Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schwalbe Marathon Plu

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not really. Rigid makes them a bit heavier AFAIK. For close on the same price you could have Marathon Supreme which is lighter, similar puncture protection and IMHO a much better tyre. Alternatively, for a road bike, Durano plus is cheaper still, much lighter, and still offers great puncture protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

smacl wrote: »
    Not really. Rigid makes them a bit heavier AFAIK. For close on the same price you could have Marathon Supreme which is lighter, similar puncture protection and IMHO a much better tyre. Alternatively, for a road bike, Durano plus is cheaper still, much lighter, and still offers great puncture protection.

thanks for reply.

I should have been more clear, I dont care about weight, im just using the bike (a hybrid) for commuting and just looking for a good puncture resistant tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

obi604 wrote: »
    .. I dont care about weight, im just using the bike (a hybrid) for commuting and just looking for a good puncture resistant tyre.
    You won't get better for puncture resistance. The price seems good (especially bearing in mind that they will last for years). I have 22,000+ km's on a pair on one of my bikes and have yet to puncture.

You won't get better for puncture resistance. The price seems good (especially bearing in mind that they will last for years). I have 22,000+ km's on a pair on one of my bikes and have yet to puncture.

Thanks. I have never fitted a tyre before or even taken off a rear wheel and I hear these tyres are hard enough to fit. Plus I dont have tools etc

Would a shop frown upon me bringing in a tyre purchased online for them to fit it ?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thanks. I have never fitted a tyre before or even taken off a rear wheel and I hear these tyres are hard enough to fit. Plus I dont have tools etc

Would a shop frown upon me bringing in a tyre purchased online for them to fit it ?

They'll probably charge you for it unless buying stuff, as it's not great practice to be honest.

Spokesman sells and fits a pair for 80 I think (I got some from him in November when he was servicing the bike).

Only tools you need are good tyre levers anyway, and a bit of patience with these ones

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    They'll probably charge you for it unless buying stuff, as it's not great practice to be honest.

Spokesman sells and fits a pair for 80 I think (I got some from him in November when he was servicing the bike).

Only tools you need are good tyre levers anyway, and a bit of patience with these ones

Thanks. Is spokesman that mobile lad ?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Thanks. Is spokesman that mobile lad ?

Yup. Can't recommend him enough, he's become my LBS as it's handy for work.

good to hear, may give him a shout, think he visits near where I work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They are difficult to fit alright especially when new. If you're inexperienced, cable ties will help to hold the tyre in place as you work your way around. Otherwise one side will keep popping out as you fit the other side.

are his prices competitive ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement