Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

christeings

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's 4 stages in the intiation process, you're Baptised, make your first Confession and take the Sacrament of Communion. The final stage is Confirmation, where you become a full made member of the church. Once you are made you can never truly leave. You're a Catholic for life and that's something to be proud of.

An Irish Catholic, a soldier of Christ. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

What course does a single parent have to do?

You only have to do the first half. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

anncoates wrote: »
    Reads like an Prince album sleeve from the 80s.

Y u wanna treat me so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

There's 4 stages in the intiation process, you're Baptised, make your first Confession and take the Sacrament of Communion. The final stage is Confirmation, where you become a full made member of the church. Once you are made you can never truly leave. You're a Catholic for life and that's something to be proud of.

An Irish Catholic, a soldier of Christ. :)

Please tell me you are being sarcastic?

If not then commiserations about being dropped on the head as a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

catallus wrote: »
    Such wilful blindness to the facts can be remedied by the pursuit of knowledge:

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21629218-rapid-spread-christianity-forcing-official-rethink-religion-cracks

Verily, in this case, the patient must minister to himself.....

Stopped reading when i seen the 'Religion in China' heading.

lizzyman wrote: »
    Please tell me you are being sarcastic?

If not then commiserations about being dropped on the head as a kid.

He's still there for you kid, I assume you are a made member of the CC who has lapsed. The Lord will always be there if you want to come back to him. (only in your lifetime)

If you don't repent before your time it probably won't be so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

He's still there for you kid, I assume you are a made member of the CC who has lapsed. The Lord will always be there if you want to come back to him. (only in your lifetime)

If you don't repent before your time it probably won't be so nice.

Made member? Ok Godfather

Anytime you want to return the Lord is there for you. When you're about to shift off this mortal coil it won't be George Carlin you're thinking of it will be the Lord. He will be there for you right till the end, all you have to do is accept him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Anytime you want to return the Lord is there for you. When you're about to shift off this mortal coil it won't be George Carlin you're thinking of it will be the Lord. He will be there for you right till the end, all you have to do is accept him.

I thought you prefer it when they don't because you enjoy the thought of people going to hell?

• Advertisement

I thought you prefer it when they don't because you enjoy the thought of people going to hell?

I'm a mere mortal and I do enjoy the thought of some who have wronged me suffering for eternity, not anybody who I've interacted with online obviously but actual people who I know in real life and despise.

Hate is a strong emotion and we're supposed to forgive just like the Lord did. Christ forgave Judas and pardoned the sins of one of the two thugs who were crucified next to him.

Out of the Darkness and into the Light

I'm a mere 'religious person' and I do enjoy the thought of some who have wronged me suffering for eternity , not anybody who I've interacted with online obviously but actual people who I know in real life and despise.

Hate is a strong emotion and we're supposed to forgive just like the Lord did. Christ forgave Judas and pardoned the sins of the two thugs who were crucified next to him.

Out of the Darkness and into the Light

FYP. Spoken like a true christian.

I guess it must take religious indoctrination to make you whack off to the idea of people suffering for eternity. As an atheist I find the idea of eternal suffering, even for someone I despise, to be a truly appalling.

True Christian? Do you not understand that those who don't accept the Lord will suffer? Christianity is all happy clappy when you adhere to the code, but step out of line or not accept the saviour and you're going to Hell.

Like a Streight up menace...

True Christian? Do you not understand that those who don't accept the Lord will suffer? Christianity is all happy clappy when you adhere to the code, but step out of line or not accept the saviour and you're going to Hell.

Like a Streight up menace...

Meh... whatever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

How can parents who are not adhering to the Catholic way of life seriously swear an oath to ensure the child being baptised will be brought up adhering to the Catholic religion when they themselves aren't adhering to it?

Like the way the priests do you mean? I've been wondering how there's gay priests or ones riding the housekeeper and having babies with them, when they're all supposed to be celibate.... Or have they changed that rule?
    None of them ever get flung out..

On a side note (and relevant to the thread) I have 5 kids and the youngest will be christened next month, I could give the course at this stage, but I still have to do it.. I did score 2 free candles at the last one, came in handy one night there was a power cut :D

Meh... whatever...

G'eh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

It's unusual to see a person with access to the internet believing in a heaven/hell scenario in 2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

How can parents who are not adhering to the Catholic way of life seriously swear an oath to ensure the child being baptised will be brought up adhering to the Catholic religion when they themselves aren't adhering to it?

They aren't swearing it seriously.
    They are swearing it as just a bit of unserious lighthearted pageantry and a bit of a knees up that they go through so that their kids can get into the right schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 amie lee

I've heard it can cost anything around 100 euros and at least have to give priest 50 euros for ceramony that's 150 euros before U leave the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

They aren't swearing it seriously.
    They are swearing it as just a bit of unserious lighthearted pageantry and a bit of a knees up that they go through so that their kids can get into the right schools.

Ergo: all the 'right schools' are catholic?

I suppose the question is, are you as a parent going to have to send your child to a different school to all their friends (which might not even be in the locality) just because you don't want to go through the motions and get the cert?

What if the shoe was on the other foot and it was the parent who had to be baptised in order to get the cert for the child, would they 'take the soup' then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

amie lee wrote: »
    I heard is this TRUE that unmarried couples now have to do a parent coarse before U can christen your baby cause U not married
    I've heard it can cost anything around 100 euros and at least have to give priest 50 euros for ceramony that's 150 euros before U leave the house

You need to get new sources! Both are far from true in my own experience. The church will not go out of its way to make it hard for new members to join.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭vertmann

Why not just have a conversation with the local priest and ask him these things. Or just join the Jedi

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

catallus wrote: »

To deny the spiritual nature of humans is obviously in fashion in the safe non-offensive part of the world we find ourselves in; we can afford nihilism entry into our lives because we have been told nothing can hurt us; but this is a lie.

It's entirely possible to embrace your spirituality without being in any way religious. Religion and spirituality are not interchangeable terms (however for some people religion comprises part of their spiritual identity)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If you're a committed Catholic, that shouldn't be a problem. Supporting mother church and all that.

You are a committed catholic, aren't you? You believe that the bread and wine are actually transsubstantiated into the living flesh and blood of the son of God? You attend mass every Sunday? Don't eat meat on a Friday?

If not, I'm happy to report that you can save all that cash by not participating in a sacrament you don't believe in. If you just want the party, have the party. It'll be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Exactly. How can you promise to bring the kid up as a Catholic if you're clearly not adhering to the Catholic way of life yourselves ie living in sin, having a baby out of wedlock etc.

Personally I don't think you should waste your time indoctrinating your child into a religion. Why not respect the child and allow it decide what if any religion it wants to subscribe to itself when it is old enough to make its own mind up?

The Irish mammy is a thing to be feared and a beast that must be appeased in the majority of these cases. Plus there is the omnishambles of school placements to consider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I heard is this TRUE that unmarried couples now have to do a parent coarse before U can christen your baby cause U not married

No, that's not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭vertmann

I've also heard that they eat their young. Without salt .

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

TBH I didn't see the point in there being a whole 'Preparation Evening' thing, all it did was go through the format of the ceremony, say that the child could have a max of 2 god parents, and tell parents where they could get the candle/robes etc if they wanted. It could have all been done with an information leaflet.

My husband is a practicing Catholic, and insisted our son be baptised. If it were up to me he'd never see the inside of a church apart from weddings or funerals etc. I suppose the only good thing to come out of it is at least it'll be easier to get him in to school. All the schools in my area are Catholic (and one COI) and my friend's sister teaches in one of them; last time I was talking to her I mentioned that I had started putting my son's name down for schools and the first thing she said to me was "Is he baptised?" and when I said he was, she said that was good because otherwise I wouldn't have had a hope of getting him into one of the schools in the area - they've all got waiting lists for Junior Infants and priority is given to Catholic kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Did they not get rid of all them heads with wings flying around purgatory/limbo ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It can be done online now and you can pay the priest via paypal too, so yes, no house-leaving is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

retalivity wrote: »
    It can be done online now and you can pay the priest via paypal too, so yes, no house-leaving is required.

Holy water must be expensive. It's like a privet club pay to become a member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

When did Adam and Eve get married ?

They would've but Adam identified as a woman for a while and missed his window when he decided it wasn't for him after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

vertmann wrote: »
    I've also heard that they eat their young. Without salt .

I heard worse. I heard that they put salt on their young even before tasting them. Height of rudeness and devilry.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

P_1 wrote: »
    The Irish mammy is a thing to be feared and a beast that must be appeased in the majority of these cases. Plus there is the omnishambles of school placements to consider

here we go again with the "Irish mammy" shite. For Pete's sake people, grow a pair and stop being afraid of middle-aged harridans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

anncoates wrote: »
    Reads like an Prince album sleeve from the 80s.

Brilliant tactic to defeat the grammar nazis!
    Overwhelm them so they don't even know where to start.

Some parents can be rather coarse now and then I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Holy water must be expensive. It's like a privet club pay to become a member.

National Hedgetrimmers Association? Pricy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement