Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders affecting motion sensor

Options
  • 06-06-2015 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

We've been having an ongoing issue with a home alarm where the motion sensors are triggered by a spider crawling across the sensor. There are some plug in devices which are supposed to repel spiders installed in the house. Obviously this always happens late at night at an inopportune time!
    The system is just motion sensors, no alarms on doors/windows. I'm wondering does anyone have any advice on how to reduce the incidence of false alarms which happen every few weeks sometimes?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you getting all these as activations from spiders?
    Clean around all the detectors regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cailin8

after some of the alarms we have seen spiders or cobwebs around the sensors and assume they triggered the alarm. I suppose it just needs more frequent cleaning, however the house is unoccupied at the moment so was just wondering if anyone had any additional advice for keeping spiders away! Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Cleaning around the detectors regularly would be the best advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

I think thats a myth, have never come across motion sensors being triggered by spiders.
    Do you have any heat source in the path of the pirs?
    There is often a jumper or switch inside pirs which can reduce the sensitivity of the pir you could try that first and see how that works.
    If not then next thing to do is replace the pir that gives false alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think thats a myth, have never come across motion sensors being triggered by spiders.
    Do you have any heat source in the path of the pirs?
    There is often a jumper or switch inside pirs which can reduce the sensitivity of the pir you could try that first and see how that works.
    If not then next thing to do is replace the pir that gives false alarms.

Really?

I would say that it's very common. I have often found spiders inside beams as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Really?

I would say that it's very common. I have often found spiders inside beams as well.

Me also, that is the first time I have heard a techy say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

On the very rare occasion when I had a faulty pir I would just switch it and the problem would go away, never actually considered a spider might be actually inside the thing. Do spiders actually give off heat?

I actually had this in my own system last week.
    Heard the entry time start and went down the stairs to see a big one half way across the PiR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

KoolKid wrote: »
    I actually had this in my own system last week.
    Heard the entry time start and went down the stairs to see a big one half way across the PiR.

Did you kill him?:D

No,
    Your in an evil mood this morning :):):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement