Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copa América

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Argentina and Brazil have much the same approach when it comes to appointing managers that are sub standard compared to what their players are used to at club level but I can't see the Brazilian players mocking Dunga.

In saying that the clip sounds like it was dubbed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Headshot wrote: »
    Seems Messi doesnt get on with most managers tbh.

He is far from whiter than white these days

He's the best footballer in the world, maybe the best player ever. He plays for one of the great clubs in Europe, where he has worked with some of the best managers, and he plays for one of the great footballing nations where he should, rightly, expect to have a manager of a high standard. Tata Martino is absolutely not that. It was summed up in that very game, at 2-1 with Paraguay starting to gain control of the match Tata takes off Aguero and Pastore (a midfielder) and throws on Tevez and Higuain (2 strikers) with Tevez on the left wing. It was a mess and they conceded the equaliser.

This Argentina side, with their massive quality and with Messi, should win this tournament the only thing that can stop them is Tata Martino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well that was just awful and after last night's game it was just such a letdown.

What a gaffe by the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

He's the best footballer in the world, maybe the best player ever. He plays for one of the great clubs in Europe, where he has worked with some of the best managers, and he plays for one of the great footballing nations where he should, rightly, expect to have a manager of a high standard. Tata Martino is absolutely not that. It was summed up in that very game, at 2-1 with Paraguay starting to gain control of the match Tata takes off Aguero and Pastore (a midfielder) and throws on Tevez and Higuain (2 strikers) with Tevez on the left wing. It was a mess and they conceded the equaliser.

This Argentina side, with their massive quality and with Messi, should win this tournament the only thing that can stop them is Tata Martino.

As a matter of interest what did you think of the can of coke story with Guardiola?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Head meet desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Argentina were genuinely poor in the last 20 minutes, before and after the subs. They had no one to blame but themselves for throwing that game away, players and manager included.

kfallon wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what did you think of the can of coke story with Guardiola?

A story that Messi refutes and probably has no basis in reality.

Corholio wrote: »
    Argentina were genuinely poor in the last 20 minutes, before and after the subs. They had no one to blame but themselves for throwing that game away, players and manager included.

I'm not at all convinced by Martino, a great manager makes changes that positively influence his team, Martino's only had a negative effect, how could anyone think taking Pastore off and throwing Tevez onto the left wing was ever going to be a good idea. In my opinion this guy is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A story that Messi refutes and probably has no basis in reality.

Did Guardiola refute it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Great anthem that.

Arg anthem muy cool.

Did Guardiola refute it?

Maybe, I don't know but I'm sure he never confirmed it either.

Atmosphere is rocking for this game tonight!

Biglia a weak link.

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Biglia a weak link.

That side, along with Rojo, is pretty weak to be honest,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Biglia a weak link.

Banega should be there instead.

Lovely ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I can see it being a classic whenever Chile and Argentina meet. Probably in the final.

Brazilian ref must speak Spanish.

We were spoiled last night.

• Advertisement

We were spoiled last night.

This is still a good game but in a different kinda way.

Yawn, Argentina unable to rise above it.

I thought that was a great first half.

Argentina with most of the chances but I think the best opportunity fell to uraguay.

It was an interesting half. Uruguay so content to simply hack the ball anywhere for about half an hour, Argentina became more frustrated and allowed Uruguay into the game more.

Messi frustrated with the service he is getting, annoyed at how slowly Argentina are moving the ball from side to side. He's having to drop ridiculously deep and yet he still conjured a couple of magic moments and his ability to break the line with incisive short passing from the center of the pitch is out of this world.

Also impressed with Pastore, fluffed his lines a couple of times but he's brilliant to watch and is finding spaces behind the Uruguay midfield line.

I think Ruud Gullit and Christian Vieri are drunk on BeIn Sports.

Dull half. Argentina struggling to have any ideas how to break Uruguay down. Argentina defence poor on crosses, as is par for their course, especially with Garay there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Aguero is getting better.

Nice, great play from Pastore.

Brilliant goal! Aguero's finish is magnificent and shows great ingenuity, Zabaleta's driven cross is just right but it's Javier Pastore that makes that goal, such clever, brave work on the edge of the box makes that goal possible, its not surprising how much of a role he's played in the opening goal, the PSG playmaker has been terrific.

• Advertisement

Messi turning up the heat in Chile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The game is getting Messi now, Rolan the final whistle.

Masherano is a likeable chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What a miss by Rolan !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Some shenanigans and stuff but quite entertaining is this game... Red a bit lenient with the cards which might be a good thing all things considered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Messi and Di Maria caught mocking the half time teamtalk on Sunday, whether it was Tata Martino they were mocking or not nobody is sure:

Leo Messi: What was he saying in the dressing room, some nonsense?”
    Angel Di Maria: That it won’t be an easy result”. (Both Laugh.)

Wasn't Messi at this in the World Cup, rumours of him not getting on with the manager, I think in the semi final he may have walked away from the huddle on the pitch with the manager during extra time tho I may be wrong on that.

Caution is advised here. The Madrid based media will stir up a rumour wherever they can. So too will some of the Argentinean media who hold Messi to a unrealistic pedestal. It's a cliche but there's nothing that the media loves more than turning the hero into the villain.

Messi is a very intelligent player and in Spain it's common place for coaches and players to discuss tactics. That's a good thing imo. As a manager cannot always see what the player does and vice versa. All too often the lay media see valid disagreements as dissent. It might be dissent in some cases, or even outright revolt. But then again it might not.

When there's believed to be story all other signs to the contrary are ignored. Case in point, Luis Enrique substituted Messi against Eibar. Despite the fact that Messi clearly gave Enrique a "thumbs up" that little detail was conveniently left out - and most English press were none the wiser. They just parroted the claims, like the media did with a fake scientific study investigating health benefits of chocolate.

Is that saying I don't believe Messi drank coca cola? No. I'm confident he did. I'm also confident himself and Enrique fell into a war path and if wasn't for Xavi Barca's treble would likely have been a naughty.

I am however always skeptical of video segments that purport to demonstrate something. We don't know the context. We don't know the authenticity or reliability. We don't know even know who's been spoken about. Too much speculation to make from sources I don't think should be considered reliable.

Tl;dr. There's an awful lot of distorted clap trap out there in attempt to denigrate Messi. Be wary of the reliability of the claims. Some of the claims about Messi are very likely true (the text, the coke, the furore at referee Enrique). Most though aren't.

A decent set piece team would put a few past Argentina. Horrific at all sorts of crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Vidal involved in a crash overnight & arrested for drink driving.

Vidal was arrested and will be charged. The Chilean FA and Sampaoli have decided he will stay in the squad for the tournament. He has tearfully apologised on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

That's a nice message to send to the youth of Chile.

Yeah it's a highly questionable decision. On the other hand, he hasn't been found guilty of anything.

If he is found to be the cause, it's an awful decision to let him stay in the squad. They could have at least said until an internal investigation was done or something.

If he is found to be the cause, it's an awful decision to let him stay in the squad. They could have at least said until an internal investigation was done or something.

And ruin there best chances of winning the Copa? Never gonna happen

An awful decision in terms of doing the right thing I meant of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Some things have to be more important than football, even in South America. I wouldn't feel as strongly about it if he had run into a checkpoint and blown over the limit, but he was so wasted he crashed his car. He could have killed someone.

• Advertisement

An awful decision in terms of doing the right thing I meant of course.

Although he is guilty and it will be proved. Could you imagine the outrage if they didn't play him and he was 'innocent'? There would be outrage. But I of course see where your coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They wouldn't even have to exclude him definitely, just put something like 'until an internal investigation is concluded'. But just brazenly saying he'll play on before any sort of substantial look into it, innocent or guilty, was the wrong way to go about it.

Let's hope that tonight's matches aren't car crashes.

Only the one match tonight, cmon Brazil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement