Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time study advice needed!

Options
  • 06-06-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on studying a Business degree on a part-time basis in Dublin.

I am thinking of enrolling in 4 year part-time BA (Hons) Business course in DBS this coming September and I am looking for some advice on this institutions credibility and accreditations.
    I have read/heard some not so favourable reviews on the school that has made me apprehensive of my decision.

I am a mature full-time working student and I have very little knowledge on accreditations or what I should/shouldn’t be looking from a university.
    I plan to travel/work abroad upon completion of this degree so I am anxious that my qualification be widely recognised (in North America especially).
    I would like to study a level 8 Degree programme with the prospect of completing a masters at a later date.

The awarding body of the degree on offer by DBS are QQI (Quality Qualifications Ireland) I am not sure of the statues or recognition of this awarding body so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

I am also open to looking at different universities in Dublin however I cannot see much available online so if you have any advice on this matter I would also greatly appreciate it.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The QQI is the state agency that deals with all manner of qualifications and the quality of them. So at an absolute minimum, any course anyone does should be accredited by them.

So any course that is accredited by QQI will be recognised internationally.

For other universities, pretty much every single third-level institution does a part-time/evening degree, so have a look at each of the respective websites.

Personally, I would look to the public institutions rather than private such as DBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Design78

I'm going back in sept to do a 4 year BA in business management with UCD. I looked into quite a few places and met with a few I was seriously considering. I was most impressed with UCD, the staff were so helpful and professional.
    One of the main deciding factors for me was UCD's international reputation and should I want to go on for a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Elaine2015

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your reply and advice, it is much appreciated!

I had my own thoughts in private institutions myself however with very little experience I could not be sure.

I have been looking on various websites and I will continue the search. Do you know any of the public institutions that offer a variety of Part-Time degree courses?

@Design78 Thank you very much for your reply, it is great to hear from someone in the same position.

Just to clarify is this course part-time and also am I still eligible to apply?

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Design78

As far as I know applications are still open. I think they had an open day for the course in the next few weeks.
    It's part time & distance learning. I initially was not interested in distance learning but you have a lot of contact with UCD, you have weekends where your on campus and they also set up study groups.
    Working full time I felt this would be the best option for me as realistically I don't think I could commit to leaving work at 5pm 2/3 days a week for four years.
    I think the only public institutions in Dublin offering a BA in business part time were DIT, blanch IT and UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Elaine2015 wrote: »
    I have been looking on various websites and I will continue the search. Do you know any of the public institutions that offer a variety of Part-Time degree courses?
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    pretty much every single third-level institution does a part-time/evening degree, so have a look at each of the respective websites.

:)

Thanks Tom Dunne appreciate your help.

@Design78

That sounds great I will contact UCD tomorrow. Hopefully I can still apply!

Thank you very much for all your advice I really appreciate it and hopefully I will see you in September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'd agree with the other posters i'd advise to go with public institutions such as the IT's or the Uni's. A recognised university or college third level qualification is better recognised by employers in my opinion. That is just based on advice given to me and seem more important when in interviews.

It be a great opportunity! Best of luck with your studies!

@Design78
    I cannot see the 4 year BA in business management on the UCD website, I do see the Diploma in Business Studies/ BA Business Studies.

Is this the course you are pre suing or is the management course just not listed on their website? Also would you happen to know the times on Friday the course will be taking place? I work Mon-Fri I am hoping I can make some arrangements around this.

Sorry for all the Q's I don't mean to be an annoyance this is all very new for me. Thank you for all your help so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

For the ITs, it's a three stage process
    Years 1 and 2 - higher certificate of business studies
    Year 3 - ordinary degree
    Year 4 - honours degree

UCD does a part time version which is one Friday and one Saturday a month, all day.

The ITs are 2/3 nights per week, and depending on where you choose, potentially several Saturday's a month.

Advertisement