Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB cut off

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think as a landlord I'd be happy enough to let a tenant have a pre pay meter installed.
    I'd have to check the issues about uninstall cost or if it could be used as a regular meter by following tenants with no extra cost. But otherwise it should be no problem.

On a similar topic.
    A esb rep advised me that people should never ever go guarantor on a connection for anyone. It often happens that huge bills are lumped onto the guarantor. The rep said it's better to lend the deposit to the person and have them pay it back. That way the loss is limited to the deposit. ~€250 is te deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Sometimes I wonder why people don't go online and pay the credit (€10/€20 a go), that they might otherwise spend on these prepay systems, directly into their account with the electricity supplier. That way then your bill is pretty much paid when it arrives.
    It's the same idea, a whole lot cheaper, and just requires a bit of willpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Call me Al wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder why people don't go online and pay the credit (€10/€20 a go), that they might otherwise spend on these prepay systems, directly into their account with the electricity supplier. That way then your bill is pretty much paid when it arrives.
    It's the same idea, a whole lot cheaper, and just requires a bit of willpower.

That is the problem right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Some things are not quite that clear cut.
    Our bills were being paid in full by direct debit without any problem.
    What happened to me was that our meter hadn't been read in almost a year after we moved in and I hadn't taken the time to check the monthly readings. This coupled with the fact that some gob$hite had wired the immersion switch wrong meant the immersion was on all the time.
    Anyway when they did eventually get to read the meter and corrected the bill, whammo a bill for over two grand landed on the mat.
    Cue negotiatons and what not, simple solution was the PAYG set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Fair point. For those who want the convenience of DD but the ability to see your consumption of PAYG a few companies will provide free indoor realtime wireless displays, but that's kind of going OT from the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Not too mention there is a 50c charge now on every top up inc gas and electric.

Certainly not true in our case anyway - we buy a card for €5 that gives us €5 credit on the meter. Some of the 'alternative' providers do this afaik but we definitely don't get caught for it.

Advertisement