Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rehoming Dogs. Any difference between big and small shelters?

• 06-06-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Me and my other half are looking at getting a rescue dog.
    What I'm wondering is with larger shelters having an economy of scale and less of a financial pressure, would larger shelters be pickier about what dogs they give to who and be less likely to give someone a dog that may turn out to be unsuitable?
    Or maybe I'm just over thinking it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I think actually, that smaller shelters may be pickier, it all depends on the rescue itself. I have a friend that recently adopted a pup from one of the largest rescues, their homecheck lasted 4 minutes!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I adopted a dog from the <snip>- they did no home visit or follow up and didn't even ask if there are any children in the house or if I had a garden etc. So they certainly didn't seem picky!!

Edit: Ooops, sorry DBB, I forgot about not naming shelters because it was a thread about shelters! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

have a look at the what the rescue says it rehoming criteria are and see what suits.

All rescues regardless of size should be doing the following

a) a home check
    b) neutering
    c) microchipping
    d) vacinations
    e) formal adoption contract and follow up/advise after adoption
    f) a take back policy in the event the adoption doesn't work out.

Some rescues wont rehome dogs where people are at work all day and adopters aren't in a position to avail of doggy day care, dog walkers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Inexile wrote: »
    have a look at the what the rescue says it rehoming criteria are and see what suits.

All rescues regardless of size should be doing the following

a) a home check
    b) neutering
    c) microchipping
    d) vacinations
    e) formal adoption contract and follow up/advise after adoption
    f) a take back policy in the event the adoption doesn't work out.

Some rescues wont rehome dogs where people are at work all day and adopters aren't in a position to avail of doggy day care, dog walkers etc.

Thats the thing. There's nothing in that list that I could do anything but agree with strongly yet I've had certain centres almost selling me dogs and others leaving me messages infering prove to us your worth, and its that disparity that makes me wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Rescues can take different approaches and it can depend on the person you are dealing with.

Sometimes representatives of rescues can just get a bit weary. They can one minute be dealing with people who just want to get rid of a dog asap and then dealing with someone genuinely interested in rehoming. Sometimes it can be hard to switch from the negative situation to the positive.

In your shoes I would look to see what rescue have the dog or type of dog you are interested and once they working within the list I have given earlier go with your gut.

Once they are doing the things listed above they should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

The recue where we got our second dog met us twice at their shelter, and we brought our existing dog along to the second meeting, so they didn't homecheck, as they could see how happy and well looked after the first lad was. Plus we were travelling a bit of a distance so it may have been awkward for them to visit, they're quite a small shelter. But we gave them permission to ask our vet about us, and also the kennels we use occasionally.

Advertisement