Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sofa repair in rented accommodation

Options
  • 06-06-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I'm due to leave my apartment after 5 years in the next few weeks. The apartment has two vinyl (fake leather) couches. One of the couches has a few tears on the seated cushions which weren't caused by me, it was simply wear and tear.

Who is responsible for repairing these? I was in touch with a repair man during the week who said I was mad to repair them myself, that it's the landlords responsibility since vinyl couches are poor quality and known to require repair every few years.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have this exact situation (with these bloody pleather sofa's) and was looking earlier at donedeal etc, to see if it made more sense to simply buy a new equivalent sofa. In case, I would see what they say when they come to do the final inspection. No point in paying if you dont have too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Wear and tear is the landlord's responsibility, take lots of photos. Ideally you should also have photos from when you moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I had a sofa cover basically disintegrate to the point where bits of it were turning up in my mother's house, having been carried around on my shoes. The landlord replaced it without argument. If your landlord is in any way reasonable, I'd imagine you'll have no issue, just stick to your guns and call it wear and tear (which is what it is).

Advertisement