Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of insurance is this? 😳

Options
  • 06-06-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi a family member recently mentioned they had a life insurance that they have paid into for the last 20 odd years and at 25 years of payment they can choose to opt out and receive €100,000. What type of insurance is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

A policy that pays out a given sum "on the expiration of X years or on prior death" is known as Term Life Assurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭DollyB

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EGavigan

DollyB wrote: »
    Hi a family member recently mentioned they had a life insurance that they have paid into for the last 20 odd years and at 25 years of payment they can choose to opt out and receive €100,000. What type of insurance is this?

I'd say this is actually a Whole of Life policy. Anyone who has this and doesn't know what it is really should have it reviewed as it can seem a lot better than it is. Many people who took them out didn't know what they were signing up to. One company in particular seems to have been flogging these to loads of people without explaining them properly. What life company is it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

A policy that pays out a given sum "on the expiration of X years or on prior death" is known as Term Life Assurance.

It's endowment assurance. Essentially a combined investment and life assurance policy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_policy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

actuar90 wrote: »
    It's endowment assurance. Essentially a combined investment and life assurance policy.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_policy
    Correct, and I acknowledge my mental slip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement