Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a maths question please!!

Options
  • 06-06-2015 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

In preparation for Maths Paper 2 HL on Monday I decided to look over my mock paper. I was hoping someone here could help :)
    The question reads:

The diagram shows a ladder leaning against a vertical wall. The ladder stands on horizontal ground.

The length of the ladder is 225cm

The ladder is safe to use when the angle marked y is 75°

(A) Is the ladder safe to use when it is 70cm from the base of the house? Justify your answer.
    (B) What is the height the ladder can reach up the wall when it is in a safe position?

Would anyone be able to come with a method of doing this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Atlas26 wrote: »
    In preparation for Maths Paper 2 HL on Monday I decided to look over my mock paper. I was hoping someone here could help :)
    The question reads:

The diagram shows a ladder leaning against a vertical wall. The ladder stands on horizontal ground.

The length of the ladder is 225cm

The ladder is safe to use when the angle marked y is 75°

(A) Is the ladder safe to use when it is 70cm from the base of the house? Justify your answer.
    (B) What is the height the ladder can reach up the wall when it is in a safe position?

Would anyone be able to come with a method of doing this??

Basically create a right angled triangle. The hypotenuse is 225, and the distance from the bottom of the ladder to the wall is 70cm. Then use sine rule to calculate, first use pythagerous 70 squared plus x squared = 225 squared.

Then use sine rule a/sine a = b /sine b.

I'm only on phone but create right angle triangle with the 225 the hyp, and 70 the base, so 70 across the bottom and the 225 diagonally opposite the 90 degree, pythagerous will calculate the remaining distance approx 213.8, this is the vertical height from base of right angle up (wall). Then use sine rule and you'll get an angle of 71.88 degrees, which is more than 70 degrees.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    Basically create a right angled triangle. The hypotenuse is 225, and the distance from the bottom of the ladder to the wall is 70cm. Then use sine rule to calculate, first use pythagerous 70 squared plus x squared = 225 squared.

I'm only on phone but create right angle triangle with the 225 the hyp, and 70 the base, so 70 across the bottom and the 225 diagonally opposite the 90 degree, pythagerous will calculate the remaining distance approx 213.8, this is the vertical height from base of right angle up (wall). Then use sine rule and you'll get an angle of 71.88 degrees, which is more than 70 degrees.

Then for the other part instead of the 70, you work from the angles instead, you have 70 degrees so other angle is 20 degrees, you've the length of the ladder (225) so you can use sine rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Atlas26

JIdontknow wrote: »

Ok, I've done the first part:
    For the opposite side (x) I got 213.834 using Pythagoras's theorem. I don't understand what you mean by sine rule though...

Ok, I've done the first part:
    For the adjacent side (x) I got 213.834 using Pythagoras's theorem. I don't understand what you mean by sine rule though...

Not sure if ye have covered it yet ( don't know the syllabus) but sine rule is

a / sine a = b / sine b,

Apologies it's been years since I did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Sine Rule is not on JC course. You need to think about your SOHCAHTOA ratios, by which I mean Sin A = opp/hyp, Cos A = adj/hyp and Tan A = opp/adj.

I'm assuming the angle y is on the ground. If it's in the air then let me know because the following will change:

For this question part a the sides you have are the hypotenuse which is 225, and the adjacent which you are assuming to be 70. You need to use the Cos ratio to check if the angle works out to be 75 degrees. If it is then the ladder is safe at 70cm distance. If not, then it's not.

For part b, you are looking for the height of the wall which is the opposite side. So use Sin ration with 75 degree angle you have on the ground.

If the angle 75 deg is in the air, then part a will be the Sin ratio and for part b you would use the Cos ratio.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

• Advertisement

theLuggage wrote: »
    Sine Rule is not on JC course. You need to think about your SOHCAHTOA ratios, by which I mean Sin A = opp/hyp, Cos A = adj/hyp and Tan A = opp/adj.

I'm assuming the angle y is on the ground. If it's in the air then let me know because the following will change:

For this question part a the sides you have are the hypotenuse which is 225, and the adjacent which you are assuming to be 70. You need to use the Cos ratio to check if the angle works out to be 75 degrees. If it is then the ladder is safe at 70m distance. If not, then it's not.

For part b, you are looking for the height of the wall which is the opposite side. So use Sin ration with 75 degree angle you have on the ground.

If the angle 75 deg is in the air, then part a will be the Sin ratio and for part b you would use the Cos ratio.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

The angle y is on the ground. For the Cos Ratio adj/hyp I'm getting 70/225=0.31111 I have a feeling I'm not doing it right though

Ok lets do it step by step:

So Cos A = adj/hyp
    Cos A = 70/225
    A = Cos Inverse (70/225)
    A = 71.87....degrees.

Therefore ladder is unsafe as 71 deg < 75 deg.

I don't think you were using Cos Inverse. (Looks like Cos to the power of minus 1)
    Remember when Sin, Cos or Tan are separated from their angle, you must use inverse to work out the degrees.

Part b then.

The ladder is now safe so it must be 75 degree angle so:

Sin A = opp/hyp
    Sin 75 = x/225 (calling the unknown opp side x)
    225(Sin 75) = x
    217.3333... = x
    217cm = x

didn't see reply
    nevermind

No what you had is perfect! Well done :)

• Advertisement

Ok lets do it step by step:

So Cos A = adj/hyp
    Cos A = 70/225
    A = Cos Inverse (70/225)
    A = 71.87....degrees.

Therefore ladder is unsafe as 71 deg < 75 deg.

I don't think you were using Cos Inverse. (Looks like Cos to the power of minus 1)
    Remember when Sin, Cos or Tan are separated from their angle, you must use inverse to work out the degrees.

Yeah, I wasn't doing the Cos Inverse. Thanks a million you've been very helpful!!

No what you had is perfect! Well done :)

Yeah but the online calculator was not giving me the inverse :(

Yeah but the online calculator was not giving me the inverse :(

Likewise! Had to dig out my real calculator :)

Really need to do more Trig my teacher wasn't the best tbh. You were great!

Advertisement