Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3.30 to town

• 06-06-2015 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Jaysus, it's been a while since I've been on a bus but €3.30 on a bus from town to clondalkin.... Sweet jebus!

And Dublin bus actually wonder what's going wrong? Doesn't take a genius to tell you.

Rant over. Leap card blah blah.... Cash fare is a joke no matter what way you want to spin it

Private transport in this country is so much more attractive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is a lot. I got a leap card, I had always presumed the leap card was for frequent users, like commuters. But you are under no obligation to use it frequently.

I had always heard it being high to make you use cards, I used to get books of 10 tickets and just never read up about the leap card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Jaysus, it's been a while since I've been on a bus but €3.30 on a bus from town to clondalkin.... Sweet jebus!

And Dublin bus actually wonder what's going wrong? Doesn't take a genius to tell you.

Rant over. Leap card blah blah.... Cash fare is a joke no matter what way you want to spin it

Private transport in this country is so much more attractive

Agree. Had to use public transport for a week recently, basically travelling about 5 stops. an expensive experience. think the same trip that was costing about €3.30 was around €1.10 last time I used them.

Also, weekly commuting fares from the likes of commuter bets in Kildare & Meath are shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

The leap card also doesn't facilitate the 90 minute journey. The 10 journey cards used to be great but they're also up in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Patww79 wrote: »
    I never found it bad at all. It's €3.30 from here too, but it's nothing compared to a taxi or fuel/parking.

I went clondalkin to the aviva today. €5 petrol (says aa) and free on street parking

There is no bus to take me direct, 2 buses or train would mean car would be waaaay cheaper... To get to the city centre would be €6.60 return

Point is, the car is either more attractive or no different, cost wise compared with public transport

As we've seen already on a side note, traffic is a nightmare in a lot of places lately for commuters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

try living outside of dub, a 15 minute trip with no stops between pick up and drop off is 6 quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

there is no excuse, even for an infrequent bus user not to have a leap card, which would reduce that €3.30 down to €2.60
    they're not even personalised, so you can share one between the household.

and they have a daily cap of €5.90, meaning even with two buses each way it's no more expensive that driving, without the headaches of trying to get parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

there is no excuse, even for an infrequent bus user not to have a leap card, which would reduce that €3.30 down to €2.60

and they have a daily cap of €5.90, meaning even with two buses each way it's no more expensive that driving, without the headaches of trying to get parking.

Plus the general cost of driving: petrol, insurance, tax, repayments (in some cases) etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

La_Gordy wrote: »
    The leap card also doesn't facilitate the 90 minute journey. The 10 journey cards used to be great but they're also up in price.

Yes it does! When you board a second bus or tram and i think train also within 90minutes of the first journey you get €1 off the 2nd journey so it works out much cheaper than two full fares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

There is....i left mine on the nightlink :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

foggy_lad wrote:
    Yes it does! When you board a second bus or tram and i think train also within 90minutes of the first journey you get €1 off the 2nd journey so it works out much cheaper than two full fares.

It certainly works bus and bus within ninety minutes and bus and luas - haven't had occasion to use a train yet. For ages it didn't have the old Travel 90 facility but it does now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ah it's bad enough. If you're a group of 4 going out for the night you might as well pay for a taxi. For a couple and a school kid heading from the suburbs to the city it's not far off €8 one way, so around €15/16 round trip,. You might as well drive in and pay for private parking which won't come to that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you're a group of 4 going out for the night you might as well pay for a taxi.
    +1, normal buses & nitelink. Years ago there would be gangs of us heading out and it never crossed our minds to get even a 6 person taxi, as it was bound to cost a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Only saw that recently as I was out of curiosity trying to weigh up costs of driving to and from work, against using a bus.

Comparing the cost of Dublin bus against driving, driving won hands down. No real savings, but you can't put a figure on being in the comfort of your own car.

With some rough maths, Bus would be more expensive then fuel spent in a car journey, and obviously your excluding all the benefits of having a car, and not being restricted to a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Apparently, in bad economic times prices need to be hiked because of lower government support and fewer paying passengers. And in good economic times, prices need to be hiked because of a need to invest in new capacity for the extra paying passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Wait till its like london, cashless service

Advertisement