Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Dublin City Marathon 2018 race report

TLDR
    Chip Time: 3:51:40 (predicted 3:52 on the DCM thread here but I started ahead of the 3:50 pacers with the plan to run my own race, if they passed me then so be it if I could keep ahead then a high 3:48-49).

So Goal A was 3:50 (p.b. is 3:43:41 so not at attempt at that), goal B of 3:54 (to still be faster than last year), goal C get around.

Distance: 26.2miles (26.53 on my GPS, exactly the same overrun for me this year...I need to study racing lines it seems...and again I went the long way around onto Leeson St for starters)
    Avg overall pace: 8:51min/mi (from DCM results for 26.2miles, my GPS gives 8:44min/mi for the distance it says I ran)
    Avg heart rate: 158bpm (max recorded was 174, 93% of max 188bpm)
    Training plan used: Running Shoes Guru plan (much adapted version due to restricted mileage of 20-25mpw)...4th time on the plan. Was originally looking at P&D or Hanson.

Actually really happy with that, I stopped for a comfort break for a second just after the 30K mark and the 3:50s went past me. I settled back into my pace but they moved up the road about a minute or so it seemed. I wasn't keeping my eye on them much to be honest. Struggled a bit around Clonskeagh where the pace dropped to 9:20s but managed to get my arse back in gear going up the UCD flyover and drove home my best from there passing people at a decent rate (unlike last year's run/walk at this stage). Last 3+ miles were 8:44, 8:35, 8:27, 7:44 (pace for half mile).

Preamble
    Expo on Friday, nothing to do on Saturday so took it very handy at my parents before hitting the road with my wife for the IBIS at the Red Cow. Decided on a hotel stay the night before this year instead and worked well for something that was booked the week before. Luas in the morning for the race so no fuss on parking/traffic, well wrapped up as thought it was going to be colder than it was. Walked the long way around getting into the baggage area, normally I come from Baggot St area but went down near Westland Row this time. Anyways just some extra walking, wasn't planning a warm up run so didn't mind. Caught up with some friends (alooof on the novices thread) doing their first marathons, spirits high which was great. Bag dropped without any fuss and into the green wave area. Bumped into three clubmates from home there so that was nice to have the company there right up to the start line. We actually seemed to be well up the wave this time, ahead of the 3:40 pacers but was not going to use any pacer this year I wasn't minding them too much. Wished each other well and 9:15 we were off.

Mile 1-3 (9:00, 8:20, 8:50)
    Really tried to focus on keeping this nice and easy this year, not chasing from the off seemed to help that. Just focused on quite enjoying first 10K or so of the race as was to be. Was on target with my pace band, second mile was fast but eased that for going through Stoneybatter. Felt strange to actually step back on pace at spots.

Mile 4-6 (8:49, 8:35, 8:42)
    Stopped for a second on Lord's walk to go for a pee to the side. All good. Met my wife at the same pace as usual just after mile 4. Had taken a water bottle at every second water station and kept them generally with my throughout. First gel at 5 miles.

Mile 7-9 (8:40, 8:28, 8:26)
    Crossed the 10K mark with 55:00 on my watch, 55:01 officially so progressing as planned really. Next few miles were fast as we turned after Myo's. Great support at Castleknock as always, chilling morning to be standing around so really appreciated the super support throughout the day.

Mile 10-12 (8:21, 8:40, 8:26)
    Got a great shout from the Raheny Shamrocks crew turning out of the park, KennyG and MrsMc calling me by my name was a nice highlight for me. Was feeling pretty good as the pace was probably picking up a bit. Felt I got through Ballyfermot and Inchicore in good shape. Have felt a bit leggy here in the past. Had a funny one in Kilmainham where a work colleague was out to support. Wasn't expecting to see him so gave me a nice boost when I just spotted him.

Mile 13-15 (8:36, 8:52, 8:50)
    Through the halfway point here, checked my watch and it was 1:54:45, I was ahead of where I expected to be by about a minute so I decided to ease back on the run out to Crumlin. Take a breather and then hopefully run the section through Terenure area in better nick then usual. Was having a bit of a Back to the Future style disappearing thing going on with pace band...the sweat had got into the band and it was literally disappearing by the mile but on the actual mile it was on. I wasn't too worried about it as said just keep going as I was as felt I had a good feel on things.

Mile 16-18 (8:47, 8:40, 8:59)
    Was thinking a bit about last year here and trying to remember where I dropped off the 3:40 pacers. Was just reiterating to myself that whatever I was going to do I was going to run it all this year. I just focused on my next checkpoint which would be seeing my wife again around the viaduct at Milltown. Took in the support a lot around here to help me pick it up at spots where I was struggling a bit. I could feel my left calf having to work a lot somewhere around mile 17, guess on the time it was actually mile 18 so eased a small bit as thought a cramp might be coming. Also was really feeling the need to need to do a number 1. It was just after the 30K mark I stopped for a second to go for a pee again (nice leafy street that...the things you get away with on race day that you wouldn't do in the normal run of things but had to do it.) As I did the 3:50 pacers went by. I knew I had been slowing a bit but didn't know they were so close, I hadn't looked behind me the whole race as didn't want to know about it.

Mile 19-21 (8:57, 9:04, 8:55)
    As the pacers moved up the road from me I just started focusing a lot on going past the Mile 20 marker here, it was there I stopped to walk last year and not doing that again was going to be a good one for me (I think I did remind myself that I'd run a 50K earlier this year but I was much better prepared for that so couldn't use it for too much of a point of reference barring mental cues). Met my wife, just a brief word to say I was fine and thanking her for being there (4th year she's done this). Almost had a tear from the eye going up towards the 20 mile marker but I went past it strong and it felt good to be running past it this time. Would have taken my final gel here, took 4 overall.

Mile 22-24 (9:19, 9:20, 8:44)
    Bloody Clonskeagh, I kinda hate this place for running....the highlight for me is another work colleague having been out there every year just before the turn up to Roebuck Road and it really helps to give me a boost. He lives locally but still I really appreciate it and it helps a lot at that tough spot. That whole area just really slowed down a lot for me, dunno what it was as felt I'd been going well but I knew any shot at the 3:50 was likely gone but I knew I should be good for being faster than last year. Felt good to still be running and just ticking off the landmarks as I went. I remember doing some mental arithmetic on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway that I couldn't be having anymore 9 min miles or I was risking beating my 2017 time.
    So at Mile 23 going up that UCD flyover I started to give it a push, to my surprise that same workmate (from Clonskeagh) was on the flyover on the other side and that got me....such a simple gesture that he cycled across UCD to see me (and I presume a few others he was supporting) but again it fueled me to push it. I just said the whole parkrun and it's done, I don't recall my cumulative time here but I was still okay but no slacking off. I went down Nutley Lane at a good clip. Having done a run here maybe two months ago I could recall that run and trying to replicate the effort that was in that interval session. I just recalled with two miles or so to go that the faster you run the sooner it's done!

Mile 25-Finish (8:35, 8:27, 7.44 pace for the last part)
    Running well here now and I was on the right hand side of the bus lane so I was able to pass people at a decent rate. Felt good to be able to do this sort of finish for a change, maybe it meant I had more to push earlier in the race but was determined to run it out as best as I could. Going past the RDS and again KennyG and MrsMc were there, one finish push for me. Mile to go now. Crowds starting to build so just tried to channel that energy to keep the legs pumping. Saw a guy stopping with 800meters to go and I roared at him to get going again. He did and promptly passed me (met him afterwards and he thanked me, I said sorry to him for roaring but I couldn't bear to see him stop so close). Missed my wife around the schoolhouse again, crowds really loud here I find. Such a sweet sight to get onto Mount St and to see the beautiful green of the finishing gantry. I just kept the eyes on that and just driving on my level best as it comes closer with each step. As I was getting near the blue carpet I saw what I recognised what another club top from a different Kerry club so I just said I have to try pass the fella and it meant what was close to a sprint on the carpet and over the line but figured some sort of club pride to do that (he'd started in Wave 1 as it turned out anyways). Was thrilled to be done, I think the time on the Green Wave clock was 3:52:01, my chip time was 3:51:40 so happy with that and matched my 3:52 prediction.

After the death march around Merrion Sq I met my clubmates again, compared race notes...all happy with their days and one secured a good pb whilst the rest of us were happy with our lot. Met my wife then at the meeting spot 1 and headed to McGrattan's then for a few hours. One of the best parts of the day then catching up with fellow boardsies (incl. some non runners on the day and meeting some new people). Superb runs from many there but the results from skyblue and Singer (as always) caught the ear. Also had some friends from my village in Kerry there as well who'd done serious times coming in sub 3:15s so just a nice few hours there. Also met my colllege mates who did great on their marathon debuts, glad to see everyone get through the day unscathed...suspect most if not all will go again, maybe not next year but in a few days these thoughts can change.

Strava Link

So happy to be faster than last year, it's been a challenging second half to year. I'd different expectations as to what I'd be aiming for but glad to have been able to work with what I could do and record what is officially my second fastest time over the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Congrats D was delighted we got to see you a few times out there sorry we missed you in mc grattans we take our supporting very seriously and had to hang on for some 5 hour runners to get them over the line. A great day out supporting a good to catch up with some boardies in mc grattans afterwards. Well done a great year running for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great running D, a fantastic time on limited training .... all those marathons have stood to you :) You're mental toughness is incredible.

Are you returning to Donadea in Feb?

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Congrats D was delighted we got to see you a few times out there sorry we missed you in mc grattans we take our supporting very seriously and had to hang on for some 5 hour runners to get them over the line. A great day out supporting a good to catch up with some boardies in mc grattans afterwards. Well done a great year running for you.

I met FBOT just before we left (had been on the feet since morning so was happy to be heading then) and told him to pass on my regards as ye guys gave me a serious boost a few times. Really did appreciate it! Fairplay for being out there and no doubt helping loads on their way. Thanks again!

Neady83 wrote: »
    Great running D, a fantastic time on limited training .... all those marathons have stood to you :) You're mental toughness is incredible.

Are you returning to Donadea in Feb?

Thanks S, yeah I'm pretty happy with that sort of return now as my avg mileage over the previous 16 weeks was just under 27mpw (peak of 36 miles). There was definitely a mental battle in the last 10K but once I found something to work with (faster you run, the sooner it's over) I seemed to find another few gears. It wasn't a pb run but it was a good confidence booster on the mettle front! Not doing Donedea this year as have a wedding on, tbh I was thinking of doing nothing longer than 10K in the first half of the year...few goes at 5/10K plans. If you asked me on Sunday I was saying no to Dublin for next year but that email has arrived today so thinking about it....the drive for five as a good friend said to me at the weekend. Have you got plans afoot yourself yet?

DCM 2019 signed up for, 5/10K training for the next 6 months to try build some speed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Delighted for ya D, you can draw a line under last years experience now!
    diego_b wrote: »
    DCM 2019 signed up for, 5/10K training for the next 6 months to try build some speed.

The Drive for 5 is on! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done D great running.
    Best of luck with the 5/10k training, i am already looking forward to reading about all the new PBs.

aloooof wrote: »
    Delighted for ya D, you can draw a line under last years experience now!

The Drive for 5 is on! ;)

Haha thanks D, yup had to be done!

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done D great running.
    Best of luck with the 5/10k training, i am already looking forward to reading about all the new PBs.

Cheers J, hopefully so as haven't ran a faster time in either distance since 2017. Few cycles will hopefully make some progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

diego_b wrote: »
    Not doing Donedea this year as have a wedding on, tbh I was thinking of doing nothing longer than 10K in the first half of the year...few goes at 5/10K plans. If you asked me on Sunday I was saying no to Dublin for next year but that email has arrived today so thinking about it....the drive for five as a good friend said to me at the weekend. Have you got plans afoot yourself yet?

With the rate that DCM is selling at, it looks like we'll have to make up our minds about DCM20 sooner rather than later.

Tipping away at the XC (and LOVING it) and have one more Ultra in Dorset this year. Planning next year already and it's shaping up pretty nice as I've been drawn to do some nice Ultras in Italy and Scotland but have to wait until January to see if I get in for the big one in France - the whole year will hinge on that. Oh and Donadea, I'll do that too.

Neady83 wrote: »
    With the rate that DCM is selling at, it looks like we'll have to make up our minds about DCM20 sooner rather than later.

Tipping away at the XC (and LOVING it) and have one more Ultra in Dorset this year. Planning next year already and it's shaping up pretty nice as I've been drawn to do some nice Ultras in Italy and Scotland but have to wait until January to see if I get in for the big one in France - the whole year will hinge on that. Oh and Donadea, I'll do that too.

Haha indeed, it's up to 9000 entries as of yesterday....the early run on entries doesn't seem to be easing yet.

Good stuff on the ultra plans (no bother to you there) and great you're enjoying the XC. I might try a run on the grass again over the next week to see where I am at but I've been proper fecked tired for the last few days so suspect racing XC in a week and a half from now isn't really a runner for me. Happy to stick with easy miles for the moment!

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas to one and all!

Let the log go for now but might catch up at some stage, few racing updates in the last few weeks.
    Since the start of the year I've been focusing on the 5K as I had a long standing pb from March 2017 that I wanted to break. That same time was recorded during the Kerry Athletics Road Championships the week after what is still my marathon pb. Figured if I training a bit better for the shorter stuff I could surely run quicker. Parkruns were helping a lot with pacing for the 5K in that they felt they were becoming much more controlled efforts and I could get down in the low to mid 22's with a good push over the last K so plenty left in the tank. Been doing speed sessions with my club for the last 5/6 weeks on Thursday nights in fartlek sessions but with company around I was able to push good to sub 4/K pace (3K race pace for me) over varying distances (the number of lampposts we used varied week on week from 400m to 750m approx).
    Raced the 800m in the Munster Indoors in Nenagh a few weeks ago and took a shade over 5 seconds off my first attempt (3 min flat) from the Kerry Athletics Track Championships in Castleisland last May and came home in 2:54.92. Was very happy with that as the target was to try get under 3 minutes. Came 4th of the 5 in my age category having moved up from last place by taking a place coming off the last bend finishing strong.

Last attempt at sub 22 in Tralee parkrun came at the end of January. It was the 4th anniversary of the start of the event so the course was reversed, following a tough week in work and my heart rate was maxing out at half way so had to back off and came in just sub 23 and felt horrendous afterwards...thought I was going to faint.
    Last week was also quite busy but ran a controlled 5K in Templemore in 22:25 (final K was 4:16) so felt some form was coming in. In mind was the county road championships in Kenmare on Feb 24th was going to be a day to put it out there and see what I could do. Route was favourable with us starting a K or so out of town with a bit of up and down in the first 2K, nice decline in 3rd and 4th K with a flat/incline on the last K. For that last K we ran through the square in the town and past the church (Going past a few people going to Mass, they must have wondered what we were all at as we ran through the square in the town) I was counting down the hundred meters to go for 500m out as they'd marked the road trying to push all the way, couldn't muster a sprint finish but just a hard run right through the line. Two ladies were in front of me as I made an attempt to go past them in the last 20-30 meters but one stepped across to close the space (she must do cross country) but it only cost at most a second for me as I had to ease as nowhere to go.
    Official time was 21:03, got silver medal in my o35 category (only two of us running in that age) and we also got a silver for masters team.

Couldn't have went any better really, I don't know if I could have got 3 seconds more out of it really...was in the max hr zone throughout but felt controlled for it as best I could. Splits of 4:07, 4:11, 4:16, 4:07, 4:18.

Advertisement