Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

criterium de dauphine

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

What a stage! ! Great ride by TJ and Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    The gap is coming down fast! Also does anyone know what the thing is sticking out the back of some of the saddles?

http://inrng.com/2015/06/geolocation-telemetry-dauphine/#more-25217

All explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Have never been to the more famous areas of Alps but tomorrow's stage is fantastic cycling country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Dan 8th and Nico 10th - 1-17 and 1-26 down respectively.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Reminder from the sticky, this is on ITV4 so it falls under spoiler rules AFAIK, please use spoiler tags going forward until after midnight:

Spoilers (taken from the Charter/FAQs)

Spoiler tags are used hide commentary about race results from boardsies who haven't watched a race live and are waiting to catch up later in the day. If you don't know what a spoiler tag is, find out. If you break the rules on spoilers, expect severe punishment. We wait all year to follow the big races so don't ruin it by being thoughtless.
    For non-stage-specific threads about stage races (e.g. "TdF 2011"), use spoiler tags until midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I'd give SKY a break re tactics ...none of the so called descenders like Nibali or BMC went after Bardet when he went off ...I don't think anyone could have caught him on that descent anyway

As fro Nico ...he rode very well ...his job was to accelerate at 2km ..so not expected to last long ...and that was good he could do that at that point considering at that stage Nibs, Valverde, Mollema and a whole plethora on GC had gone and he still managed to hang in there

Also Dan Martin rode well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFG wrote: »
    I'd give SKY a break re tactics ...none of the so called descenders like Nibali or BMC went after Bardet when he went off ...I don't think anyone could have caught him on that descent anyway

As fro Nico ...he rode very well ...his job was to accelerate at 2km ..so not expected to last long ...and that was good he could do that at that point considering at that stage Nibs, Valverde, Mollema and a whole plethora on GC had gone and he still managed to hang in there

Sky had a full pack at one stage on the second last climb. They may have managed it better when they went at the front and had more for the last climb. ITV commentary was good. They controlled the decent well to protect Froome but they were just to slow.

godtabh wrote: »
    Sky had a full pack at one stage on the second last climb. They may have managed it better when they went at the front and had more for the last climb. ITV commentary was good. They controlled the decent well to protect Froome but they were just to slow.

SKY were on the limit...I don;t think it was tactical ...they managed to bring back Bardet about 25 seconds but he was too good to be caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It was a bit strange that Nico was only on the front for about 20 seconds before Froome attacked. I wonder if that was the tactic or was Froome feeling good and he went for it. Froome got tired near the finish so it might have been better to have Nico drilling kt for another while. Nico finished an impressive 13th partly because he didn't have to drive the lead bunch on for an extended period of time.

• Advertisement

It was a bit strange that Nico was only on the front for about 20 seconds before Froome attacked. I wonder if that was the tactic or was Froome feeling good and he went for it. Froome got tired near the finish so it might have been better to have Nico drilling kt for another while. Nico finished an impressive 13th partly because he didn't have to drive the lead bunch on for an extended period of time.
    I think Nico was supposed to launch him but IMO went too hard and ran out of steam .. a bit like the TTT...needs to judge accelerations as an all out sprint won't last and puts Froome under pressure...would have been better if Nico as you stay drilled at speed without the blow out acceleration

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think Nico was supposed to launch him but IMO went too hard and ran out of steam .. a bit like the TTT...needs to judge accelerations as an all out sprint won't last and puts Froome under pressure...would have been better if Nico as you stay drilled at speed without the blow out acceleration
    he did the exact same thing a few times last year for Contador, absolute full gas for about 20 seconds. Don't get the point of it at all

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    he did the exact same thing a few times last year for Contador, absolute full gas for about 20 seconds. Don't get the point of it at all
    I don't either ...it might be nerves though as he seems to suffer from performance anxiety...abit like "oh I am on the front I better leg it" Remember alot of Nico's performances are to do with jumping at the wrong time , going too hard in the wrong place ...like the TTT ...he needs to go to hypnotist :D I imagine as last man for Froome his numbers are very good if only his head could match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Brian? wrote: »
    I don't either ...it might be nerves though as he seems to suffer from performance anxiety...abit like "oh I am on the front I better leg it" Remember alot of Nico's performances are to do with jumping at the wrong time , going too hard in the wrong place ...like the TTT ...he needs to go to hypnotist :D I imagine as last man for Froome his numbers are very good if only his head could match
    To me, it didn't look like Nico ran out of gas this time, it looked more like Froome just decided to attack. He managed 13th place, so he wasn't completely empty. A bit strange from Froome I think. Anyway I'm sure Nico will explain in his diary tomorrow.

(I do agree that there have been plenty of examples in the last year or two where Nico has hit the front while being last domestique, and has only last a very short time before he was cooked).

To me, it didn't look like Nico ran out of gas this time, it looked more like Froome just decided to attack. He managed 13th place, so he wasn't completely empty. A bit strange from Froome I think. Anyway I'm sure Nico will explain in his diary tomorrow.

(I do agree that there have been plenty of examples in the last year or two where Nico has hit the front while being last domestique, and has only last a very short time before he was cooked).
    The only other example I remember is Contador in the Tour last year ..again Nico last Dom and was very short time at front ...both seemed the same plan...launch attack by leader at 2km and Nico to put in a massive acceleration ...the thing is at that stage of race its hard to put in any acceleration by anyone unless you are Bert or Froome...so can understand why he runs out ....but its obviously a plan by SKY ..suppose 30 seconds acceleration is better than naught or in training he doesn't run out of steam which comes back to my theory on performance anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Froome looks like he has a bit more weight on him than normal. I presume that's with the first week of the Tour in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nico has his say

Advertisement