Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB cut off

Options
  • 06-06-2015 11:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭

Anyone know what the connection fees are about getting ones electric back on. My daughter and boy friend have a bill over 1000€ in his house and hadn't paid 1c in over a year or 2. They didn't use much electric and stupidly ignored their bills but now been cut off.

Anyone know is it possible to get connected by another company without any large reconnection fees along with paying their outstanding bill from ESB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You can't just change company to avoid the bill. There's a talk to Electric Ireland forum here, why not ask them directly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

mcneil wrote: »
    Anyone know what the connection fees are about getting ones electric back on. My daughter and boy friend have a bill over 1000€ in his house and hadn't paid 1c in over a year or 2. They didn't use much electric and stupidly ignored their bills but now been cut off.

Anyone know is it possible to get connected by another company without any large reconnection fees along with paying their outstanding bill from ESB.

Nope. The Connection is owned by ESB Networks and only ESB can reconnect the line.

You might be able to get a pay as you go meter added which you are paying arrears and what you are using

It dosent matter if you change provider, ESB will always own the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

The reconnection process will depend on how long your home has been disconnected if it is less than 6 months:

Contact Electric Ireland on 1850 372 372 to arrange a reconnection.

How much will it cost?

Connection Fee

Ex VAT €70.00
    Inc VAT €79.45

https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/manage-your-account/reconnections-new-connections.jsp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

athtrasna wrote: »
    You can't just change company to avoid the bill. There's a talk to Electric Ireland forum here, why not ask them directly?

Not to avoid it but pay the bill over time because we've heard if you can't pay bill up front, you won't get turned on. They don't want a pay as go either because of the radiation from the meters

The reconnection process will depend on how long your home has been disconnected if it is less than 6 months:

Contact Electric Ireland on 1850 372 372 to arrange a reconnection.

How much will it cost?

Connection Fee

Ex VAT €70.00
    Inc VAT €79.45

3 days its cut off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Not to avoid it but pay the bill over time because we've heard if you can't pay bill up front, you won't get turned on. They don't want a pay as go either because of the radiation from the meters

Radiation from the meters?? I don't think they are going to have much options unless they actually pay off the arrears!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

How did they manage to ignore the bills for a year or 2? Strange why Esb didn't cut them off earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭54and56

They don't want a pay as go either because of the radiation from the meters

Are you sober?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

They haven't bothered their ar*e paying their bill and yet are worried about radiation from the meter? :rolleyes:

First port of call - they should ring ESB and talk to them. If they are having financial difficulties, they should perhaps look at talking to MABS (see mabs.ie)

How did they manage to ignore the bills for a year or 2? Strange why Esb didn't cut them off earlier.

There's been 4 deaths in the family, mortgage, depression, car wrote off, lost jobs, attempted suicides to name a few and the electric bill was the least of their worries. I am willing to help them with this bill but first need to know what can be done. I know we can be quick to jump and say they should have paid but they've had their fair share of bad luck since 2012 so I can forgive them for not paying.

• Advertisement

Radiation from the meters?? I don't think they are going to have much options unless they actually pay off the arrears!

I'll help them as well as if they can pay DD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd be much more worried about mobile phones and microwaves than the radiation of a prepay meter.

I'd be much more worried about mobile phones and microwaves than the radiation of a prepay meter.

Its their issue, not mine and all I can do is respect their decision. I'm not qualified in that department so I vsnt really judge them, they could be wrong or even right but who am I to say they are because I know nothing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Are you sure their fear isn't radiation but paying for lecky?

Are you sure their fear isn't radiation but paying for lecky?

I get the impression that they don't want the payg meter in because they are hoping that you will pay the bill off for them. Anything about radiation is a complete cop out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Its their issue, not mine and all I can do is respect their decision. I'm not qualified in that department so I vsnt really judge them, they could be wrong or even right but who am I to say they are because I know nothing about them.

If you know nothing about them why are you paying the bill? Did I misread something?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Please please please get them to come on here to argue the radiation thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

mcneil wrote:
    I know nothing about them.
    You just said its your daughter and boyfriend.
    If they are paying bills, their adults. It's their responsibility. From the sounds of things, they need to be staying with someone if they can't look after themselves.

They've gone for TWO years with free electricity!!! They knew it was going to happen. Everyone else has to pay for it.
    Its harsh to hear, but its reality.

SMJSF wrote: »

They've gone for TWO years without bothering their mutual holes to pay for free electricity!!!

Better.

;)

SMJSF wrote: »
    You just said its your daughter and boyfriend.
    If they are paying bills, their adults. It's their responsibility. From the sounds of things, they need to be staying with someone if they can't look after themselves.

They've gone for TWO years with free electricity!!! They knew it was going to happen. Everyone else has to pay for it.
    Its harsh to hear, but its reality.

I know nothing about the pre pay meters!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,308 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If you know nothing about them why are you paying the bill? Did I misread something?

The OP knows nothing about the PAYG meters, not her daughter and her boyfriend.

As a matter of interest, what have they done about all the other bills they received over the last two years?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There's been 4 deaths in the family, mortgage, depression, car wrote off, lost jobs, attempted suicides to name a few and the electric bill was the least of their worries. I am willing to help them with this bill but first need to know what can be done. I know we can be quick to jump and say they should have paid but they've had their fair share of bad luck since 2012 so I can forgive them for not paying.

Wow, all that, would it not have been easier to just pay the ESB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You serious!!!!!!!

Yea I am.
    Two years without paying the esb was only going one way. We all have problems but keep the basics ticking over.
    Asking can they just dump two years if unpaid bills and move to a different supplier is just a joke and who says they don't just do the same to the next supplier.

There are consequences in life. Not paying an essential bill results on no essential services.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

In fairness folks, although the situation seems a bit mad, the OP is not the cause of it and is looking for info on getting reconnected. As someone who wants to support an offspring, getting other users experience is a place to start, but most seem to be more concerned about the hows and whys of the situation.

delly wrote: »
    In fairness folks, although the situation seems a bit mad, the OP is not the cause of it and is looking for info on getting reconnected. As someone who wants to support an offspring, getting other users experience is a place to start, but most seem to be more concerned about the hows and whys of the situation.

But, that was answered. Pay the bill and the reconnection fee. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Not to avoid it but pay the bill over time because we've heard if you can't pay bill up front, you won't get turned on.
    If they are unable (or unwilling) to pay the full amount off then you will have to phone the electrical supplier and explain the situation to them. They will most likely agree a re-connection amount, (probably 10 - 20%) on the basis that you have a pay as you go meter installed. This allows the debt to be paid off over time.
    They don't want a pay as go either because of the radiation from the meters
    What radiation??
    In that case they would be better off getting rid of their mobile phones, microwave cooker, wireless internet and any other devices that emit forms of radio waves and avoid high voltage cables. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

How old are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I know you used to be able to debt hop from one provider to another, afaik it's changed now. Tell them to ring airtricity or bord gais and ask to be connected. They might ask for a large deposit though. The bill from esb won't go away either so they'll need to come to some arrangement with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

I think the radiation has already done its damage if your friends think that ESB are going to welcome anyone back with loving arms without paying a connection fee and at least some kind of hefty security deposit

Not withstanding you'll have to pay the outstanding bill and €1 a week for the next 1000 weeks is not going to cut it

• Advertisement

Is this the same boyfriend who arrived back from New Zealand this week, according to another of your posts?
    I just get the impression that they are trying to get you to pay up. Anyway, hope it works out ok. Night

Advertisement