Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa América

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I said it earlier in this thread about a comparison between Messi and Maradona. Maradona would have dragged his team to a win in this game in 90 minutes but Messi just doesn't seem capable of that. Maradona is still better than him for me anyways and I love watching Messi play.

I'm also one that wants to see a new player come along and claim the mantle of the greatest. I'm not one that holds the previous generation above the current.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Argentina, with Messi, Higuain, Lavezzi, Banega all on the pitch are just whacking it forward. They've moved Messi closer to Higuain but unless he grows about a foot in the next 15 minutes it's probably not gonna make much difference.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I said it earlier in this thread about a comparison between Messi and Maradona. Maradona would have dragged his team to a win in this game in 90 minutes but Messi just doesn't seem capable of that. Maradona is still better than him for me anyways and I love watching Messi play.

I'm also one that wants to see a new player come along and claim the mantle of the greatest. I'm not one that holds the previous generation above the current.

With Tata Martino in charge a frontline of Messi, Maradona and Pele would still probably find a way to be average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He's coming off a very long season where he's won a treble and played almost every minute of every game. If you are also to believe reports his family and Aguero's were attacked before the game by Chile supporters so that's probably not aiding his motivation. However he looks like the only player capable of playing accurate forward passes consistently and to break the lines so, ye, there's that.

You really don't get it do you? Messi is lazy. The reason he gets away with it is because of his Genius. Also helps that Barcelona are such an awesome team. They can afford to just let Messi worry about the offensive side of the game and fade in and out. Simply planting Messi on the half way line to defend set pieces is an effective form of defence.

Watch any game Messi plays he walks for most of the time. That's Messi. He simply isn't arsed into doing anything else but create link and score/assist. On the rarest of occasions he will
    Track back. This mostly only occurs from an error by himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Incredible speed by Zabaleta there...vital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Messi is lazy. He will age poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

In the age of digital music we still manage to have a broken record in this thread.

Turtwig wrote: »
    You really don't get it do you? Messi is lazy. The reason he gets away with it is because of his Genius. Also helps that Barcelona are such an awesome team. They can afford to just let Messi worry about the offensive side of the game and fade in and out. Simply planting Messi on the half way line to defend set pieces is an effective form of defence.

Watch any game Messi plays he walks for most of the time. That's Messi. He simply isn't arsed into doing anything else but create link and score/assist. On the rarest of occasions he will

I'm not saying he does charge about the place but his defensive figures for this season under Enrique were actually quite impressive, obviously he's there for his attacking output which is sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

With Tata Martino in charge a frontline of Messi, Maradona and Pele would still probably find a way to be average.

Your posts just make zero sense.... how, how would it. Messi didn't find it hard to play against Paraguay with the same system and was.world class. Tonight in a game where he has been crowded out, kicked and presses every second of the game. He's produced diddly squat. Of course you keep making as many excuses as you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tevez would have been well suited to this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Turtwig wrote: »

He wasnt always like this. Earlier in his career he was fitter and chased and harried for the whole game. I think he just feels he doesn't have to any more. The difference in his work rate now and 5 or 6 years ago is frightening.

CSF wrote: »
    Tevez would have been well suited to this game.

Can't understand why Hiquain is on instead.

Vidal tonight, some player. Everywhere

Kirby wrote: »
    He wasnt always like this. Earlier in his career he was fitter and chased and harried for the whole game. I think he just feels he doesn't have to any more. The difference in his work rate now and 5 or 6 years ago is frightening.

Maybe growth hormones have taken there toll. Maybe the doctor leaving barca has seen a decline in drugs being used :)

Your posts just make zero sense.... how, how would it. Messi didn't find it hard to play against Paraguay with the same system and was.world class. Tonight in a game where he has been crowded out, kicked and presses every second of the game. He's produced diddly squat. Of course you keep making as many excuses as you want.

Ok if I need to explain how playing against a well organized, aggressive side like Chile compares to a Paraguay team chasing the game then basically not playing the last third of the game then why would I possibly want to continue this conversation, it should be common sense.

Maybe growth hormones have taken there toll. Maybe the doctor leaving barca has seen a decline in drugs being used :)

That treble burns some people up inside.

• Advertisement

Any of your previous posts have just all credibility with this drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Sanchez's work rate defies belief. He never stops running.

Ok if I need to explain how playing against a well organized, aggressive side like Chile compares to a Paraguay team chasing the game then basically not playing the last third of the game then why would I possibly want to continue this conversation, it should be common sense.

Good god almighty, just STOP posting you're actually an utter embarrassment. Just remember read your last post.

Vidal, Mendel or Mascherano standout players for me tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I was under the impression that he had increased his workrate from January until the end of the season,compared to the last 2 seasons ?

First thing he did when he scored the goal against man utd in the 2011 final was press high. Only on the rarest occasions does he do it now. Enrique whipped him into shape anyway. Almost lost his job because of it. Now he's fit but still lazy, which weirdly makes him more frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Messi is lazy. He will age poorly.

That doesn't make sense though. If Hes lazy and doesn't charge around chasing the ball how will age affect it?

He conserves his energy and plays in little spurts, usually relying on skill, balance and his brain. It's actually that type of player that age doesn't diminish too much. I'd suggest Alexis and tevez as players that age will really hamper.

Good god almighty, just STOP posting you're actually an utter embarrassment. Just remember read your last post.

Vidal, Mendel or Mascherano standout players for me tonight.

I agree, you don't warrant replies.

Any of your previous posts have just all credibility with this drivel.

Most people would see the smiley face in jest, clearly jokes and giggles are lost on some.

Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Has the soccer forum turned into major bitchfests of late???

I was under the impression that he had increased his workrate from January until the end of the season ?

Marginally but its still much lower than it was. And its not like hes 35. Hes supposedly in his prime but as brilliant as he is, he isnt the team player he was before.

corny wrote: »
    Sanchez's work rate defies belief. He never stops running.

I'm convinced there's a diesel engine hidden inside him.

Vidal must be nearing 14km by now!

tastyt wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense though. If Hes lazy and doesn't charge around chasing the ball how will age affect it?

He conserves his energy and plays in little spurts, usually relying on skill, balance and his brain. It's actually that type of player that age doesn't diminish too much. I'd suggest Alexis and tevez as players that age will really hamper.

Turn on your sarcasm radar.

Marginally but its still much lower than it was. And its not like hes 35. Hes supposedly in his prime but as brilliant as he is, he isnt the team player he was before.

That's a bit harsh now...his assists tally is off the charts considering his goal tally and if anything he's more of a creator now than he has ever been seeing as Xavi and Iniesta are pushing on/past it. Doesn't run around as much, yes (which I believe is one reason why he's less injured now), but less of a team player? No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xavier Hernandez getting old is the reason for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Turn on your sarcasm radar.

Turn off your computer, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Lovely, a penalty shoot-out.

Vidal is a joke...how he keeps going is mental

The Chileans don't deserve to lose.

Hope Messi misses. His self indulgence has bothered me tonight.

Really hate penalty shoot-outs...especially in very chance limited games like this.

That the conversation on this forum has turned to blaming Messi rather than commenting on Martino's setup (Argentina literally flinging balls from back to front for like 50 minutes and the crazy isolation of Argentina's two best players) is laughable but I suppose kind of predictable too.

Thats true.
    I thought he was injured for the second half of last season (Jan 2014-June 2014) and that was limiting his workrate but it seems now that its laziness.

Of course he could still have some injury or condition like Ronaldo's tendinitis that limits his mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The fouling of Messi became absolutely farcical.

That's a bit harsh now...his assists tally is off the charts considering his goal tally and if anything he's more of a creator now than he has ever been seeing as Xavi and Iniesta are pushing on/past it. Doesn't run around as much, yes (which I believe is one reason why he's less injured now), but less of a team player? No way.

Wasn't aware that being deemed a good or bad team player was based on how many assists you have.

I'd suggest you take a look at the likes of Vidal, Mendel and Mascherano. That's what you class as team player's.

Players who track and chase at every opportunity and put themselves ahead of their own personal gain. Then again if he did that he wouldnt be the world class player he is today

I'd fancy Bravo to save a couple of penalties ,he is a great shot stopper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Smashing penalty!

Perfect penalty.

Lottery? My arse. Take them like that and its unstoppable.

That the conversation on this forum has turned to blaming Messi rather than commenting on Martino's setup (Argentina literally flinging balls from back to front for like 50 minutes and the crazy isolation of Argentina's two best players) is laughable but I suppose kind of predictable too.

Zidane came back for the French in 2006 and in spite of that Tarrot card reading lunatic Domenech pulled the French together to reach the final. Manger shouldn't matter to personal standards. Messi has done nothing to lead his team.

What a pen

Thats true.
    I thought he was injured for the second half of last season (Jan 2014-June 2014) and that was limiting his workrate but it seems now that its laziness.

Of course he could still have some injury or condition like Ronaldo's tendinitis that limits his mileage.

Peps physio (now at bayern) encouraged keeping him to short sprints to minimise risks to his hamstring. So that was a factor. Not enough to explain how much he slacked off though.

He's still a team player though. Great game intelligence His assists count for barca was very good. Had barca being more clinical in the first half of the season it would have been way more!

Another excellent peno. To be expected.

• Advertisement

Why do you change the goalposts....
    No one is blaming Messi. He's simply not played good tonight....as have a lot of Argentina players. But when anyone calls out a specific performance such as tonight it turns into well he's done this and that and x an u. All of which have no relevance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Messsssssiiiiiiiii!!! What a genuis.

Lucky Arturo......

Jaysus. Baggio eat your heart out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Higuain misses and it's hardly a surprise

• Advertisement
Advertisement