Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician didn't install tv aerial socket

Options
  • 06-06-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

We are nearly finished renovating an old house and our electrician didn't put in a tv aerial socket in our living room because we were getting sky. We have sockets in the kitchen and bedroom but not in the living room. We are now waiting for a sky engineer to come out and hook us up but we can't use saorview. Should he have installed an aerial socket? I originally told them what corner the TV would be in and assumed it would be done.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

crossvilla wrote: »
    Should he have installed an aerial socket?

If you asked for one you should have been provided with it.
    This is why it is always best to get a written quote that details exactly what you are getting and how much it will cost.

However you have to be quite specific in terms of what you ask for.
    Different TV systems have different requirements. Some require a satellite dish, some don't. Even satellite dishes have different requirements (such as Sky+ to a single TV point requires 2 x coax cables from the dish to the dig box location).

In many cases the coax cable from the dish is wired to the satellite box and a separate cable (often a HDMI) goes from the box to the TV position.

As most TVs nowadays are flat screen they tend to look better when installed on a wall, not in a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

He would I imagine have been working to a spec. If the TV point was not specified then he would not have supplied it. I would have had at least 3 cables and s phone cable run to the sky box so the satellite cables, phone connection and a possible feed to your other TVs would all have been done at wiring stage when the walls were being chased.

I would think the point was not specified. If it was I would look to find why it was not installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

I asked for one initially, the builder told me the electrician told him I wouldn't need one. This was part of a long list of meetings with my builder and it got away. Is it a hard job to put in a tv aerial socket? Can you use any of the sky wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If it wasn't spec'd then he wouldn't put it in. Were do the sky wires you mention run to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is there conduit in place for the satellite installer to drop down the cables? If conduit is there dropping a cable should be fairly easy.

Do you have a saoireview aerial fitted? Do you have a distribution amplifier?

• Advertisement
Advertisement