Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating LC

• 06-06-2015 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Just wondering if I repeat the leaving cert will I have to do a whole new English and Irish course as there'll be different poets, stories etc ..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Postoffice123

Yes.

Okay thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 clover96

No!
    I was also worried about this too (in the middle of a LC that could be going a little better..) and I spoke to my guidance councilor about it.

Once you meet your minimum entry requirements once, ie the HC3 in english, irish and maths some courses require, you do not have to meet them again. You can repeat any 6 subjects you want after that.

I most definitely could not face a new english course or even irish for that matter..

clover96 wrote: »
    No!
    I was also worried about this too (in the middle of a LC that could be going a little better..) and I spoke to my guidance councilor about it.

Once you meet your minimum entry requirements once, ie the HC3 in english, irish and maths some courses require, you do not have to meet them again. You can repeat any 6 subjects you want after that.

I most definitely could not face a new english course or even irish for that matter..

Aw thanks that makes things soo much easier. Hope I get that c3 so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

For contrast, I am speaking as a LC repeat who is currently in the middle of his exams,

I repeated all of my subjects. My reasons for repeating were quite unusual, in that I repeated because I was very young (15), rather than because of poor grades (they were actually alright I think, haha :D). I did Higher Level English at JC, and Ordinary Level for Leaving Cert, but in my repeat year I switched to Higher Level. Quite a drastic decision, going from OL to HL in 6th year, and it meant that I had to cover pretty much exactly a whole new course in 8-9 months. And trust me, the jump between OL and HL is huge, as in that you have to write 5-6 page complex essays instead of 2-3 at most. New Shakespearean text, completely different poets, and a new play (film and HMMTB stayed on the course). Got a B1 in ordinary level, hoping for a B in HL this year.

Was it hard? Yes, but the fact that other subject courses hardly changed at all definitely helped. It is certainly doable if you are willing to put in the effort, as with all things in life. Also, courses aren't going to be drastically different. Yes you may have to learn 1 or 2 new texts, maybe a different poet, but the general subject won't change much. You should improve overall in all subjects, so I think it's better to repeat all of them, especially if you need much higher points.

• Advertisement

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    For contrast, I am speaking as a LC repeat who is currently in the middle of his exams,

I repeated all of my subjects. My reasons for repeating were quite unusual, in that I repeated because I was very young (15), rather than because of poor grades (they were actually alright I think, haha :D). I did Higher Level English at JC, and Ordinary Level for Leaving Cert, but in my repeat year I switched to Higher Level. Quite a drastic decision, going from OL to HL in 6th year, and it meant that I had to cover pretty much exactly a whole new course in 8-9 months. And trust me, the jump between OL and HL is huge, as in that you have to write 5-6 page complex essays instead of 2-3 at most. New Shakespearean text, completely different poets, and a new play (film and HMMTB stayed on the course). Got a B1 in ordinary level, hoping for a B in HL this year.

Was it hard? Yes, but the fact that other subject courses hardly changed at all definitely helped. It is certainly doable if you are willing to put in the effort, as with all things in life. Also, courses aren't going to be drastically different. Yes you may have to learn 1 or 2 new texts, maybe a different poet, but the general subject won't change much. You should improve overall in all subjects, so I think it's better to repeat all of them, especially if you need much higher points.

Thanks so much :) good luck with it I'm sure you did great!

Advertisement