Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Friday 05/12/2015

Day 4 of the 30 day challenge

Saturday 06/12/2015

Day 5 of the 30 day challenge
    Glutwork

Sunday 07/12/2015

4m easy with 1 mile fartlek in mile 3, average pace overall was 8:54min/mi.
    Splits of 9:14, 8:52, 8:30, 9:03

Did my fartlek work in the 3rd mile alternated easy and hard running with each telephone pole. Last few legs always tough but I do enjoy it. You seem to lose a mile so fast doing this as just focusing on the checkpoints.

Day 6 of the 30 day challenge and glutwork completed also.

Back to the physio in the morning to get some updated exercises for the glut work he has me doing.
    Will be doing a club session run tomorrow night also, probably another easy pace run. Will see what the week has to offer after that. Have a 5K Santa run on the cards on Sunday but with a wedding the day before I expect to be a bit tired doing it but nice fund raiser for a kids charity in the area. Bought a Santa hat to wear running it today, my head will be cooked in it.

Monday 07/12/2015

4.5m easy run with some clubmates tonight, decent pace and looking at the splits it seems we were on a progressive run without noticing. I did notice the last half a mile or so was a good pace but we were chatting away and just enjoyed the run.
    Splits of 10:28, 9:14, 9:08, 9:03, 4:19 (for the last half mile)
    Avg pace of 9:19min/mi.

Day 7 of the 30 day challenge completed tonight as well.

Physio visit went well this morning, have updated exercises to do so will be alternating between two sets over the next four weeks. Can start to build up mileage a bit as well if I wish too but if the pain comes back to hold steady. For now I am only at 14-15 miles a week but will try get back up to 20miles a week over the rest of the month or so.

Tuesday 08/12/2015

Day 8 of the 30 day challenge completed and also strength work for the gluts.

Wednesday 09/12/2015

Just like Tuesday really!
    Day 9 of the 30 day challenge completed and also strength work for the gluts.

Thursday 10/12/2015

6.2m club run tonight in Tralee, bloody cold starting off but warmed up quickly and was glad to have not gone with running tights. Running jacket (sleeves pulled up after 3 miles) with a hat (taken off after 3 miles) and gloves were plenty. Nice run with a good bit of chat throughout, avg pace was 9:05min/mi with splits of 9:00, 9:11, 9:21, 9:28, 9:06, 8:40.

Knee is feeling really good these days and happy that the approach taken with the physio is working well. Feeling strong over the short distances and would like to get a few longer runs under my belt so that will part of my Christmas plan as have a week and a half off work so will try get a few long runs over the two weekends.

My physio is happy for me to start to build up my mileage but going to do that slow. Have started doing the odd run on consecutive days now and no issues. Next planned run would normally be Saturday but due to life/stuff going on no run till Sunday and doing a 5K Santa run for that.

Friday 11/12/2015

Nothing

Saturday 12/12/2015

Glut work, day 11 of the 30 day challenge

Sunday 13/12/2015

Santa 5K fun run in Tralee, 23:34 @ 7:30min/mi
    Mile splits of 7:08, 7:24, 8:02...had driven up the country on Friday evening after work and out for a retirement do then back down to Kerry for a wedding on Saturday so was not expecting too much. Nasty hill from 3-4K and I was fecked to be honest. Anyways it was a nice run that some clubmates were also taking part it, not really a course for a PB and my prep for the race wasn't akin to getting a PB either.

Day 12 & 13 of the 30 day challenge to catch up for Friday.

Monday 14/12/2015

Glut work

Tuesday 15/12/2015

Glut work, ankle work

Wednesday 16/12/2015

Day 16 of the 30 day challenge, ankle work

Thursday 17/12/2015

3.1m in 30 @ 10min/mi (Treadmill), Day 17 of 30 day challenge

Friday 18/12/2015

Day 18 of 30 day challenge

Saturday 19/12/2015

Griffeen Valley Parkrun 5K in 22:52 @ 7:22min/mi, Day 19 of the 30 day challenge.
    Late night prior to this run and had been standing at a gig all evening. First lap went well and felt comfortable but tired a lot in the last mile. There was a nasty headwind for the last 300-400 metres of each lap so suspect I could have broken my PB but I didn't deserve it I felt....looking at my splits I was slowing to with times of 7, 7:30, 7:41 so pacing was off.

Sunday 20/12/2015

Day 20 of 30 day challenge, glut work

• Advertisement

Monday 21/12/2015

4m in 38:27 @ 9:35min/mi, day 21 of 30 day challenge, glut work, ankle work

Thursday 24/12/2015

Glut work, ankle work

Friday 25/12/2015

3.22m in 27:55 @ 8:40min/mi

Saturday 26/12/2015
    Borris Kilcotton 5K in 19:16 @ 7:20min/mi (course measured 4.1K)
    I was first finisher in this fun run race back near where I am from in Laois so that was nice. Odd little run, there was only 30 people and 20 of them were walking so it felt a bit odd at the start taking off but there was a young lad who was running just behind me for the first mile or so and then he passed but was only a few seconds in front of me for the next mile. He stopped to walk then after about two miles (I was wondering would he be able to keep it up)....yours truly was able to stay tipping away, was on 5K pb pace or so and crossed the non existent line in 19.16....laughed at it all really but it was nice to come home first for once.

Note I have been keeping up to date the latest James Dunne 30 day challenge but under physio instruction I have been ignoring anything that could aggravate my knee so typically lunges and squats outside of the ones of my physio has me doing.

Monday 28/12/2015

6.2m in 56:01 @ 8:56min/mi....started the last mile coming downhill and was running flat out for about 500meters. Got up to a top speed of 6:11min/mi which is the fastest speed I have ever recorded in a distance run.

Tuesday 29/12/2015

Day 28 & 29 of 30 day challenge, glut work, ankle work

Wednesday 30/12/2015
    3.13m in 27:21 @ 8:44min/mi, glut work, ankle work
    Last run of the year for me and did it around my home place in Kerry which was appropriate given the amount of running I have done on these particular roads since moving down. I took up running in May 2013 and each year has been better than the last so far. Long may it continue, it's a very precious gift to me that I wish I had discovered decades earlier. For now the plan is to keep going for decades more, lucky for me I still have room for improvement on my pace and endurance over differing distances.

PBs as of the end of 2014
    5K - 22:55
    5mile - 39:36
    10K - 48:16
    10mile - N/A
    Half - 1:59:39
    Marathon - N/A

PBs as of the end of 2015
    5K - 22:50
    5mile - 39:36
    10K - 47:15
    10mile - 1:26:20
    Half - 1:50:34
    Marathon - 4:12:54

I would hope that I can break each of those personal bests this year, I have signed up for a number of races already...also have been working with my physio over the last two months to rectify the what is now a very very minor knee niggle. Hoping that as mileage increases that it does not return.

Races on the cards
    Raheny 5 Mile
    Valentine's 10 Mile in Tralee (Feb 14th)
    Ballycotton 10 Mile (Mar 6th)
    Ballybunion 10K (Mar 26th)
    Connemarathon Half (April 10th...not signed up for yet)
    Run the Ring, Dawn to Dusk challenge (Jun 18th)...part of a relay team of 10 to run the 114miles of the ring of Kerry. Minimum 10K but expect to run 10-13miles (not signed up for yet but very interested in doing this with my clubmates).

That should take me up to likely signing up for a second attempt at the Dublin City Marathon in 2016.

Friday 01/01/2016

Beaufort 10K race report.
    I raced three 10K races last year, first one was the Ballybunion 10K that gave me 47:15. I had heard rumours at the time that the garda made the organisers move the finish line on the morning of the race so I am unsure as to how accurate in distance it was. It felt a bit short at the time as we'd finished on a different road the previous year and my GPS showing 9.55K. It's kinda bugged me a bit as it may have given me a time that's going to take me a while yet to break. Analyzing the race info I have from the Nike+ app I was using at the time I am pretty certain that it was short.

The next 10K I did then was two weeks after that and I ballsed it up altogether, got the pacing all wrong in the first 3K (steady climb) that come another climb at 6K I was cooked. I ran my best to finish but even with the downhill in the end my legs were gone. Came home in 52mins which was way slower than 10Ks I'd done 6-9 months earlier.

After that then I started my DCM training proper in June so come my club's annual 10K at the August Bank Holiday I had another weird one in that whilst I could not going any faster than 51:30 on the day I said to the coach at the club if he has told me to go do another lap of the course I think I could has possibly keep going at the same pace. I also did one of the faster sprint finishes I have ever done in a race. My coach actually was recording us finishing so it looks funny as I am flying it. I remember being a bit annoyed at the time and had pushed whatever pace I had over the last 300 meters or so to pass a guy a bit ahead of me and sprint it.

To the Beaufort 10K on New Year's Day, it's the first race of the year in Kerry so I said I'd do it. More as a see where you are at over the distance. Been keeping up running over December but mileage has been low enough really. Generally trying to do one hard session a week and two easier sessions alongside the glut/ankle strength work my physio has me at. Set a target of sub 50 for the race as it had been a while since I had a sub 50 10K and felt it was a reasonable target with a Christmas kg or two on. Conditions were fairly bad as well with heavy wind on the course over the second half of the race.
    The race was scheduled to start at 12:00 but due to delay with chip timing (not used in the end) we didn't get started until 12:30. Didn't mind the first 15 mins of that as meant I was able to get an extra warmup cycle in. Second 15 mins it was a bit frustrating as we'd moved to starting area so just trying to keep warm. Have to say that by all accounts this is very much exceptional for this race as is highly regarded by the people in the area in general.
    Anyways we were off, had decided on a pace of 8min/mi with a push over the last mile or so if I had anything in the tank.
    Felt very good over the first half of the race, went past the halfway mark about 30 seconds above my 5K PB. A bit faster than planned but really felt very comfortable, started to think about the 10K PB but that was dashed pretty quickly as in the 6-8K was were really exposed to some tough head winds. Had the odd experience of a head wind whilst running downhill, think that's a first for me. Last mile I did feel tired....guessing combination of the first half being quick and then the shagging wind. In the last K I passed a guy going up an incline and opened up a bit of gap of maybe 10-15 metres but he passed me again a few hundred metres later. I didn't have it in me to hold him off or else try get passed him again. Exchanged nice pleasantries with the guy afterwards as he said I really pushed him on which was nice to hear I guess....would rather have kept my position but no worries! Enjoyable race and I did if I was around I'd expect I try do it most years, about 10-12 from my club were doing it as well so that was an extra nice day out catching up with them after Christmas.

Avg pace was 7:47min/mi

Splits (from my watch) were:
    7:32
    7:38
    7:26
    8:13
    8:03
    7:48

Little bonus was that I got a 5 mile PB today (38:53, previously 39:36)...that was the only PB I didn't break last year.

Strava link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

5 mile PB & hitting pre race target, good days work. Nice running well done.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    5 mile PB & hitting pre race target, good days work. Nice running well done.
    Thank you kindly!

• Advertisement

Sunday 03/01/2016

3.1 miles easy pace, bloody soaked but enjoyable run. Completed the last day of the 30 day challenge and my glut/ankle work before running. Was hoping for the rain to ease a bit but in the end just said feck it and went for it. Avg pace was 9:06min/mi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Good work on the PB! :)

Monday 04/01/2016

Almost 4 miles completed tonight in Tralee with some clubmates, grand handy pace with plenty of chat about Christmas, children and plans/races for the year ahead. The time zipped along and would happily done a few more miles.

Avg pace was 9:49min/mi.

Tuesday 05-01-2015

75min circuits completed at a club session tonight and also some ankle work from my physio program. God dammit I am hopeless with balance exercises whenever I have to close my eyes doing them...errr.

New purchase of a treadmill due to arrive tomorrow, screw you Storm XYZ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

diego_b wrote: »
    New purchase of a treadmill due to arrive tomorrow, screw you Storm XYZ.

would running through them not be more of a 'screw you' than the treadmill :p

Haha fair enough, I quite enjoy a drenching of my own making! In truth it's more got to do with living in country side and because of the dark evenings (and mornings) of the last month or so it's been hard to get somewhere safe to run without driving into town (25mins away) for footpaths to run on. Figure it might be handy to have and when the wife suggested it I said go for it. Have you used one in training before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

. Have you used one in training before?

Me? Nooooo - they're not called dreadmills for nothing :p I'm joking of course, whatever helps gets the miles in :) and safety first always!

The longest I have done on one before is half an hour so I could live with that here and there. Really hoping my other half will use it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    Me? Nooooo - they're not called dreadmills for nothing :p I'm joking of course, whatever helps gets the miles in :) and safety first always!
    The longest I have done on one before is half an hour so I could live with that here and there. Really hoping my other half will use it though!

During the snow/ice a few winters ago I'd no choice to use the dreadmill in the gym. Got to 5K and was bored out my skull, 10K slowly losing the will to live and called it at 15K and don't think I've been on one since. I now have a new respect for hamsters :P.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    During the snow/ice a few winters ago I'd no choice to use the dreadmill in the gym. Got to 5K and was bored out my skull, 10K slowly losing the will to live and called it at 15K and don't think I've been on one since. I now have a new respect for hamsters :P.

Haha excellent, it will actually be a proper test to see if I can turn off my brain! More likely I will be changing incline here and there to keep it interesting....and probably catch up on podcasts.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 06-01-2016

Ankle exercises and glut work

Thursday 07-01-2016

6.2m club run completed tonight, easy pace with an avg pace of 8.59min/mi.

Friday 08-01-2016

Nothing today apart from the oul glut exercises, whilst watching a man with a plastic bag on his face wipe the floor with people in a debate who think they know better.

Saturday 09-01-2016

Treadmill 5K, maiden voyage on the new machine at home. I setup my iPad to watch the first half or so of the Real Madrid game whilst doing it. Hit the road/belt then and 29 or so mins later we're done. It was grand really, very different to road running but I'd use it the odd time in a week when practicality needs. Pace wise it's in K's so was going between 10-12K an hour and changed incline a couple of times.
    Update on the knee knack situation is that it feels pretty much A1 now, I almost hit 20 miles last week and will get 20-21 this week following tomorrow's run and no issues so far. Prior to say May/June and DCM training last year I was only running maybe 12-15 miles tops a week so getting to 20-25 miles again for now and holding steady even for a few months bodes well for another crack at the marathon. I think I will be a lot stronger and my lazy ass glut muscles actually do something now.

Ankle exercises completed tonight also, grand until I have to close my eyes doing some sets and then my balance goes to hell.
    Plan for tomorrow or 7-8 mile LSR, back to Physio on Monday morning for a check in and probably change or exercises.

Also carried out some glut exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Update on the knee knack situation is that it feels pretty much A1 now, I almost hit 20 miles last week and will get 20-21 this week following tomorrow's run and no issues so far.

Delighted to hear this, you've gone about recovery the right way, you deserve the rewards.

Well wear on the new treadie. I used it for some mid-week runs during marathon training when the weather was rubbish. It was great to have access to it especially when I had to get the miles in. Now that I'm just ticking over, I can only handle 3 on it without wanting to jump out the window of the gym. Swings and roundabouts but handy to have the option.

Neady83 wrote: »
    Delighted to hear this, you've gone about recovery the right way, you deserve the rewards.

Well wear on the new treadie. I used it for some mid-week runs during marathon training when the weather was rubbish. It was great to have access to it especially when I had to get the miles in. Now that I'm just ticking over, I can only handle 3 on it without wanting to jump out the window of the gym. Swings and roundabouts but handy to have the option.

Thanks very much, I am hoping for sure that when I get up to proper long runs (haven't done longer than 7 miles since DCM) that all will still be okay. The exercises can be annoying be but very worthwhile based on experiences so far.

That's my thoughts that sometimes depending on what is going on at home/outside the door that it's a good option to have. Be surprised if I see more than 3-5 miles on it at a time. Possibly the benefit of keeping up aerobic benefits of the training whilst getting my body more used to proper long road running. I feel I got away with it to some aspect for DCM 15 as I could not believe that on one evening 3-4 weeks before the race that I could not run a mile due to the pain that through careful management all went well on the day, however I don't want to get to that point again with such an issue.

Sunday 10-01-2016

8 mile LSR completed today, avg pace was 9:06min/mi.
    Splits as follows:

9:19
    8:59
    8:38
    9:12
    9:12
    9:08
    9:09
    9:16

That was longest run post DCM 2015, very happy with how it went...only thing I'd changed really was that I should not have worn a cap/running jacket. Thought it was colder than it was and I hate being too warm. Long sleeve top and gloves would have done grand. Also the route I picked, really enjoyed the first four miles or so but miles 4-7 were essentially a partial out and back route on a straight a needle road so a little bit hard on the head. First 3 miles or so was more meandering around country lanes with some hills and more enjoyable really. Anyhoo it was nice to go over the hour mark for running for what seems like 6 months now despite really being less than half than length of time. Knee felt all good during and afterwards and I would be noticing it on the stairs for the sure if it wasn't right.
    That was the week done with 21.2 miles completed which is also my highest mileage since the taper for DCM. Planning to try slot into more of the plan Myles has on the graduates thread now mixing with some club runs but will hold this mileage for a week or so with maybe a week's taper before Raheny.

Also some glut work carried out tonight whilst watched my beloved Green Bay Packers. Hence the late night update here!

Monday 11-01-2016

Physio session went well. Plan to keep going with the exercise and have some updated ones to replace others. He's suggesting carrying those out 3 times a week. That would be fine and he is happy with my running/race plan for the next few months. Not expecting to be doing a half marathon until late April / early May so he thinks that is a good progression.
    Next appointment will be after I have Raheny 5 miler and the Valentine's 10 miler done in 6 weeks or so.
    He wants me to start scoring the effort on my runs as well, so length of time ran multiplied by a score out of 10 for perceived effort. Add them together for a total weekly score. He suggested that there should not be an increase above 1 and a half percent in total score from week to week.

Completed another almost 4 miles tonight as part of a club run, felt tired after a late night and it was fairly windy in stretches.
    Pace was about 8:57min/mi which would not be especially fast but guess a few things caught up on me to make the effort seem more.

Tuesday 12-01-2016

Had a meeting tonight so not much time to do anything but did my ankle balance exercises.

Wednesday 13-01-2016

Disaster of an evening for getting much done, had plans to use treadmill and do prescribed glut and ankle work but through a variety of issues (not least a car with a flat battery) just ate into my evening. Plus I wanted to get an early night, circa 11pm ahead of an early morning flight from Kerry to Dublin. Running on a treadmill wasn't a good idea for me to try get a decent night's sleep. Just got some glut work done.

Thursday 14-01-2016

Up in Dublin for two nights, staying near Ringsend so went out for a run last night at 9ish. Plan was to do four miles, hadn't decided on the pace but the icy footpaths meant it was gonna be an easy pace. Remembered then the running track in Irishtown so I tipped down to there to see if it was open and viola it was. It was around 9:25/30, the guy said I could use it till 10pm when they close. Did 2 laps (I think, lost count) warm up and then 5 (I think) laps where I did 200m easy / 200m faster (10K pace). It was quite cold so I didn't want to push it in case I wasn't fully warmed up. After that I finished up with 5 easy laps incl a few that were clockwise as well (had an urban fox for company for some of these laps, well he was tipping around the sides looking for food I guess) and a little jog back to the hotel. Job done.

Did the missed ankle work from the previous night and then some glut work.

Friday 15-01-2016

Rest day aka go see Creed and play Poker with some mates in Dublin day before going back home to Kerry on Saturday morning.

Saturday 16-01-2016

Half had ideas of doing my long run for the weekend when I got back to Kerry but my wife needed to catch up on some work and our little girl needed entertaining with Daddy's Lego so I said I'd do something on the treadmill later on.
    Did a 5K in something like 34mins, was running between 8-10kph and 1-2% incline but also watching something on my iPad. Anyways said a very easy session ahead of my long run on Sunday and a busy few days in Dublin was no harm.
    Also did my prescribed ankle and glut work after that.

Sunday 17-01-2016

Plan was to do 9miles, longest run since DCM and I got the job done. Given I hadn't had a proper hard session really this week I said I might try push the pace on this session and went for a half marathon pace. Didn't get started at the run till 4:15pm so the hours of darkness were my enemy to get it done. First 5 miles or so felt very good, turned into a headwind then for a mile or so and that stung a bit but kept the effort the same....was wearing my HRM for the first time this week to help keep an eye on that.
    Last mile I felt hard to be honest, was coming back into the village where I live and it had gotten dark so was mindful to be sure to be seen on the roads (wearing hi-viz) and where I was putting my feet. It reminded me a bit of the DCM training, where I had done a LSR (avg pace was 9:06min/mi) of 8mile last week and this week it was the extra mile was where the push came...a good bit of that was down to the pace I picked but overall the run felt better than last week. Funny thinking about it afterwards what was I thinking during the run and to be honest it was very little barring checking my form/pace/feeling every so often and taking in the surroundings, I like that when it happens with running as can be hard to turn off the brain sometimes!

Distance 9miles
    Avg pace 8:44min/mi
    Avg bpm 160bpm

Splits
    8:55
    8:41
    8:30
    8:25
    8:38
    8:58
    8:28
    8:43
    9:19

Disrupted week with a bit of traveling and busy busy at home but got my 20 miles for the week (19.95 as it turns on but no matter) done.
    Debating giving the local parkrun a blast on Saturday coming (it will be almost a month since I raced a 5K and also it's Tralee's on year anniversary next weekend), figure it might be a good pace session ahead of Raheny at the end of the month.

Monday 18-01-2016

4miles on the treadmill, going from 9-12kph @ 1% incline in 39:27min.
    The effort on this felt hard but suspect that was a carry over from the long run on the day previous. My 3.5 year old took a great interest in me on the treadmill (she calls it a treadmilk for some reason), the sweat was running out of me but enjoyed the run plus the tv show I snuck in at the same time doing it.

Tuesday 19-01-2016

Glut and ankle/balance exercises

Wednesday 20-01-2016

Glut and ankle/balance exercises

Thursday 21-01-2016

Club run in Tralee, plan was do 10K/6.2miles at an easy pace. First four miles much the same pace. Bit of climb from the start of mile 3 for a mile and a half. Started lashing rain just after the four mile mark so myself and the lad I was running with decided to push it a bit to get out of the rain so it made it a nice progression run.

Avg pace 8:48min/mi
    Avg heart rate 157bpm

Splits
    9:47
    9:00
    9:03
    9:03
    8:23
    7:43

Probably going to do the local parkrun in Tralee tomorrow as it's been a while.

• Advertisement

Friday 22-01-2016

Rest day

Saturday 23-01-2016

Tralee Park run

Hadn't done the event since November and the time I did it that month it was lashing rain and windy. Got 22:5x that day and did the park run two more times before Christmas, once in Griffeen and once in Naas and got 22:52 both times. Felt I was being haunted a little bit by the exact same time that I had first recorded in March last year in a 5K race.
    Arrived at 9:15 to the park for the run, intended a longer warm up but had to use the facilities so that cut what I could do warm wise pretty short, some strides and dynamic stretches.
    Got back to the starting area and was surprised to see a pretty huge crowd (normally this event was getting 100-120) but this was well over 200. Conditions were looking good so said that bodes well, unfortunately had a very busy week in the lead in to the run with work and home life being hectic.....also broken sleep thanks to my daughter but even with excuses I felt good to go albeit not PB good....so I thought :-).
    Tralee park run is 3 laps of the park so said I'd try for 7:40 for each of the first two laps and try push it in the third lap. Lined up in the second row as normal and away we went. First K went good, settled into my pace pretty quickly and not too much overtaking or being overtaking. 1 or 2 on both scores. Coming through the start/finish area I checked my watch but I looked at the current pace as opposed to elapsed time (as planned) so was not sure of my time but even still I kept going as was. Second lap felt tough, always does...I find it's as much mental aspect in particular with just getting through this lap. You know when it's done you're 2/3 done and on the home stretch.
    At the end of the second lap I checked my watch properly and my elapsed race time I went through the second lap was 14:40, 40 seconds ahead of schedule but to be honest I wasn't feeling 100 percent and pretty tired...had wished for my sleep in previous nights but said feck it keep going. Set a mental checkpoint for the halfway point in the little down/back chute you have to run in one section. Got to there and checked my watch again, then realised that I have four minutes to play with....even tired as I was I can do half a lap quicker than that.
    A lot of walkers on that last lap so had to pass on the grass in spots, kept the effort steady for another bit and then pushed hard over the last 200 metres. Was passed by a young lad going into the finishing chute but no matter, when I looked down and saw my watch I was delighted....a few seconds passed before I stopped it at 22:3x but it was well under PB. Got the text 90mins later and it confirmed a time of 22:27, the fastest I have ever ran over any distance I would guess and with a better week prep I think I can probably break this time again. For now bigger fish to fry with the Raheny 5 miler on Sunday and a 10mile race in February so will have to see about another attempt at the distance.

Came 16th out of 284 finishers, didn't realise there was that many people there on the day but really enjoyed the event as always.

Sunday 24-01-2016

Had plans for an easy 10K but with baby sitting duties, my wife crazy busy with work at the moment it became more of a daddy/daughter day.

Monday 25-01-2016

4 miles easy on the treadmill, starting off at 9kph going to 11kph at 1% incline. Felt good throughout was all done in just under 40mins.

Tuesday 26-01-2016

Ankle strengthening/balance work and glut exercises.

Advertisement