Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV gaming pc

Options
  • 06-06-2015 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

BUDGET: Not certain but I definitely have the funds for the kind of setup I have in mind.

MAIN PURPOSE: Purely gaming. I'll be playing mainly single player RPGs e.g. Bethesda games.

NEED WINDOWS?: YES. I don't suppose windows 10 will suffice?

Can you use any parts from an old computer?: 2tb WD external hard drive. Could I perhaps
    Use this to store downloaded games and use an ssd for the os?

Do you need a monitor? No. I have a 5 year old 32inch Sony bravia LCD and for now I'd like a setup that can render games as well as this tv can display. I'm guessing that's 1080p 60fps

Do you need any of these peripherals?: keyboard and mouse, wireless card

Are you willing to try overclocking?: I'm guessing I don't need to consider it right now.

How can you pay? Debit card.

When are you purchasing? Ready to go now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Probably 800-900 is loads for this.

Willing to wait for the next gen of AMD GPUs to see what they bring to the table

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭moesyzlak

I think I'll start off with a mid-range system and wait a few years to see where gaming as a whole goes. e.g ultra high def, VR, cloud gaming.

Fair enough

i5 4460
    GTX 970
    ASRock Pro4
    500w PSU
    Crucial BX100 250gb
    Nanoxia DS3
    Crucial 8gb ram

Total is about €900 delivered with a windows key, I'll link one laterr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

I just posted a nice €780 / €800 gaming build here, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95785281&postcount=2782

All the parts are listed..

No SSD, cheap GPU that's leagues weaker than 970, and poorer gaming on CPU tasks. No advantages except price

• Advertisement

I was checking out the specs on that gpu and it's a beast alright. What would be the advantage of waiting for the next gen amd. If I did hold out for it I might actually get round to doing a few DIY jobs I've been putting on the long finger :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭satguy

The thing is, there is always a new GPU about to come out, if you hold out, you never buy one, as you always see a better about to launch next month, and so on..

Is the GTX 970 overkill for gaming on an LCD TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nope. I'm using one on a 1080p monitor at the moment. GTA V maxed out dips into the 35 FPS range every now and then. I haven't really played much else that's recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

moesyzlak wrote: »
    Is the GTX 970 overkill for gaming on an LCD TV?

Weather its a monitor or a TV is not really relevant. Its the resolution and refresh rate that denotes how much graphics power would be required. A TV that is 1080p 60Hz will require the same graphics power as a 1080p 60Hz PC monitor. Size does not matter either ie your telly might be 50" and the monitor 24" but again if there both 1080p 60Hz they both require the same to run them.

The picture will look better on the smaller screen but only because its the same amount of pixels as the larger screen but in a much smaller space.

Not sure if you already understood this so just thought id throw it out there. 970 for 1080p will give you max settings at 60fps on most games as long as you pair it with a decent cpu

• Advertisement

970 is the sweet spot for 1080p IMO, I've a 280x like in satguys build, does the job but playing stuff like Sleeping Dogs I cans see where it's lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You know what happens with 1080p? Every generation, someone says "You won't need more than [x card] for 1080p". And you know what? Every generation, that card is usually the second or third-best one.

So from this, we know the power needed to drive 1080p is always increasing. Therefore, there is no such thing as "overkill" for 1080p*.

*Unless you're the type to upgrade every six months. In which case, don't keep buying Titans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Serephucus wrote: »
    You know what happens with 1080p? Every generation, someone says "You won't need more than [x card] for 1080p". And you know what? Every generation, that card is usually the second or third-best one.

So from this, we know the power needed to drive 1080p is always increasing. Therefore, there is no such thing as "overkill" for 1080p*.

*Unless you're the type to upgrade every six months.

Just curious I was going to change my card for some games and maybe new tv on the way , I have a 270x , would a 290 be the way to go since it's out long time and easy to find with discounts or wait for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

levitronix wrote: »
    Just curious I was going to change my card for some games and maybe new tv on the way , I have a 270x , would a 290 be the way to go since it's out long time and easy to find with discounts or wait for
    New cards to come out that will come in under €250 EURO

960 or 280x wouldn't be worth the upgrade for you, wait a few weeks and get a second hand 970 or 290 when people are trying to flog them fast for cheap

After thinking about it for a few days i've been thinking more about buying a good spec system which will be oculus ready. I could go a bit better than the specs in the link.https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/

I'm wondering if for VR's sake i would be better off putting a few more quid into a GPU or CPU?.

Advertisement