Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for something in Spiddal

Options
  • 06-06-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Located around the coastline of Ireland are stone signs spelling the word 'EIRE' these were put in place during World War 2 to help allied pilots
    determine there location after crossing the atlantic, and to warn them that they where over neutral Ireland and were not permited to land or fly over.
    Many off these signs still exist , but many are gone or lost,
    I am looking for your help to trace the locations of the missing signs.

Are you from Spiddal in Co.Galway
    I'm trying to track down the location of a World War 2 stone marking spelling out 'EIRE 49' , there was a WW2 Lookout post in the townland of Bohoona West, Spiddal only the base remains, and near this should be a stone sign spelling out 'EIRE 49'. This may have been dismantled and the stones used for other purposes or it may be overgrown with whins or heather.

If anyone knows of it's location or you know an older person who may know please post a link from OSI or Bing map's sites.

You can get further info about these if you google, Coast watching service or eiremarkings

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

iioklo wrote: »
    Located around the coastline of Ireland are stone signs spelling the word 'EIRE' these were put in place during World War 2 to help allied pilots
    determine there location after crossing the atlantic, and to warn them that they where over neutral Ireland and were not permited to land or fly over.
    Many off these signs still exist , but many are gone or lost,
    I am looking for your help to trace the locations of the missing signs.

Are you from Spiddal in Co.Galway
    I'm trying to track down the location of a World War 2 stone marking spelling out 'EIRE 49' , there was a WW2 Lookout post in the townland of Bohoona West, Spiddal only the base remains, and near this should be a stone sign spelling out 'EIRE 49'. This may have been dismantled and the stones used for other purposes or it may be overgrown with whins or heather.

If anyone knows of it's location or you know an older person who may know please post a link from OSI or Bing map's sites.

You can get further info about these if you google, Coast watching service or eiremarkings

Thanks

PM sent

Advertisement