Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa América

• 05-06-2015 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

There doesn't seem to be a thread for this, so I thought I'd start one. The competition kicks off in Chile on the 11th, with the final taking place on July 4th. This years guest teams are Mexico and Jamaica.

It should be a great tournament, with so many South American countries all boasting strong sides at the moment. Brazil, Argentina, Colombia Uruguay and Chile will all be hoping to become champions. The atmosphere in Colombia should be fantastic, I'm really looking forward to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Looks like Setanta are showing all the games, so something to fill the gap for moment.

Brazil need to do well to redeem themselves over last years performance in the WC semis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pity about the times of the match thou. A bit to late for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Looks like Setanta are showing all the games, so something to fill the gap for moment.

Brazil need to do well to redeem themselves over last years performance in the WC semis.

As far as I know, they haven't lost a game since. They played Colombia a few months back and won 1-0, the Colombians were disappointed at the lack of revenge for the WC game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Headshot wrote: »
    Pity about the times of the match thou. A bit to late for me

Chile is only 4 hours behind us, an hour less than the east coast of the US.

Its not excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why is there another Copa America then next year?

Unless I imagined it, there is another in 2016 hosted in USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

One-off special to celebrate the centenary of the first ever edition, afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I love the Copa because you normally get a host of entertaining games and also because you have all the top players from Europe who everybody over here expects to be the best players in the tournament but there is always one or two players that we never heard of who make their name in this competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No Suarez :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

One-off special to celebrate the centenary of the first ever edition, afaik.

It might be on the chopping block due to all these bribes going on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Anyone else a bit peeved that they don't use rankings to determine seedings?

Chile (as hosts), Argentina and Brazil are all first seeds so they are kept apart but when the draw was made, iirc, Colombia and Uruguay were ahead of Brazil in the ranking so Brazil would've been in second seeds had the seedings been based on rankings.

I know they do it so they can avoid Brazil and Argentina in the group stages but it's a bit unfair. And that's not really necessary since they've started playing the Superclasico de America, or whatever it's called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Seeding based on rankings is just as bad tbf... if you following rankings then Belgium are #2 somehow, and Spain are 10th behind Portugal, NL, Columbia and even France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Most people in Argentina aren't particularly excited by the Copa, build up on TV has been pretty minimal. I'd be surprised to see them do to much as I get the feeling there is a lingering amount of world cup hangover. Not sure how much Messi will have in the tank either after this season's heroics and carrying the team in the WC.

Way more TV coverage for the Copa Libertadores and more column inches dedicated to the FIFA scandal in Argentina anyway, maybe Columbia and Chile are more bought into it. For whatever reason, the famous Argentine longing for European legitimacy perhaps, it's not even a 2 on the richter scale compared to the full on madness of the world cup.

At very least it'll be interesting to see how Tata Martinez approaches it, but I'd see Brazil as having more to gain here. I think they'll be driven more by the need to redeem themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Just seeing there Japan, then China were both invited but didn't play before Jamaica got involved. Disappointed Delaney didn't get us into that. It's just one let down after another.

I'm away until the semis. Enjoy the talent scouting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Colombians are definitely more excited about it, probably because they're actually good for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

All matches live on Youtube and Xbox Live in HD for free in UK and Ireland.

No tv company wanted to buy the rights so youtube got them for a pittance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dreamers75 wrote: »

Premier Sport has the UK rights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Setanta are showing them too right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CSF wrote: »
    Setanta are showing them too right?

They showing 26, Premier showing them all with Youtube and Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Will the youtube channel not be region-blocked seeing as BT/Setanta now have the rights?
    Assuming its not (or that one is in an allowed region :)) what will be the situation with commentary? Choice of different languages, or just one feed with no language?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

According to the telegraph you can't watch on youtube.
    Link here.
    Wow! Where can I watch it?

NOT YOUTUBE! Apparently. Though they did stream the 2011 tournament. Curiously the only television broadcaster showing the 2015 games is Premier Sports, which is on Sky channel 428. None of the big players like Sky or BT Sport seemed to have deemed it worthy of paying money for...oh, and if you have XBox Live you can watch it on that too.

Because of the time difference in Chile (five hours behind), games will kick off at 8pm, 10pm and 12:30am BST, making it the perfect accompaniment to bedtime.

• Advertisement

That's really ****. Will have to have a look at what they do and don't have. Any standout games that aren't on Setanta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The Xbox it is so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Think il try and watch some of this this year. Never really paid much attention to it before.

About what times are the matches on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

jonny666 wrote: »
    Think il try and watch some of this this year. Never really paid much attention to it before.

About what times are the matches on?

Ko times range between 8 and 12:30 I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Did a tenner bet on messi for top scorer. I have a feeling it will be aguero though

They showing 26, Premier showing them all with Youtube and Xbox.
    Turns out there only is 26 right? So Setanta are showing them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

kfallon wrote: »
    No Suarez :(

Well thats just ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Balls, I just signed up for premier after seeing an ad on the train this morning. Still 2 months for £10 isn't bad, I can use it for the gah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

How do you get the Xbox streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Not working for Setanta or anything, but €10 for 2 months sounds good value with Copa America, UFC and the Baku Games

I'm a big sports buff though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

A bit crap that nowhere else is showing this, would have liked to watch the games but don't have setanta or xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

CHQXIN4WoAElu6_.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Anyone know how to watch this on Xbox or YouTube?

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Bet365 are streaming them mate if you have an account with them? You don't need to place a bet either from what I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Paully D wrote: »
    Bet365 are streaming them mate if you have an account with them? You don't need to place a bet either from what I've been told.

With bet365, you just need funds in your account. I've had a euro in there for about 2 years and I can watch their live streams if I ever need to.

Very handy, legal way to watch sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Should be the official channel on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/CopaAmerica

edit: Seems not...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

After that rendition of the national anthem I wouldn't like to be Ecuador, they're very fired up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Ray Hudson baby.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Ray Hudson baby.

Where are you getting Hudson? Cos he ain't on setanta

• Advertisement

Bein. He's doing my head in already.

Great chance for Alexis there, should have scored.

Paully D wrote: »
    Bein. He's doing my head in already.

Great chance for Alexis there, should have scored.

Darn, Setanta have 1 commentator and the video quality suggests that they may be illegally streaming this.

On a random BEIN stream,Spanish commentary would probably be more intelligible than Hudson.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

Mickey mouse tournament lads, only colombia are any good outside of the big 2

Chile look handy here as they did at the World Cup. Outside of those 4 i can't imagine any other team winning it with Uruguay sans Suarez and Mexico sending a second string team.

Nice play there.

Go to bed then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

Oat23 wrote: »
    Go to bed then.

Just back from the cinema thanks and am enjoying some Netflix now. Enjoy the match

There's something inherently enjoyable about watching Jefferson Montero play football, you always feel he is on the verge of breaking the sound barrier.

Also loving the PE teacher style angry referee.

Some beautiful build up play in the first half. Joy to watch.

Hudson is annoying, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement