Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Firedance wrote: »
    that's fantastic :) well done D, very well run race and lots more to come too.

Thanks very much, very happy with how it went and hopefully so...have a few more clubmates to try catch!

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    It's a bit hilly but I pb'd in it last year before DCM training the last mile or so is a steady hill into the village but great support to get you across the line and around the course. It was a gorgeous day last year nearly a bit too warm. I don't remember any awful hills was enjoying the lovely scenery.

Cool sounds good, first heard of the race about 13-14 years ago before ever the thoughts of running came to me so really looking forward to it.

denis b wrote: »
    Well done Diego. That is a satisfying piece of work.

Thanks Denis, it really was as my time in Raheny gave me great confidence that I go give it a go. I think I remember saying to you and Nop possibly that my aim was sub 1:20 in either Tralee or Ballycotton so nice to get the job done.

nop98 wrote: »
    Great stuff D - that's a fine time over 10M!

Thanks N!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Fab running, D! Exciting race report, well done on the PB!

• Advertisement

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice going Diego, what a way to smash 1:20 :) you should be well chuffed

Thank you kindly, indeed I was delighted then to get sub 1:19 as there would have been a teeny part of me that would have been disappointed if it was 1:19:02 etc. Stupid brain/ego!

Fab running, D! Exciting race report, well done on the PB!

Thanks C, I rambled out the report late last night so was fairly fresh in the mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done Diego, congrats on the PB.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done Diego, congrats on the PB.
    Thanks Jake, hope you well on the road again yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

diego_b wrote: »
    Thank you kindly, indeed I was delighted then to get sub 1:19 as there would have been a teeny part of me that would have been disappointed if it was 1:19:02 etc. Stupid brain/ego!

I completely understand, I did 3:59:58 in the marathon. If it had been 4:00:02, I'd have been gutted :D It's the small victories

• Advertisement

I completely understand, I did 3:59:58 in the marathon. If it had been 4:00:02, I'd have been gutted :D It's the small victories

Wow that is so close but exhilarating, I be leaping around the place after that if I had any energy left...that last few 100 meters you must have been giving it everything!
    Was looking at a graph of marathon finishing timea recently and there's a huge spike at the different time intervals for say 3:30, 4:00, 4:30 etc. Tis still 26.2miles run no matter what!
    Saying that of course I would like to try get under 4 hours next time if I can!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Wow that is so close but exhilarating, I be leaping around the place after that if I had any energy left...that last few 100 meters you must have been giving it everything!
    Was looking at a graph of marathon finishing timea recently and there's a huge spike at the different time intervals for say 3:30, 4:00, 4:30 etc. Tis still 26.2miles run no matter what!
    Saying that of course I would like to try get under 4 hours next time if I can!!

get training right and judging how your going right now, all thing been even i'd say you would sail in well under 4 hrs.:)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    get training right and judging how your going right now, all thing been even i'd say you would sail in well under 4 hrs.:)

Fingers crossed and ta for the vote of confidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Thanks Jake, hope you well on the road again yourself!

Im getting there slowly:(

Monday 15-02-2016

Rest day

Tuesday 16-02-2016

Glut work

Wednesday 17-02-2016

4 and a bit miles @ easy pace....average pace of 8:56min/mi. First run since the race on Sunday. Legs felt fairly stiff and it was pretty cold out, took me about 3 miles before I warmed up proper. Could have ran for longer but due to receding light I said I would stick to my plan of 4 miles.

Thursday 18-02-2016

Treadmill 5K, 10-11.5kph @ 0-1-2-1-0% incline.
    This run felt pretty good albeit pretty warm, no need to ever travel for warm weather training with the treadmill at home.

Friday 19-02-2016

Glut work

Saturday 20-02-2016

Tralee Parkrun
    301 runners on Saturday so a new course record, hard to get to my normal starting point of 2nd row so ended up about 4 rows back. My plan for the day was to not go for a pb and not even to run at 5K effort but something more akin to 10K pace. Decided on a plan of around 7:40-8min laps.
    The run went very well even with crowds I was able to get into my pace after 100m or so. Held that effort pretty consistently passing without pushing as I gained on people. First lap was 7:47 with the second lap similar to within a few seconds. For the last half a lap then on the slight uphill I decided to push it a bit to try gain a few places so passed a fella and a lady (normally finishes ahead of me in races so found it odd to pass her but guess she was on a particular plan for the day) and I kept that effort to finish strong. Lost one place as was fenced in behind walkers coming to the finish chute and a young lap did a Mika Hakkinen style overtaking move on the other side. My park run time was 23:25 (watch gives me and average pace of 7:51min/mi so bang on target), just under a minute slower than my pb (22:32) earlier this month. Enjoyable run though.

Sunday 21-02-2016

8m easy pace run.

Wow that was seriously windy today, those last 3 miles I had a fine head wind for 90% of the time. Even still I really enjoyed it, blew the head off me altogether. When I got back into the village I live I had 7.6m done and yes like other DCM 2015 Novices I find it hard not to stop on and even mile unless it's 3.1 or 6.2 so I did a loop to bring it up to 8miles. First half of the run was very enjoyable too, gave myself a right proper hill start but it was grandest. Surprised with that as normally find that particular hill a lot tougher but I was making sure to focus carefully on my technique and effort and could have taken a good bit more of the same climb. Even though it's 2 months away I am thinking of the Connemarathon Half so will be doing hill work more frequently now even if just incorporating them into my route.
    Just one of those days that even with wet and windy conditions plus hills I was so thankful to be running and sitting on the couch. At one stage in mile 6-7 I beckoned out the wind even more with a roar....may have lost the run of myself there for a minute! A few hundred meters I was almost proper blown sideways, someone had heard me...

Average pace came to 8:51min/mi.

Splits
    9:17
    8:34
    8:35
    8:30
    8:31
    9:01
    9:05
    9:10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Glad to see that OCD is not unusual around these parts. Connemara half is supposed to be great, we were in Achill last year and we drove to the start / finish of the course and I can confirm lots of hill training would be wise ! Scenery is amazing down there. Best of luck with training.

Glad to see that OCD is not unusual around these parts. Connemara half is supposed to be great, we were in Achill last year and we drove to the start / finish of the course and I can confirm lots of hill training would be wise ! Scenery is amazing down there. Best of luck with training.

I have a great half route about 10 mins from where I live and hills galore so will try get a run or two on that course ahead of the day so should be in decent nick for it. Just have to be careful on the effort on them, from what I can could see on Strava stuff I think there's a good steady climb in the first couple of miles and then another one near the finish for good measure.....and thanks!

Monday 22-02-2016

Treadmill 5K, 1-0.5% incline @ 11-12kph with some 100-200m intervals in 27:50.
    Session that felt tough enough but enjoyed the intervals.

Some glutwork then afterwards.

Tuesday 23-02-2016

Rest

Wednesday 24-02-2016

10m steady run.
    Have a busy weekend coming up so wanted to get my weekly long run done midweek and when a club mate suggested meeting this evening I said great and suggested 10 miles. Four of us met in town at 6pm, two clubmates and Mr Blue shirt from the Valentine's Day race, very nice fella. We ran a different route than normal that the new guy plotted. Plenty of chat throughout until the last mile or 2 when it had gotten dark so concentrating a lot on where I was putting my feet and also there is a steady incline out of town to where we'd parked the cars. I took the front of the pack for the last mile and pushed it on for a bit even with the incline and that was the fastest split in the end which was nice. Felt strong towards the end and could have ran more, only for a lovely little blister I have developed in the last few days...will need a day or two to let that clear but possibly will do a treadmill session on Friday and then a medium length run (10K) on Sunday. Avg pace for tonight was 8:27 min/mi which pace wise was just 5 seconds a min/mi slower than my last half marathon back in September. Definitely have progressed a lot at longer distances on the back of the marathon.
    Possibly going to run the Tralee Half marathon route next week in a similar session but we'll see how the start of play is next week as might have a few options for doing that next week.

Splits for tonight:
    8:23
    8:16
    8:38
    8:59
    8:21
    8:28
    8:19
    8:07

• Advertisement

Thursday 25-02-2016

Glut work

Friday & Saturday

Nada, on Saturday I travelled to Cork for a juvenile training course in CIT.
    Was asked the coach in my club would I be interested in getting involved on that side of things so said I would. Course was very interesting and practical too, all about the FUNdamentals. Fingers crossed with that when I start attending sessions in the coming weeks.

Sunday 27-02-2016

Odd weekend with being away all day Saturday and visitors down as well. Started to get to more of a normal weekend in the afternoon. Was feeling tired but wanted to get a run in so did a 10K around 5pm. The blister on my foot had become manageable with a blister plaster and Hypafix tape to keep in place.
    Average pace was 8:33min/mi and was done just over 53mins, effort felt okay and was happy to get it done.

Monday 29-02-2016

5K broken down into 1m warm up 1m tempo 1m cool down
    7:43

Happy with this session, nice to get back more sessions on the road with the longer evenings so less treadmill work for the mo. I typically work till 5pm and being based at home means all going well I can get run in then handily enough.
    Once I have the next weeks out of the way and the races planning to start upping my mileage more as holding steady around 20m/pw for most of the year so far.

Tuesday 01-03-2016

Been a few weeks so attended my club's weekly circuit training class. 75mins later it was job done and all was good. Enjoyed the dynamic warmup routine and something I need to get better at for races.

Wednesday 02-02-2016

Rest day
    My physio was giving a talk on injury prevention and performance improvement, very informative and plenty to take from it. One topic that an emphasis was placed on strength and conditioning work and also factors that can impact recovery. My experience to date with this physio has been hugely positive as when I think back to the pain I was getting with PFPS and that with his guidance I have been able to keep running. Every so often I do get slight discomfort but talking less than 1/10 so I am mindful to do what I am told even if it means that I am not covering the mileage or distances I want to but I am getting results!

Thursday 03-02-2016

6.2m easy pace run.
    Conditions not the best down here with wind so did an easy pace run from my home to a nice inlet spot where there are some cliffs I like. Some decent climbing going up hill for the first mile, then flat, then downhill to the sea and of course the reverse on the way back. Watched the effort on the climbs and despite the wind felt good throughout.
    Average pace was 8:46min/mi with splits of
    9:45
    8:45
    8:29
    9:20
    7:42

The hill in the last mile is glorious, tough so and so going out but it's like freewheeling on a bike or something flying back down. Got down to 6:24min/mi...I'll crack sub 6 pace on it when the roads are dry!
    Also did some S&C work earlier.
    3x15reps squats with 5kg kettle bell
    3x15reps single leg squats (on both left/right leg) with 5kg kettle bell
    3x15 calf single leg calf raises (on each leg) with the kettle bell also.

Ballycotton '10' 2016

Written on my phone on the plane from Kerry to Dublin, so let's see how this comes out!

I first heard about this race through work colleagues probably about 10-12 years ago, who had ran (and 1 who had won) the race over the years. So when I took up running in recent years I had it in the back of my mind as one to do.
    This was to be my second 10 mile race of year, another good step on my road back from the knee issue I developed in the month prior to DCM. Training has been going well with a mix of 3-4 runs a week, around 20miles on avg and two strength and conditioning sessions that have been primarily focused on glut strength. This has worked very well for me and generally I do not experience knee pain now only on an infrequent occasion and below 1/10 on the pain scale. One of my focuses this year has to try run that bit faster and with hopefully a bit more pep in my step so to reduce time spent on the ground during my stride. During the marathon training I felt the slower pace 9:30/10min/mi made me feel very sluggish running. This year whilst building slowly towards the half marathon distance in the next month or two that I am working on running 8min/mi for this type of distance. My first half marathon of the year is going to be the Connemarathon Half, a race I don't expect to be able to run that pace throughout with the nature of the course but I do plan on breaking my pb of 1:50:34 from Dingle last September and going sub 1:50.
    3 weeks after Connemarathon I am considering running Limerick with a goal of sub 1:45 in mind.
    Anyways back to Ballycotton first...

Got to Cork on Saturday afternoon with my wife and daughter and checked into the hotel around 4:30pm. My little one had been promised a trip to the pool so spent an hour there with her doing her thing. It was grand an relaxing and good fun.
    Tried to get an early night around 11 with both my wife (dying with a cold) and daughter asleep. Said lovely daughter awoke at 12:45 then for a bit of an irrational battle/argument that those lovely little people like to introduce in the middle of the night. Anyways eventually got back to sleep around 1:30 I guess.

Sunday morning, race day
    Was concerned about conditions and giving how my wife was feeling and the challenge minding our little one (entertaining for hours) in Ballycotton they said they'd stay in the hotel. Took the hotel breakfast as the race was not going to be for a good few hours but I stuck to familiar ground with pancakes, yoghurt and some cereal. Left the hotel at 10:20 and arrived in the car park outside the village at 11. Bit of time to kill then between the car, marque, hall all whilst conserving energy as much as possible. I was a bit twitchy with what felt like a long morning before the start.
    Headed for the start area at 12:45 with hope of a quick bag drop (no chance with the queues and ensured 10 min queuing) and a decent warm up (did not get back down the slippery mud hill till 1:20) so I did what I could for 5 mins as to be honest I was feeling cold. Worked my way up through the field then to try find the starting group for 80 mins which was my target for the race. The first sign I spotted was sub 65s so I stopped a few rows back from that as I'd already gone a few rows too far already. A guy in a club top to my left commented to me that he just ignores those signs, I was tempted to say something about how bad form that is but what was the point in getting into a discussion like that 1 min before the start.
    Anyways then we were off...

Mile 1
    Knew this was going to be very congested but I wasn't planning on trying to gain time here really, just get into the planned effort/pace and ease past anyone I needed to without weaving. It did open up pretty quickly within the first K. My split was 7:57.

Mile 2
    This mile felt fast but I think that was due to the fast drop before the right turn and over the bridge. Can't recall too much more here....7:31.

Mile 3
    Well onto the flattest part of the run now and just tipping away, to be honest I found the route outside of the first/last 2 miles not to interesting. Split 7:46.

Mile 4
    No recollection, find that odd! Split time
    7:50.

Mile 5
    Can remember this one a little bit more as was looking for sub 40 for the 5m split and I got that with around 40 seconds to spare.
    7:43 was the split for this mile.

Mile 6
    This mile I can remember as I took on some water at the water stop. The water was so cold my stomach almost rejected it as soon as it went in. Felt a bit tired and cold at the stage which is odd for me as certainly running I normally feel pretty warm. Just dialed into 4 miles to go and keep at it. 8:03 for the mile.

Mile 7
    I was keeping tabs with a few runners around me so despite what I was feeling which was tired was okay as was holding pace okay.
    7:47 for the split here.

Mile 8
    Started to think I should be fine for my goal time of sub 1:20 as I shouldn't lose a minute over the last two miles even though I was kinda done with the race I felt. My club top was soaked through at this stage and was starting to annoy me and I wished I was one of those fellas who have both the figure/gall to run topless but no chance on both counts!!
    7:54, and two to go.

Mile 9
    So here we were getting towards the end, I had heard of the tough finish. Sure they even mention it in the book and we'd ran the reverse of it on the way out so I knew it was going to take a bit of work and hoped I had something left in the tank. Crossed the bridge at then started to push, my stride naturally shortened and I seemed to start gaining positions. Effort felt okay and then it leveled kinda for a little bit for the final mile. 7:58

Mile 10 and finish
    Starting to hear the sounds of the village more now and the final push was on. Legs felt tired but figured just hold this through to the finish and will be grand. Of course once I saw the 800 meter mark to go I glanced at my watch and did a bit of maths and figured I am going to be pretty close to my pb here...pushed on. 600 to go, just keep it going. 400 to go....sweet Jesus these 200meters are tough. 200m to go, right what have got left so I gave it my level best right through the finish line. I stopped my own bed watch at 2 secs over my pb but with the chip time matching my pb of 1:18:52 from the Valentine's Day 10 mile last month in February.
    7:51 was my final split and I was happy with that and I managed to find something for the end despite a few earlier not feeling it. To be honest I am not disappointed with not breaking the pb as I really had no more to give on the day and notions of breaking it only came to mind in the last mile. If I'd gone out to try break I think I would have ran a different race and gone out too hard at the start. Looking back also a positive split of 16 seconds for that course is probably not bad going, not sure if it means I was holding back in the first half too much but what effort I had left in me was well used up in the last climb into the village.

1st 5 mile split: 39:18
    2nd 5mile split: 39:34
    Gun time: 1:19:33
    Chip time: 1:18:52
    Position: 998 (979 at halfway)

Avg pace: 7:48min/mi

After the race I got out of my wet clothes as quick as I could, I was happy that after about 5-10mins after the run I was feeling okay and good to drive. Back home to Kerry then after a couple of hours with my family in Cork. They had a grand day, nice job Alvin, Simon and Theodore with their contribution to that!

To come, I had considered doing the half marathon in Tralee this coming Saturday but I think too much to soon and I am at a good point with fitness and injury that if I allow sufficient recovery I should be in good nick for my next 10K race in three weeks. I am very happy with how this running year has gone to date and before the summer I would like to get my weekly avg mileage from 20 to30 miles a week by going up to 4 runs a week and doing a longer run at the weekend.

well done D, good result on tough course, better on the Phone than I am, great report, apart from falling asleep in middle of race :D

Haha thanks G, maybe when I look at the course profile on my laptop at some stage I might remember some of the middle miles a lot better but nothing much was happening..just running!

Haha thanks G, maybe when I look at the course profile on my laptop at some stage I might remember some of the middle miles a lot better but nothing much was happening..just running!

Know what you mean, great when miles roll by like that, you are just
    In the zone, usually only start and finish I really remember, baring
    Any painfull ones:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Great running Diego, well done for digging deep and hanging in there :) You are proof that patience and careful nursing of an injury can reap enormous rewards. You're an example to us all.

Good call on Connemara - the unpredictable weather conditions, lack of shelter and hills make it a tough one to aim for a consistent pace on. Have you run it before? You'll have no bother breaking 1:50 after Ballycotton as long as you run a conservative race. The last two miles are unforgiving if you've left it all out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great report D and well done that last mile is tough into the village. Must say a lot of the miles I don't remember either think it's down to the roads being quiet with supporters in places. A well earned rest day today.

Great running Diego, well done for digging deep and hanging in there :) You are proof that patience and careful nursing of an injury can reap enormous rewards. You're an example to us all.

Good call on Connemara - the unpredictable weather conditions, lack of shelter and hills make it a tough one to aim for a consistent pace on. Have you run it before? You'll have no bother breaking 1:50 after Ballycotton as long as you run a conservative race. The last two miles are unforgiving if you've left it all out there.

Thank you very much, very kind words those! For sure if you told me back in September when I first got the knee issue that I'd still get my marathon done and in the first two months of 2016 I'd have broken 5K, 5mile and 10mile PBs and looking good for a good chunk off my half marathon time...and hopefully have the niggle a thing of the past...I'd probably have taken your hand off!!

I have not run Connemara half before and don't suspect I will get a chance to rec'd the course in person before it so ta for the tips and I think I might be asking more! I am working on doing more hill work in general in my training especially on long runs. I don't fear them as much as I did this time last year when I moved to Kerry first but I know they can make or break a race if you get it wrong...effort more so than pace is becoming more and more of a guiding light for me! I might be asking a big ask on the course on do what I am aiming to do but I like a good target like that!

• Advertisement

Great report D and well done that last mile is tough into the village. Must say a lot of the miles I don't remember either think it's down to the roads being quiet with supporters in places. A well earned rest day today.

Ta very much, indeed it was a good feeling to finish strong there...I should have found a young lad to try chase down though and might have got a few seconds faster!!
    Aye for a well renouned race I found at least half of the route unremarkable, this could have been impacted by the weather of course!

Advertisement