Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true that some printer makes can't have their ink cartridges refilled?

Options
  • 06-06-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

I was told by an ink cartridge refill shop that the cartridges for my HP printer cannot be refilled "due to the fact that they have a chip on them", according to the shop owner. Is this true? If so, how does an ink cartridge know if you've refilled the cartridge with generic ink?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Because, most likely, the "chip" will measure how much ink has flowed through the nozzles, and when it's alotted amount has passed through, the chip tells the printer that that cartridge is empty, and the printer will then refuse to use it. No amount of refilling can reset the chip.
    Printer ink is one of the biggest scams going.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

That's an awful lot of hassle though, and how much are the chips? I guess if you are doing a lot of it then it might pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

excollier wrote: »
    Because, most likely, the "chip" will measure how much ink has flowed through the nozzles, and when it's alotted amount has passed through, the chip tells the printer that that cartridge is empty, and the printer will then refuse to use it. No amount of refilling can reset the chip.

Thanks for that answer, makes sense I guess and I definitely didn't know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

It's probably cheaper just to buy generic printer cartridges as I've done that in the past for an epson printer and it was fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the mechanism is much simpler than measuring. When the level goes below a limit, the chip says empty, and that is it. No matter how much ink you pump in, the cartridge says NO.

Perhaps you need to fill it up from nearly empty, and just keep going. But compatibles are your only man.

It's about time this shady practice was stopped. What's the odds that'll happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It's about time this shady practice was stopped. What's the odds that'll happen?

Ha, never ever. Couple of years old but I'm sure it hasn't got any better.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/feb/23/printer-ink-cartridges-paying-more-getting-less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

It's probably cheaper just to buy generic printer cartridges as I've done that in the past for an epson printer and it was fine

It's probably cheaper to buy a new printer.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    It's probably cheaper to buy a new printer.
    In some cases that's definitely true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement