Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cottages on fire in Adare

Comments

What a shame. The only part of Adare I actually like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They're iconic tourist spots. They are coffee shops/gift shops?

I drove passed earlier. Its way worse than the pictures :(

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭fredo1664

I couldn't find in the newspapers which cottages? Hope it's not the restaurants or other shops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

fredo1664 wrote: »
    I couldn't find in the newspapers which cottages? Hope it's not the restaurants or other shops?

From the pictures it looks like these ones

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.564738,-8.788316,3a,75y,169.8h,80.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sxZ66eqFLe7CvbcCvNgteug!2e0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

road_high wrote: »
    They're iconic tourist spots. They are coffee shops/gift shops?

They are private homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/family-traumatised-as-fire-destroys-historic-cottages-in-limerick-village-680477.html

2 residences burned to the ground and a gift shop suffered major water damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The fire service is back at the scene this afternoon and a stop/go system is in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The fire service is back at the scene this afternoon and a stop/go system is in place.

Are they just inspecting it or is there another fire?

Are they just inspecting it or is there another fire?

Smoldering I think. Traffic is chaotic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Such a shame. I almost tolerate the bottleneck traffic congestion when passing through as the buildings are (were) so picturesque!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I never saw the attraction of Adare, been there & passed through there loads of times but I just don't see the attraction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Think its just a quick stop for tourists look at cottages have a tea or a lunch.prob a good money spinner tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Adare is okay, good pubs, a few good restaurants, nice park, good tourist centre and a few good shops. And the cottages do add somewhat of a visual appeal. I do see its appeal from a tourism point of view, but it's not somewhere you'd spend more than a day, it's a good stop over on to better things just over an hour away in Killarney. Or west Clare even.

Best thing that could ever happen to Adare is a bypass, and give greater priority to pedestrians. Would be so much nicer without the heavy traffic. I mainly associate it with gridlock and irritation at taking so long to move such a short distance. But certain local businesses are afraid that taking traffic out of the town will impact their business. So it has always been blocked. But look at a place like Bunratty, there may not be quite as much to do in Bunratty but it's a nicer place to be in my opinion, I doubt it was the same before it was by-passed in 1992.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Strange picture in todays Leader of a wedding couple including some well known English horse trainer having their picture taken in one of the fire engine cherry pickers after the fire. Seemed in bad taste to me considering the devastation some people must have been feeling.

Strange picture in todays Leader of a wedding couple including some well known English horse trainer having their picture taken in one of the fire engine cherry pickers after the fire. Seemed in bad taste to me considering the devastation some people must have been feeling.

Just saw it myself. I wouldn't call it bad taste. They made the best of a bad situation. Its not like they were snapped with a burning cottage in the background. Imagine leaving the church as newlyweds to be greeted with that scene. I know the residents of the cottages lost everything and all but it was still their wedding day. No point in everyone being devastated.

Advertisement