Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weapons Culture in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Thanks, I'll look into it locally.

From the Shooting forum Important & Useful Information thread:
    Details and Contacts for Clay Pigeon Clubs and Rifle/Pistol Ranges in Ireland

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I would never like to legalise guns here as thatd be ridicilous.

Civilians have been able to own licensed firearms in the ROI since the foundation of the state. Due to the fact that licensed firearms holders respect and uphold the law people like you don't even realize that there are in excess of 200,000 legally held sporting firearms owned by civilians in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

I've fired a .177 at my uncle's a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

I love shooting guns.

It's like having two penises, but one of them has the ability to kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

There are a large amount of unlicensed and illegally held firearms in the state. Anything from .22 and across the whole spectrum. To think otherwise is silly.

I agree that it is not necessary for every citizen to have a firearm, just for the sake of it. There really is no need. The argument of owning a firearm for "self defence" purposes is a weak one.

If it were the case that we could all legally own one for self defence, I believe that gun crime, accidental shootings and spontaneous or shootings caused by lapses of emotional judgement would be prevalent. That's not a society in which I would like to live.

Having various firearms for sporting / hunting / recreational use is fine by me, It's legitimate. Most firearms holders are responsible people with no nefarious reasons for having one.

I'm happy that the majority of AGS are not armed. Even the most well trained can get caught up in a tense moment and needlessly fire a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Darpa

Samaris wrote: »

Have you ever fired a gun?

Yes, thousands of rounds
    Would you like to be able to freely carry a weapon?

No, because then every guaranteed clem who the state could not uncover a reason to prevent them owning a gun, would get to own one as well, and that would be an absolute disaster for Irish society. Anyone who wants fondle guns at home or carry them in public is exactly the same type that should be banned from having them.

In a free, well run and policed society there is no need for guns at home or on the streets. I am extremely well training in firearms and yet I would hate the thought over ever evening having to keep one at home, never mind carry one around. I hope Ireland never degenerates to that level.

Do you have any training in weapons?

Thousands of hours in total

Would you be more or less comfortable with a more openly "weaponised" society, more freedom to own a gun or carry it, the police being more likely to be armed - and consequently, more criminal gun use.

Precisely because of the experience I have had and seen with weapons, absolutely not.
    It does no national society any good to up the arms race between its citizens.

Advertisement