Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa América

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Bottled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Jesus Gonzalo. That was high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Boom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Another brilliant peno. So, so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Has Higuain always been such a massive bottler?

The Argie keeper is flapping at these.

Chile have the better peno takers. They win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Terrible penalty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Never looked confident

Balls of steel..... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You are a naughty boy, Alexis :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Chile looked uber confident in their ability to take a penalty!

Get in. Delighted . Deadly peno. Class

What a win. Fitting it was Sanchez too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Well done Chile!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

what a final penalty haha

Delighted for Chile. Argentina were brtual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

At that is just awesome, delighted to see Chile win it. Delighted for all their players, they put everything into it every game.

So cheeky from Alexis but so delighted for him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Woohoo! Go Sanchez! Go Chile!

Pleased for the Chileans. Lovely end for Sanchez.

• Advertisement

Argentina will never win a tournament jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Gbear wrote: »
    Has Higuain always been such a massive bottler?

Always suspect under pressure.
    Often scuffs vital chances .

Justice done for Chile,that Argentinian team were awful to watch ,they played like a Mourinho team.

AndersonIsGod soliloquy in 3....2....1.....

No?

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Disappointed to see Chile win that, thought Argentina deserved it on the balance of things but all the same credit to Chile. Stopped Messi the only way he could be stopped in ET. Referee was woeful, how Chile didn't get a man sent off at some point..

Kirby wrote: »

No?

Haha. In 5, no doubt criticising everyone bare you know who

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

What a penalty.

Watching the crowd and the players you can see how important this competition is. Great final.

• Advertisement

No?

My mistress's eyes are nothing like the Sun...

Big Sam agrees with AIG ,blames the manager for not having a go for it

Haha. In 5, no doubt criticising everyone bare you know who

Messi took a great penalty to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

The better team won in the end.

Argentina had their chances, lavezzi, higuain, etc. were atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Delighted for Messi... ;)

• Advertisement

There won't be an alpaca milked in Chile for a week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Wasn't aware that being deemed a good or bad team player was based on how many assists you have.

I'd suggest you take a look at the likes of Vidal, Mendel and Mascherano. That's what you class as team player's.

Players who track and chase at every opportunity and put themselves ahead of their own personal gain. Then again if he did that he wouldnt be the world class player he is today
    Why do you change the goalposts....
    No one is blaming Messi. He's simply not played good tonight....as have a lot of Argentina players. But when anyone calls out a specific performance such as tonight it turns into well he's done this and that and x an u. All of which have no relevance

Change the goalposts? Read the posts, people questioning Messi's workrate and how much of a team player he is (that one did make me chuckle admittedly) rather than noticing what is going on in front of them on the pitch, that being that Argentina were reduced to long ball stuff.
    The other post I quoted is inane stuff, it's the kind of thing which I'd just ignore if I got something like that on Twitter, it's so wrong and ill-informed I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Messi took a great penalty to be fair.

Yup. Did nothing inside the 120.

AIG is in a corner fapping

how much of a team player he is (that one did make me chuckle admittedly)

But he isnt.

He doesnt work as much off the ball as he used to. Thats a fact. You cant just shrug it off.

We can talk about the reason for such things as thats opinion. The fact that he doesnt work as hard isnt up for debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Decent enough game to watch there now, Messi was pretty dung but Zabeletta was awful throughout I thought. Loved the very first penalty by Fernández!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Delighted. I had Chile backed since before the tournament.

I think they're deserving winners as well.

9b802f562ddfbdcab9e518fb952143cf.png

Gracias, Chile!

If the rumours are true and Arsenal have gotten Vidal......it's an amazing capture.

But he isnt.

He doesnt work as much off the ball as he used to. Thats a fact. You cant just shrug it off.

We can talk about the reason for such things as thats opinion. The fact that he doesnt work as hard isnt up for debate.

There is no doubt Messi doesnt work as hard as a few years ago but you'd think that he'd up his workrate for the final ,a one off match.
    No need to be lazy ,he has a nice holiday to look forward to.

Pat Nevin just said international football is more technical than club level .
    Whats he smoking ?
    If the rumours are true and Arsenal have gotten Vidal......it's an amazing capture.
    He isnt going to Arsenal ,that story was just fabricated like so many transfer stories nowadays.
    He is reported to be going to Reakl Madrid now.

If any team was to get him it would be the signing of the summer. If he can get his injuries under control again he'll be phenomenal.

• Advertisement

Dara Ó Briain
    @daraobriain
    Alexis Sanchez does a Penanka on the final penalty, in his national stadium, to end a 99 year trophy drought. The sheer massive cojones.

Anyway Chile deserve a tonne of credit, best organised side at the tournament by a mile, in comparison the Argentine team looked like it had all of the organisational preparation of a Sunday league team, I'd say it was a joke but it wasn't, it was another letdown from a federation who have gone out of their way to sabotage their greatest chances for success sine the Maradona days. It's not as though Argentina don't produce coaches, afterall 7 of the 8 coaches in the quarter finals hailed from Argentina. Chile's manager, Jorge Sampaoli, hails from Argentina. Yet Argentina employed Tata Martino and you know what you get with Tata, you get direct football, you get isolated attackers, you get negativity and the constant sense that your defensive structure is moments away from cracking in transitions. He's simply not suited to the job. His Paraguay side were very good at containing and counter attacking but that doesn't cut it with Argentina, when he needs to set up a proactive team he has been found wanting time and again. I could go on all day about Tata Martino and his managerial shortcomings but I wont. I will simply say, when the next Copa rolls around (next year) they must have a different manager in place, that's not an assessment based on tonights game only, that's an assessment based on an entire tournament.

All in all a pretty dour tournament with few goals, much playacting and a standard of refereeing so bad that if they some of them showed up in the park in the morning they'd be chased off the pitch.

But he isnt.

Right lets go for it. What quantifies being a teamplayer? What are the criteria because I feel 100% safe (that's a pretty high percentage) that none of his Barcelona teammates would class him as anything but a model teamplayer.

Again I will say, his defensive stats are up big time this season. He retrieves the ball more, he intercepts more, he tackles more. Is he Luis Suarez or Pedro like in his closing down? No, but he will go and cover his wing back when the opposition go to play out and if he senses there's a real chance to win the ball he will go for it. However I don't believe that running around a lot is the only thing that counts towards being a team player.

AIG stop moving those goalposts. They are heavy. You will hurt your back.

9962ab5f4a838c7e7fb7d507e5bc6163.png

AIG stop moving those goalposts. They are heavy. You will hurt your back.

Has somebody changed the meaning of that phrase and not told me? The debate was is Messi a teamplayer, that is what my post solely relates to and nothing else so I'm really confused now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Martino is that bad but they should go out and get Ricardo Gareca now and give him time to get the Argies ready for 2018.

Gareca is a class manager and could easily come to Europe and be a success but I think he prefers to stay in South America and I'm sure he would jump at the chance to manage his own national team. He was brilliant at Velez Sarsfield and he has done a great job with Peru.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

If the rumours are true and Arsenal have gotten Vidal

They're not.

They're not.

Would that they were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Messi wasn't great tonight by any means, but he had no hope in that system.

Long ball, lands at his feet, has 3 players on top of him. Rinse. Repeat.

To not even have the sense to play in a way that stretches Chile, but rather choose to isolate forward players as much as possible, and leave things mostly down to chance or a Messi miracle, well, it was mad to watch.

Credit to Chile, absolutely. I love that team. But Argentina were set up in such a disappointingly negative manner.

Advertisement