Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swarm of bugs eating leaves and mating like mad

Options
  • 06-06-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi we have some bushes in the garden and we just notices the leaves are riddled with holes. We found the insects on most of the leaves. Pics attached.

Please help bushes being distroyed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Probably greenfly or whitefly(can't see images)
    Spray with any greenfly spray from any garden center

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

sorry pics attached,
    the bugs are much bigger than greenfly, like a beetle

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Looks like June Beetle!(how apt!)
    Control, by using nematodes!
    i.e. Using beetle parasites to actually kill their hosts.you would need to talk to an entomologist to find the proper nematode.but I'm sure there is probably a spray or powder to do the job too!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

invicta wrote: »
    Looks like June Beetle!(how apt!)
    Control, by using nematodes!
    i.e. Using beetle parasites to actually kill their hosts.you would need to talk to an entomologist to find the proper nematode.but I'm sure there is probably a spray or powder to do the job too!

thanks a million....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

sorry pics attached,
    the bugs are much bigger than greenfly, like a beetle

351356.jpg

If they're European Chafers, they don't eat plants as adults, but they lay their eggs around grass roots http://blog.timesunion.com/gardening/the-bad-news-beetles/3784/ and their larvae then eat the roots.

You can get nematodes to control them

I get dried mealworms from Breffni House Pets in Windy Arbour, and throw these around the lawn. The local starlings, sparrows, tits, blackbirds, doves and magpies then arrive and scoop them up over the day, going a nice bit of scratching and grazing while they're at it; good for controlling nasties in the lawn. But then my lawn isn't velvet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement