Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa América

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I think Columbia are in serious trouble. You would always give Peckerman the benefit of the doubt considering the football that he typically produces but he's going to have to have a serious rethink about how this Columbia side are going to progress in this tournament. Valencia isn't good enough to replace Aguilar and Columbia's best football came with James Rodriguez on the left and Cuadrado on the right. They were so narrow in comparison against Venezuela, possibly to accommodate Falcao.

If Brazil had Luiz Gustavo I would have them as clear favourites. But Brazil have Neymar and that just edges it for me. If Brazil play Fernandinho then I can't really see him lasting 90 minutes, especially if Columbia get any sort of a rhythm going. I think Brazil will need another piece of magic from Neymar and I'll go for 2-1 Brazil with Fernandinho getting send off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tournament definitely not catching fire, the scheduling (which has been all over the show for years) looks unwise. After a world cup surely a break was wise? Next year is a Conmebol 100 year centenary celebration with a proposed / half organised "All America" tournament in the US with additional teams involved.

This has to be the future for football in the Americas. Surely instead of 2 half ar$ed tournaments (this tournament isn't great, but the Concacaf Gold cup is a joke) they would be better off having a 24 team tournament, all americas, same time as the European Champs. TV wouldn't be a big problem as bar a few expats, no one really pays too much attention to the Euros down here.

In fairness they've had a very long international break, no competitive internationals since July of last year (or since October 2013 for the 5 teams who didn't qualify for the World Cup). Keeping them without competitive games for another 12 months would be approaching madness.
    Copa is perfect timing for them a year after the World Cup, then they can start their long qualification (18 games each) for the next World Cup. Having the Copa in the middle of WC qualification would not be good either, though obviously they will do so for next years one off.

I think you are trying to shoehorn them into a European schedule which works well for Europe but isn't a natural fit for the South American structure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Neymar will certainly be one of Brazils great players if he continues on the same path, there hasn't been any evidence to suggest otherwise with his continued improvement. Early over exaggeration is equally as bad as supposed nostalgia towards other past players though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

In fairness they've had a very long international break, no competitive internationals since July of last year (or since October 2013 for the 5 teams who didn't qualify for the World Cup). Keeping them without competitive games for another 12 months would be approaching madness.
    Copa is perfect timing for them a year after the World Cup, then they can start their long qualification (18 games each) for the next World Cup. Having the Copa in the middle of WC qualification would not be good either, though obviously they will do so for next years one off.

I think you are trying to shoehorn them into a European schedule which works well for Europe but isn't a natural fit for the South American structure.

That's the opposite of what I am suggesting, given that I am currently in South America. I think you're possibly a little removed from the reality of the situation. In terms of consistent, ongoing public interest in the Copa America and the Copa de Oro..it is far below the level of the World Cup, and still far below the level of interest in the Euros for a Euro audience.

A lot of people couldn't tell you who won the last one. Seriously. Not just in the World Cup obsessed / quasi European (so they like to believe) Argentinians. Am just back from a work visit in Brazil, they are interested of course, but passionate, dying to see them win. No, not really.

The Copa has been consistently moved around, leagues shut down and start up again without too much protest to facilitate it. Same with world cups. Not sure if you are not ironically thinking about the impact on the leagues from a european perspective were they are more powerful and they so have more impact. Here they do pretty much as they are told.

You do have a point about lack of meaningful games this season, but that's a short term correction in the calendar. Given that the discussion for an extended Copa are well advanced for next year that's not a disruption that's unheard. Again, I think it's European thinking to imagine tournaments and leagues happening at the same scheduled time in South America. Doesn't happen. For logistical and cost based reasons both Brasil and Argentina have yet to land upon a satisfactory league structure and schedule. For both the good of the game domestically and internationally South, North & Central America need to schedule meaningful tournaments at club and international level to tap into and incorporate the US $$ market. Especially with the increased latino demographic in the US from central america and south america.

In short, it's chaos down here. A "correction" bringing the American game in line with world cup (tournament in the interim feeding off the lull + boosting continent wide rivalries)... (conmebol and concacaf outside the carribean would need no qualifiers for an Americas cup) would help bring anchor the calendar and bring some much needed consistency to a semi chaotic region in terms of the shifting nature of the local tournaments. The Libertadores is on life support if the mexicans don't really get involved, the US teams would breath new life into it. Money is flowing out of the South and Central American game, at least locally, beyond the exported players...dragging the US and Mexicans into real and meaningful competition is the necessary measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Ronaldo played with some world class players at club level but never in a trio like Neymar currently has at Barca. Obviously the likes of Figo and Zidane were incredible players but they just werent Messi.

Just imagine a fully fit and firing Ronaldo in a trio with Suarez and Messi, nobody would compete with that.

I'm sorry but if you think a front 3 of Ronaldo, Figo and Zidane in the pomp is inferior to Neymar, Suarez and Messi you're way off.

Zidane is on the same level as the all time greats. The only players still playing football right now who are at his level are the likes of Buffon, Messi and Ronaldo. Players who will be considered some of the best of all time.

Figo was THE best winger of a generation and Ronaldo is, probably, the most naturally gifted number 9 of all time.

That front 3 is peerless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

That's the opposite of what I am suggesting, given that I am currently in South America. I think you're possibly a little removed from the reality of the situation. In terms of consistent, ongoing public interest in the Copa America and the Copa de Oro..it is far below the level of the World Cup, and still far below the level of interest in the Euros for a Euro audience.

A lot of people couldn't tell you who won the last one. Seriously. Not just in the World Cup obsessed / quasi European (so they like to believe) Argentinians. Am just back from a work visit in Brazil, they are interested of course, but passionate, dying to see them win. No, not really.

The Copa has been consistently moved around, leagues shut down and start up again without too much protest to facilitate it. Same with world cups. Not sure if you are not ironically thinking about the impact on the leagues from a european perspective were they are more powerful and they so have more impact. Here they do pretty much as they are told.

You do have a point about lack of meaningful games this season, but that's a short term correction in the calendar. Given that the discussion for an extended Copa are well advanced for next year that's not a disruption that's unheard. Again, I think it's European thinking to imagine tournaments and leagues happening at the same scheduled time in South America. Doesn't happen. For logistical and cost based reasons both Brasil and Argentina have yet to land upon a satisfactory league structure and schedule. For both the good of the game domestically and internationally South, North & Central America need to schedule meaningful tournaments at club and international level to tap into and incorporate the US $$ market. Especially with the increased latino demographic in the US from central america and south america.

In short, it's chaos down here. A "correction" bringing the American game in line with world cup (tournament in the interim feeding off the lull + boosting continent wide rivalries)... (conmebol and concacaf outside the carribean would need no qualifiers for an Americas cup) would help bring anchor the calendar and bring some much needed consistency to a semi chaotic region in terms of the shifting nature of the local tournaments. The Libertadores is on life support if the mexicans don't really get involved, the US teams would breath new life into it. Money is flowing out of the South and Central American game, at least locally, beyond the exported players...dragging the US and Mexicans into real and meaningful competition is the necessary measure.

America being devided between CONMEBOL and CONCACAF make no sense at all.

CONCACAF has 41 members, CONMEBOL has 10.

Combining them makes far more sense commercially, competitively and developmentally for both the continental game and the future of nations like The US, Mexico and co on a world stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Bol 2-0 up against Ecu, good game, expecting Ecuador to get back into it.

Pen to Ecu, very soft one.....goal......no...retake.......save.

Pen to Bol, another soft one.....goal, 3-0.

Still wouldn't be surprised if Ecuador clawed it back for some reason.

• Advertisement

Comeback on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What a goal.

Game on.

3-2, 10 minutes left, excellent game.

Cmon, off the bar.

Shucks.

Ecuador deserved at least a point.

Chile v Mexico should be another good game.

Ecuador could easily have won, the Bolivians need snorkels their so close to sea level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Great game, really enjoyed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What channel are these on or have i missed tonights game ?

• Advertisement

Mexico B team one up.

What a response!!

Vidal header.

Another stunning header, Mex up 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Very interesting game so far.

Whats the story with the Mexico team, how come they're fielding a weakened team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Very interesting game so far.

Whats the story with the Mexico team, how come they're fielding a weakened team?

Saving the first team for the Gold Cup next month

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Saving the first team for the Gold Cup next month

ah, gotcha, shame. Would have liked their first team in the better competition, but it makes sense to go big on the easier cup and really push to win it.

2-2, great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I wish I'd backed Vidal instead of Sanchez for top scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I wish I'd backed Vidal instead of Sanchez for top scorer.

Was only thinking there, I'd say people who heavily backed Sanchez feel sick. Vidal/Vargas both already on 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What channel are these on or have i missed tonights game ?

Setanta.

Penalty Chile.

Vidal, 3-2.

Doppelganger of the Chilean coach in the crowd.

Should be 4-2.

Goddamn, 3-3.

• Advertisement

What a ball, what a finish.

Holy ****, this game is an absolute cracker!

Deserved a goal.

Another poor offside call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That sums up Chile alot

Always over playing

• Advertisement

GG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ah, gotcha, shame. Would have liked their first team in the better competition, but it makes sense to go big on the easier cup and really push to win it.

Winning the Gold Cup will get them into the play off with the USA with the winners going to the Confederations Cup, giving them a heads up on what Russia will be like for the World Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Winning the Gold Cup will get them into the play off with the USA with the winners going to the Confederations Cup, giving them a heads up on what Russia will be like for the World Cup

Are you sure it's a playoff scenario? My understanding is that the closest competition winner goes to the Confederation Cup...

EDIT: Google is my friend, playoff will happen later this year if necessary (i.e. if the US don't win the Gold Cup for a second time in succession).

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Are you sure it's a playoff scenario? My understanding is that the closest competition winner goes to the Confederation Cup...

Yea there is a play off as there has been 2 Gold Cups played since the last Confederations Cup, USA won the 1st one, so if another team wins this year there is a play off, if USA wins then they go on into the Confederation Cup

The Gold Cup and the Copa America should really be merged to make a new competition called the Copa America.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    The Gold Cup and the Copa America should really be merged to make a new competition called the Copa America.

Lets see how this goes next summer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am%C3%A9rica_Centenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Where can i watch the argentina game?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Where can i watch the argentina game?

Setanta 1, Xbox live or Bein sports(the old fashioned way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Messi and Di Maria caught mocking the half time teamtalk on Sunday, whether it was Tata Martino they were mocking or not nobody is sure:

Leo Messi: What was he saying in the dressing room, some nonsense?”
    Angel Di Maria: That it won’t be an easy result”. (Both Laugh.)

Wasn't Messi at this in the World Cup, rumours of him not getting on with the manager, I think in the semi final he may have walked away from the huddle on the pitch with the manager during extra time tho I may be wrong on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Seems Messi doesnt get on with most managers tbh.

He is far from whiter than white these days

• Advertisement
Advertisement