Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music copyright question

Options
  • 06-06-2015 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

This is one I never came across before and I'm having difficulties finding an answer through Google search. I got permission to use two songs from an Irish band in a tv show I did for community television which has been viewable on YouTube for the past several years. The band was delighted and got newspaper coverage about the inclusion of their songs. Now I've had a YouTube notice saying that my half hour show can no longer be monetised because a UK music company is claiming copyright on the extracts of the two songs. It seems clear to me that the band has sold the publishing rights of their music to this company. My questions is - what happens to the signed permission that I had with the band when they owned the copyright? Am I, indeed, no longer covered? It strikes me that if Richard Harris's producer was given permission by Joni Mitchell's publisher for the use of her song 'Clouds' in the movie 'Love Actually', it would be rather a dire situation if Joni Mitchell's publisher then sold the rights and the new rights owner rescinded the permission, rendering all those DVDs on the shelves of Tesco now infringing copyright...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The bands new publishing deal does not void your previous agreement unless there was a clause in that agreement to that effect. The Youtube claims are done automatically. Use the Youtube system to dispute the claim and include a link to your written permission (put a copy on dropbox). If they don't accept it then you may have to get a solicitors letter for the publisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ValidName

Many thanks, Little CuChulainn, for taking the time to share your expertise. That's great to know. I'll proceed as you suggest. I really appreciate it. Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

As a matter of interest, is your permission for you to use the music clips or for you to use the TV clips and in both cases have you got the permission in some form of contract and from whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ValidName

I have an all territories and all platforms contract signed by the band before they were picked up by the record label. In fact they did a custom mix for me to better suit the footage.

Advertisement