Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE test almost a year out... from when will new test be dated?

Options
  • 06-06-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

My DOE (CRW) test was due in July last year. If I get a test done this month and it passes will it be valid for a year from the date I get the test done or will it get back dated? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

My DOE (CRW) test was due in July last year. If I get a test done this month and it passes will it be valid for a year from the date I get the test done or will it get back dated? Thanks.

AFAIK if the test is less than 12 months overdue the cert will only be valid until the anniversary date of when it was due (July 2015).
    If the test is over 12 months overdue you will only get a cert for 6 months from the date the test was passed.

But I could be wrong on this one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

niloc1951 wrote: »
    AFAIK if the test is less than 12 months overdue the cert will only be valid until the anniversary date of when it was due (July 2015).
    If the test is over 12 months overdue you will only get a cert for 6 months from the date the test was passed.

Since our campers are the same category as cars why do they insist on treating us differently.The circular sent out some years ago promised the test would follow the date of first reg but when I got my van tested I got a six month cert despite the fact the van had been legally off the road and declared as such.They now want me to test each year in November when the van is in hibernation.I was told that a van being declared off the road did not absolve you from the need to get it tested.
    It ties in with a newspaper article I read which stated the RSA have a huge cash pile that they are building up in the hopes of being privatised.
    Surely fines (which this is)can only be imposed by a ministerial order.

Since our campers are the same category as cars why do they insist on treating us differently.The circular sent out some years ago promised the test would follow the date of first reg but when I got my van tested I got a six month cert despite the fact the van had been legally off the road and declared as such.They now want me to test each year in November when the van is in hibernation.I was told that a van being declared off the road did not absolve you from the need to get it tested.
    It ties in with a newspaper article I read which stated the RSA have a huge cash pile that they are building up in the hopes of being privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

zambo wrote: »

Why did you have your MH declared off the road? Were you planning on not using it for a long time? Even if you are declared off the road there is nothing to stop you taxing your vehicle and going back on the road, but you would need to have the vehicle tested in this case if the previous cert had lapsed.

• Advertisement

*Kol* wrote: »
    Why did you have your MH declared off the road? Were you planning on not using it for a long time? Even if you are declared off the road there is nothing to stop you taxing your vehicle and going back on the road, but you would need to have the vehicle tested in this case if the previous cert had lapsed.

I don't understand your point about taxing it when it is declared off the road and I know it needed testing before driving.The van had been taxed but when testing became mandatory for campers I declared it off the road since my wife was Ill and we could not use the van.When I went to get it tested there was a problem as although the van was taxed in Germany as 4 ton it was reregistered here as 3.5 ton along with 11 other errors on the cert.It took several months to get all these corrected.It is possible I have the only imported van with a fully correct cert.Why should any MH declared off the road and parked in a shed need an nct other than to make money for the NRA.

I don't understand your point about taxing it when it is declared off the road and I know it needed testing before driving.The van had been taxed but when testing became mandatory for campers I declared it off the road since my wife was Ill and we could not use the van.When I went to get it tested there was a problem as although the van was taxed in Germany as 4 ton it was reregistered here as 3.5 ton along with 11 other errors on the cert.It took several months to get all these corrected.It is possible I have the only imported van with a fully correct cert.Why should any MH declared off the road and parked in a shed need an nct other than to make money for the NRA.

It's a well know fact that most Registration Certificates issued for motor caravans are works of fiction William Shakespeare would be prod of :mad:
    Some of the errors are just annoying but spare a thought for the driver stopped by police or involved in an accident in a foreign country with his/her partner and three children on board and the Reg. Cert (at S.1) says the vehicle is only has two official seats (that is seats designated for use when the vehicle being driven). Among other issues questions about the validity of insurance could arise :eek:

Testing is mandatory every year or 4:2:2:2:1 depending on age, throughout the EU.
    The fact that a vehicle is off road and in storage still doesn't stop certain components ageing and becoming dangerous, most parts which have a rubber element are particularly prone to this, for example, bushings, tyres, flexible brake hoses.
    Some metal parts can also deteriorate with age examples are exhaust systems. chassis sections and brake pipes.

Lots of metal bits are made of such inferior metal that they can turn to pure rust without ever being moved an inch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

How did you get it corrected in the end? Shannon dealt with two errors on my cert after several emails a letter and a fax but referred me to Roslare for the change in number of seats they simply ignored me.

First, apologies for going OT.

I had a chat with a guy in Rosslare a few months ago.
    He explained that when campers were being registered, being a tax collection agency, they had little training or interest in the technical details and had no understanding of the importance of transferring the correct technical details from a foreign registration certificate (in the case of second hand imports) or from a vehicles Cert of Conformity (new vehicles).

This would appear to account for details being left off and figures like 1 and 5555 etc. being entered in fields which are probably mandatory to fill.

It appeared that the minimum/easiest input into the data base to generate the tax figures is the norm :mad:

He explained that when campers were being registered, being a tax collection agency, they had little training or interest in the technical details and had no understanding of the importance of transferring the correct technical details from a foreign registration certificate (in the case of second hand imports) or from a vehicles Cert of Conformity (new vehicles).

This would appear to account for details being left off and figures like 1 and 5555 etc. being entered in fields which are probably mandatory to fill.

It appeared that the minimum/easiest input into the data base to generate the tax figures is the norm :mad:

Hi
    I fully understand the need for the test and accept your point about deterioration of parts although my van was stored in an insulated warehouse.
    The point I was trying to make was that I should have been given a one year cert when I got it tested,anything less can only be explained as being to make more money for the RSA etc.
    As regards the registration I got exactly the same runaround as you did from both Shannon and rosslare but I kept on at them ,made notes of each excuse,made notes of names of those I talked to ,contacted the same people each time and in the end it was probably easier to fix it than to explain once again why they could not.

• Advertisement

Hi
    I fully understand the need for the test and accept your point about deterioration of parts although my van was stored in an insulated warehouse.
    The point I was trying to make was that I should have been given a one year cert when I got it tested,anything less can only be explained as being to make more money for the RSA etc.
    As regards the registration I got exactly the same runaround as you did from both Shannon and rosslare but I kept on at them ,made notes of each excuse,made notes of names of those I talked to ,contacted the same people each time and in the end it was probably easier to fix it than to explain once again why they could not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

there's a little to add here....I agree with your interpretation but would add that the next cert after the 6 months will only run to the anniversary date as I read the regulations.

My own van is out last July and in the bodyshop ever since...nearly ready to go back on the road, but I'll wait til July to test it. Thing is, is it likely I will test it again next January?..... not really, so I'll wait until July 2016 I guess
    . It's a half-arsed system which really needs an exception for Campers. We get a raw deal

Hi
    The point I was trying to make was that I should have been given a one year cert when I got it tested,anything less can only be explained as being to make more money for the RSA etc...........................................

That aspect is definitely a money making racket :mad:

If a vehicle gets a pass, a pass is a pass. There can be no valid reason why a vehicle should need to be back for another test in six months and I've never heard a road safety related explanation for the requirement :confused::confused:

Over to you guys who frequent this forum and who are testers, what's your take on the issue ;)

well you can understand why it is like this. It's to try to make sure that all commercial vehicles are tested annually and that there is no advantage to leaving it untested for a number of months.

It's a system not really suited to Campers though, which have to be taxed for 12 months but may well end up only being tested for 6 months at a time. Noone is going to test a camper in the winter. Really what's needed is special regualtions for Campers, rather than lumping them in with Comercials

well you can understand why it is like this. It's to try to make sure that all commercial vehicles are tested annually and that there is no advantage to leaving it untested for a number of months.

It's a system not really suited to Campers though, which have to be taxed for 12 months but may well end up only being tested for 6 months at a time. Noone is going to test a camper in the winter. Really what's needed is special regualtions for Campers, rather than lumping them in with Comercials

Hi
    We don't need special regulations for campers we just need them to use the same rules as for any other class M1 vehicle,just because our vans don't fit in the same test centre as a car does not change the law relating to campers.

Yes I could live with that.....what you are saying is that all should be the same as cars except that the test takes place at the LCV centre? In other words recognising that they are not commercial vehicles.

Yes I could live with that.....what you are saying is that all should be the same as cars except that the test takes place at the LCV centre? In other words recognising that they are not commercial vehicles.

Exactly

Hi
    We don't need special regulations for campers we just need them to use the same rules as for any other class M1 vehicle,just because our vans don't fit in the same test centre as a car does not change the law relating to campers.

In the UK campers are a Class 4, same as cars, for MOT testing.

If a camper is too big to fit in an MOT test station (equivalent of NCT) it is taken to VOSA testing station (equivalent of VTN) BUT it is tested using the MOT manual (car test) not the VOSA manual (commercial vehicle test)

It's real hard to understand that for example a Ford Tourneo as an 8 seater goes to NCT centre but if its a camper has to go to a VTN centre, when they are both private passenger vehicles of the same size :confused:
    AND be charged more if it's a camper :mad:

Advertisement