last mile then as we were running on the North Circular Road then and into the park was hard but every last mile or two on these LSRs are very tough but you get it done the best you can.

FeenaM had some lovely flapjacks for us when we got back to the car park and then we all shot the breeze for a few mins about our training and then the next few weeks to come. I look forward to seeing these nice people again on DCM day when I'm next back up in Dublin.

Thanks so much to Duffer247 and his daughter for the lovely pitstop at Bushy Park. Fingers crossed all is okay for you getting back into your training.

Odd thing happened to me when I was in my car and just out onto Parkgate St, as I was sitting in traffic for a min for some reason some of my emotions of the week passed came to head when I had genuine concern about what had happened with my knee and my DCM chances. Whilst my knee is not perfect and I am back to the physio on Wednesday it is in much better condition than it was last Wednesday morning. Ultimately I shed a few tears but it was out of joy as much as anything.
    I might also blame the slightly mournful singing of Danny O'Reilly and The Coronas that were on the radio for a few mins at the time but no matter I was just delighted to have completed my first ever 20 mile run.

Back down in Laois tonight at my parents place before going up to Naas tomorrow to pace my wife around a 10K race, the pace will be 11-12min/mi so grand recovery run and should leave me with 31 miles for the week which is not bad after the two missed sessions on Tues/Wed.

Distance 20M
    Avg pace 9:56m
    Avg heart rate 163bpm

9:41
    9:51
    9:34
    9:25
    9:46
    9:32
    9:42
    9:30
    9:35
    9:40
    9:49
    9:33
    9:57
    9:48
    10:42
    10:10
    10:41
    10:42
    10:56
    10:20

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How did you get on today diego?

Grand enough, was feeling fine this morning but after driving back up to Naas I was a bit stiff. Did a gentle warm up for the race and after two miles all stiffness was gone really. My knee had been iffy at the start but then like the run on Thursday evening, it just all loosened out and no pain. I was running with my wife at her pace so we went through 5K in 34mins approx but then she tired and with each K or so then followed included probably 20-30 secs walking. I couldn't say much as she's not really been training of much and it was who said I'd run with her. We ended up finishing the race around 1:12:47 I think.
    It was grand for a recovery run and helped boost my mileage for the week after the missed sessions earlier on.
    Annoying though between yesterday and today I got some small blisters around my toes. They should be gone in a day or two. Burst them all!
    The heat can be a killer for my feet sometimes.

Well done Mr & Mrs diego. Was hot alright. I was working till 2, and on a running hiatus, so missed it again. I think it'd be a much more forgiving run if they ran it the other way, downhill from the roundabout to almost the finish.

It would be for sure, it's not a fast course tbh either. You were directed across the road at different points as well (we were stopped to let cars off as well).... lot was actually ran on the footpaths. It was nice to do it though as we lived on the area for 7 years up till earlier this year.

• Advertisement

Been neglecting my training log since last week, was not feeling great about things with the sore knee but have seemed to have turned a corner this week. Pulling together some of my posts from the Novices thread to get back up to date.

Tuesday 29th September

Cut short tonight's planned 5 miles to 3 miles. It was sore from the off and didn't really ease much, also I was running without any strapping and was way too conscious of the discomfort. Physio visit in the morning!

Wednesday 30th September

Wasn't a happy bunny about that last night and still so so about it all today. Had the physio session this morning. It just looks like a wear and tear injury around the knee cap from the build up in mileage and running so often. 5 times a week since late June has been hard on the body and has found a weakness. He suggests the easy pace running has increased both my time on the ground in stride and combined with the increased mileage it's just wear and tear.

He thinks it's not a coincidence that it came about as the plan got to a peak. For now I am good to attempt to run but have to pull out if the pain is above 3/10. I am going to attempt to run later so we'll see, the strapping does help. He has advised anything classed as a recovery run (so tomorrow and Sunday's run on the boards plan) but done on the bike instead to maintain fitness. Back again next Wednesday so we'll see then, ultimately the issue won't go away without some rest (he is unsure how long but could be week/weeks) and then to build up the strength around the area. He is doing his best to ensure I can get to the start line but I am now worried.

Tried a run tonight but it was not right so stopped straight away and did 40mins on the exercise bike instead.

Thursday 1st November

50mins on the bike tonight, knee was starting to feel okay so said I'd hold off running till the weekend.

Saturday 3rd October

5 miles done this morning, first proper run since Tuesday so at least that was something.
    Knee felt 3/10 on the pain scale starting off. Eased after about 2 miles and pretty much held like that into the 5th mile where I could feel it a bit more. Had turned for home then anyways so stopped then as the watch hit 5 miles. Not willing to risk or push things with this at the moment so it'll be onto the bike over the weekend and then try 5 miles on Tuesday. The stride adjustments take a bit more effort so we'll see how that goes on the day, I have started to accept that there may be a bit of walking involved now but I really do no want a DNS for this!! Oddly for now it feels easier to run at mp range than easy pace range for the stride. My cadence is generally 180 and given that I cannot reduce that it seems with the higher knees/longer stride it's easier to go faster than slower.

Avg pace was 9:49 but the middle 3 miles were all around 9:30min/mi.

Sunday 4th October
    75 mins on the exercise bike, thank god for a tele to watch doing it.

Tuesday 6th October

5 miles in the bag this morning and feeling pretty pretty good before, during and after it.
    Avg pace was 9:22, in my marathon pace zone but to be honest I am finding it a lot more comfortable to run closer to 9min miles than 10min miles at the moment. I am not sure what the long term effect of this for the marathon is but I have to accept the pace I can comfortably run at. Hopefully at worst it means that when I tire during the race I may need to walk for a bit and then go again at the same pace running but this is a step into the unknown for me....bodly going where I have not gone before (I adore Star Trek so forgive the reference).

Splits
    9:35
    9:17
    9:16
    9:22
    9:21

Avg heart rate of 157.

Knee felt 0-1/10 on the pain scale this morning and as my lovely little daughter had the house awake at 6am I said I might as well do the run before work. Sitting down all day does not a happy knee make either I think.
    Knee got to 2/10 on the pain scale by mile 2 and then eased back, in the 5th mile it was actually at it's most comfortable. Oddly enough as well I think the pain has shifted slightly on the knee to the other side of the knee cap so not sure what that means but will find out at the physio tomorrow.

Wednesday 7th October

45mins on the bike, good episode of Deep Space Nine to get through it.

Thursday 8th November

Physio session went well this morning, he was happy with how my knee is holding up and the approach is working well so far.
    I will try for the 5 miles run tonight off the boards plan and fingers crossed it goes well. He has advised that I should try the 14 mile off the boards plan on Saturday but to do it near home (gonna be some fine 3-5mile loops going on) in case it gets irritating and then pull out
    After the marathon he expects that I will need 2-3 weeks off running but I will be starting a 6 week strength program around the issue during November and will hopefully address the issue for the long term. A lot of that will be based on my calves and getting a bit of pep in my step!
    Marking it down now, in my head between the long term endurance benefits from the marathon training and the strength work for my calves and gluts I will break 20mins for the 5K in 2016....current PB is 22:51 so we'll see!
    /notions

Later on....5 miles done, bit stiffer starting off but to be expected after sitting down all day. Avg pace was 9:05 with splits of 9:26, 9:01, 9:01, 8:52 (scared by a dog so little bit of acceleration, 9:05. Felt grand throughout, starting to get used to running at pace again. It does feel better on my knee, will try play around with it a bit on the 14m LSR to see if I can slow it a bit.

This morning I did a 14m LSR (14.1m...at my new faster pace) and it went grand. Was running with a mate from my club around the village I live and out into the countryside. Planned a route that I could opt out at 2miles, 6miles, 8miles if I was feeling the knee. After 8miles we ran an out and back section along the coast for 2miles out and the same back.
    It was grandest up to the 10th mile when it was probably tipping into a 3/10 range...interestingly enough I was running 9:40min/mi around then (noted it on the split time) and that bit slower causes me a problem but I upped my pace a little bit and that sorted it out. It's very odd this because I'm trying to balance a reasonable effort (without going too fast) but if I ease back my stride changes and the knee pain kicks in. Today's route had a good bit of up and down, nothing too major apart from the last half mile which is a huge downhill. Told my mate to drive on if he wished (he is a much faster runner than me, 1:32 hm PB I think he has) so he did, he laughed as he said his watch told him he got to 2.5min/K going down the hill, not sure what that is in miles but even with me being careful I still got down to almost 7min/mi on the thing! Overall average for today was 9:21. Avg heart rate was 163bpm.

Splits of
    9:32
    9:15
    9:09
    9:36
    9:17
    9:27
    9:24
    9:23
    9:40
    9:36
    9:21
    9:38 (cattle crossing the road)
    9:14
    8:30 (weeee down the hill)

4 miles easy completed tonight, knee felt grand throughout. Avg pace was 9:09 with splits of 9:25, 9:07, 9:03, 9:03.
    Tomorrow night I will 40mins or so on the bike and then run again on Thursday. For now I am avoided running consecutive days, the strategy has worked well for two weeks now so not going to change it.

I put the strapping on myself this evening before, the physio said I should practice doing it so he showed me how to do it last time I was in. For now I am only wearing it running and all is well. I take it off then, I hadn't heard of hypafix till this very thread less than a month ago, super stuff! For DCM day the physio is going to put it on on Friday before I travel up but just in case something goes wrong with it I am getting more confident that I can put it on pretty well myself.

I put 4 strips of hypafix (5cm wide) across my knee to act as a base and then the zinc oxide tape goes on on top, one piece about half way down the knee cap, then two pieces goes each side of the knee cap so it looks a bit like an upside down triangle.
    Interestingly I believe there's a decent placebo effect goes on with the tape, I wore it around the house with just the hypafix only on....it does nothing on it's own and yet my brain goes that feels better that way! Good oul stupid brain.
    Talked about the placebo effect with the physio and he thinks there is a certain amount to that for sure as some studies he said are unsure how much a small bit of tape can help a joint. But like myself he believes if the placebo effect works for then when not use it.

4m completed this morning before work, early morning runs are the business!
    Avg pace was 9:11 with splits of 9:12, 8:57 (I was motoring!), 9:16, 9:15.
    Knee felt grandest throughout, it's always at it's best in the morning time so bodes well for Monday week, yes Monday week people!

I didn't get to use the exercise bike last night as I went into Tralee on short notice but did a puck load of food shopping that should have me well covered for the next week. Planning on doing ridiculously little next week if I can.
    Also saw Sicario in the cinema, would recommend it.

Last LSR completed this morning, 8 miles as well. Decided to prep for it as if marathon day so wore what I'm actually going to wear on the day. Also decided to carry my full compliment of gels to see what that's like. Had to take them out of my gel belt about half a mile in as they felt too loose and I'd lost one. Stashed them in the pockets of my shorts and they were fine then. Tis what I normally do for a race. Carried a small bottle of water in my hand as well as I am not going to use a water belt on the day and carry a bottle from the stations if I want one. Again what I normally do in races, will have high 5 tabs with me as well to electrolyte the water....I have practiced this as well running before.
    Didn't feel 100% on the run to me be honest, just a bit tired (the post at 11:4x) last night shows a silly boy up too late. After about 5 miles I could feel my stomach a bit, was able to stay going but eating just as I was going out the door was not a good idea. Usually eat about an hour earlier than that so lesson learned.
    Pace was 9:23min/mi with splits of 9:13, 9:08, 9:19, 9:51 (walked for a min as mate was going to the jacks), 9:17, 9:27, 9:22, 9:29.

Overall feeling for the run was tiredness to be honest but hopefully that's just a bad run out of the system now. Better now than DCM day.

• Advertisement

3 miles done after work this evening, my plan for this week is to run 3 times. Tonight, Thursday and Sat. Probably 3miles each time and that will be it before DCM.
    Knee was a little bit so so starting off but that's my first run after work instead of before work for a week and I do notice the difference after sitting for most of the day. After half a mile I said I'll go to 1 mile and then call it, at 1 mile it was fine as I'd naturally speeded up.
    Thursday's run will be done before work and no work on Saturday!
    Avg pace was 9:21min/mi
    Avg bpm was 155

Splits (hardly worth it for 3 miles!!)
    9:30
    9:16
    9:18

Toenail Tuesday adhered too, all 10 toes counted for!

3m completed this morning before work, second last run before DCM day....one last run on Saturday and that's it.
    Avg pace was 9:01 so was a little bit too fast but felt like I was dealing with a good burst of adrenaline, will need to watch this on Monday.

Splits of:
    9:13
    8:57
    8:52

Last physio session tomorrow morning as well to get the strapping put on as well. Should be okay for Monday, the knee is holding steady for now.

Final training session done this evening, 3.1miles. Completed it around my parents home place (and mine for the first 18 years of my life) in Laois. Avg pace was 9min/mi with splits of 9:05, 8:44, 9:00.
    That's it now since starting the boards plan in June, just under 494miles and can hand on heart say I have enjoyed it for the most part, tough spots the last 2-3miles of each LSR but to be expected.
    As it stands planning to do it all again next year and my lovely wife is happy for me to go again at it!

My next run for Monday morning, gonna do the Dublin Marathon route. Planning to start at 9:10am...Anyone want to join me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Wishing you the very best diego, you've been such a positive part of the novice thread. You deserve a great run on top of all the training you've done. Don't forget to enjoy yourself! See you on the other side :)

Dubgal72 wrote:
    Wishing you the very best diego, you've been such a positive part of the novice thread. You deserve a great run on top of all the training you've done. Don't forget to enjoy yourself! See you on the other side

Thanks very much Dubgal, that's a very nice thing of you to say! I have really enjoyed it at all so much even in the tougher parts of training and there was a few moments especially with the knee that I was worried I might not make it. Never once did I say I don't want this so I know my head is in the right place!
    Feeling confident now and my energy stores seem to be well topped up with how I've felt on the last few shorter runs particularly this week.
    I can't say enough positive things about you in relation to all the work and advice in the thread, you have shared so much knowledge and so much of your time to me and all my fellow novices. A thousand thanks and many many more.

Looking forward to giving it a go now...que sera, sera!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Haven't had a look in here in a while. Delighted you're making the start line! All the training will make sure you do Kerry proud :-) best of luck, at least it's flatter than Ballyheigue!

JohnDozer wrote:
    Haven't had a look in here in a while. Delighted you're making the start line! All the training will make sure you do Kerry proud :-) best of luck, at least it's flatter than Ballyheigue!

Haha thanks John, the hills are but barely a flesh wound in comparison!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best Diego! Hope it all works out for you, enjoy the day and have a gud un!:)

All the best Diego! Hope it all works out for you, enjoy the day and have a gud un!

Thanks very much, appreciate the good wishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The very best of luck for tomorrow. You're almost a Graduate !

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote:
    The very best of luck for tomorrow. You're almost a Graduate !

Thanks very much, just the last little run tomorrow morning to go to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Hope you have the most enjoyable run tomorrow Diego, it's well deserved after all the training you've put in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good luck tomorrow, Diego! Hope to see you at the start, during, or at the finishline!

Neady83 wrote:
    Hope you have the most enjoyable run tomorrow Diego, it's well deserved after all the training you've put in

Thanks very much, looking forward to it!

nop98 wrote:
    Good luck tomorrow, Diego! Hope to see you at the start, during, or at the finishline!

Absolutely and wishing you the very best as well N! Feeling it will be a special day!

Best of luck tomorrow.

beertons wrote:
    Best of luck tomorrow.

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck tomorrow diego

yaboya1 wrote:
    Good luck tomorrow diego

Thanks yaboya, trying to keep it nice and calm this evening. Looking forward to giving it a go!

• Advertisement

Just a shortish note, delighted with today. It was everything I wanted and more. Nice surprise to meet Neil in the first mile and we ran a lot of the first half with each other, the company was great!
    The stupidly huge name on my top was such a good idea as it turned. Got my name called so many times today it was great, I knew first time out at this I would need a bit of a dig out throughout and Dublin delivered in spades! That with my wife and some friends (and Dubgal) being on route was great and gave me a great lift.
    I had a few wobbles with the emotions at times but nothing bad. I celebrated pretty big going over the start line (big moment to do that and wanted to savour it) plus the finish as well of course, had felt my right Achilles/calf start to have a few moments in the last mile but it held up as did the knee!
    Delighted to meet my fellow ex-novices in McGrattans and our legendary mentor, just made a better day even better!

Goal A when signing up for this was to run the marathon and that was what I did, delighted to have ran every single step. My target time of 4:05 was ambitious but I was on course at halfway but I knew I would be drifting a bit as to how I felt so really focused more on effort in keeping it even (feeling/HRM) and less on pace. The 4:10 pacers passed me in Clonskeagh as we came up towards Roebuck Road but given I knew they had gained 3mins on me since the halfway point I said I will stick to my own race rather than try hold onto them.
    Ended up finishing 4:12:54 and delighted with it.

Advertisement