Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired to wireless

Options
  • 06-06-2015 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked before!
    We have just bought our first house, it is a 3 bed semi d, there is a wired alarm there already which is there is 1998. I don't even think it works!
    We would like to get a wireless alarm which is monitored. What are our best options? We have 2 dogs if that makes any difference ;)
    Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Why wireless? If your cabling is okay you should get a wired system in. You will save a lot of cash and a but less on maintainence.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most new systems would be hybrid or have the option to add wireless anyway. So it's there if you need it. But as fred said,wired would be the first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Why wireless? If your cabling is okay you should get a wired system in. You will save a lot of cash and a but less on maintainence.

I just thought wireless was better?? How much do you think it will cost to upgrade the wired system?

Who is the best monitored company?

Millem wrote: »
    I just thought wireless was better?? How much do you think it will cost to upgrade the wired system?

Who is the best monitored company?

You'll need to get a few seperate quotes from licenced installers. Prices vary a lot so make sure you compare like for like.

Monitoring companies would be on par with each other

You'll need to get a few seperate quotes from licenced installers. Prices vary a lot so make sure you compare like for like.

Monitoring companies would be on par with each other

Thanks a mil! A good few people in my estate have "phone watch" but a neighbour mentioned a crowd in arklow (we are in south dublin) and it is only €15 per month.

• Advertisement

That would be about the norm without service agreement. Some companies offer a service agreement which comers all call out charges for a little more.

That would be about the norm without service agreement. Some companies offer a service agreement which comers all call out charges for a little more.

I thought phone watch was €35 per month?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You would be better going with an independent company using standard alarm equipment. PW use their own equipment with a closed protocol. You will be tied to them for the life of the system with no option to shop around for better price or services.

Advertisement